Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What reasons are there to return?

What reasons are there to return?

I want to hear peoples thoughts on the reasons to return. The engine has been delayed years, no new content, no re-balance, population dwindling. I am just trying to figure out what has people still playing, and still hopeful for the future.

I would re-sub for a year if I legitimately had a reason right now.
    Ctrlaltwin. Man. Legend.

New engine is there in the new engine beta, yes it's real. Also the 18.7 patch is going to be a make or break deal for AO I think there are literaly hundreds of class changes and but not only including certain scaling effectiveness of certain proff's nanos' effectiveness, there are also some changes to which perk-lines you have available in certain classes, all this info is actually here on the forums.

As for population, well for the northern hemisphere, the sun is out (mostly) festivals are running etc etc members of the opposite sex (or not) at the beach etc so in short it's very quiet atm. Over winter it got an awful lot busier for a while.

It's your call dude
    Caloss2 LVL 220 melee VANGUARD (semi retired).....Llewlyn 220/30/70 meepmeep.....Boooocal 220../30/70 Soldier.......Knack 220/30/70 Keeper.....Hiesenberg 215/xx/xx NT NERFED Neytiri1 220/30/70 Shade Knacker220/30/70Meat shield
    https://www.youtube.com/user/caloss2 for guides/walkthroughs/letsplays and all your other AO needs
    Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    In my special design documents that I feed to the FC devs, who are my willing slaves.

The questions I ask myself: can you think of an exciting new project? A new twink, a new prof/breed/setup combo you want to try? Can you bear the thought of doing the same content one more time? I find that after 6 months break or so I tend to answer yes to these questions and resub. The difficulties with the population can be gotten around, though they certainly are a minus, but I wouldn't consider them a deal breaker.

I wouldn't count on any upcoming development as a reason to sub. You have no idea when/if it is coming. You have to want to play the game as it stands, right now.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

Quote Originally Posted by Tryptophy View Post
    The questions I ask myself: can you think of an exciting new project? A new twink, a new prof/breed/setup combo you want to try? Can you bear the thought of doing the same content one more time? I find that after 6 months break or so I tend to answer yes to these questions and resub. The difficulties with the population can be gotten around, though they certainly are a minus, but I wouldn't consider them a deal breaker.

I wouldn't count on any upcoming development as a reason to sub. You have no idea when/if it is coming. You have to want to play the game as it stands, right now.
    BS rarely runs
    Duel room is empty 23.9/7
    Towers are non existent
    Nearly all pvm content can be done with tiny groups of untwinked chars.

What's the point of making any sort of twink at this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Phatkeep View Post
    BS rarely runs
    Duel room is empty 23.9/7
    Towers are non existent
    Nearly all pvm content can be done with tiny groups of untwinked chars.

What's the point of making any sort of twink at this time?
    Right now is a typical summer downtime, by the time you finish a char you start now the population will pick up again (no telling how much, for sure).

Not everyone is so l33t that they can wtfpwn all pvm content dual logged with nekkid toons. I agree if you've gotten to that point AO is a waste of time. And if you really only care about pvp, you should wait until colder weather kicks in, or come back to the forums at that point and see if the usual rise has been sufficient.

So I agree resubbing might be a bad idea, but I think it is still possible for some people to have fun right now.

Full disclosure: I'm on break now, mostly because I've done everything I want to do already - I've played the game out as it stands. Maybe someone who has been on a long break hasn't done that.
    General of Nocturnal Fear
    Trypha 220/30/70 Engy | Trypothecary 220/30/69 Doc | Tryptophy 220/30/68 Crat | Trypocalypse 220/30/70 Sold | Tryharder 220/30/68 NT | Trypointy 220/x/x Shade | Peasantry 200/30/69 Keeper | Trycharm 150/20/42 Crat

I can't think of any good reasons to give FC money at the moment. Log a froob and see what you think. Maybe the things you enjoy about AO are not so effected by population and you would still have a good time.

There are no reasons to resub if you have played the game within the last 5 years and done everything. There is no new content, engine and prof rebalance is still under works. Dont listen to people saying "zomg I have seen the engine in the beta" because it is still a looooooong ways from being released.

But think about, if the engine was released tomorrow would that make the game more fun? No you are still doing the same raids. AO lacks a serious bite in fun and entertaining content. You play an MMO for the content (whether that is pvp or pvm) not because of the social aspect, that is just an expensive chat room.

Pay for a year because i know you dont have those new imba implants )
    Genele: ofc I come back to u difs. U used to look as hot as me

There is about nothing new in-game content.
    Borealis PVP happens very barely, BS even less.
    There are teams for about anything once in a week.
    No tower wars.
    + many other good reasons to resub!
    Ciassene

Quote Originally Posted by Ctrlaltwin View Post
    I want to hear peoples thoughts on the reasons to return. The engine has been delayed years, no new content, no re-balance, population dwindling. I am just trying to figure out what has people still playing, and still hopeful for the future.

Just keep in mind that things are the same as they were when you stopped playing, so whatever made you quit the game is still going to be a problem for you when you return. Personally, I would wait until after the next big patch but YMMV.

The only thing that ever changes in this game are deadlines for improvement.

Good reason to resub is - if there is still friends online - an if you're having fun ingame - even if you just use game for chat

My reason to stay and pay is the community - <3
    Most gimped ranged nanomage adv. to ever hit Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by Pafpuf View Post
    The only thing that ever changes in this game are deadlines for improvement.
    This...
    Been here, done this...
    Time to move on...

Don't.

The game you remember is gone, and the people you love with it.
    If you would honestly do it for the solo content, you would already have reactivated.
    You gained 96 PVP Solo Score.
    Angelyna: (03:55) Srompu forces your NCU to run Feet of Stone...
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he's a 220 crat and srompu is probably wearing tl5 symbs
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he deserved to die

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    You don't see people wandering around screaming "THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PERSON WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER IF THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS A QUASIGENDER HAMSTER ON FIRE".

return to build your multibox 6man team.

One word: nostalgia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomium View Post
    I say this with all love and humor, but...

haters gonna hate.

The game is fine, the community sucks (and so does the new engine).

lots of hot chicks playing. definitely worth re-subbing
    Last edited by Paavalniemi; Jul 15th, 2014 at 10:26:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Paavalniemi View Post
    lots of hot chicks playing. definately worth re-subbing
    This
    Vital papers will demonstrate their vitality by spontaneously moving from where you left them to where you can't find them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast