Thread: The new Action icons

The new Action icons

First of all, its great that the size of this icons are now smaller. What is not so great are the new icon design. They don't match the quality of the game and seems photoshop rushed. I Dunow who made them, but when you make icons there are 2 important things you need to follow.:

1. Make sure the design has contrast, as the original design will not look the same at 35pixel, keep the background different from the icon it self, so people can recognise what the icon actually does.

2. The icons are not pixel clean, what I mean by that is the way it was scaled down.
    Use Bicubic interpolation, this makes the icon sharp at the target pixel size.

I be glad to do the basic "action" icon design for free if you guys need help on this.

Some other quick stuff:

- The new player area looks really promising, good job there.
    - The wompas in Borealis does not trigger the doors to open. (maybe adjust the collision point for this trigger? I kinda like the old wompas better tbh, where the inside of the wompha was illuminated, it now looks pale and not very sci-fi.
    - Change the texture shader on does 2 "digtal" textures to additive blending, this makes them look illuminated and not just alpha transparent.
    Last edited by Ironmax; Aug 9th, 2014 at 13:22:55.

I haven't been on test and seen this, but I am bumping because hey, Funcom, don't ignore good asset creation tips or offers for free work. Docaholic was a great start. Just imagine how much you could crowdsource to get some good quality art assets into the game for free, saving you a lot of man-hours and money.

Here's a good example of a project that implemented a good management system for putting together crowdsourced art, just to show you that it can be done without a lot of complicated management or involvement on the part of Funcom personnel: http://freedoom.github.io/

Agree with the OP, new icons are difficult to see, and when they gray out as in active or cooling it is far too hard to see which state they are in, it needs greater distinction.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

I'm don't mind the new icons at all.
    They could do with a little more definition. But one thing I did think to myself when looking over them, was that Dimach might need a change.

Purely because, bear in mind I haven't logged onto my MP to see what it actually looks like, when I was on fixer and saw the new Icons I for a moment got confused and wondered how or where I had suddenly gotten Aimed Shot from.

The icon, to me at least lends itself to think it be AS.
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

I like the new icons but they are difficult to differentiate whilst on CD.

Just to add re player-sorced content, Planetside 2 (a recent MMO FPS) did something similar with it's "Player Studio" where players can submit character, weapon and vehicle textures. It's a great idea to help your customers feel like they are contributing to a community game in my mind + cheap for developers!!
    Defrag 220 Crat
    Chuckle 220 Doctor
    Nates 220 Shade
    Magnite 219 Enf
    Chipbutty 212 Fixer

---- Removed by me -------
    Last edited by Ironmax; Aug 17th, 2014 at 09:21:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmax View Post
    Maybe something more like this (I did this in 30 mins quick)

http://thomax.no/AO/AOActionIcon35px.png
    Better than the current ones.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    Better than the current ones.
    thx Caloss2 I can do better I just made this quick to state an example, you can see I kept
    the old basic icons and the base color style of AO. I can make selected version also.

Why does everyones 30 minute, whipped together side projects look better than the stuff Funcom has supposedly taken months and years to do?
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Why does everyones 30 minute, whipped together side projects look better than the stuff Funcom has supposedly taken months and years to do?
    I am guessing the staff working on AO are not artists but programmers and community managers who are trying to fill extremely large shoes doubling as artists.
    It doesn't work of course, it would be like wiring your own house with electricity without knowing how.
    You'll end up burning the house down.

Maybe something more like this (I did this in 30 mins quick)

http://thomax.no/AO/AOActionIcon35px.png
    Brilliant, much clearer and prettier too.
    Defrag 220 Crat
    Chuckle 220 Doctor
    Nates 220 Shade
    Magnite 219 Enf
    Chipbutty 212 Fixer

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    I guessing, not over thinking things, no deadlines, no pressure, and I don't mean to knock anyone, but a little more talent ? If Sheffy and others could come up with all the new icons that we got and they really where so much better, why not crowed source FC? give a work used contributer free game time or some simple gesture payment like that, I'll bet it's cheaper than paying a "professional" to do it? tax deductible etc ? Imagine a game built by players for the players how awesome would that be ? BTW I traveled back in time 4 years to tell you that FC did this and became a leading light in software and game development, completely changing the market place.If you don't do it, then I can never go back !

thx Caloss2 I can do better I just made this quick to state an example, you can see I kept
    the old basic icons and the base color style of AO. I can make selected version also.
    We have had our differences, but I think you did a good job, and I would rather use your work than what I am seeing on 18.7 beta or test live. Truth is truth, never get in it's way.

Quote Originally Posted by Caloss2 View Post
    We have had our differences, but I think you did a good job, and I would rather use your work than what I am seeing on 18.7 beta or test live. Truth is truth, never get in it's way.
    I am up for burying an old axe mate, and hope you don't quit AO we need good players on the clan side.

I do the rest of the icons to morrow and post link to raw psd files. fc be happy to rip it of me, I don't need to take credit for it, it is not important. What is important is that we can recognize this basic icons that matches AO sci-fi style. This are the first icons new players will see on the skillbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidology View Post
    I am guessing the staff working on AO are not artists but programmers and community managers who are trying to fill extremely large shoes doubling as artists.
    It doesn't work of course, it would be like wiring your own house with electricity without knowing how.
    You'll end up burning the house down.
    FCs entire dev team doesn't have a single 2d graphic designer? I mean this is the sort of stuff that could be easily done by anyone qualified in the new dev team...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Quote Originally Posted by Ekarona View Post
    FCs entire dev team doesn't have a single 2d graphic designer? I mean this is the sort of stuff that could be easily done by anyone qualified in the new dev team...
    I don't think they "waste" time on working on AO tho.
    Probably have more important things to do. lol.

Because of some newly "attitude / x-feedback" I have decided to stop supporting new icons, since they most unlikely will be used. So the icons you see will probably be the ones we must use.

I removed my asset design, but thanks for the feedback. Sadly community feedback is not important, even it is important to listen. I remember that in my own project in the future, to not do the same failure.
    Last edited by Ironmax; Aug 17th, 2014 at 10:14:24.

The new icons definitely need improvement. More contrast at the very least.

AO's graphic dept was unsized...unpurposed...obliterated by an orbital strike so that it can emulate an ex-parrot. I.e., the Bejing office, which was doing the new bodies/heads and presumably other stuff, was closed a year or two ago. FC probably said to remaining staff, "Shiny new title for you"...and there was much rejoicing.

Aye, FC should put in a formal method of player supported content. We already have custom GUI's, why not add icon changing to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Literary View Post
    Aye, FC should put in a formal method of player supported content. We already have custom GUI's, why not add icon changing to them?
    It sounds like quite the programming task to take things that are currently handled by the db file (where the whole items database as well as the game textures are currently stored) and move them to some other source where they can be modified without failing the integrity check. But I think (and I get the sense that everyone here agrees) that this 1 change would pay huge dividends. Think of all the work FC doesn't have to do because players took it upon themselves to run chat bots. FC could just throw its hands up and walk away from all further work on the GUI because the players obviously would like to do it themselves.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat