Thread: NPE - Concerns (and suggested solutions)

NPE - Concerns (and suggested solutions)

I will use this thread to point out things in Arete that I think should be looked at again, after testing. Feel free to add your own experiences or discuss concerns / suggested solutions, but please keep it constructive and clean.
    And when you're not on test, your argument towards anything on there is irrelevant.

General

- Give new players more ammunition. I'd say at least 1000 for the start. Ammunition isn't what makes you OP or anything, new players will find out soon enough, that they need it and where to buy it. But a stack of 100 is just a no. You can hardly make it to Alex with that amount.
    Also, why is there a vendor in the market that sells ammo for way less than the ammo terms? Since a newbie will need ammo very soon, I'd suggest placing the vendor closer to the start (If you won't increase the given ammo). That way new players will have to run all the way back, if they want new ammo for less than what the term wants. Teaches them very soon, that laziness will hurt their wallet.

- What happened to the original storyline of being crashed and stranded? I couldn't find anything in the first NPC chats, that indicates why the player is even there and what happened. It's just all about getting an ID. Imo this should be added again, to add sense to the whole thing.

- Lolly the Reet. Why does she attack when you attack a Desert Reet? Or why is she even killable? So far I couldn't find a Questline that asks me to kill her, so since she's a needed Quest Mob and can hurt real bad when you're lvl 5 or lower, she should be soothed.
    Also, her speed is a little too much. It was kind of hard to keep up with her, to open the chatwindow to give her the cookie.

- I haven't rolled an advi/enf on Arete yet, but I'm pretty sure you will still need the Leet Spine to upgrade the 1he weapons. Thing is just, that leets are firstly very far away, and secondly lvl 10-12. That way a 1he char will have a disadvantage to everyone who can just kill a few fleas/robos for their needed update, since these mobs are lvl 3-4 I think.
    The same goes for the Bone Plates that drop off Minibulls. They're also far away and around lvl 10.

- Weapon Dealer Remi. So this quest is for paid players only. Why is that? I think froobs should be able to get ranged / melee compos as well. Especially since prices for compos have gone up a lot in ICC. My suggestion here would be to make 2 new froob-friendly questlines: One for ranged and one for melee compos. Additionally keep the Remi paid questline, but change the reward. Since this is apparently a Lost Eden kind of quest, the reward should be VP. And I'd say 200. Either at once or in a two-step questline, each 100. A new player that is full paid will have it hard enough to get VP, so this would help a lot I think. That way, as soon as in ICC one OFAB armor piece can be purchased. Or to save the VP for the first hud3.

- I've noticed that bosses are already very camped on Test. This could turn into a real issue once this hits live and many people will want to try NPE. I think the reason is simply that the loot is too good. I fished a Pow Bow off the flea boss the other day and I heard about low level SOL-K's etc. This isn't needed in Arete. The old boss loot tables were good enough for new players.

- But since the loot is so good, and in case this will just stay as it is: A backpack vendor is very much needed.

- When you start on Arete you can follow this one questline that brings you to your ID, so you can then leave this place. I generally think this is a great thing for new players, but I think a lot of quests will go unnoticed for someone who's new and is still focused on everything new around and just following instructions. What I'm trying to say is: Some quests are hard to find, because there are no indicators anywhere.
    For example the credit card. While Maddy is telling you how sad she is, that she lost her credit card, and the blue name *maybe* brings you to the conclusion you're supposed to help her, there is simply no help at all, where to look for the lost credit card. Maybe a better hint in the dialogue would already help. Or just give players a mission that says "Find the lost credit card" but without a waypoint. Or maybe even both.
    The same goes for the Leet King. I only stumbled upon him, because I saw people talking about it on Social, and then figured Arete must be bigger than I thought and went exploring.
    Just put a little hint here and there for new players, so they know they're not done yet, when they have their ID.

- Choosing a side. A new player probably doesn't know they can choose a side already on Arete. Not sure if a new player would even understand that there are different sides, since the conflict isn't really mentioned anywhere either. Sure, there are protesters and Omni Tek and all, but as a new player? I'm not so sure if they'd get the hint.
    I think this could easily be solved, when Vaughn would just ask the player if they chose a side already, and if not, and if they want to, where to go. Add a waypoint here.

- Once you're clan, you can still do the Omni Tek recruitement quest. (Which is nice for xp.) Is this intended? I would have thought the Omni Leader wouldn't talk to me anymore, once I'm clan. Would be supporting the conflict.

- Why are Neuts completely left behind on Arete? I couldn't find a Neutral Observer as on Noob Island. He should be placed somewhere around the gate again.

- The Alien Ship is way too far away. At first I thought there weren't any aliens anymore in Arete, but after running and fighting my way through the desert, I finally found some greenish mobs. It's good for players who want to level in Arete and spend some time there, but for a vet who has seen it all and just wants the first two ai-level and head off, this is annoying. I think there needs to be found some kind of balance, so people have the opportunity to rush through, as well as others can enjoy staying there and level up. Just bring it closer to the market place, maybe behind the Arena.

I haven't tested every single profession on Arete yet, so I can only share my experiences with MP and Shade so far.

MP

- Pets now lvl with the MP. It's okay I think, needs lots more testing in other level ranges to see how huge the impact is, but on Arete it's fine. Problem is just: How is a new player supposed to know that? They land on Arete, they get a pet nano, they cast it and that's it. To make the pet level you have to recast it each time you increased your skills, but a new player will never be so smart. Put a hint somewhere. Big hint.

- Why bow? I mean, bow is good, but MPs have a lot more weapons to choose from, so I think they should be presented with bow, 1hb, 2hb when they start. Maybe even a Creation-Nano in very low.

- Remove the Cooldown on the Arete Petnano. This is horrible. The pet dies very easily, the MP lvls very fast and this just doesn't fit.

- The MP dies very easily too. Mainly because the pet can't tank, can't damage, has very low inits.

- I experienced the nuke gets countered a lot. A very, very lot. Even by green mobs, with maxed skills.

Shade

- Shade is completely OP in Arete. Can't be a lvl 4-5 toon can just do 2x lvl 12 mobs at once, without getting in trouble at all.

- Why do shades only get one weapon when they start? And why does it only have Sneak Attack as special? A new player could get very confused by that. I can already see newbies thinking this is how it is supposed to be, and they won't give their shade a second weap until someone mentions it to them. It's okay to make them buy the second one, but again, please put a hint somewhere.

- I had real troubles with Concealment on shade. Even at the very start, on lvl 2 and maxed Conceal PLUS the Compo buff, I couldn't sneak. All the malfunctioning robots have detected me.

That's it for now. Will add more, when I have more time testing other profs, unless it will be mentioned then already.
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    - What happened to the original storyline of being crashed and stranded?
    From the NPC chats I got we are supposed to have hidden in the cargo of the just landed ship, because we wanted to get to Rubi-Ka. Without proper ID the first task is now to somehow get one.

About the starting items:

I also think these can be very confusing to new players overall.
    I once saw a video about what I think was an earlier version of the NPE. There were huge on-screen notifications telling the player to equip the weapon, to raise i.e. CL to equip the belt, etc. This looked very helpful to get how to interact wit said items and the environment.

Same goes for hints about pets, at least a hint to read the (pet) nano description very carefully.
    Last edited by Misat0; Aug 15th, 2014 at 16:06:27.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

My 2 cents

General
    Startup nano packs:
    - I think the startup nano packages per profession have been cut down too much (also mentioned multiple times in other threads), maybe provide some follow up nanos in there also, or make extra profession nano packages which can be bought.

NCU:
    - Provide a way to get low ql NCU (lower than AI ship quest reward) in other ways besides the AI ship so people can use more than 2 nanos at once or can buff others / can receive buffs from others

Armor from Desmond Calistri missions:
    - There is a lot of difference between the AC's provided by each of the 3 backitems, maybe even this out a little bit more?

Implants:
    - Yes implants. In the shop various ql of basic implants are avaialbe: 5/10/20/30/40/50, but clusters are only availabe in ql 5 and 50.
    Maybe add some more cluster qualities?

Engineer:

- You start with a grenade launcher and a pistol (on the old shuttleport you only start with pistol) so you get a choice, however when going pistol you don't get info you can get a second pistol (same issue as shade?)

- You only get a level 1 pet, which gimps you bigtime when leveling in Arete (has been pointed out multiple times already in other threads)

Soldier:

- I find that the burst and FA recharge are huge, when you start out the FA has a recharge of more than 1 minute (don't know the old version on icc shuttleport)

@tigerengi

NCU
    These can drop from Arete mobs.
    What I think is missing is again a proper introduction to them for new players. A small quest giving the player a low QL NCU with instructions what they are for would be nice.

Specials
    I think the big special recharges could be considerably lowered on the starter weapons, but this might affect low level PvP.
    I don't know if it is technically possible to adjust the teleporting out of Arete so that it removes the low special recharge starter weapon from the player and spawns a version with the regular recharge to the inventory. This might affect tradeskilled starter weapons, too.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    NCU
    These can drop from Arete mobs.
    What I think is missing is again a proper introduction to them for new players. A small quest giving the player a low QL NCU with instructions what they are for would be nice.
    I vote for bringing the old "quest" back, where you have to bring the belt to Antonio and you'll get it back with an NCU chip.
    You can still go hunting them, or get them from the AI ship quest later on.

NCU
    There is a quest in Arete that gives you 3 NCU as a reward. And there is the follow on quest in ICC to get 3 higher QL NCU.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

- I've noticed that bosses are already very camped on Test. This could turn into a real issue once this hits live and many people will want to try NPE. I think the reason is simply that the loot is too good. I fished a Pow Bow off the flea boss the other day and I heard about low level SOL-K's etc. This isn't needed in Arete. The old boss loot tables were good enough for new players.

- But since the loot is so good, and in case this will just stay as it is: A backpack vendor is very much needed.
    I disagree on the Dyna loot. I think it's a good way to get new players acquainted with what dynas are and how they work. While I have farmed a few SOL K's from them, the drop-rate is so low (<1%) it's simply not worth it to spend that much time on it for something you're going to rapidly outgrow. A very nice find for new players if it does drop, but the only reason I farmed it was to see droprates and kinda twink out the Advie I'm using to test the NPE.

I think a better solution to the Dynas being camped is to reduce their spawn timers to match ICC Island levels. ICC was 3 minutes, Arete is 10-15. ICC Island Dynas dropped loot that was just as good, but spawned quickly enough for everyone to get a piece of the pie. Perhaps add a few more dynas out in the under-populated desert regions past the lake and on the other side of Leet Hill?

I do definitely agree on the backpacks, but I feel that the intention was to keep inventory space limited to add incentive to leave.
    Slowly, one by one, the penguins rob me of my sanity
    Anualken Gimped old engineer.

Omni-Tek Protects.
    Me, as drawn my MrFli.

Old Engineers never die... they only fade away.

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    NCU
    There is a quest in Arete that gives you 3 NCU as a reward. And there is the follow on quest in ICC to get 3 higher QL NCU.
    I know about those 2 quests, and only because I read about it on the forums.
    The NCU as mob loot seems to be very rare.

For a lowbie its pretty rough to get to the ai ship to get some ncu for your 2 slot belt.
    Would be nice to get some very low NCU for the starting belt and maybe some clues where to get the 3 slot belt and AI ship NCU?

Quote Originally Posted by revenant342 View Post
    I disagree on the Dyna loot. I think it's a good way to get new players acquainted with what dynas are and how they work. While I have farmed a few SOL K's from them, the drop-rate is so low (<1%) it's simply not worth it to spend that much time on it for something you're going to rapidly outgrow. A very nice find for new players if it does drop, but the only reason I farmed it was to see droprates and kinda twink out the Advie I'm using to test the NPE.

I think a better solution to the Dynas being camped is to reduce their spawn timers to match ICC Island levels. ICC was 3 minutes, Arete is 10-15. ICC Island Dynas dropped loot that was just as good, but spawned quickly enough for everyone to get a piece of the pie. Perhaps add a few more dynas out in the under-populated desert regions past the lake and on the other side of Leet Hill?

I do definitely agree on the backpacks, but I feel that the intention was to keep inventory space limited to add incentive to leave.
    But it's not just SOL's. If the Dynas on Arete have loottables like normal Dynas, they will drop for example low Nova Dillon/Sekutek etc, which is very nice to have in lower levels for twinking in Imps. And since the alien ship also provides bots and such, people will probably make Arete twinks, to farm stuff. Also biomesh. Arete could get very crowded, and if the respawn timer gets reduced, it's even better for campers, so they're less likely to stop.

Martial Artist

I was seriously confused when I rolled a MA on Arete yesterday.
    - No MA attack
    - Bow + ammo
    - Oak Bo
    - No Lesser Controlled Rage

The Nano MAs get is the +2 Melee damage, which cannot be uploaded until lvl 4 I think it was. Maybe even 5.
    Additionally I found out you will do more dmg with the Oak Bo than with fists.
    Seeing this as a veteran player - no big deal, since I know enough about MAs to see this as an "Arete-only" thing. But a new player will probably take this as some sort of "advice" or guideline to how to play a MA.

After I bought the Start Up Nanos, I realized LCR was moved into there. I think this should be redone to how it was before. Mostly because LCR helps a lot dmg/AR wise and frankly it's needed.
    Then I realized there's this MA Attack terminal between Antonio and Emiel. Not sure if a new player is curious enough to find it when they don't even know this sort of thing exists.

The prices in the MA terminal are.. wow. Except Attack of the Snake they're plain not affordable for someone in Arete, so I don't even see the point why it's there.

General

- Shop terminals need better/bigger labelling. Just as mentioned, the MA attack term isn't that visible and the tradeshop next to Alex is in NO WAY recognizable. Especially not for a new player who has never seen this kind of shop at Bazzit. (I know there's a waypoint, but it doesn't lead to the shop, but rather to the question mark, which simply explains TS.)

NPE and new ICC.

First of all, AO's story has a cyberpunk-theme and it evolves around the political conflict between omni-tek and clan. NPE-story is about illegal immigration and criminal activity? I think NPE is very simplistic and offer little new beside the scenography. The old start also had a more exciting way of introducing aliens.

The monster AI, the physical world and the combat in NPE are horribly outdated. It could use way more complexity but that again requires more repetoir and possibly system-changes.

Personally I'd like to see termileetz0r as a boss in npe.

Shops in ICC.

Whats the purpose of some of the other shops (not ts) in ICC when the same vendors exist in FT? Those shops also contains utter gerbage. Remove them cause they are pointess (or remove similar vendors from ft) and just confuse newbies. Also clean up more of the vendors like u did with generic nanoprogram-vendor.

- The Alien Ship is way too far away. At first I thought there weren't any aliens anymore in Arete, but after running and fighting my way through the desert, I finally found some greenish mobs. It's good for players who want to level in Arete and spend some time there, but for a vet who has seen it all and just wants the first two ai-level and head off, this is annoying. I think there needs to be found some kind of balance, so people have the opportunity to rush through, as well as others can enjoy staying there and level up. Just bring it closer to the market place, maybe behind the Arena.
    Could make a questpart send you to a npc that reproduce the abduction from the ai-daily in newland.

Arrival hall could be a separate instance. Arete >>> Arrival-hall >>> ICC or Faction-cities. (we never asked for new icc, but better factioncities)
    Last edited by Cyberleet; Aug 20th, 2014 at 14:44:16.

But it's not just SOL's. If the Dynas on Arete have loottables like normal Dynas, they will drop for example low Nova Dillon/Sekutek etc, which is very nice to have in lower levels for twinking in Imps. And since the alien ship also provides bots and such, people will probably make Arete twinks, to farm stuff. Also biomesh. Arete could get very crowded, and if the respawn timer gets reduced, it's even better for campers, so they're less likely to stop.
    All of that stuff is already available from BY bosses and on ICC Island, yet I don't see ICC island twinks farming Dynas there.

As far as bots go, highest QL I have gotten is 12, and the biomesh quest is a fetch quest. QL~10 AI/Combined armor really isn't *that* useful, just +1-2 in each category for each piece. And even in people did farm the bots, that's in a separate instance inside the NPE. Furthermore, while all other components are available to make AI armor in Arete, the bio-analyzer is not, and Sundance armor would be infinitely better than comparable AI armor of that QL for the area.

I'm just suggesting that the respawn timer on the new player area dynas be the same as it has always been, so that new players have a greater chance to kill them as well. Any of my level 10+ toons in Arete can easily keep every dyna in the area dead by him/herself, and OD anyone who hasn't already gotten all the upgrades. Even discounting "Arete twinks," there don't even seem to be enough to go around just with the number of "normal" new players the area seems to be designed for.
    Slowly, one by one, the penguins rob me of my sanity
    Anualken Gimped old engineer.

Omni-Tek Protects.
    Me, as drawn my MrFli.

Old Engineers never die... they only fade away.

Cyberleet touched on it, and it was the first thing I thought of when I read it. So, new players have gone from being crash survivors to being illegal aliens..........
    Borox was born on June 30, 2001

Can higher levels enter this playfield? Or once you leave you can't come back like the existing startup field?

Whats new in NPE? Games rise and fall on gameplay and NPE doesn't have any new gameplay.

It is the same gameplay and AI as b4 with a diferent scenography and a ton of quests that doesn't really serve any purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by FunTime View Post
    Can higher levels enter this playfield? Or once you leave you can't come back like the existing startup field?
    Can't come back.