Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Forum Upgrade

Bunch of whiners! To me, pale gray text on a dark gray background is a lot easier to look at for a long time than white text on a dark green background (which is what we had before in case you all forgot, yep almost the same thing, light text on dark background).
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Somebody please tell me that I still roxxor.
    you still roxxor, even though the forums no longer say so.

Level 1 to 300 in 8 Years! Pwn!
    - Join us on Discord! -
    AO WIKI!
    Arcanum!

this is like the new engine: took too long and totally failed
    congrats for ruining the forums too, the only place we could have some fun these days
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

Oh thats a lot better!
    Last edited by Neista; Sep 10th, 2014 at 09:47:33.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Agreed. This old color theme is much more pleasant. But change the icons as well. Current ones look way too generic. For example this is what I did on our org forums back in 2011 (ignore missing banner). I'm not saying it's perfect, just use a bit more creativity and make them easy to distinguish. Icon must have high contrast in first place, which these don't have.

Can't you get some smaller icons for us. The current ones are uselessly huge and annoying...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I figured I'd make a thread for feedback on how the forums works and/or looks after the upgrade.Here's my bit:
    • When visiting https://forums.anarchy-online.com/, it loads content (scripts, possibly styles) from http://forums.anarchy-online.com/. Chrome blocks insecure content on secure sites, and this makes it impossible to log in without manually allowing the insecure content, every time.
    • Quick-Search: Defaults to showing results by thread. Is there any way to make it display results as the actual posts which matched the criteria?
    • Advanced search: Defaults to a mode which search multiple content types. Such as groups, group messages, visitor messages etc. It might be more practical to default to searching only forum content, i.e. "Search single content type" which currently defaults to searching by posts.
    • Text editor: When writing posts, once the main text input field loses focus, the background goes from white to dark green, making the black text nearly invisible.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

posting..mmm interesting

good to see the most important part of AO is up and upgrade...wtb forum post count again..need to level up meh trolls ^_=
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Autohead View Post
    Bunch of whiners! To me, pale gray text on a dark gray background is a lot easier to look at for a long time than white text on a dark green background (which is what we had before in case you all forgot, yep almost the same thing, light text on dark background).
    bahaha agreed. whiny bunch we are. ahaha i dont care either way - most my stuff is white on black. i also welcome this new style ... this middle-ground (? LOL) that looks identical to the old just shinier... but most importantly i like the fact it was upgraded.

One thing is for certain, i'm amazed anything gets done at all AO-wise with the rampant cainophobia, metathesiophobia and general neophobia pathological tendencies all those years of farming and foruming have bred into its playerbase (yes, bittervet is just too kind a description!).

Hahaha Funcom, you can try and try to fix a game/business, but I'm not really sure you will succeed in fixing us players' warped and self-inflicted communal dystopia it seems
    Oh lawdy this made me laugh today thank you FC thank you fellow dystopians hahaha 3 times googled something in the forums today and every time a different look hahaha.
    Shadow Ops
    Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
    They'll say we're disturbing the peace, but there is no peace. What really bothers them is that we are disturbing the war.
    Tired of little elves with bows? Fed up with spell-flinging goblins? Bored to death by the solitary world of linear games? Despair not. Freedom is on its way, and its name is Anarchy Online.
    Web: http://www.shadowops-online.org | Twitter: @ShadowOpsOnline | AO: Milestones & History

Heh, seems I missed the first iteration of new forums yesterday, and a good thing too! I like the look of it now.

+1 to much preferring light text on dark background. Dark text on white background is way too much brightness that drowns out small lettering detail. It's much easier on my eyes to have dark background with the brightness coming from the things I want to take note of, not look for the holes in.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I was hoping for a more ao-styled theme. Maybe some background screenies/artwork of our game.
    Right now when i look at it, it looks like someone just còpy/pasted som random furom... more design, more ao into it!

(Ola forum was very bad tog. )
    Valhall Guardians

Thapetowner 220 Meta-Physicist
    Hyimoliver 220 Soldier
    Ihatemyself 200 Shade
    Hardcore 200 Adventurer
    Ilovetokill 170 Agent
    Ilovetodrain 150 Trader
    Oxiahe 150 Doctor
    Critterz 150 Martial-Artist
    Awaaa 74 Soldier

I'm colorblind and I like it. I also have poor memory of colors and don't remember the old color styles .
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

I'd rather have something better than the old ugly green. It is however better than that black high contrast theme. Still if your going for an upgrade you should make it worthwhile and make something new and pleasing without looking like it has for 13 years. I always liked the coloring they used on aoc forums if you want in house design advise. http://forums.ageofconan.com/index.php?

Angry

/facepalm to those forums update
    /s update ur Homepage !!!

http://www.anarchy-online.com/wsp/an...ent&navID=1142

Credits

Production

Producer: Dave Williams

Game Director: Fia Tjernberg

Lead Programmer: Patrik Persson

Programmers: Sjur Helland, Remco van Oosterhout

Game Designers: Helene Grøstad, Brad L. McAtee, Henry Senger

Lead Artist: Ole Jacob Kielland

Production Artists: Tony Westerlund, Rob Milus, Anton Adamse

Audio: Simon Poole

Quality Assurance

US Office Manager: Edward J Walsh III

Asst. Customer Service Manager: Mike LaCross

Build Lead: Michael Søvik

Quality Assurance Manager: Espen Bakken

Quality Assurance: William Sherrill, David Muraca, Beate Hanssen, Michel Kafer, Erika Billowitz, Lars Erik Tollisen

Volunteer Manager: Daniel McCusker

Volunteer Asst. Manager and Exploits: Dennis Douthett

Operations and Infrastructure

Operations Director: Ole Schreiner

Lead Database Administrator: Andrew Wilson

Senior System Architect: Torbjørn Lindgren

Operations Manager: Trond Ystanes

System Administrators: Per Kristiansen, Marius Hesleskaug, Mattias Brandt

Product Management: Jørgen Tharalsden, Terri Perkins

Billing Manager: Alex Cowan

Senior Billing Developer: Jamie Chen

Senior Tools Developer: Fellyn Silliman

Web Designer & Developer: Adam Davis

Senior Community Manager: Oliver Kunz

Community Managers: Glen Swan, Johannes Rebhan, Amber Croix Skinner

Community Coordinator: Lars Malcharek

/s remove those multiboxing dancing IDIOTS at Borealis
    /s fix the ingame Economy, since last autum at db change is the drop of every lowered
    /s lower monthly subscribe
    Last edited by Anarrina; Sep 11th, 2014 at 00:01:47.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. [attributed to Albert Einstein]

Quote Originally Posted by doctorgore View Post
    I'd rather have something better than the old ugly green. It is however better than that black high contrast theme. Still if your going for an upgrade you should make it worthwhile and make something new and pleasing without looking like it has for 13 years. I always liked the coloring they used on aoc forums if you want in house design advise. http://forums.ageofconan.com/index.php?
    My sentiments are with you 100%.
    If I could upvote you or your post I would.

The white on black looked not 'quite right', even though that theme is what I always use on every device everywhere, specifically so that it doesn't cause strain on my eyes. Perhaps some of the people (also complaining about improved gfx due to upgrading computer) were afraid to upgrade their monitors also, so looking at it with their 1994 monitors may not only cause it to not display correctly, they might actually lose an eye!

It's not that I don't like the "old ugly green that we've used for over 10 years" .. .it's amazingly unique. Emerald Green it's called, its beautiful. And it has cameo appearances in everything from kryptonite in superman to cyberpunk grids in old sci-fi movies (Way before The Matrix!), Emerald City in Wizard of Oz, to The Goonies in the amazingly deep green coloured emeralds/gems and...The Thirteenth Floor... so on.

But yea - that AOC and TSW forums look a lot more like what I personally would have preferred - a lot shinier! They really could take this unique colour and make it our own. Google 'emerald green, superman, gems, grid, sci-fi, cyberpunk, etc)

Having said that, I'm not about to start whining at FC on how this theme or ugly old green has aggravated a medical condition ...geez
    Shadow Ops
    Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
    They'll say we're disturbing the peace, but there is no peace. What really bothers them is that we are disturbing the war.
    Tired of little elves with bows? Fed up with spell-flinging goblins? Bored to death by the solitary world of linear games? Despair not. Freedom is on its way, and its name is Anarchy Online.
    Web: http://www.shadowops-online.org | Twitter: @ShadowOpsOnline | AO: Milestones & History

That's massively better no more pain when using, thanks.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Hooray, AO green returns!

If we still have a stylistic issue with the icons, I'd be happy to make an AO-themed set.
    Aldebaran "Krisanthe" Fairchild, Director
    Krisaata "Krisalee" Liandra, Communications Officer
    Kathryn "Krisaria" Fairchild, Medical Officer

== THE HOMESTEAD ACCORD ==
    Exploration - Colonization - Commerce

http://www.homesteadaccord.org/

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast