Thread: 300

in the way that most odd and wonderful and awful ideas come to me, I thought up this little gem (maybe).

based on the idea of 2 teams, of many, fighting thru a narrow, confined area resulting in much more 1v1 chained events (think 300) I'd like to have our own little challenge, called simply enough, " we'll think of a name later :P". "THE PIT"

the whole idea is based around a point system, which you guys could help me figure out and debug. 2 groups, clan, omni, and neuts alike, will face off 1 by 1, with the rest of the team behind you, the team is free to support with auras, but that is all, no active influence at all!

Fights will be held in the BS pvp area. not the room, but the playfield we never use.

Choose who goes first, and last wisely, it's important, but so is every win.

every fighter can fight until they lose. there is no rotation, if you run out of fighters before the round ends, you're out of luck.

the first fight and the last fight are the most important, since the most single fight points are awarded, speaking of points, here is what I had in mind:

you don't get, or deduct points for losses, there's simply a switch to next contender, simple!

each fighter can fight until he/she dies, IF he/she chooses, or they can pass, and take the win(s) at any point.

1s fighter win - 5 points, after that, the following wins are all 2 points each.

1st fighter loss - no points given or taken.

2nd fighter win - 2 points first fight, 1 point each concurrent win.

there are 2 minutes between fights, if you're not ready, or don't have a contender ready, 1 point is deducted. NO exceptions, ever!

Final fighter win - 5 points, 2 each after. same as first fighter.

if the last duel is in progress when the 1 hour buzzer stops, the team with the most unbeaten fighters left wins an additional 1 point for each fighter more than the opposing team. it does not matter what the circumstances. so yeah, you should probably TRY to have the doc fight last, but plan your fights accordingly, since the last fight is worth a lot of points, as is the first. it may also be wise, at times, to give up the fight in front of you to fit in a doc, keeper, or soldier in just in time. just guessing at strategies here I'm sure as creative as you people are, some seriously evil and effective ideas will evolve

there are no time restrictions on any individual fights, but then entire event has a 1 hour limit. if you hit after this limit is reached (besides perks going thru already), 1 point is deducted.

important stuff!

there are no restrictions on buffs, all are acceptable, including raid buffs.

there are no restrictions on what you decide to use, NBS, SB, everything is fine.

there are no level restrictions either, you just need to have access to the area we are holding the event, wherever that may end up being

The one last detail....each team needs to decide who is the team manager, this the most important tactical role in the event. the Manager can pull a fighter at any point, he can decide if a fighter continues or not. the manager can also decide on their own, who fights last, this is very important because they can choose ANY fighter in their team, even the ones that have lost or already won.

*After the first week, this is the only part of the event that will stay consistent. the manager is basically your representative for the win, and after the first week, can choose their team as they wish from the pool of players available or signed up. the manager also represents the ONLY heard voice for your team, which will be in the bot with the other manager and any number of judges or refs.

There are NO prizes except those in which your team manager may give out, it's completely at their discretion.

each team chooses an MVP at the end of the battle, and those 2 names, along with the winning Team name (yes, each manager can choose a team name that will stick) will be broadcast across a global channel, and also be recorded in these AO forums, as well as our AO facebook page.

anyway... would anyone be up for this? does it sound too complicated? I know it needs fine tuning, but I want to add reason for tactical decision making, and group coordination into something fun other than the stale and barely existing Notum Wars.

TLDR - don't bother. see ya in bor!
    Last edited by RedWatr; Mar 17th, 2014 at 07:52:56.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

also - no, I don't want to be a manager

ZE LIST: (aka people interested in the idea, and if we can get it to work, they'll be there)

ZE MANAGEMENT LIST:
    Last edited by RedWatr; Mar 17th, 2014 at 09:00:44.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

anyone interested, say so here, and we'll start a list. I already have 3 "if you can get it to happen, or pull it off, I'm all for it " type tells...

guys, girls, in AO, to get things to happen, people need to see that others are on board for the idea ^^ so let's just make it happen!

we can work out the rules, nothing is permanent, but I really believe that something like this, or similar to this, would be worth making the effort for <3
    T O O N Z:

I like the idea of having a series of 1vs 1 fights, and I think if collision ever gets implemented we have a chance for some seriously awesome fights where collision will be SO important, especially if tab and weapon/nuke is restricted to collision as well.

I always thought of Tara as the ideal location to try to get something like this going, ie. big ass enforcers hogging the doorway with 2-3 members of the raid focuss firing diagonally past their enforcer against the opposing enforcer via a doorway, and when all of a sudden one falls, the other side has to get around their side's enforcer to rush the box, etc.

While I think the kernel of your idea has significant value, I think your mechanism/management system would be too clumsy to merit execution.

My personal feeling is that the mechanics need to be updated so the actual management of a similar system is handled by the collision mechanic itself.

then you've got no need for management: all aspects are taken care of by: 1. collision and 2. confined space combat, and 3. tactics of peripheral players.

This for me is really where we want to go with AO in general. The 'good' PVPers will be the ones who have superior movement AND combat capability, tactics and execution rate.

In the case above, the key would be maintaining constant cycling of players into and out of the diagonal firing line, cycling specials, and maintaining proper defence on the enforcer himself. The winning side in the door confrontation would be the side that got the most baddass defensively geared Enforcer into position first, with 1-2 doctors healing from the vanguard position, with 2 streams of 4-5 people cycling into and out of the diagonal firing position at the most rapid rate, quickly wearing down the opposing enforcer and trying to wear down the opposing sides doctors so they finally miss an ICH or run dry on nano.

Obviously, then would come the next stage of defences right? like as soon as the enforcer falls you've got 2 doctors out in the open, so you need your cyclers to collapse to prevent doc gankage, while the docts try to shuffle back wile the rest of the raid is jostling to get a taste of PVP and crushing to the front.

Size of person (agent/enforcer being the extremes) start to play a huge role in tactics: do you go big and try to suck attacks to yourself? or go small and try to avoid collision/attacks and make attacks on sight lines between the jostling melee?

Then the AOE comes into play in a much more tactical way. like: instead of making an attack do 5m radius, maybe it only affects 1 person in any direction, a more deadly attack affects people in the first 2 layers emanating from the target... for example. AOE stuns might affect 7 average sized players: 1 in center, 6 surrounding, provided you can 'sight' the person in the center....

Ya, I think as soon as collision (if ever) is implemented, we'll see exactly the type of combat you're suggesting, only there won't ever be the 'trust' problem (buddy from the back didn't know the rules and opened fire on the target, etc.)

oo, I do like Tara being a possible spot. good thunk man another area that comes to mind could possibly be "WIll to Fight" !I bet most people playing right now don't even know what or where that is hehe.

well, the management position is more than just legistics, I wanted to provide a powerful role for those interested in the responsibility, as well as a position of focus for the team to rely on, so that their thoughts could keep on fighting, and winning. also, the management idea should cut down drastically on over-talking and confusion in the bot. I think once we use it, it will add a nice little dynamic to the whole thing

the geography of the event isn't as important as the idea behind it, only 1 person fighting at a time. I didn't really mean for it to happen in a closed area where only 2 opponents could face off. it can be open area, nothing wrong with that, the idea remains the same.
    Last edited by RedWatr; Mar 17th, 2014 at 03:46:25.
    T O O N Z:

I get what you're saying. I just don't think people want to stand around waiting, unless they are forced, or force excluded (collision).

I also think having 2 minute breaks is pointless, like, the whole thing for me is the dynamics of it... for me that's what appeals. People want the action now, or, to have continuous fighting occurring up to the moment they begin.

I think about the actual battle of Thermopylae, where you've got a few hundred extremely competent fighters, and by collision itself, REAL collision, the entire Persian army is forced to wait, ie held up, because of the confrontation at the bottleneck.

I mean, this is a battle that went down in history, the logistics of it are absolutely amazing, with the greeks being outnumbered by 100000-150000 to 20000 men (50:1)

In game, I could imagine a similar thing occurring: a small group of say 1 enforcer, 3 doctors healing the enforcer block the entrance to the lair, and 3 DPS take down tara while a raid of 100 of the opposing faction is kept out of the lair because they fail to take down the enforcer.

Imagine then you could bring new life to perk actions such as headbutt, or charge. Like, only an enforcer could really dislodge another enforcer, so, maybe you get a perk action or something to dislodge people... that could also be cool. Similarly, brings new value to stuff like the mountaineer line with a self root etc. (ie. self root--> can't be dislodged by the charge perk).

I really wish AO had collision.

heh, I almost posted yesterday, when my original idea was for each team to pick a tank, or "hero", or "champion", (no enforcers) whatever then to have a full support group behind him (no docs) and have somewhat of a battle that way. I gave up on that when I realized that under certain circumstances, the battle would never end, as well as exclusions many people that wish to have some fun on enfos or doctors. It also proved, on paper anyway, that there would be way too many opportunities to cheat with so many perks not needing a target, or to be in combat with. one possible fix would be to limit the aoe for the rest of the team to outside perk distances, but this leads to more can-o-worms type issues.

soooooooooooo..

I like this idea, and I think it can work, like many great and fun things, it needs to be tried in reality and not on paper to understand where it works, or doesn't.

thanks for the input
    Last edited by RedWatr; Mar 17th, 2014 at 04:51:31.
    T O O N Z:

well what about the points thing?

I understand why you want to place emphasis on the first/ last, but there's got to be a incentive.

So would you use the points as an incentive somehow?

that's why we're having this discussion it just a seed of an idea.
    T O O N Z:

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    I think if collision ever gets implemented we have a chance for some seriously awesome fights where collision will be SO important, especially if tab and weapon/nuke is restricted to collision as well.
    Believe me when I say, being body blocked is one of the most frustrating things I've ever endured in any kind of PVP. Its basically a free unblockable and unbreakable root that lasts as long as PVP trolls feel like putting it on you. Double so if people spawn camp, and triple so because it costs nothing except the time it takes to crowd you. :/

And Corner blocking, while not as bad can be equally frustrating. Its on par with backyard hugging.

The upside I could see is that Martial Artists PVP fear could be of particular use in these situations. See Guild Wars 1 PVP threads for details.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
    Believe me when I say, being body blocked is one of the most frustrating things I've ever endured in any kind of PVP. Its basically a free unblockable and unbreakable root that lasts as long as PVP trolls feel like putting it on you. Double so if people spawn camp, and triple so because it costs nothing except the time it takes to crowd you. :/

And Corner blocking, while not as bad can be equally frustrating. Its on par with backyard hugging.

The upside I could see is that Martial Artists PVP fear could be of particular use in these situations. See Guild Wars 1 PVP threads for details.
    ahh yeah rofl, I do remember those bad parts of that now
    T O O N Z:

well, after talking to some people about it, I think I may delete this idea. it seems like nobody is really willing to do much more than what's going on now. maybe at this point in the game, I'd need to think along more simple paths.

either way, it would be nice for someone to step up now n then and try something new FC certainly isn't interested in breaking the monotony of our daily pvp regimen. I think it's up to us to do something about it, or we can just hang in there with the same ol' stuff we've been doing for years hehe.

see you guys in bor..flagged ofc
    T O O N Z:

many bad ideeas when jey is sober

You still play this Jey?
    Based God.

Tara raid ???
    "Don't think...feel, it's like a finger pointing towards the moon"

Quote Originally Posted by Mako View Post
    You still play this Jey?
    eh now n then, it's on my list of things to do when I don't feel like going out, and are bored of doing of things on the list ^^
    T O O N Z:

I saw the op called " 300" and i was all like u started a thread to speak about Eva Green boobs in 3D... i'm sad DUDU!
    Fixutopia: lol u do realize clan only gain towers when bomba/wont lead
    Wonthealu: EU rules are 16, Swedish rules are 15, Thailand rules are 13