Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: *YAWN* Its been held back longer

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    I'm actually on FCs side for this one.

Try running some older games, quite a lot just flat out don't run on 32-64bit system without DOSBox Emulation. Is it the developers fault if you can't run the older software because you have purchased hardware that doesn't support the game? Ofc not, that's ridiculous.

It's like trying to pour petrol into a steam engine and complaining that it won't work.
    Actually it IS Funcom to blame for this.

If you want your customers to play your game, you have to make sure your game runs on current available hardware, not the other way around.

The way FC is acting now they will be running behind further and further every day.
    They want to do things right? They have to push out the engine so it is compatible (again?) with newer hardware, but to be honest I don't see that happening before the game gets shut down.

But people still keep playing, and paying, and finding their own way to run AO on their system, so there is NO incentive for FC AT ALL in any way to speed up the development on ANY part of AO.
    Simply because people are still paying even when FC is /mooning and laughing at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    That's because nVidia drivers still have support for DX7 in them, unlike the Intel onboard gfx chipset.
    As well as AMD.
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

Quote Originally Posted by fakiiri View Post
    Actually not frying but they used (and still do) to desolder from mobo when they heat up too much. Just because some environmental hippies wanted to ban lead from solders (that lil sticker saying "RoHS" on your laptop).
    Same thing that kills xboxes ps's etc etc.

Funny fact no 3258676. NASA and Military said they won't be using lead-free solder.
    Actually lead free solder has a higher melting point than 60/40 or whatever they use on PCBs. The problem is not the solder, its aggressive thermal profiles coupled with poor heat dissipation technologies. The laptop desoldering issues (taking HP Pavillions as an example, since HP actually got sued for it) were easily fixed by consumer mods that simply focused on improving the cooling and contact surfaces of the cooling solutions. Even replacing the thermal pads with decent compound was enough in many cases. Same for red rings on 360s, replace the thermal compound, shim the heatsinks, and keep the internals clean, and thermal death will not be a problem.

Intel's support sucks because they were aiming to squeeze every bit of performance out of an integrated solution. It's hard to build in tons of hardware compatibility for rendering techniques and systems that simply aren't used anymore when you need to fit it all onto a multicore CPU die. It sucks, but Intel tends to be very practical these days, and there just isn't that much demand for DX7 compatibility at this point.

AMD on the other hand doesn't have an excuse for their dedicated cards not being very compatible. A full fledged enthusiast GPU should support any relevant standard you could conceivably throw at it in a game, and do it at least passably.

Cheers.
    -= Make the new engine look even better. Don't forget to post a screenshot! =-

So, rough translation...

"I bought a new laptop with a base-model built-in graphics card and it does not support the technology used for this game. I am mad i cannot play and since I could not possibly have done anything without doing my due diligence on support, i am going to /cry and blame the game's developer."

Sound about right? Kind of silly, no?
    Proud Member of Paradise

No. If Anarchy was a win 98 game I found in the attic and it didn't work on my new computer then I it's not the developers fault. However when the game something they are still selling and charging money for then you should expect it to run on modern hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    I'm actually on FCs side for this one.
    It's like trying to pour petrol into a steam engine and complaining that it won't work.
    Why on earth are they still selling steam engines?

That's false logic and your anger is misdirected.

Game developers do not redevelop existing games every time a new DX comes out. To assume that they do/should is simply faulty.

You should be upset at Intel, who in the efforts of making something cheaper to increase their profit margin has left out a standard that is still used (and not just by AO).

The price discussion is moot here, as you choose to pay for the game and so if you don't like it, don't pay. That's a completely independent decision point from the above discussion and only serves to muddy water.
    Proud Member of Paradise

Quote Originally Posted by Bonghigs View Post
    That's false logic and your anger is misdirected.

Game developers do not redevelop existing games every time a new DX comes out. To assume that they do/should is simply faulty.
    So in your argument a game that's over 10 years old shouldn't update to run better DX systems?? Sorry but your just wrong here, I agree that they don't need to upgrade every time a new DX is out but if you look on the market of the modern and current computer systems most are capable of running DX 11 and if they want there game to still have a place in the current market for new players and old players running these kinds of systems then I think its only right that they keep up with the times and technology advances.

If they can't upgrade or wont upgrade there systems then they will completely fall off the market and AO will die.

You really don't understand the game market, On the market you are been offered new sparkling games with the latest graphics and then you have AO and its expensive to play compared to others on the market.

Would you pay more money for a black and white TV or would you pay less for the latest smart HD flat screen TV ???
    220 Sheilded MP And Proud

Quote Originally Posted by zoneik View Post
    So in your argument a game that's over 10 years old shouldn't update to run better DX systems?? Sorry but your just wrong here, I agree that they don't need to upgrade every time a new DX is out but if you look on the market of the modern and current computer systems most are capable of running DX 11 and if they want there game to still have a place in the current market for new players and old players running these kinds of systems then I think its only right that they keep up with the times and technology advances.

If they can't upgrade or wont upgrade there systems then they will completely fall off the market and AO will die.

You really don't understand the game market, On the market you are been offered new sparkling games with the latest graphics and then you have AO and its expensive to play compared to others on the market.

Would you pay more money for a black and white TV or would you pay less for the latest smart HD flat screen TV ???
    If the B&W set received game of thrones/ breaking bad / walking dead / etc, and the new HD flat screen only received x-factor, MTV etc I'd go with the B&W.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

I seem to recall AMD announcing that they are dropping pre-DX9 support from the Catalyst driver as well soon-ish, and I would be surprised if Nvidia wouldn't follow suit.
    So, yeah, updating AO builds to run on DX9 _will_ be necessary in the near future.

I have a 290x. It set me back a cool $700 and is capable of running a yet unreleased version of DirectX.

Funcom, what the hell.

Well, I guess people with intel processors can force AO to use the HD3000 interface rather than their expensive GPU.

Rolain a lot of people with Intel integrated gpus have tons of issues running the game as intel discontinued support on DX7 on their drivers a long, long time ago.

Wonder how impossible it'd be to wrap AO's DX7 + it's hacked bits and pieces into OpenGL or DirectX9.. and if it's even worth it given the new engine is coming.
    Michizure is love, Michizure is life.
    --
    Dywas - 220/30/70 Neutral Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Caramela - 220/30/70 Neutral Solitus Doctor
    Desejos - 220/30/?? Neutral Atrox Enforcer
    Gretchenross - 220/30/?? Neutral Opifex Shade
    Bizzle - 220/30/70 Neutral Atrox Soldier

--<3 Professional love--
    * Aiken pets Lazy on the head. Sure it is, you keep telling self that
    <Aiken> such a cutesy clammer aren't you *cheekpinch*
    <Lazy>
    <Lazy> viva la revolucion
    * Dywas decides to walk away from the soon-to-be sexytime
    <Aiken> lol Dywas, Id make a man of him
    <Lazy> Dywas, i'd go gay for aiken. no lie

Funcom employee

Hi,
    We do have people assigned to looking into this and hopefully creating a work around for the chips that are no longer supported. What would be helpful to us is if people who have problems running the game would post their dxdiag.txt for us. Either post it here or send an email that references this thread to help.funcom.com

How to obtain Dxdiag:
    If you are running Windows XP or higher go to your task bar.
    Click on, "Start Button".
    Click on, "Run".
    In the pop-up window enter dxdiag and hit ok.
    The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
    Click on, "Save all information".
    Save As" window should be present.
    Click on, "Save" (The file should be saved to your desktop as dxdiag.txt)
    Exit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Any card that has trouble with the game would be useful, regardless of brand (AMD, INTEL, NVIDIA etc.)

@Nusquam: Thanks for replying!

Feels great to have some feedback regarding this kind of issue when two people in my family can't play the game because of it.

Posting DXDiag info for one of my family member's laptops (normal and 64bit, just in case there's a difference).
    Running W7, it has Switchable Graphics with Intel HD Graphics 4000 + AMD HD7670M. (listed as 7600M series on the drivers)

Issues are the "usual", ground disappears and red grid-like nano effects filling the entire screen. FPS are normal/fast.

32-bit DXDIAG:
    http://pastebin.com/Fy62F5bu

64-bit DXDIAG:
    http://pastebin.com/8B0dJ4Bp

--

Let me know if pastebin links are not acceptable, I'll e-mail these if needed. I'll add the other laptop's info when I have access to it.
    Last edited by DigitalBath; Nov 14th, 2014 at 16:22:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Nusquam View Post
    Hi,
    We do have people assigned to looking into this and hopefully creating a work around for the chips that are no longer supported. What would be helpful to us is if people who have problems running the game would post their dxdiag.txt for us. Either post it here or send an email that references this thread to help.funcom.com

How to obtain Dxdiag:
    If you are running Windows XP or higher go to your task bar.
    Click on, "Start Button".
    Click on, "Run".
    In the pop-up window enter dxdiag and hit ok.
    The DirectX Diagnostic Tool pop-up window should appear.
    Click on, "Save all information".
    Save As" window should be present.
    Click on, "Save" (The file should be saved to your desktop as dxdiag.txt)
    Exit the DirectX Diagnostic Tool.

Any card that has trouble with the game would be useful, regardless of brand (AMD, INTEL, NVIDIA etc.)
    I'm really glad to see someone at the dev team giving us some feedback rather then leaving us completely in the dark, so for this a big thanks for the infomation.

I'd advise people to E-mail there DxDiag files to them rather then flood this page to stop unneeded trolling about system power, Although if anyone does have some "real" working fixed untill the FC team make a proper fix i'd appreciate it
    220 Sheilded MP And Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    if i buy a playstation i cant complain to funcom that my playstation cant run ao.

you cant realy complain to funcom if u have a computer from 1980 and say hey you guys suck becose my computer cant run this game.
    So you suggest buying an old Laptop just for Anarchy online and nothing modern, rather then buy the latest Laptop that should run AO and many other games.. It just shows how incompetent Funcom as a company have become, if they leave it any longer, future PCs might not support AO then they'd be in trouble, cause I for one wont be using old technology to run 1 game that's not changed with the times, snooze you lose.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Qualinas
    You're kinda slow, aren't you, Mr. Nov09?

Well, its not everyday when I google for funcom or access funcom.com.
    Oh noes j00 want me to bring my "Join date: 2004" main to pwn yo? lols @ forum pvp

I tried to login to AO to check the current status of the game but came across some technical issues i tried to troubleshoot the gfx glitches for a few days but i must say i give up because im tooo lazy to spend more time troubleshooting.
    However what i can do is describe the problems and hopefully someone with time and technical knowledge can figure out what is the problem.

The problem description:
    The gfx seems fine when logon but as soon as you move your character there is huge red lines and missing textures. This is not "artefact's" which is related to fried gpu, because the issue only occurs with AO and no other games i play, for example StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Counter strike 1,6, COD Black ops 2, Titanfall, Crysis 3, etc etc

What i have tried to resolve this issue:
    - Made AO using primary GFX in nvidia settings
    - Reinstalled AO
    - Downloaded new AO client
    - Moved AO folder out of C:\
    - Tried different gfx settings
    - Tried to make AO client compatible to older windows versions

What im about to try, but to lazy to do:
    - Since i have latest nvidia drivers i plan to downgrade my nvidia driver to older version, but im too lazy and thinking it is not worth trying this because i actually need the latest nvidia driver.

Specs:
    MSI GP70 Leopard laptop
    Windows 8.1 64-bit (6.3, Build 9600)
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210H CPU @ 2.90GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.9GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 840M

What i think the issue may be?
    I have actually solved similar issue long long ago, where i updated SM bus (controller that handles data between nvidia gpu and intell cpu) and the gfx glitches got resolved. But nowdays i dont see any SM Bus drivers in nvidia installations at all.
    My conclusion is this is not hardware related issue, but software related issue.
    Last edited by UNIDENTIFIED; Nov 18th, 2014 at 02:14:58.
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    if i buy a playstation i cant complain to funcom that my playstation cant run ao.

you cant realy complain to funcom if u have a computer from 1980 and say hey you guys suck becose my computer cant run this game.
    lolwut, dude I had to return a computer in 2010 because it wouldn't run AO and I had just bought a new computer. Simple laptop, I didn't expect it to run 10 AOs, just one, and it couldn't because it had the integreted intel chipset. Noone is saying their 15 year old system should run AO like a brand new computer does, that doesn't make sense. The complaint is an incompatibility with certain chipsets due to using a directx version thats horribly out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by Legion84 View Post
    So you suggest buying an old Laptop just for Anarchy online and nothing modern, rather then buy the latest Laptop that should run AO and many other games.. It just shows how incompetent Funcom as a company have become, if they leave it any longer, future PCs might not support AO then they'd be in trouble, cause I for one wont be using old technology to run 1 game that's not changed with the times, snooze you lose.
    Why are you raging at Funcom over a post some random player made? The only dev response in this thread says they are looking into the issue, and thats the best response anyone has gotten for years. I understand that we may not always get what we want from Funcom, but recently they(read:Michizure) has either been redirecting resources or at the very least informing us of operations to improve common game play issues that we have been having for years.

AO System requirements is outdated

Processor: Pentium II 300
    Memory: 512MB
    Graphics: DirectX 3D 8Mb video card
    DirectX: 9.0c
    Hard Drive: 700mb
    Sound: DirectX Compatible

Source: http://www.funcom.com/games/ao
    . . . everything in creation is impermanenT

Quote Originally Posted by UNIDENTIFIED View Post
    AO System requirements is outdated

Processor: Pentium II 300