Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RolePlaying

RolePlaying

Hey everyone, how's the day been treating you?

This is a completely ooc thread. What i want to say concerns roleplaying. I've tried, i really have, to engage in some serious and interesting roleplaying sessions with AO. And granted a few people, especially in rompa's, have been simply wonderful...i am finding that most people don't care to roleplay, don't want to roleplay, seem to frown on people who roleplay, and some even ruin the roleplay by being jackass's to those who are trying to roleplay.

Simply put, i'm finding that putting any kind of effort into roleplaying in this game would be a waste. I always love to watch those that are, but...there are simply too many distractions from people who would rather run around with big guns and blast things. Not that theres anything wrong with that...(heh). What do you think of roleplaying on AO? My experiences have left me completely disatisfied with the idea of doing it again.

P.S. Iceman is not my toons handle. It's simply the one i chose to use on the message boards. (it's my paintball nickname...heh). So please don't think this is the actual toon 'iceman' register on AO.

Thanks,

Take care all.

((Well, you can't expect everyone to roleplay nor can you expect those who do to roleplay the way you would want them to.

Personally, I think there's a lot more players in AO who do take part in some sort of roleplaying than in other games. Or, maybe I just spend more time in areas where roleplayers tend to gather. I also enjoy other aspects of the game like leveling and shaping my character's abilities as well so when I'm not in a situation that involves roleplaying, I'm fine with that.))
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

(( Nevver has some really good points Also, I've noticed that the number of roleplayers sort of fluctuates. Of course, you see a lot more of the party-type ones on the weekends, when folks aren't working

Bonefish did a thread awhile back, a compilation list of roleplaying guilds on RK-1... I'll have to see if I can find it, and link it.

So... who is your character, Iceman? What is he looking for? Military glory? Intrigue? Post a story about him, invite other people to jump into your thread. That's how I've met several people in AO who do roleplay - I liked their threads, and I introduced myself in-game. Find some of these people in-game who seem to roleplay in the forums in a manner you can relate to, walk up, and start your own story in-game.

As far as effort being a waste, I don't think you're completely convinced of that. Otherwise... you wouldn't be making the effort to post your feelings here

Send Barlau a tell in-game (if you're on RK-1), we'll go grab a coffee. ))
    "Dixie" - Young adventurer, anthropologist, marketing rep for R.U.R.

Kiyoko "Barlau" Grebel - Martial Artist, PR Director, Law Society of Rubi-Ka

It may seem sometimes that Roleplaying can be a tad difficult in certain situations. I agree that some people just enjoy screwing up a good scenario, too. And they are out there in Rubi-Ka... but let me assure you that I don't think it'd be a waste to keep trying.

When I came back to Rubi-Ka 3-4 months ago after a 9 month vacation, I was absolutely shocked to find as much roleplaying as I did. It soon became an absolute joy to be able to actually roleplay with most of the people I met.

That's the one thing I found lacking in every other MMORPG I had played the past 6 years: lack of a real meaty RP community. AO's got one if you ask me, and I intend to stick around as long as I can to participate in it.

Ignore the idiots(because there will always be at least a handful), hang in there and try your best to enjoy yourself. That's the name of the game.
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

((What she said...

There are several kind of RPers out there, a well as sevral kinds of non-RPers...

I've met some people - especially "new" chars - who didn't really know what Rp was, adn explaining them by /tells or any other more or less 'private' means was enough to make them understand why I was acting like so-and-so etc... and the sense of achievement if you can bring someone to RP by explaining them, heh... that's something. ^_^

On the other hand, some people just don't want to RP... if they're not interested, fine by me, I won't force them or be an ass to them, as long as they ain't an ass to me, that is (ie continuously disrupting a RP event though they were told not to... that's something I hate, when it's done on purpose and not out of ignorance.

Despite of this, no, trying to RP is *not* a waste of time. Sooner or later, you end up also meeting great people this way, and well... it works the same way than 'let me introduce you to a friend of a friend of a...' chain of relationship. I'm myself not really experienced in MMORPGS, as AO's the first one i've ever played, but jumping directly out of table-top RPG, I can say I even found here something... more, that comes, I think, from... the environment itself. In a way, immersion is even deeper, because, well, you face the other chars as they are supposed to look like... not another player whose face you have to mentally replace by the char's one (do I make sense here? LOL). It has of course its downsides too, but I don't think this thread's supposed to make a comparison between the two kind of games... this was just to say that, yes, chances of RPing are really great in this game.

Maybe you simply was unlucky and didn't met as many RPers as you wanted to... maybe you met a lot more jackasses than 'good' people... I don't know, but for sure... don't stop RPing! Places like Rompa's are still good places to meet RPers, because, let's face it, apart of RPing, I don't really see what any non-RPers shouting 'LFG' or 'WTS' would do there... or whatever else. If you happen to meet some of the people posting in this forum, I'm pretty sure they'll be more than happy to RP with you without any hesitation. Don't think it's a waste of time... don't think it please...

Ah, and as for Bone's thread... It's even Rooted now
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=43174

Good luck on your way of RP... ))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Hi

Like Demenzia, this is my first MMORPG (What's the MMO stand for btw?), having come straight from a tabletop RPG background of twenty years.

Being able to role play makes the game a hell of a lot more playable to me. I would be bored as hell by now if it was simply a matter of combat and leveling.

Yes, there are some idiots out there, but you get that in tabletop games too. Ever played a tabletop game with players obsessed with statistics rather than storyline? Then there are the ones that react to things they shouldn't know, like those who check their characters pockets when the Thief passes a note to the referee. It's all about an obsession with being the best, and they can only relate to that by looking at numbers. Ever rolled up a bad character and played it anyway? They can be tremendous fun I recomend you try it sometime

Obviously not all are into roleplay. As long as they enjoy themselves, it doesn't matter, but I would ask of them to spare a thought for those of us who do. It makes a nice break from the boredom of killing and Implant building, plus gives you a sense of direction.

Try making a couple of macros that build on character. They needn't be big. Just doing your standard greeting can make a difference. Imagine how much richer AO would be if everyone started doing it (wishful thinking I know ). Oh, and btw, call me bias, but if there's one thing I hate in game it's the beggars. Having said that however, I am far more likely to show sympathy to those who roleplay their need for money. Coming up to me with a simple "Can I have some money please" really gets my goat up, but when someone takes the time to rp their need and at least put a smile on my face in the process, I am far more sympathetic, like the doctor who sadly told me that he couldn't afford the gloves he needed, and that his hands were so badly cut he couldn't heal his companions properly. (Please don't start bombarding me with rp requests for money tho, I am really poor!)

I regard myself as pretty hardcore when it comes to roleplay, but that doesn't mean I'm obsessed with it. If I meet someone who clearly isn't into it, then I take time out and talk to them ooc. Just because you want to rp doesn't mean you have to continue with it when encountering those that don't.

Anyway, that's enough from me.

Laters people

Wink

MMO=Massively Multiplayer Online
    Peter Giscombe - Director of the Omni-Tek Corporate Security Coalition.

I do actually roleplay quite a lot. Ever been in Tir, seeing the guy selling food, doing his part to make Tir look like a real, living city? Let's put it like this: If I had a credit for each guy telling me to shut up, I wouldn't have had to sell food....

There are even people who tell me to use the shopping channels...

Well I have plenty of opinions on this, and I don't mean to offend or single out anyone...but here it goes.

This for me like many others is my first time in a MMORPG. When I first created this character with a background in mind for her which would help me with her personality and why she is the way she is, I then walked about cluelessly looking for people to role-play with since that is what Im here to do.

I had met some very cool people, and interacted with them in a "Roleplaying" type interaction. I can't even tell you how many people just kinda walked away from me after asking me ... ware r u from? .. I knew they ment Ooc and I also knew they were not roleplayers or how I would define the term. So when I would awnser .. Well I was born in here in Newland City, by a few neutral doctors who acted as midwifes to my mother, but then we moved to Borealis which is alot less crowded. I normally recieved .. Huh? or No ware r u from.

After becomming familliar with certain places, and attending events doing my part and gaining levels... I started to wonder and then my curiosities were confirmed. I think and I can be wrong ...hopefully I am. But that a good portion of the people that are "role-playing" are just living their personalities through their characters using rubi-ka terms. This style of roleplaying has confused me and baffels me still. Alot of people I have interacted with of course I was IC cause most of the time I am IC unless in a team .. which I don't speak anyway. But then I would have whomever I would be talking to asking me ... So why do you think this or that?... Those that know Lux, notice a few things about her which are far far far from the RL player sitting behind the controls. To which I would have to then go ooc (( and tell this person or people that no.. I the player am not like Lux ...the character.. I am roleplaying her)). Replies to that are varied.

I had recently gone through a phase where I was spending less and less time playing this game cause I was soooo tired of the lack of roleplay. And yes I know there are many groups that do roleplay, but unless your willing to pull a various person into a conversation or confront someone on a topic then its just a clique of friends talking or rp-ing together.

Well now I had renewed my subscription... sometimes I the player get into these lil funks so I figure this too will pass and that if I want to RP.. I will just need to look harder or make myself more available to the rp communities or cliques that are out there. Matter of fact another thing that baffles me is that if my character is seen hanging around or with certain characters people assume or tend to believe that maybe in RL something is going on. The awnser to that is no. Roleplaying belongs in the game for me... I have a very full RL and its just not something I need personally. More power to you if thats your thing.

I do love roleplaying its my favorite pasttime/hobby and my break from reality for a while. Of course with the exception when I get on my lvl hungry kicks ..but this too is rare but it happens.
    I do often bring my character into Rompas ... I would go to Baboons but the lag KILLS me...grr thats another post though. But even when Lux is approached, its the little things or the actions that happen between the characters that fill me in or give me a hint if a person that is talking to me is rp-ing or just talking. I don't know and I tend to ramble, especially when I forget my point. What I do believe is that roleplaying in this game is a very tender subject and a complex issue.

So those that do ... Have fun.. those that don't you have fun doing what it is you do, and don't ruin the fun for others , everyone is just trying to enjoy a game that we are paying for.

Take it EZ

I've read all the posts on this thread, and i'm surprised to see so many people with such a passionate opinion on roleplaying. I myself dabbled on and off in table-top rp's every now and again. Stats are fun, but that wasn't the reason to rp. It was to make a character that i felt i'd really have fun playing. Get into it's mind and live the world through it's eyes. Not confined with the constraints of everyday life. (such as work/school, money, social obligations, rules and regulations..etc etc etc.)

Point being, it's fun to throw off the shackles of society and be something else. Your not really that person, but you have fun none the less doing things in a different way then 'you' normally would. I mean, if you need money irl will you really walk into a nearby forest and slaughter things there? *L* Point made.

So when i play games, it's not just for the stats, it's so i can have 'fun'. I can walk away when it's done and not feel like i've just completely wasted my time. I can feel that i've had some fun, and can't wait to do it again. In AO, i'm finding my roleplaying fun level low. I go on...i do my thing, i get off...nothing gained nothing wasted. It's a "meh" feeling. Why do i come back? I still have 'some' fun. Put on some music, go join a group and do some missions...then try and get some rp in. That's when it sours.

Example? Last night, Rompa's. I decide to hop in after a days work done for omin-tek, and djsoulsister is spinning the tunes. Very chill atmosphere...very chill people. My toon wishes to unwind and get his mind off of things. It's been a long day, and a lot of killing. His muscles ach, his mind filled with doubts, so he gets a drink and engages some people in conversations. Everything is nice...i'm trying to get into the mood and 'feel' of my character. Then some moron walks up and jumps into it. He walks up to the lady i was addressing:

"Hey baby, you ruxors. Yur bod hoty. Come to batroom wit me and let's sexors."

ok...ignore the fool. Maybe he's roleplaying a pig. No...he's not, he's yelling, running and jumping up and down on people, spitting out things that i would seriously beat him for irl. Ok, let's roleplay it. My toon asks him to shut his mouth. He private msg's me and argues. I explain to him i'm roleplaying. He goes on and on. Complaining endlessly. Speaking in a fashion that makes ebonics look good. So after 15minutes of trying to enjoy something, i finally put the fool on ignore. Yet his ugly toon was still jumping around, making an ass of himself. Totaly threw me out of the rp mood. So i went back to missions.

So really, i understand all of your point of views. And i really hope some of you have fun roleplaying in this game. I really do, as that's something i wanted. But it's simply not gonna happen. So i'll play AO for the stats and try not to get bored enough to the point where i'll just quit. You have to be in a mood to rp, if someone aggravates you, it throws you off. Then the rp simply deteriorates from there. I wouldn't want whoever i'm rping with to suffer a bad game because some moron threw me off. But i really hope some of you do have great fun roleplaying. Post more of your games on the role-playing message board. It's a great read with coffee at work. I really enjoy some of the work i've read. Maybe someone can make a compilation and put it on a website somewhere?

Sorry for the long thread, i ramble when i type.

Have a good one.

I enjoy roleplaying, it is one of the reasons I like this game. All my characters, once I get them past a certain level, will start to develop personalities for themselves (I used to think them up in character creation, but I found myself making up lots of characters that only made it to level 5 or so before being deleted, so I stopped that. lilnymph, my main, has a personality very similar to my own, not identical by any means, but pretty similar, in that she is a pre happy go lucky character, quite friendly, and loyal to her friends. my first character on here was very different. She was an Omni agent, and very pro company. My RK2, alt is basically the same as lilnymph, and I am not yet sure how my other alts will pan out (or even if I will keep them, as they are both low level). However I will always try and stay in character with them, especially in vicinity chat, unless I join an ooc chat. Roleplaying wise, I have enjoyed table top roleplaying before I got into online, and one of my favourite characters was my female theif in AD&D, who had very low strenth and consitution. Her weakness in these areas made her fun to play, as it added to her background and personality.

anyway, have to go and do some real life work now, so enjoy, and dont lose faith.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

OOC

I have met more RPers then I never knew existed since forming my own guild. I have been collecting them into my guild it seems. Also, being a guild leader has help my RP members find like organiztaions/members to RP with. It can be a trial to RP that much is certain but well worth it considering the alternatives of the level tread mill like some mouse running in one of those wheels. If you are interested in making contact with some RPers, please send me comm and I will see what I can do about helping you meet some others. I am on RK1 and clan.
    -Finalizer Vixentrox-
    Former President and Founder,
    -Whisper's Edge-
    Former Member of the Atlantean CoT Clerical Staff

Socializer 73% Killer 53% Explorer 53% Achiever 20%

Kissysuzuki -
    WTB small enough brain and lack of imagination to be able to sit and solo hecklers for 5 days straight.

Post What is role-play?

Looking at this thread, there are a lot of strong opinions about roleplaying. The one thing people have not said is what they are calling role-play. The people who came from the pen-and-paper types obviously have some idea what they mean. Of course, in those days, it was very easy to tell where the role-playing started and ended.

When I first started, I role-played as well. The people I met seemed to as well. They made guilds, danced, had marriages, and other activities. But as I got to know some of them better, it shocked me to hear that people who were taking on active roles say things such as "I never role-play." They were were just playing themselves. That ruined the game for me for a long time.

And as I read the posts and hear about the all the role-playing that is now going on, I have to ask: Are we counting cyber-sex as role-playing here? We must be when I read of the suppossed role-play guilds forming. And since it is role-play, does that mean that the players don't have feelings for each other. I guess we cannot count all the people who have left their partners in real life to be with the person they meet during their "role-play" here. And for all the people who are "role-playing" this way and say they are "role-playing", we can all be glad that you have no true feelings for you partners. I would hope they are glad as well, and not shocked because they did not know you were being someone else. Maybe the reason people are meeting more roleplayers than they new existed is because they don't exist.

I love to RP.

Yet finding RP is both easy and hard in game. Easy in that you can wander into a club someplace and probably find someone that does RP, and hard in that it is difficult to get into good RP.

I've noticed that there seems to be far more RP in Omni than Clan. I've yet to find a good RP'ed scene in or from Clan ... the closest was a rather fun scene while starting an org. Yet while in Omni territory, I have seen a good scene involving management of Baboons, and Rompas seems to have a good core group of Rp'ers (like Sezma). Unfortunatly, I play a Clanner.

Still, coming from 3+ years of Everquest where there is next to nothing for RP, AO is much better in the role play aspect.

The only problem is to find roleplay. *sighs*

Someone mentioned there was a list someplace for RP oriented Orgs??
    Fransisca "Mythia" McKesson
    Meta Punter Of Rubi Ka

There is no "right" way to roleplay. Some players like to play as themselves within the game world, and I don't see why that bothers some other players. Those players are still sticking to the confines of the game world so who cares if they're not playing completely opposite of their real selves? I play Nevver sort of like that in that my real personality comes through for the most part. However, I have a couple of other characters who I play rather differently and they are not much like me at all. I enjoy playing each of them for different reasons and, in the end, that's all that matters. Sorry if I'm not a completely "real" roleplayer, but I have fun doing what I do.

Every once in a while, someone makes a reference to pen and paper rp games. I've never played one of those, but I do know this much - this is not a pen and paper game. In those p&p games, you invite a few friends over to your house - and only those people - set some rules and guidelines, and have complete control over what's going on. That is not true in these online games where you have lots of people "over to your house" whether you like it or not. You are no longer in control and do not get to dictate what happens or how other players play their characters; they have their own ideas of how they want to play. If how others roleplay bothers you so much, you either need to find a game where you can control who enters the game world or go back to pen and paper.

I'm not trying to flame anyone or single anyone out here, but this isn't pen and paper!
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Originally posted by Mythia McKesson

Someone mentioned there was a list someplace for RP oriented Orgs??
    Here:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...threadid=43174

Hi Nevver

First off, this is not a flame, just some constructive comments having read your post:

This is not pen and paper - I wholeheartedly agree, although I disagree with your perception of what pen and paper is, particularly as you confess to never having done it yourself. You do not have full control in pen and paper, if you did, there would be no point in playing. Only the referee can be viewed as having any form of control, and even then, it is by no means full. Players have often caught me by surprise with their actions demanding I have a rethink. AO is much the same, in that Funcom is the referee, and the players caught them by surprise too when some preferred to remain neutral.

I find the biggest difference in AO is that more people take things personally, and I believe this to be a consequence of two things. 1 - a failure to understand that roleplay means you are acting out a personna (even if based on yourself, you are still "acting", based on your opinion of the virtual personalities you meet in a fictitious world), and 2 - you cannot see the facial expression of the person behind the keyboard. In pen and paper for example, a player could turn to another and hurl abuse, based on the fact that their "character" hates the "character" of the other player, but at least they can follow with a wink or a smile, whereas in AO you don't get that, except in a tell maybe, but by then it can be too late if the offended player is trigger happy with their keyboard.

You do have a point in that if participating in a game where the presence of those who don't role play upsets you, then you should try a different game (NWN for example allows you to choose who enters), but that's certainly not my issue here. I appreciatte some just play for the action, and good luck to them. Having fun is what matters, and I'm happy to let them get on with it. It is not my intention to preach to others how they should play. What I object to is those who deliberately try to spoil my fun because I happen to enjoy the roleplay aspect of the game.

Someone on this thread asked what Roleplay is about. To me it's the opportunity to immerse yourself in a different personality. Become someone else. There is nothing wrong in playing oneself. It can still be considered roleplaying if your reacting to your environment - e.g. talking as if you were in the virtual futuristic world rather than the real one.

Incidentally, I've subscribed to this game called "Real Life" and it sucks! Minimal cost is about 8K a year! If you dont eat the game ends, and when you log off it takes on average 8 hours to log back in!

*chuckles* Escapism, that's what roleplaying is all about. Sometimes we need it
    Last edited by Enerbias; Oct 21st, 2002 at 23:51:44.

Originally posted by Enerbias
    I find the biggest difference in AO is that more people take things personally, and I believe this to be a consequence of two things. 1 - a failure to understand that roleplay means you are acting out a personna (even if based on yourself, you are still "acting", based on your opinion of the virtual personalities you meet in a fictitious world)
    Tell me about it. You have no clue the amount of /tells and OOC grief I get for IC role-playing someone slightly to the left of Vlad the Impaler. Most role-playing, pen & paper, online, wherever, usually requires conflict of some kind of make it interesting. Think on it. Be it in the movies, on a TV soap opera, at work, at school, 'conflict' is interesting. When you were at school; how often did a crowd gather to watch a fight, as opposed to a crowd gather to watch two people become friends? Or kiss?

But that said, conflict can range from a simple discussion, to an argument, up to a fight, all the way to nuclear armageddon, - we like positions contrary to our own, because it makes things interesting. Or at least we like seeing other people's conflict. Interest in 'conflict', at whatever level, is a part of us being humans.

Think on this... how much 'good news' is there ever on a TV news show, and how 'interesting' (perhaps a poor word to use) is it compaired to the 'bad news'? How often is good news sensationalised compaired to the bad news?

Now if we extend this from loving conflict, specifically everyone loves to hate the 'bad guy', even those of us who play bad guys love to hate a different bad guy. The problem with playing the bad guy, is as Enerbias says above, people take things personally. They even take it personally when logic is screaming what they're taking personally can't possibly be personal or RL.

Many people tend to assume, even whilst you're obvisouly role-playing, that you just *out of the blue* attacked them in RL. Never stopping to wonder why it was for no reason, and hence why it wasn't really a personal attack. Many people tend to get on the hyper-sensative trip without thinking.

And before I get burnt to the ground by those members of 'annonymous Omni org X' who think I'm aiming these comments at them - really, I am not. This kind of thing has happened time and time and time again, it wasn't anything new. Trust me.

So being positive about it, how do we fix this? Warn people? "Excuse me guys, I'm going in-character now and I'm about to act nasty, get ready..."

That can't be it. That takes the fun out of role-playing, because then it becomes a script your reading for a part. It takes away the improvisation, and having to impomptu role-play on your feet, and think. I would also suggest it takes the fun out of being shocked by being the target. Wouldn't you say?

People occassionally talk about role-play servers. Perhaps that is the answer. Perhaps not, I don't really know.

There is one thing I do know though. All my RL friends have one-by-one dropped out of AO over the past 18 months, and now I stand alone from my RL 'friends group' still playing AO. Hence... I don't really know anyone here in AO in RL.

So if I don't know anyone here... why on Earth would I insult or attack you personally? Insult your character? Now that's a different topic of conversation.

Example: Valaik is probably the person I get on poorest with IC. Without question. There's some respect there true, but it's still a real hate-hate thing all the same. Never shy of an insult, pretty harsh ones at that too.

I don't know Valaik in RL at all. Not at all. Never spoken to him, never seen him, certainly not met him. We've never 'arranged' any of our conflicts, nor set anything up, nor warned each other, nor in-fact apologised.

However I have spoken to Val a number of times OOC by /tell, and I've not met a better opponent/non-SPARTA person in the game. We get along famously well.

How so? Because everything's in-character, always in-character, never ever out of character, and any emotion attached to whatever we do or say to each other, stays with the characters, and doesn't come into RL.

Heh, look at me I'm rambling now, but I'll throw another idea into the ring whilst I'm on the subject.

I might not agree with some of the things Meister does. I might not agree with some of the things he says. However I do agree with an awful lot of what he does say and do, because he's living his role IC more-or-less all the time. This isn't a Meister-love rant, but whilst we're on the subject of being in-character, has anyone ever stopped to think that Meister's role-playing topdog head cop leader here?

How popular would that make anyone?

Sorry to any RL cops out there... but come on. How 'popular' are the cops in any country. Meister is immediately on a loser here, no matter how he plays it, and then it gets aggravated by people taking what he does as OOC offense all the time...

I hear a lot of moaning about Meister, some because of OOC stuff, and that's all fine, and we'll leave that and not go there because this is a public forum. But the stuff that drives me batty is people compling OOC about what he's doing IC, and then reacting IC about the OOC emotion.

Er... hello. Meister is playing 'head cop' of a nasty semi-facist company called Omni-Tek. Anyone notice the wealth of black uniforms and black armour Omni-Tek sports? Anyone guess why? Meister, if he was a perfect player role-playing the perfect head of Omni-Pol, would be a nasty, oppressive individual, who has his people stomping around all over other people who aren't toeing the company position. Give the guy an OOC break! He's not doing a bad job of playing a bad guy.

Whilst I don't always agree with him, I feel for him, because in a different way, I find myself getting a similar type of flak over things I've done IC, and ways I've behaved IC.
    Someone on this thread asked what Roleplay is about. To me it's the opportunity to immerse yourself in a different personality. Become someone else. There is nothing wrong in playing oneself. It can still be considered roleplaying if your reacting to your environment - e.g. talking as if you were in the virtual futuristic world rather than the real one.
    I was watching the 'making of...' documentries on the Usual Suspects DVD again the other day, and something Gabriel Byrne said struck a cord with me. He said he believed that the best actors (with a few exceptions) always play themselves. They're just interesting people we like watching, and that's the key to being a good actor, you're an interesting person. Think on it a moment. Gabriel Byrne always plays Gabriel Byrne type characters and roles. The same can be said for just about anyone else... Harrison Ford always plays Harrison Ford, Anthony Hopkins, Dustin Hoffman, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, hell... I could list about every major movie star in the world, male or female, and we could debate whether or not they are 'good' actors, but the simple fact remains they always play themselves.

So where am I going? I think back to every character I've role-played over the past 21 years, and arrogantly I think I'm an okay role-player, and every one of them has been me. Deep inside that is, they're all kind of me. Yes, some have been highly religious when I'm not at all, some have been women, when I'm not at all (trust me here...), and some like Bonefish have done ultra-cruel and nasty things that I'd never do in RL... however... a big chuck of what Bonefish is... is... well, me, Matt.

I agree with what Enerbias says above that we're all playing a role, and that's true. I know I am. But thinking on it, we're all also playing ourselves, like it or not.

Kind of turns on it's head a lot of what I've just said eh?

Hey, contradiction is fun.
    Incidentally, I've subscribed to this game called "Real Life" and it sucks! Minimal cost is about 8K a year! If you dont eat the game ends, and when you log off it takes on average 8 hours to log back in!
    Very very good.

Before I close off this post, I've written it all in one splurge, without spell checking, or checking grammar, or going back and deleting things I've said in rant. So please forgive me those. I feel given I'm a very often a 'target' for getting OOC abuse, I want to reply to this thread in kind, and from-the-heart.

I don't mean to flame anyone, nor attack anyone personally, as I said I don't know any of you personally, and hence have no opinions about the real you's.

However, I will close by saying; give the oppressive characters a break. We're in-character, please take what we do and the way we behave in-character, and don't get a big OOC sulk on.

And next time you jump on my table, interrupt my role-play, shake your ass in my face, touch my body in any way you'd not realistically be able to in RL, expect that I will insult you, and true though I may be thinking it in RL, I am still insulting you IC...

I'm always in-character.

/me sends out big love to all the shady Spartans. "Spartans - I salute you!"

Garret "Bonefish" Silvestrini
    Director - SPARTA
    Chairman of the Omni-Tek Security Council (OTSEC)

Founding Member of the Omni-Tek Security Council

garret.silvestrini@ot-sparta.org
    www.ot-sparta.org

Question Where is RP?

Hi guys,

i am totaly new to RP, at lvl 83 i have been concentrating on lvl and action. I read some of these threads and i wanna start RPing from time 2 time, but donno wer, how and wen 2 do that. I was just in baboons and it was all empty can some1 pls help me? right now it is 10:40 wer i am, does that make all the events at 3am for me? Is there any RP meeting places? oks send CSKA a /tell tomoro or post here.
    TY in advance

!!CSKA!! - RK1 83 MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast