Thread: Grid Armor in Shadowlands

Grid Armor in Shadowlands

Im starting this thread as ive been advised this discussion doesnt belong in the Development thread...

If we are getting GA to work in Shadowlands imo we need some kind of lore explanation and hopefully an updated item description; I offer this suggestion:

JAME has been studying the ability of Fixers and MP's to tap into the Notum Veins that run through the Shadowlands, intentionally weakening the nano effect to slow down the casters translation to the Gardens to better map their transit through the veins. (As a side note i dont know exactly what Notum Veins are supposed to be composed of but seeing as pure liquid notum comes from SL im guessing they might flow like rivers)

As a side effect of this research they discovered it was possible to almost entirely pause the casters journey and keep their essence suspended within the flow of Notum, this was simply an interesting side effect until one of the researchers got the idea that possibly a fixers Multi-Spatial Phasing Beacon could be reconfigured to function in a notum vein as well as the grid.

The program had to be radically reconfigured to create a stable projection into the notum veins but ultimately initial tests proved successful. The JAME researchers wanted to keep this effect secret until safety could be assured but the fixers testing it lost no time in informing the Smokers Lounge who happily distrubuted the new code to all their members.

I'd also add a line about altering the appearance of the beacon when used in the Shadowlands, but that would be dependant on the Devs being willing to reskin grid armor for SL. Personally i'd go for something in black and green and less tidy looking.

Any comments or other suggetions would be welcome
    Last edited by Neista; Mar 6th, 2014 at 00:29:19.
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Could a FC emplyyee post here to show that they read forth wall?
    If they dosent read it, then it should stay in the develoment thred so they see it.
    I havent seen a single FC post here the last year and since it's aimed at them it's kind of important they they read it before they destroy the lore
    RK1 - Atlantean
    Lise "Gimpeline" Everwhite - Omni - Level 220/30/70 Martial artist
    Rudolph "Nissemann" Juhl - Omni- Level 220/30/70 Engineer
    Omni-Mining
    Mary "Gimpa" Wormwood 2xx/30/xx Advy R.U.R
    Josephine "Gimpyposer" Dredd 21x/30/70 mp Omni-Pol
    Jarwar 2xx/30/xx Crat Wanderers Sanctuary
    Proud member of Leet Protection Agency

As I pointed out to Neista when she asked, Events has some input about Lore, so its not counterproductive to include them in the conversation.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Neista View Post
    JAME has been studying the ability of Fixers and MP's to tap into the Notum Veins that run through the Shadowlands
    All this extra work for MPs, and what comes out of it? Making fixers better! Bah! /s

Too bad AO doesn't have actual particle effects, would be neat for GA to give off some kind of glow/constantly flowing particles, both on RK and in SL (maybe different colors for the 2)

The shadowlands are just with notum, but novictum as well. Its always been something of akin to 'For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction'. So, it could be that JAME managed to learn how to backwards construct something which was then stolen by the Smoker's Lounge and turned into an actual working prototype.

Something to consider, or similar too. Feel free to kick the tires or use any of that idea and twist it to how you like.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I do not believe any of the appriate FC personnel actually read this topic, as it is for OOC Event/RP related sort of discussions.

I asked Lornavash about it, and he concurred. What is being discussed here sounds to be more of an item description/effect change - with some discussion as to why within the scope of the game lore that would be made. While the ideas behind it may fall into the line of focus for the 4th wall, it is not going to come to the attention of anyone who might implement a change in the game item or mechanics to warrent the lore.

Perhaps this needs to be beached (at least the item changes anyway) in the "Game Suggestions" thread?

Now the discussion of what happens in the shadowlands in general, the effects of the different kinds of Notum, etc .. feel free. I find that interesting.
    Coordinator Ninanna. LTC Team Lead

Current effective emails: Ninanna@ark.AOark.info, ark.Ninanna@gmail.com
    or for Mmir the Events AD: Mirr@ark.AOark.info, arkmmirad@gmail.com
    Events Department, Advisors of Rubi-Ka
    To Email Events Department

Forgive my cynical nature but the idea of putting a thread in Game Suggestions to make the Devs notice it seems hilarious to me
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

Accessing the grid from the shadowlands isn't unheard of for a fixer.
    https://aoitems.com/item/242954/

Does look to be very difficult to do, but I could be possible to have the GA beacon's signal boosted to work within range still in SL.

There has been several technological discoveries since SL opened up, the Xan Syndicate, The Xan themselves, and even Kyr'Oczh communication tech has been dabbled with. It could be safe to assume the software of the GA beacon just got an upgrade.

Was there anything stated lore-wise as to why GA, Beacon warps, and other tech like that didn't work in SL?

FYI, the Xan actually had fixers among their ranks, as reported by the Yuttos Adonis Quest for the Xan Syndicate. So, its not hard to back that claim up either.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Towerblock View Post
    FYI, the Xan actually had fixers among their ranks, as reported by the Yuttos Adonis Quest for the Xan Syndicate. So, its not hard to back that claim up either.
    No police or laws either...

Good times... good times...

Yeah. Until they destroyed the world. Much ow. Not wow.

Hubris makes bastards of us all. :P
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    No police or laws either...
    I can imagine nothing worse!

On topic: I think it's totally within AOs lore for GA to work within SL. The story is an evolving one and is continuing to grow, i don't see why technology cannot grow along with it.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

It tends too, but more or less I've always felt that technology has been seeded by the Unredeemed for the express purpose of us to catch up to the Xan. Quite literally outside of OFAB armour and weapons, I've yet to see anything that seemed completely new. I have no real proof to my claim, but everything we have just seems like rehashed or re-used Xan technology to some degree.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...