Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 18.7 things I'd like reviewed

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill
    - The transportation certificate quest, for example, might be necessary due to some backend technical issue but it could've been done better. There should be two options. One that is a "just give me the darned certificate" quick chat with the NPC and the other that is a one time mission (maybe similar to the current quest) that awards a daily mission sized xp/token bonus at the end. In one simple instant you would've taken most of us from being annoyed by having to do it to like 'YAY, free xp/tokens'.
    Make that Victory Points and everyone will love the quest.
    Don't set yourself on fire to keep others warm.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    2. You removed the ability to disable inspect. Ok, that's fine. Please also remove the message that someone is inspecting me. I don't need to know, nor do I care to be spammed by a notification.
    This is exactly why I turn off the Inspect option. I don't care if you see my gear. I just don't like being told every time someone is doing it.

8. I don't get why the whompah from ICC takes you to Tir and not Old Athen. Tir can be an extremely tough place to navigate as a newbie and sending someone to a virtually empty place (since no one hangs out there anymore) seems a bit off.
    Not to mention, Tir is dangerous for Neutrals. I'm sure newbies have gotten frustrated with the game when someone told them "Stay Neutral! Sided guards will leave you alone" and then they wandered into Tir and got murdered.

9. Why is there a 15 minute cooldown on the fixer "self" emergency grid line? I get having a cooldown on the team one but why the self only? The slow casting one has a 2.5min cooldown.. that seems about reasonable for the emergency as well.
    Because Funcom likes to nerf everyone in all situations, even though the cause for the nerf was PvP whining.

For those of you that get annoyed by my long posts, just stop here because this is just me giving my thoughts/feelings about what's going on with the game at the moment.

------------------------

snip ...

My outlook on the game had been positive.

snip ...

And then 18.7 went to TestLive.

snip ...

The NPE is cool.. I think it is still a little rough but definitely an improvement on the existing starter area. BUT, I don't see how anything changes about the true new player experience once they leave the starter zone. All of that time spent working on a zone and I don't necessarily feel that it is going to have a significant impact on the overall experience that a new player has when leveling their first toon from 1 to endgame.

snip ...

So getting to the topic of this post. I'd like to know why these changes are taking place. I don't need a step by step but I feel that the community is owed a good understanding of the vision. I only used my trader as an example but so far I can say similar things about my soldier, doctor and my fixer. These toons now feel broken and I'm not just looking at it from a pure DPM perspective. AO, for me, was never always about just doing the most damage.. perhaps that's why my main toons always fell into the category of support. Logging on to a toon and being able to experience a unique style of play.. the concept of profession defining tools..that is one of the endearing qualities of Anarchy Online.

There was a big deal made, not so long ago, about not insulting the devs on the forums. No requests to fire anyone, no statements that they're incompetent. I strongly believe you shouldn't personally insult people, regardless of the medium you're using to communicate. Sometimes the results of their actions, however, make this tough to do but I'll do the best I can.

When you care about your customers you communicate clearly, minimize inconveniences and partner with them so you can do your best to provide a service or product that fits their needs within reason.

Some of the changes coming in 18.7 are just downright insulting and inconsiderate:

- The transportation certificate quest, for example, might be necessary due to some backend technical issue but it could've been done better. There should be two options. One that is a "just give me the darned certificate" quick chat with the NPC and the other that is a one time mission (maybe similar to the current quest) that awards a daily mission sized xp/token bonus at the end. In one simple instant you would've taken most of us from being annoyed by having to do it to like 'YAY, free xp/tokens'. And how about something in our Character info that tells us if we've done the quest on that toon or not?

- So you decide that there will only be 2 doctor grid nanos instead of 3 (1 team and 1 self).. ok that's fine. But if you're going to just remove Biological-Digital Conversion you could've at least done a check and provided us with Digitizing Sequencer if we didn't already have it. Now, I'm going to have to go out and get new nanos for at least 3 of my doctors when I already had the top nano in the grid line.

- Hey, you want to remove Nanite Instinctive Control and replace it with a Dot. Ok.. no problem. How about giving us Weird Looking Instinctive Control if we didn't already have it? Now, again, I'm going to have to buy those nanos on 2 toons to replace something I already had.

- Completely changing the way vet shop beacons work so that, on at least a couple toons, they're useless to me? How about giving me the option to get a refund of my vet points by selling it back?

I could go on but these are examples off the top of my head. Will leaving things as they are on 18.7 kill me..no? But if you would've done it differently you would've turned me from a detractor to a supporter. And the funny thing, is that it wouldn't cost you anything on your end but it would make me feel as if you value me as a customer and value the time I spend playing your product.

Ok.. and then there's just things that, for me, fall in the "WTH is going on here ?!?" category:
    - Removing the pre-made implants from the neutral shops
    - Profession locking shops
    - Recall beacons only usable when not in combat
    - The whole design of ICC (buildings just spread all over the place randomly)
    - Removal of the paid point vendors (are we being compensated somehow for that?)
    - Everything is practically shop buyable but not going to be affordable by the people that'll need the stuff most (newbies)
    - One subway.. everyone hanging out in ICC singing campfire songs? What happened to the conflict?
    QFT ... +1

Emma

I'm not sure why I resubscribed
    ohai

I could understand giving a deroot to melee professions, but why is soldier included? In that case why not just make it a generic nano then since Engineer, Doctor, MP, Adventurer are the only ones left with no active root removal. Surely one removal per 5 minutes isn't overpowered for these last 4...
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

I also dislike the changes regarding the "improved" nanos. If anything they should have created more of them. They were a cool little thing that not everyone acquired, something to search for and work for, and a possible jackpot if you managed to find a good one. Consolidating, removing, and just putting for sale in Pande Garden seems lame in comparison.
    New Engine - Announced: June 2007 ETA: Soon™ I'm speechless (June 2015)
    Rebalancing - Announced: January 2009 ETA: December 21, 2012 Started! (April 2015)
    New TL7 Pets - Announced: March 2009 ETA: Uh...
    AS Changes - Announced: July 2009 ETA: TBA
    Parry/Riposte - Announced: October 2009 ETA: ??? Did it! (April 2015)
    Perk Changes - Announced: October 2009 ETA: Right after server merge Started! (April 2015)
    Breed Change - Announced: November 2009 ETA: Hell freezing They did it!!! (Oct 2012)
    Beta Server - Announced: January 2010 ETA: Pigs Flying Did it! (Feb 2014)

Wall o' sense.

Ok.. and then there's just things that, for me, fall in the "WTH is going on here ?!?" category:
    - Removal of the paid point vendors (are we being compensated somehow for that?)
    - Everything is practically shop buyable but not going to be affordable by the people that'll need the stuff most (newbies)
    - One subway.. everyone hanging out in ICC singing campfire songs? What happened to the conflict?
    This right here succinctly highlights my main concerns as well. There are a lot of good things coming, don't get me wrong, but the handful of absolute deal-breakers are going to be a huge problem. The light at the end of the tunnel does indeed appear to be an oncoming train

I don't want to hijack Jill's thread with my own list though so I'll leave it there

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

Just wanna point out something about the Subway.

Lore wise it was designed by OT as a method of getting around very quickly, until the advent of the Whompah came along and made the whole project completely pointless. With the entrance being in ICC, the neutral area of RK, it kinda makes sense.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

I didn't really want to start a new thread so here we go.

I think deflection mechanics in its current state are flawed. It actually suprised me how very few threads (none) were started on this issue.
    The way I see it deflect should be an active ability instead of passive one. Just like Sneak Attack, Aimed Shot etc. By using this ability it would give the user 2-3 sec 'deflection buff' that would raise chance on deflecting all specials to 50%. Of course the more IPs you would have in deflect the faster recharge would become. Capped recharge on this special should be somewhere between 11-15s. Additionaly it should have high reqs in order to cap the recharge so only professions with green deflect skill and some buffing support could make it.

This would instantly:

- fix current issue with PvM as most mobs don't use specials
    - add an active element to the gameplay, it would require some precise timing to make it effective vs. AS and other specials
    - be less effective vs fast attack, fling shot and burst due to their 6s and 8s recharge respectively. However that's in my opinion a good thing.
    - more effective vs other specials (mainly AS) compared to current deflection mechanics
    Last edited by Scottik; Sep 2nd, 2014 at 10:32:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottik View Post
    This would instantly:

- fix current issue with PvM as most mobs don't use specials
    What issue? On Test I get glancing hits from mobs all the time, so apparently it's not just specials that will get deflected, but also normal hits. At least in PvM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baby View Post
    What issue? On Test I get glancing hits from mobs all the time, so apparently it's not just specials that will get deflected, but also normal hits. At least in PvM.
    The issue that it takes significantly longer to kill some mobs? And that PvM is already easy as it is, it's not like we need other unpredictable def mechanic to make it even easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottik View Post
    The issue that it takes significantly longer to kill some mobs? And that PvM is already easy as it is, it's not like we need other unpredictable def mechanic to make it even easier.

It's kinda funny how you're saying that it's an issue that it takes longer to get a mob down, while simultaneously saying PvM is too easy. In some level ranges players rely on a good weapon/perk setup to get the deep red mobs down asap, so they wont kill them. Deflect can change that, so teams are required. Equals that things are getting tougher.

While the impact on end game stuff might be a lot lower, we have yet to see how much a player will deflect in PvM. Especially prof wise, because on my doc I haven't deflected anything so far in Pande, or while trying LotV with the new "UBT from hell". And I have it maxed.

Taking a long time to kill a mob doesn't automatically make the encounter difficult. Tedious is the word you're looking for.

No it's not.

No it's not.
    3hours (approx) to solo Eel v 20-30min on an endgame geared fixer, that was my finding, and I definitely call that tedious.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

What is it with people on this forum? You all skipped elementary school or what? Learn to read.
    I said, there are lvl ranges where it will make things more difficult. I also said, that the impact on high level is gonna be a LOT LOWER.
    Furthermore was the post I was referring to talking about making things easier, so I assumed this was about the player deflecting, so the mobs get even easier than they are now. (Because clearly, the mob deflecting my hits is not going to make anything easier. Not implying it does make it more difficult.)

3hrs? Is that an actual time or just you making stuff up? I think I know the answer already.

What is it with people on this forum? You all skipped elementary school or what? Learn to read.
    I said, there are lvl ranges where it will make things more difficult. I also said, that the impact on high level is gonna be a LOT LOWER.
    Furthermore was the post I was referring to talking about making things easier, so I assumed this was about the player deflecting, so the mobs get even easier than they are now. (Because clearly, the mob deflecting my hits is not going to make anything easier. Not implying it does make it more difficult.)

3hrs? Is that an actual time or just you making stuff up? I think I know the answer already.
    At 1:34 Eel was at 50% and at that point, I just gave up, when I read back through the damage log roughly only 5% of hits from Eel where "glancing" with deflect maxed, I think it's a fair assumption that the remaining 50% wasn't going to go any faster.
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

All the NT changes as a whole seem really dumb. Basically taking away an entire play style (Defensive focus), while at the same time making other alternatives even squishier, (change on DTN %, and no +max nano pool buff). Basically it seems like they just want NTs to spam doubles in PvP.

All while not taking advantage of local cooldowns instead of long recharge timers like they have been with MAs and MPs.
    Brofist 220/30/70 Engineer
    Techbro 220/30/70 Nano-Technician

- The transportation certificate quest, for example, might be necessary due to some backend technical issue but it could've been done better.
    <snip>
    And how about something in our Character info that tells us if we've done the quest on that toon or not?
    For that matter how about info for ALL flagged quests? Bazzit, DB Questline, just to name a few. Sort of how we can see our specializations.

Mmmhmm, profession only shops kinda bites, adds a bit of garbage time if I have 2-3 new recruits I can't just go buy 3 diff prof nanos and bag them up to give as gifts unless I relog to each profession transfer credits and buy them.

Recall beacons really suxx, many a time I've fallen off geometry or been stuck and got saved by my beacons. Not possible if I get stuck while a mob is still agro on me. Can't sit, can't beacon, can't cast warp, can't wait 3+hours for petition, WTF.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Well I've been offline for a fair amount of time now because my new laptop is now up to date with modern technology and no longer using my old ( Broken ) laptop which required me to shovel coal in to get it running and the only way I can return other then buying a cheap laptop ( not gonna happen ) I'd have to wait for the new engine but after reading some of the changes that's been made I think its safe to say I wont be returning.

So I guess I'd like you all to bow your heads and give a minuets silence for Anarchy Online and remember all the fun times you shared with the player base, Gone forever R.I.P
    220 Sheilded MP And Proud

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast