Thread: Hi again. 8 years later.

Hi again. 8 years later.

Ill try to keep this short, im thinking of returning to AO again (after 8ish years) hopefully very soon. My guess is a hell of alot has changed since I left and was hoping someone could give me a brief run down of what I can expect?

As you can see from my equips in my sig, I never "finished" the game entirely and Im sure by now they are extremely outdated. I read a few things about a new engine? Sounds exciting. No idea what the best armor/weapons are now? and probably even forgot where to grind or farm creds. Ill need to spend a large amount of time running aimlessly through the world to reaquaint myself with surroundings and would really appreciate a push back into AO.

What major changes are essential to know?

Many Thanks.

:>

P.S. Before anyone says don't bother, I have tried other MMO's over the years and nothing compares to AO in the way of game length, challenge, and customization. So I am coming back no matter what.
    Last edited by Kenzor; Sep 24th, 2013 at 15:35:41.
    Roznek 220/27 Solitus Adventurer - Equip || Dockenz 150/20 Solitus Doctor - Equip
    Kenzor 208/16 NM Meta-Physicist - Semi-Retired || Voiii 182/16 Atrox Soldier - Leveling
    Zorroy 130/5 Opifex Agent - Leveling || Kennzor 21/2 Atrox Trader - PvP Twink

~*"- Squad Commander -"*~
    Of
    ~*"- The Asylum -"*~

Welcome home.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzor View Post
    Ill try to keep this short, im thinking of returning to AO again (after 8ish years) hopefully very soon. My guess is a hell of alot has changed since I left and was hoping someone could give me a brief run down of what I can expect?

As you can see from my equips in my sig, I never "finished" the game entirely and Im sure by now they are extremely outdated. I read a few things about a new engine? Sounds exciting. No idea what the best armor/weapons are now? and probably even forgot where to grind or farm creds. Ill need to spend a large amount of time running aimlessly through the world to reaquaint myself with surroundings and would really appreciate a push back into AO.

What major changes are essential to know?

Many Thanks.

:>

P.S. Before anyone says don't bother, I have tried other MMO's over the years and nothing compares to AO in the way of game length, challenge, and customization. So I am coming back no matter what.
    Welcome back. 8ish years? Doing some math, you left about the time I was starting (which means I am not going to be able to relate to where you left off). On that note, a couple of expansion packs have come along, first. A new set of armor is in game. It is called OFAB. It is worth looking in to as an upgrade for your SL armor pieces. Alien armor may be out of reach for you at this point. We have daily missions now for both regular and alien xp. Look in to those. We also have a new xp sink, called research. It is tiered and provides benefits based on what level you have completed (it also has perks that you can use).

As far as where to farm credits, it varies. Find a niche and run with it. Personally, I have used several at various times. Note that a new player experience is in the works. What that means to me is, a bunch of rich veterans will be rolling alts and will need a host of lowbie stuff that they may not already have (ability items, spec books, passes, ncu, etc.).

The game has a new global market system and a new mail system. I am not sure if the old city based was around when you left, but this would be different.

Oh, and an orgmate who had a "finished" melee advy has semi-abandoned it in favor of a crat (of course a crat, but the point is, he wanted something else). I hear that melee advy is not where you want to be atm, but I do not play advy, so I can only pass along what I hear.

If your org is still around and active, I suggest you get back with them. If not, maybe a new org (or alliance since some orgs are linking up to form larger groups).
    Liamboru 220 Engineer - Brianboru 220 Soldier - Padraigboru 150 Soldier - Tadghboru 60 Engineer - Cormacboru 15 Engineer
    ...and ofc, the army of buff hoes
    ------------------------------------
    PvPDood: Hey, come back and duel me again, I hardly ever get to fight a gimp like you! - Get a /tell like that and it sort of makes you want to evaluate what you thought was a twink!

Walker
    : Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy!
    Texas Ranger
    : I don't even know what that means, but I love it!

I have so many questions lol! So OFAB is a further upgrade to SL tier armor? Interesting. When you say alien armor is out of reach do you mean its harder to get, or outdated for my level?

Main point, advys are nerfed now? How are crats top game? That is so hard to come to terms with, I actually rolled my advy as my last character because they were so awesome at the time.

Oh I forgot to ask, maybe a stupid question but, all my toons will still be available when I reactivate wont they? All gear, creds etc remain? Because I really want to get to grips with the game with my existing main before I roll something that is now "much better".

Also my org seem to have died a long time ago so I'll need to find a new one, damn.
    Last edited by Kenzor; Sep 24th, 2013 at 17:51:51.
    Roznek 220/27 Solitus Adventurer - Equip || Dockenz 150/20 Solitus Doctor - Equip
    Kenzor 208/16 NM Meta-Physicist - Semi-Retired || Voiii 182/16 Atrox Soldier - Leveling

Of
    ~*"- The Asylum -"*~

Welcome back.

Check people's signatures for equipment builds in the profession forums. That would be a good place to start!
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

Welcome back. I was in the same boat as you, except when I thought about coming back, all I kept reading was about how people should stay away from this game and play something else. As usual I didn't listen to those idiots and I'm glad I checked AO out again. You'll become re-acclimated in no time, I'm sure.

OFAB is not an upgrade from SL tier armor - OFAB is armor buy from Victory points (which you can earn in battle station), or from the 2 other pvp dailies there is
    Deceptize - 207 Keeper
    Fedko - 207 XP totam
    Zigko - 174 NT and raising!
    FixKo - 154 fixer blitzing his ass off
    Carloz - 150 s10 Crat twink!

Soon a new gimp to come on that list

Quote Originally Posted by Lejon
    Could we please not have this debate yet again? The horse is winching in its grave...

Quote Originally Posted by Koboko View Post
    Welcome back. I was in the same boat as you, except when I thought about coming back, all I kept reading was about how people should stay away from this game and play something else. As usual I didn't listen to those idiots and I'm glad I checked AO out again. You'll become re-acclimated in no time, I'm sure.
    Im glad you posted this, I read a few things about the game becoming empty. But I still dont care, as long it hasnt got to the point where finding people for raids/grinds is near impossible?

Can I ask what patch the profession balancing came with? Im intrigued to read up about advy nerf/crat awesomeness, it seems so strange to me.

Of
    ~*"- The Asylum -"*~

Quote Originally Posted by Kenzor View Post
    Im glad you posted this, I read a few things about the game becoming empty. But I still dont care, as long it hasnt got to the point where finding people for raids/grinds is near impossible?

Can I ask what patch the profession balancing came with? Im intrigued to read up about advy nerf/crat awesomeness, it seems so strange to me.
    I have no idea about the "rebalance" in all honesty, so I couldn't tell ya'. There are plenty of things to do and the populace to do it with, though (thankfully).

Well, first things first. Start in on research!

advy is a fine prof right now, but is, as it always was, not a "core" prof for PVM activities.

That doesn't mean you won't find teams, it just means it'll be slower to get all your stuff done.

In terms of utility, advy is great in PVP, crap in everything else except soloing. If you wanted to get re-acquainted with game, you could easily roll a crat (good in PVP AND SOLO and team play) and you'd probably level 1-220, and get fully equipped in decent gear before you could do the same on your advy.

Check out orgs that are active in the recruitment section. Lots of good orgs around and they will help you out immensely in game just to bounce questions off.

As Anarrina said, welcome home
    Shadow Ops
    Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see.
    They'll say we're disturbing the peace, but there is no peace. What really bothers them is that we are disturbing the war.
    Tired of little elves with bows? Fed up with spell-flinging goblins? Bored to death by the solitary world of linear games? Despair not. Freedom is on its way, and its name is Anarchy Online.
    Web: http://www.shadowops-online.org | Twitter: @ShadowOpsOnline | AO: Milestones & History

I miss Genesis
    Gone for good
    R.I.P. :
    Bushidobrown 220/20 Omni Soli Crat on RK1
    Dafunky 170/24 Omni Opi Trader on RK1
    Metphyst 220/30 NM MP
    Drimachus 220/22 Trox Keeper
    Raljahz 218/19 Opi Agent
    Kyngsize 214/11 Trox Shade
    Melonn 174/24 Soli MA
    Dafunky 170/17 Soli Trader
    Dizzastarr 170/18 Trox Adv
    Slashwrist 170/11 Trox Agent

Quote Originally Posted by VinniePaz View Post
    I miss Genesis
    Now you don't have to anymore!
    Manicmouse AR SMGs - 220/30 Clan Solitus Soldier - General of New Order
    Lawmaker Pistols - 220/30 Clan Atrox Bureaucrat | Sellyoursoul Shotgun - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Trader
    Adiee Pistols - 220/30 Clan Solitus Doctor | Boltcutter MA - 220/30 Clan Atrox Engineer | Anorexia - 220/30 Clan Nanomage Enforcer

Lazy: the caste system of ao today is clan > omni > wildlife > neuts.

Gatester: Crats have the best toolset for supporting a team in PVE.
    Aramsunat: WRONG! The team supports the crat if the crat is unable to solo (which is rare)!

hi, well, there is a daily system now, which is a way to get levels solo fast, and tokens. 3 for each side, neutrals pick from either side, another daily in Bor, all can get, so that makes 4dailies, plus 1 doja chip, to start, so you can pull up to 5 dailies, however, the one in bor allows for 2 more if you choose battle station.

Since the server merge prices are getting higher and higher all the time. 300CC is over 1bil a piece easy, and so if you have any bots saved they are golden if the right kind. Sell nothing without checking out GMI imo, you could regret it if you dont. Some stuff that was worth alot is now almost worthless sooo its a balance. Personally i dont really find the game empty since server merge so its fun to see the outfits etc.

wb and gl

Quote Originally Posted by Totalus View Post
    OFAB is not an upgrade from SL tier armor - OFAB is armor buy from Victory points (which you can earn in battle station), or from the 2 other pvp dailies there is
    I think poster was saying OFAB would be an upgrade protection/stat wise over tier armor.

I love seeing old hats return, welcome back.
    Last edited by Psikie; Oct 2nd, 2013 at 21:32:22.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Welcome home
    Masterfix (Fixer 220/30)
    Expmaster (Crat 220/29)
    Masterdd (Shade 220/30)

...and som other noobs
    -----------------------------------------------------------------