Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Have engineers been forgotten?

Have engineers been forgotten?

Just had a read through the 18.7 patch notes and couldn't help but chuckle when I noticed Engineer was the only profession out of the 14 professions that exist not to be receiving any buffs or changes whatsoever (excluding the generic changes)...

Have Engineers have been forgotten yet again? lmao.
    Last edited by Platypus135; Aug 13th, 2014 at 15:22:16.
    Casual/former player known as
    - Nnivekccub / Kingduck / Mongoose

I agree, let's not forget about engineers. Let's bring in some nerfs to every part of your toolset, and heck, I'm feeling generous today, let's bring in the nano skill to tradeskill switch early!

Engineers already have some of the best pets, are quite viable in PvP, and have one of the best defensive buffs ingame. There are professions that need buffs long before engineers do. However, they aren't necessarily in need of nerfs, either, so be happy that your profession is where it should be at this moment in time.

They didnt forget. If i read correctly, they are removing the blocks.
    Somne 220/30 Advisor of Equilibrium7
    Mercha 150/20 Advisor of Equilibrium
    Slynn 60/6 President of Equilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinne View Post
    Better stick to killing. Youre much better ganker than song writer.

Actually, you got a buff. Epsilon Purge is getting changed so I can't remove your blockers and instakill you.
    Happy birtthhhdayyyy toooooooooo youuuuuuuuuuuuu!

Also, the change to snares should be pretty nice, but don't let me shine on your thunderstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Slynn View Post
    You didn't read correctly.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

If they did not change any part of the character that you actually use. Consider yourself extremely lucky given what they have dome to some other professions that they just plain dumped on.

Quote Originally Posted by Slynn View Post
    Block nanos, not special blocker stat nanos.
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Ah cheers guys.
    Somne 220/30 Advisor of Equilibrium7
    Mercha 150/20 Advisor of Equilibrium
    Slynn 60/6 President of Equilizers

Quote Originally Posted by Kaylinne View Post
    Better stick to killing. Youre much better ganker than song writer.

Makes you wonder if moving engis from nano skills to trade skills for their casting is still on the table...
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sannz View Post
    Makes you wonder if moving engis from nano skills to trade skills for their casting is still on the table...
    i hope its optional, like either nanoskills or tradeskills to cast the nano.

Makes more sense to build robots with mechanical engineering than by bending time & space.

Deflect removal gun ftw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by slythea View Post
    i hope its optional, like either nanoskills or tradeskills to cast the nano.
    I believe they added disjunctive ("OR") requirements to the game for this very purpose. They didn't use to exist.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Quote Originally Posted by sannz View Post
    The thing about that change is that it is such a big change which would be pretty challenging to implement, and it's hard to see whether it would be worth all the effort.

From what i can remember, the main benefits of changing all engi nanos to require tradeskills would be:

- Reduced IP cost (maybe? it depends on the new requirements they decide on) so engis could max evades/inits and aimed shot while still tradeskilling.
    - Being able to go NR perks.

Considering all the effort it would take to change the entire engi toolset from nanoskills to tradeskills, is the outcome really worth it? Could they not just address the IP cost issue in other ways, e.g. by changing our nanos that require MM / PM / TS / BM so that all nanos just need MC/TS?
    And the second outcome, increased NR, could be achieved by changing one of the engi perk lines to give a massive boost to NR or by adding some new engi only items that buffs NR.

Excuse me if there are any other major benifits to the change that I have missed, it's just hard to see what the point is.
    Last edited by Platypus135; Aug 13th, 2014 at 16:13:29.
    Casual/former player known as
    - Nnivekccub / Kingduck / Mongoose

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus135 View Post
    With the current rate of development on the game, I'd be surprised to see that happening any time soon. It does strike me as quite a difficult change to implement.
    and as a stupid one on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Platypus135 View Post
    Excuse me if there are any other major benifits to the change that I have missed, it's just hard to see what the point is.
    As an engineer you have to decide if you want to invest IPs in weapon skills or put something into tradeskills. The consenus in the engi forum is that you should only start to tradeskill after level 150 because otherwise you would cripple yourself significantly.

There are also some interesting threads about being good in PvP, PvM, AND being able to tradeskill (nearly) everything. Engineers have to switch many Hud items, armor pieces, and other stuff in order to reach the necessary skills to build high level stuff like QL300 AI armor or Arul-Saba bracelets.

Switching some requirements from nanoskills to tradeskills would make it possible to tradeskill everything AND be a great DD without the need of switching in and out a backpack full of items.

The idea itself is very interesting but it is a hell of job to get it right (see the "balancing" documents which have been written some years ago and are now discarded more or less). Besides, most engineers would have to use a full IPR and develop completly new setups, maybe even get new weapons and other stuff.
    First small fat Engi on RK1 who danced ballet in Red Twil Thigh High Boots in front of an Advy and got pronounced to greatness almost instantly.

Afreng (220/30/70 engineer) Alfora
    Keepitsimple Exploratia Malpora Osmosa Tunneleffect Eccegratia Littleboy

Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Or, well, that's how it's supposed to work. ;P

For a start, it would mean every engineer above TL2 or so is effectively disabled until a new set of gear can be farmed/built/bought for a massive resource dent, and a Full IPR can be done for a total rebuild and retwink with al that entails including chasing buffs and scrounging contracts. A literal 'log in and be unable to use the character for anything other than BY chatting' moment.

If they added in this 'OR' statement, meaning you can carry on as before with minimal disruption but new engis can opt to IP tradeskills instead of Nanoskills - then things might become a lot more manageable.

But there are so many other factors to consider switching nanoskills over to tradeskills in terms of itemisation across the whole of AOs Item DB and also buffs... It would be like adding in a completely new profession. Sounds like a ridiculous amount of work to be done for what would be very little gain at the end of it.

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

At first they were vague about this, but then they said quite clearly that the requirements would be "OR" and there's really no way they could instantly disable all engis by doing otherwise. All they have to do is go through all engy nanos (which they're reducing the number of by eliminating all the pets) and do some careful cutting & pasting. I'm not sure a rework of items is necessary, there's plenty of items that add to tradeskills and I can't think of any that would add a stupidly OP amount, and if there are it can't be many.

Basically, this isn't a stupid change, although I agree it should be delayed until other things are done because it isn't fixing a really serious problem. But I for one would love the chance to retool my engis and have a new challenge in redesigning them around available items, etc.
    Last edited by Tryptophy; Aug 14th, 2014 at 15:42:55.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Where was all this stuff posted? I've been searching for a lot of this stuff being stated in an official capacity but haven't found anything first-hand
    Slowly, one by one, the penguins rob me of my sanity
    Anualken Gimped old engineer.

Omni-Tek Protects.
    Me, as drawn my MrFli.

Old Engineers never die... they only fade away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast