Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Do you think I qualify now my darling?

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    The only thing SWTOR did better than WoW was voice acting during quests. The stories themselves were a little bit worse, if you bother to read the quest text in WoW they're actually not bad. Blizzard always have been top notch story tellers. And WoW even has decent voice acting during major cinematics/more recent quests, it's just not in every single one.
    Most people space bar through that stuff anyways. SWTOR is also a solo-experience MMO with optional teaming, which is not what WoW is. SWTOR is closer to Phatasy Star Online. Similar mechanics only mean they did the same thing that WoW did, which was copy other games which did it before.

Was WoW the first to do anything, can you actually copy a copycat?

Also, regarding the storylines, are you going to say that the WoW universe is better than the Old Republic universe or are you saying the WoW character you play has a better story than the Old Republic character you play? From what I am seeing people are comparing the WoW lore with their characters they played in SWTOR. Having not played WoW I am not entirely familiar with it, although I know the lore of the world itself is extensive and appears to be of a good quality from what I have heard from others, how is your story as a character in that game? Are you just like in AO, a nobody who just happens to be doing things along with a bunch of other nobodies or do you have an actual questline where you become someone important and do grand things that have you recognized in the world itself?
    Last edited by Gatester; Sep 23rd, 2013 at 23:25:13.

In the sense of NPCs being aware of you having completed a previous quest, yes, WoW does that in some cases. Most zones are on a disconnect and have stories distinct from each other, each with new NPCs, though. Though the way you ask that makes it seem like SWTOR NPCs do recognize you in the world, which isn't the case. It's still the "Oh you're here, so you've obviously done this mission, now we use your name and class in the dialogue."

As for WoW firsts, I think dedicated raid instances? Most raids before WoW were open-world. Server-wide efforts (such as opening AQ gates). Otherwise, yes, they're basically the Apple of MMOs. They took what had come before and polished it into a better product. Main difference is Blizzard doesn't overcharge like Apple.

I continue to enjoy your unfounded and poorly researched bashing of WoW. Please continue, it's always fun to hate on popular things. It's what gets hipsters through the day.

hahahah

it's weird and sad that people in AO are a "bunch of nobodies" doing stuff with "other nobodies"

I guess it's kinda nice though that there's no illusions of grandeur.

I have to say that I kind of enjoyed doing the questing bit in SWTOR, but I got really tired of it. After playing through on my first toon, I'd had it, and never wanted to do it again (even on different classes/factions).

In AO, because there's no story, you sort of don't have to deal with all the jabbering of people you don't give two sh*ts about which is kinda nice. You can just play, and the only thing you *need* to do is stop and re-equip occasionally.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    As for WoW firsts, I think dedicated raid instances? Most raids before WoW were open-world. Server-wide efforts (such as opening AQ gates).
    World of Warcraft pioneered a good amount of things. Part of their PvP details, most of their PvM design and details, the whole "Leveling is not the most of the game, the end of the game is pretty much where you'll have the most fun," and a lot of their systems.

A lot of World of Warcraft's features, were actually pretty unpopular before World of Warcraft released. Stuff like instances weren't pioneered by them, but were unpopular before. Raid instances, especially competitive, you could say Blizzard pioneered.

A lot of the features on World of Warcraft were a result of some of the design team being previous Everquest players.

I really have to try hard to believe that most of the people that have a lot of negative things to say about World of Warcraft really even played MMOs before World of Warcraft existed (and I'm talking about more than Anarchy Online. Games like Asheron's Call, Ultima Online, and Everquest), as while MMOs were unique before World of Warcraft, they are also overall really broken and terribly blended together in comparison. In the sense of how Blizzard essentially got it right, could be compared to Quake 2 (Of course, in Quake 2's time). Most just don't compare them side to side and really compare it. I mean, I really appreciate uniqueness, and I don't like how many World of Warcraf copies are out there, but I don't think trash talking the one they're copying is really in the right place.
    Last edited by wonderland; Sep 24th, 2013 at 01:07:27.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    A lot of the features on World of Warcraft were a result of some of the design team being previous Everquest players.
    There was an interview years ago where some WoW developers actually said they took a lot of inspiration from AO as well. Though yes, a few Fires of Heaven guild members were hired by Blizzard, and the guild was asked to delay their raiding so that other people would have a chance at world firsts.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234