Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Summer NW campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    They can disagree all they want. Fact is the only time anyone has anything good to say about NW is when they're talking about the past when nostalgia clouds reasonable thought. Significance ? Maybe it was significant in catering to some individuals' egos who considered every battle won, no matter how badly they outnumbered the enemy, a great success on their own personal level. The same egos who take defeat on a personal level as well, for when the time comes and player inactivity shrinks their zerg below the point of dominating the other side with ease posts of excuses and ragequit are inevitable. Personally I don't see any significance in nw, but a great deal of hypocrisy as it's been 10 years (in my experience) of both sides pointing fingers at each other trying to place blame for something. Because you know, an egomaniac will not simply accept defeat, they will always look for an excuse that is, of course, not in themselves.
    We are talking about the past, granted - but the past is all we have to go on, this is the point. The present sucks. And while there are sometimes cases of rose-tinted glasses in many discussions of NW, I think I'm honest in saying I loved NW during those periods as much as I say I do now, and a lot of people feel the same - that's why hundreds of people kept turning up to those big battles.

I don't disagree with a lot you've said here. Although I will defend NW as a great expansion and a prolonger of the game's life (while I admit FC could have and should have done more with it) I do know what you're talking about with the decade of hypocrisy, propaganda, and egos. That was just part and parcel of the drama that came with NW, I suppose. You and I are probably good examples of the tit-for-tat that comes with NW faction rivalry.. and as much as those discussions descended into retardation, I still thought the rivalry was what made the game!

I'm curious where you came up with the number stating that I spend 90% of my time discussing nw on the forums. If anything I spend most of my time bashing on funcom for destroying this game through neglect, anyone who actually reads my posts will agree. Or you can simply check my post history.
    90% is just a pie-in-the-sky number. All I'm saying is that, over the years you've taken a keen interest in talking about NW and that now it seems rich for you to try and devalue it as an element of the game. As for bashing FC for neglect, well, fair play.

Like I said, nw hasn't come to a complete halt in activity. The fact that you don't agree with griefing doesn't mean there's no nw. People attack, people defend, there's just few people left. I'm guessing you haven't logged on in quite some time but I'll honestly tell you that every aspect of the game is -exactly- like that. Players level through cheating, they cheat on quests and they acquire all their gear through cheating. Nothing is the way it was or should be, if you play with open eyes you'll notice how all game content has deteriorated to the point of extremely low activity partially thanks to players abusing certain mechanics and partially thanks to funcom's disregard towards the game.
    It's not that I don't agree with greifing. Tactical greifing was a great tool of lowering the other side of morale, but you can't honestly say that the aimless and hopeless task of greifing nowadays (when Clan on a mass scale clearly have no gas left in the tank to even profit from a decent greifing campaign) is anything compared to what it used to be. I'm all for greifing and would like to think I was a pioneer of making it as effective as possible. All I'm saying is that what's happening nowadays, is almost too pathetic to even be called greifing (we're talking at the main TL7 level of course... obviously TL1-5 bases being exchanged does not change anything) Nowadays it's just a collection of individuals trying to annoy the defenders because there's nothing better to do, but they have no hope of an outcome to it. There's no hope it will materialise into anything, Clan don't even have a NW structure, let alone the population to be able to build one.

What's so significant about notum wars? Is the the towers and contracts that were never updated and provide tiny, almost negligible bonuses? Is it the side xp bonus that works only on monster kills in a game where most of the leveling is done via mission rewards that cap xp anyway? NW was without a doubt significant to this game a very long time ago when those bonuses actually made a difference on a global scale and not just "well that contract helps my atrox get that alpha brain on".
    Obviously I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I found that the group of friends I played with, on both sides, played for pride - NW was all about pride. No NW addict really cares about side-xp for its numerical value, although seeing a much higher number (for example 18% vs the opposition's 3%) was always satisfying, but again that comes down to pride. And Tower bonuses were decent, but they were just that... a bonus. It is only the PvMers or people who don't care about NW, in fact, that actually attach more importance to those things. PvPers have always lived without side-xp or tower bonuses quite fine and dandy. So no, there's actually nothing material ingame that truly represents the significance of owning towers - it is all about the pride, and the feeling of winning and dominating, the comradery of a successful campaign and watching the other side fall apart - this is what drove people like Marxgorm, Foobar, Stromm etc. to do well. And yes, it is about ego, and flair, and glory - but those sorts of feelings are essentially why the majority of people play videogames isn't it?

Hah tara yes, the place where dead clan spawn right outside and dead omni have significantly more distance to cover. Without a doubt fun when you can return to the fight immediately after dying, which is true for only one side. Again a very imbalanced and very bad mass pvp mechanic. Getting killed through walls, permanently "falling", getting warped all over the place and other lag-fest induced situations certainly round up to one hell of a fun experience. When I play I like to play my character to it's fullest ability, which is not mashing the assist button and watching my targets drop instantly one at a time. But that's my preference.

I'm not a nw hater, I just don't see the "big point" that you and some other individuals would like to emphasize but never really manage to because it all ends up on a personal level. Despite what your irrational hate for me tries to display I have participated in and lead a number of nw and tara fights, I know the mechanics inside out and I can honestly say that any individual trying to claim victory in their name after a flat out open blob runs into blob war is nothing but a self-glorifying egomaniac. Intelligent part ? Pfft that's ancient history but it's not something the players can be blamed for, it's the crude design which makes recycling very old strategies the only strategy. The only dramatic changes in nw were brought upon by serious exploits, a fact that speaks for itself.

Mindless yeah, thing is I don't see how spamming assist (which is what a whole raidforce minus a few callers do) could be described as an intellectual task. Speaking of callers, you can almost feel the intelligence manifesting in the air around you after seeing renamed pet after renamed pet hitting the floor because they (usually hand picked "good pvpers") can't tell the difference in healthbar size or color before pressing attack. Which is something that happens at every fight, even smaller scale. A joke really.
    Then we can agree to disagree - no one expects Tara and NW mass PvP to be for enjoyable for all. But there were deeper factors at work there which you either cannot see or refuse to pay attention to, and yes Tarasque dungeon as a place had a lot of flaws and it was never improved, but it was intrinsic to the game of morale when it came to NW and, without fail, the NW dominating side also reaped the rewards from Tara - it was a tradition of the game, for all its flaws. Going back to the mechanics of battling there, I will use a very unbiased example, that of a Tara lead by Ixiaan at around 3am European time in 2010 was one of the best Omni performances I've ever seen. IIRC, about 30 omnis wiped double the amount of clans, having a better profession mix, using expert calling (which was an art in itself), doc healing (another art (lord knows the majority of Clan docs were terrible in the later years)), and good movement by the raiders - Ixi had managed to get 30 people in tangent to sit in the middle of the lair and dance in and out of LOS while assisting key targets, and it destroyed the lame duck that was Clan which just stood there mashing on assist like you said. There was skill in leading Tara, and there was a distinction between good and poor efforts by raiders, and I could write a novel on examples of when the higher number of raiders did not /assist mash their way to victory. But again, I'm not trying to convince you to like it, it's not for you, that's fine - but you can't devalue it for everyone else and you can't simplify it to blob vs blob, because if you do that, you take away something from great leaders (who I would also call *******s) some of which were in your organisation!

That's because you take my posts personally. Whenever I'm not mentioning a side specifically I am in fact talking about both but you don't see it that way which is an error on your part. I do poke away at the clan community at times, but that's mostly for teasing purposes never really passing the border of good sportsmanship. I do not hate entire organizations because of a few individuals that feel the need to step on my toes for every word I say nor will you ever see me make up grotesque gossip in a futile attempt to make things personal.
    To be fair, I and many others are as tongue-in-cheek as you when it comes to forums. I don't hate you, or anyone else from AO at all, to be honest. It's a bit like MdR, someone on clanside once said to me "don't you just hate those MdR morons?" and I was like, well, no, because without them the game would be boring. If we all got on and liked each other, then there really would be no point to NW! When we're arguing on the forums, I'm as much just poking a stick as you are.

Yes yes, again I'm reading how clan always lost nw because they were inactive prior to losing and how every clan victory was a tribute to tactics, intelligence and a great host of über pvpers that only exist on clan side. Which is irony at it's finest; players who only showed up to pvp as part of a big group managed to develop a sense of great individual value when in fact some of them haven't even covered the basics such as movement and proper use of a keyboard. Unfortunately for them it's not a fact I learned by myself, they would occasionally lay it out themselves with pvp videos displaying their own abysmal character control.
    I don't put 2006 down to Clan quitting PRIOR to the takeover, and I apologise if my post seemed to suggest that - I see many clan quit as a result of the takeover which is entirely different. And this is a bit of what you mentioned earlier, both sides are hypocritical, and there are similar people on Omniside who would suggest that every Omni victory is due to tactics and genius, while every Clan victory is due to Omni quitting. Actually, it's somewhere in between and I like to credit both sides where credit is due. But it's true to say that 06-09 was barely ever contested, in between the 2 takeovers at the beginning and end of this era, while 2009 onwards, it was always contested - I put that down to Omni never giving up. When Omni lost towers, they didn't sit down like other sides have in the past. But I'm also complimenting Clan for being so resilient in defence and despite having to work hard on a daily to keep their towers, managing to do so for the most part. That's all. My recollection of both sides is more balanced that it might have appeared at first.

But I'm getting ahead of myself, you're right it wasn't omni beating clan this time. It was Foob beating clan. Of course the currently losing side will not admit to that fact even though multiboxing rants can be found in almost every part of these forums. I'm not arguing that it wasn't a dirty tactic because it was, just like you can't argue that clan quit just for the sake of quitting. There's no shame in losing, we've all been there, just don't be a dramaqueen about it if you don't want people to mock you further.
    I actually don't know the details of the events which lead to the last major takeover, or the exact individuals involved, though I know Foob was a key part of that (its not surprising, he's been central to Omni efforts since I was Omni myself) but I just think that no one can blame the little Clan that were left for not wanting to compete under current conditions. For the same reason that a cyclist wouldn't have wanted to race against Armstrong in the 90s, knowing what they know now. Yes, Armstrong was clever, his operation was freaking genius, but it was outright cheating and that's all there is to it. There's no victory in cheating. As for other people using 3rd party programs, well, 2 wrongs don't make a right and I know both sides have done it, but the sploits of the past pale into the shade of 1 man being able to control multiple characters.

solox mang, i promise this weekend i'll read your long posts )
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

history lesson tho paf, it wasn't foob. Lonely's box was far better

At killing towers, yes, thank you captain oldnews.

Quote Originally Posted by Solox View Post
    stuff
    For the record Hells Heroes never pissed on Tranq, and will never do so. Even if Tranq recruited from HH quite a bit and HH got generally pissed on .To be accurate HH was created as a fragment from a fragment of an alt/new recruit org of Tranq.

Rip NW's it has always been the lifeblood of AO. It is no surprise that it is dead.

Think you misunderstood him. He's pointing fingers at Punk for the state notum wars are in recently and thinks we're a bad sequel to an org he knows nothing about except for what he heard.

Aye I wasn't talking about HH.

thinks we're a bad sequel to an org he knows nothing about except for what he heard.
    He's right, but as much as I dislike most Punk members, I don't say he's right because of a bias. I say he's right simply because the population decrease. Every org today is a shadow of it's former self/predecessor.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    He's right, but as much as I dislike most Punk members, I don't say he's right because of a bias. I say he's right simply because the population decrease. Every org today is a shadow of it's former self/predecessor.
    We're pretty busy.

In fact, we're as busy now as any time in the last 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    We're pretty busy.

In fact, we're as busy now as any time in the last 7 years.
    I find it very hard to believe that your org and it's members are as busy now as they were in 2007-2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I find it very hard to believe that your org and it's members are as busy now as they were in 2007-2009.
    I'm not ****ting you!

I'm at work so I can't link anything from in game, but here's some numbers:

* I just counted and we have 14 applicants since July 1 (all of which have been processed and joined the org

* During euro prime time (I logged on last week in the morning before work one day) and there were no less than 24 people online in those 10 minutes I was logged

* During Aussie prime time (this is usually the dead period), in the last month, (and I'm not kidding) we've had enough online to chain raid every night except one out of the last few weeks, that means AI raid starts (shield dropped, raid starts, when gen dies, cru is refilled, before the ship is completed we've already got our first random raid, when gen dies, refill cru and around the same time raise shield, and before the shield is ready to be dropped again we've got another random raid... etc.)

* Me and 3 other guys have been rolling new toons and every night we've had the 4 of us in nasc/ely, and every night we have at LEAST 3-4 other people want to join us levelling, AND there are still enough 220's online to be doing other activities (and this is extremely notable because in past years in aussie prime time there aren't even enough people in chat to have a conversation.

That's it, that's my evidence. I know the one logon during euro prime time is obviously a bit of a small sample, but to be honest I'd say that 24 online then would be at the lower end of what I'd expect on a daily basis. Usually I'd say it's closer to 30-32 based on the numbers of people raiding.

Think you misunderstood him. He's pointing fingers at Punk for the state notum wars are in recently and thinks we're a bad sequel to an org he knows nothing about except for what he heard.
    Huh. Who aint pointing fingers at Punk. Even your fellow omnis are doing so..

Finger pointing or not, its all just sad for AO. So much potential for great wars all gone now.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

Quote Originally Posted by fakiiri View Post
    Huh. Who aint pointing fingers at Punk.
    People with the capacity to think for themselves.

People with the capacity to sploit for themselves.
    Please, anyone that isn't busy farming 24/7 can, by now, surely grasp whats going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vgman01 View Post
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

Do tell, what is going on? I was busy farming, as you probably remember.

To be fair, for all I and everyone else has said on this thread, none of this really matters much anymore does it? FC could cure the cheating tomorrow, and introduce flawless 100% perfect game mechanics for NW and it'd be too late because there isn't the depth in population anymore to take advantage of it. Any veteran reactivating who runs through the cities of RK will have a heavy heart in the ghost-towns.

AO has had a great run, and its amazing that it is still alive after all this time, its unique elements have lead it to live longer than a lot of other games which had much bigger populations - AO always had a die-hard core which has kept us talking on these forums even now. Because we miss it and how it used to be. As much as we almost come across like we hate it, we do love it really and will never forget playing it. I'll be surprised if there's another MMO in my lifetime that I enjoy in the same way.

But sadly, I do think more could have been done to prolong the life of the old dog even further. In my opinion, the time to save the game was the RK1+2 merge. That was the last roll of the dice for FC, because it was the ace up their sleeve to create an active server once more, and it did very temporarily, because it boosted the population and brought us back to oldschool buzzing activity as recently as last March. But so quickly it turned sour, within just a few months the activity went down the plughole once more - that's because not enough was done to capture the attention for long enough, they should have timed the merge with a) a graphics update OF SOME SORTS, b) some genuinely good content (which has been missing for a good number of years now, and c) a fix for the 10 year old flaws in NW and Tara. But all those things are easier said than done and FC haven't applied the resources or effort into those areas - I guess it's not a profitable model. So what else can we do, but think of what might have been?

To be honest I just want to hear the opinion of a whiner that puts provision to shame. ^^

There is no point saying anything to you directly, Mrs. selfproclaimed omni spokeswoman.
    A twisted outlook on things, that doesn't reflect any depth can hardly be argued with, and that you know.

Its clear from you replies that you cannot relate to anything Solox wrote, yet just spew the same regurgitated nonsense around, repeat it much, so you actually start believing it.

Oblivion awaits when you stop posting.
    With a kite team you generaly pay for your lvls. Imo this makes it ok..
    Pocket teaming is fine to because (most of the time) players actualy step up and kill the hecklers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hvyshadows View Post
    OST is actually a good thing. In many Ely heck teams where there is a pocket the rest of the team sits around and chats every once in awhile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast