Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tir Annulled: Why it was Necessary

Exclamation Tir Annulled: Why it was Necessary

The decision to annul the Tir Accord, announced by Omni-Tek of Rubi-Ka (“OTRK”) CEO Philip Ross on October 16, 29476, was, notwithstanding the objections of the ICC, the proper choice for the peoples of Rubi-Ka.

The disappearance of the Council of Truth (“CoT”) on September 6, 29476 created a dilemma for every citizen of Rubi-Ka, be they Omni-Tek, Clan or Neutral. Suddenly, after an unprecedented period of social stability, the effective governing body of the Clan community evaporated into thin air, abandoning those by whom it had been entrusted to act and thereby to protect.

In its wake, we now have extra-planetary military personnel (the ICC peacekeepers), and a revival of the Council of Ares (“CoA”) movement. Above all, we are left with half of Rubi-Ka’s population enveloped by a state of virtual anarchy, because it is leaderless, unguided and scattered. This is, obviously, not an optimal negotiating position for OTRK.

It is thus quite unreasonable for the ICC to so immediately chastise OTRK for its actions in this regard. Granted, the Tir era was perhaps the most calm and peaceful era of Rubi-Ka since its initial colonization. However, for all intents and purposes, the Accord has been annulled for almost a full week, and there is still no marked increase in civil tensions among the citizens of Rubi-Ka. It can also be noted, quite ironically, that while OTRK has taken extraordinary steps to reassure the citizens of Rubi-Ka that it is in no one’s interest to commence a fourth civil war, the CoA, in an open letter to Omni-Tek of today’s date, publicly threatened OTRK and its employees in saying they “…hereby issue the only warning we will give you [Philip Ross] and your cronies: Stand back, or you won't be safe again. Not on Rubi-Ka. Not in your very own cities. We will carry the war to you and the streets of Omni-1 will be filled with the smell of death and decay. The smell of gunfire and burnt flesh. The smell of your defeat.” This hardly sounds like the words of a group interested in peace, let alone possessing the capacity to effect the terms of an agreement.

The CoA speaks as if it is the lawful entity to which authority to bind the Clans has transferred. I have yet to see any form of electoral process, let alone public support, to substantiate this position. For a group so seemingly concerned with representative, responsible government, the issuance of such a hostile declaration towards OTRK, which, if taken as belligerent by OTRK would immerse the entire planet in war, is hardly responsible, given the fact that the Council of Ares is not representative of the Clan community. It still defies logic how the Council of Ares can criticize OTRK for annulling a legal agreement when the CoA itself still does not recognize OTRK’s authority pursuant to the ICC lease, an overriding and governing legal agreement which forms the foundation of the social presence on Rubi-Ka.

The ICC’s criticism is similarly foolish. From a strategic standpoint, any belligerent action on the part of OTRK towards the Clans will undoubtedly draw the ire of the ICC, and thereby further reduce the length of Omni-Tek’s lease of Rubi-Ka. This has already been effected by amendment of the lease once, and any further reduction would not only wreak havoc on the market price of Omni-Tek’s shares, but also substantially reduce the net present value of Omni-Tek Corporation.

Additionally, the ICC’s criticism can be viewed as misguided in light of the fact that the CoT abandoned those who it was created to protect, without notice or even a simple warning, taking with it all security personnel. If a governing body acts so callously and negligently towards its responsibilities to the people, how can OTRK possibly trust such government to fulfill and support the terms of an agreement? And when you further add the convenient permanent deaths of the two CoT members who were accused of supporting and funding terrorist activities, thereby eliminating the possibility of obtaining information on certain terrorist groups with whom the CoT was allegedly involved, the CoT can hardly be seen as a legitimate political or legal entity.

OTRK annulled the Tir Accord to ensure the continued viability of its economic and social interests – those being notum and its employees, respectively. It is a responsible and prudent move, no matter what argument is postulated. If an ICC review of OTRK’s annulling resolutions does take place, I truly hope that such hearings are not conducted in as prejudicial a manner as the ICC’s initial response to the death of Tir. Let there be no mistake, OTRK was not the catalyzing force behind this death. The annulment is a direct result of the negligence and wilful disregard for its constituents that the Council of Truth has displayed. And, given the overriding belligerent tone of the aforementioned CoA letter, it is quite certain that, provided it actually achieves political legitimacy, the only successor council is similarly untrustworthy.

Aren't the Council of Truth just hiding? I didn't hear they gave up.

And that Council of Ares seems like a bunch of crazy war people. I don't think anybody likes them.

The leaders of an people shouldnt just run away and hide...
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

Who?
    "Yesterday we bowed before kings and bent our necks to emperors, today we kneel only before truth"

No one knows what happened to the Council of Truth. They and their security personnel just packed up and left. There were rumours of an impending coup, but these haven't been confirmed yet. Regardless, if they are in hiding, what are they hiding from? Certainly not Omni-Tek. If they're hiding from their own people, well, that's definitely cause for concern.

As for the CoA, they are overtly beligerent. Threatening OTRK is definitely not conducive to peace on Rubi-Ka. What I am curious to find out, though, is by what authority have they been given legitimacy to act and speak on behalf of the Clans? When was this election process?

The CoA should be directing its energy and resources to locating the CoT, and really should not begin pounding the drums of war before at least giving OTRK a chance. These are very different times, given the ICC presence.

((Cheney hid because the U.S. government was paranoid that both him and "Dubya" would get permanently nerfed by a wacko with a bomb hanging out of his rectal tract...))

If I was clan I'd hunt down and kill the council of truth for abandoning its people.

I'm not allowed to type the Vice President of the United States' name. And the Bush junior was hiding too.

They are hiding because if they don't hide, they'll get killed by Omni-Tek. I saw that the government of France went and hid during WWII or WWI or something because they wanted to stay alive to be able to govern once they got their land back. Or some country was like that.

If the Council of Truth was to disband, they would say 'we disband'. No reason not to. I would expect a statement from them soon when they can find out how to issue a statement without being traced to their hiding spot.

Originally posted by Alamexis
    No one knows what happened to the Council of Truth. They and their security personnel just packed up and left. There were rumours of an impending coup, but these haven't been confirmed yet. Regardless, if they are in hiding, what are they hiding from? Certainly not Omni-Tek. If they're hiding from their own people, well, that's definitely cause for concern.

As for the CoA, they are overtly beligerent. Threatening OTRK is definitely not conducive to peace on Rubi-Ka. What I am curious to find out, though, is by what authority have they been given legitimacy to act and speak on behalf of the Clans? When was this election process?

The CoA should be directing its energy and resources to locating the CoT, and really should not begin pounding the drums of war before at least giving OTRK a chance. These are very different times, given the ICC presence.

((Cheney hid because the U.S. government was paranoid that both him and "Dubya" would get permanently nerfed by a wacko with a bomb hanging out of his rectal tract...))
    The CoA has no authority to speak or act on behalf of the Clans. Never has. They often pretend they do, but they're just a few organizations. They take 'credit' for toppling the CoT, and are trying to call that a mandate, but frankly the CoT toppled without any 'help' from without.

I honestly think most Clanners just don't take them very seriously. I'm pretty sure almost nobody would follow and obey them.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Undoubtedly. If they fled because they thought there was a coup in progress, where could they have fled to? They obvious didn't come to OTRK (who would have undoubtedly helped them), I doubt they're on their own somewhere in the bush, and none of the large Clans have come forward to say that they are protecting them, so that leaves only two possibilities: (i) they are dead; or (ii) they are with the Dust Brigade.

The ICC should have condemned them. Moreover, every single Clan member should be taking up arms and scouring the landscape for these cowards. Because of them, the Clans have lost their limited autonomy, and instead have ICC peacekeepers roaming their lands. And the CoA threatens OTRK for this? Absolutely baffling.

Ares means 'war god'. That is like Usama bin Ladin who just wants to kill people because he doesn't agree with them. Nothing but kiling for the sake of killing and having war because they like war. What kind of people would name themselves after the god of War unless they were interested in War more than anything else.

If they were interested in the Clans, they'd call themselves Council of Unity or Council of Freedom or Council of .... oh anything but War. If these people happened to be playing Omni-Tek characters, they would want war over on that side. And I think that they would never pick to be Neutral because they would not be allowed War.

What kind of people whould want to follow these kids who play these council of Ares characters? Doesn't offer fun roleplaying.

Post Unity through CoA

Brothers and Sisters of the Clans!

Just to clear ground first - CoA is a temporary military alliance that has been brought into existence in order to help protect Clan territories against the Omni oppression. We wish not to rule over the clans. CoA is an alliance that will disappear once the threat of Omni-Tek is defeated. It is merely a cause to unite for the Clans.

And yes, it is a Council of War, for the clans now face the gravest threat like never before! The Omni-Tek is poised to strike and take away our land, our freedom, our cities and towns. CoA is there to defend the clans. We are not forcing you to join us, we are merely asking that you look at the reality of the threat that is Omni-Tek and unite to fight this threat. To help defend that which is ours by right.

Fiqh
    Member of Clan Anarchist Syndicate

You'd trust an anarchy syndicate and an council of war to protect the clans?

At last we have an admission from a member of the CoA (or a member of an affiliate thereof) that:

(i) they are bent on the destruction of OTRK, no matter how conciliatory or compliant OTRK may be;
    (ii) they seek to do so notwithstanding the terms of the Rubi-Ka Lease, and thus care little for the authority or jurisdiction of the ICC; and
    (iii) that, even though they don't represent the Clan community, they are fully prepared to determine the fate of their brethren without their consent.

And they claim that Omni-Tek is the threatening, law-breaking, authoritarian organization on Rubi-Ka?

So, when push comes to shove, join omni-tek and there will be an chance of peace at last.

You forget the whole reason why the clans were formed. We are clans because we wish to be free of OTRK, their poor working conditions etc.
    I don't know if I speak for my organization when I say this, but if push comes to shove I will defend myself. I am not an employee of Omni-Tek, never have been and never will be!!
    Our ancestors bleed and died for the right to live free, and we owe it to them to remain in that state. To give up on what they bought for us with their own flesh would be nothing short of sickening.
    I'm not advocating that we take the fight to Omni-Tek, or that we sit back and roll with the punches. We have an obligation to defend what is ours. What we collectivly have won.
    This planet is our home, just as much as it belongs to omni.

The CoA is offering protection. I applaud them for offering to lay their lives on the line to protect us all. History had also seen the peoples champions become tyrants and eventually the peoples enemies.

If indeed the CoT has run and is no longer in communication with the people they excist to serve, then they are no longer my leaders. What is accomplished by leaving Tir in the dark of night, leaving it without protection?

Replace a government with a government. We should form a new council. One where the members are accountable for the actions they take. A true democracy. A fools dream? Dreams can come true as long as we all work together.
    Garishna Dual pistol slinging adventurer without a clue.

The "poor working conditions" to which you refer are matters of history. The Omni-Tek Manual Labourers' Guild (the precursor to the Clan movement) was formed in response to the high rates of mortality and hazards endemic of the notum mines of Rubi-Ka. The ire that OTRK incurred - not only from the ICC itself, but from all member corporations - led to its pledging and, given the relative absence of reports of torturous working conditions, having largely fulfilled, a series of improvements and equipment upgrades to safeguard workers in its mines. Your ancestors fought for that, and paid with their lives.

But times are much different now. You have a much friendlier and more compassionate corporation with which to deal. Mr. Ross stated himself that he does not desire war, and even though his reasons are economic in nature (revenues, the protection of notum production), that should at least prove some small comfort that you will not be usurped from your homes in the middle of the night by Omni-Pol.

If you do not recognize the authority of Omni-Tek as the legal authority on Rubi-Ka, whom do you recognize? The ICC?

“The Tir Accord is no longer accepted as an official agreement by Omni-Tek,” Ross said in his speech, "and the entire planet - through the lease given us by the ICC - is now under the exclusive jurisdiction of Omni-Tek, Rubi-Ka Division."

This is not an offical from the mouth quote but it still ring clear in my mind:
    Yesterday’s developments mark Omni Prime’s new, no tolerance policy towards clan autonomy and a staunch approach to dealing with the seemingly arbitrary acts of terrorism which has plagued Rubi-Ka for the last six months.

If as I have heard several times befor, Omni views us all at terrorists then we will all be "punished" for the acts of the few.
    I interpret it as this, Omni no longer accepts us as individuals, something else now.
    The fact remains, if I am a terrorist to be punished I will defend myself and the lives of those I have grown to call friends.

Omni wants the Notum and as long as I remain free it's theirs for the taking. Perhaps a weak attitude by clan standards, but it is my attitude. Exploit me and you gain an enemy.

Perhaps the clans started with poor working conditions, but they went on to fight for the freedom we now enjoy.
    Let Omni have the Notum, Leave me with my freedom and the lands to live in with it.
    Last edited by Garishna; Oct 21st, 2002 at 20:29:13.
    Garishna Dual pistol slinging adventurer without a clue.

I think it was cool that the Council of Truth got like half the planet all to themselves from Omni-Tek. It's just a shame that warmongers had to ruin it for the Clans. Pretty soon, it might be a real mess all over the place because of them. It wasn't Omni-Tek who destroyed the peace, it was these players who weren't satisfied with what the Council had gained for them and wanted to make even more destruction. I thought the clans were the good guys too when I started playing until I saw what these people like Ares had on their minds. Makes me sad for Clanners who had a nice city and pride now to be looked at as bad people and haters.

It is certainly a fall from grace for the Clan community. No matter how ineffective the CoT was, it accorded the Clans one key aspect: legitimacy. They were, for the first time, considered a legitimate entity on Rubi-Ka, with whom OTRK could negotiate as equals. Now that the dust has settled, the Clans remain as renegades awaiting assimilation.

So long as they remain isolated, fractured and non-unified, they will, piece by piece, succumb to the authority of OTRK. The most they can expect to gain from OTRK is tacit ignorance of their existence (i.e., if they don't make a sound, OTRK will ignore their presence). This is certainly not a viable manner in which a community can continue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast