Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, I am stupid. What is an RDB?

Hi, I am stupid. What is an RDB?

If you go to the testlive forum it says that the RDB has been converted in preparation of the new engine. I am a very stupid person. I sometimes wonder about stupid things but stop because I am so stupid. This is one of those things. Can someone explain to my stupid self what is this RDB and how someone as stupid as me should care about this. Sorry for being so stupid.

Looks like it's most likely Relational Database. How that fits into the new engine, I have no clue.

by asking this question, you have proved yourself as curious, inquisitive, open to new information, and aware of processes leading to aquiring it, thereby affirming the fact that you are not stupid. you sir, are a liar :P
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

It's simply where all stuff in AO is stored (weapons, armors ...) with all there details, pictures ...
    Igoros, Adventurer
    Igoroc, Enforcer
    Igorus, Keeper
    Igorac, Doctor
    Igoras, Fixer
    Igoris, Soldier
    President of Phoenix

From a usability viewpoint, I'm concerned about how this will affect current existing working tools like ItemAssistant, Clicksaver, etc as they parse through a database for use.....
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

IA, CS, etc will need to be adjusted.

RDB might in this case stand for Ressource DataBase, too.
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    sannz - ENL - NR01-GOLF-11
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    Looks like it's most likely Relational Database. How that fits into the new engine, I have no clue.
    In this case they're referring to the Resource Database.
    You can find the current one under <AO Install Folder>/cd_image/data/db

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

As said, it's the resource database. It contains most of the data AO uses to be what it is; textures, mobs, weapons, armor, etc..
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Considering the drama when the RDB needed to be upgraded for >2 GB size, I guess this is a mile stone. Then again, this time around, they knew all along that the RDB needed to be addressed and weren't caught with their pants down
    keep smiling
    Najade s, Najengi s, Najngi s, Najmp s, Shadysannz, Toccata, Frobos, Chaodoc, Najcrat, Najtank
    a time of changing has begun; the leaves are fallen and undone; inside my spirit starts to run; and all my fears are overcome. - Chiasm, Rewind, 2005

For the curious: Testlive CIDB is updated to latest patch. There were few item changes in this patch. If you want to look at the details of the changed items, log on to Testlive and ask Itemsbot about them. (more info in the linked post)
    Last edited by Demoder; Aug 20th, 2013 at 11:07:47.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

I totally agree with OP.

Quote Originally Posted by sannz View Post
    Considering the drama when the RDB needed to be upgraded for >2 GB size, I guess this is a mile stone. Then again, this time around, they knew all along that the RDB needed to be addressed and weren't caught with their pants down
    Assuming they do wear pants in the office after all.
    220 Agent + :: 220 Doctor + :: 220 Soldier + :: 220 Enforcer + :: 220 Bureaucrat + :: 217 Adventurer + :: 217 Trader + :: 159 Engineer :: 112 Fixer

Inferno Travelguides

Doesn't that mean like, every item has a new skin, the armour looks shinier, etcetera - the things have been updated to look shinier? Well, the disk space has been changed in order to DO so.
    I'm Batman.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyoming View Post
    Doesn't that mean like, every item has a new skin, the armour looks shinier, etcetera - the things have been updated to look shinier? Well, the disk space has been changed in order to DO so.
    No. From what I've seen, there is no immediate plan to update assets for the new engine.

Actually, the only assets that will get updated is the ones that will break the new engine

The rest of the assets will keep their old skins.
    ----------------------------
    Showing why AO forum is not to be trusted - on S10 inflation

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Multiple players in my org can make 200-300m maybe even 400m depending on lucky drops in 2 hours of farming the place. If you cannot see this as being an issue, then I don't know how to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by Keex View Post
    Assuming they do wear pants in the office after all.
    Suddenly that Teletubby costume picture from a while back is starting to make sense....
    keep smiling

So if it's just a convertion why does it take an additional 2GB? (uncompressed storage? was it compressed in the first place??)
    To Equip User Faction == Neutral

Quote Originally Posted by Aimzor View Post
    So if it's just a convertion why does it take an additional 2GB? (uncompressed storage? was it compressed in the first place??)
    It needs to store the converted database alongside the old one during the conversion process, but the old one is deleted once it's done.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Oh gawd, this means work to be done on AOIA+ .. right in the middle of heavy uni work and starting internship too. Are there any major differences to be aware of Demoder? .. Before I go install VS2012 again - yes, I had a HD failure and lost all my phatz .. any help with new format will be greatly appreciated a this point, but I will have a peek from testlive later today.
    Equilibrium may refer to: The condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced, in a wide variety of contexts
    Infinity may refer to: The state or quality of being infinite. A number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number (symbol ∞).
    Vengeance may refer to: Vengeance (concept) or revenge, a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance

AO Item Assistant+ :: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoiaplus/::

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dream ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Not a rant, not a flame. Just another perspective."

Only the index file has changed as far as I can tell. The block header seems larger by 10 bytes? And each entry is 4 bytes larger to allow for 64-bit pointers.

Note that these extra 4 bytes (for the high-order 32bits of the datafile offset) are at the start of each entry, and you have to read them as 32bits, then read the old 32bits which are now the low-order... my first attempt at just reading them as a single 64-bit value didn't work. (They are all 0 at the moment mind you, so for a quick-and-dirty fix you can just ignore the new bytes... but once AO's database gets over 2Gb...)

Demoder may be able to provide more details

I've updated my icon extractor, and as far as I can tell, Clicksaver (v2.4) should just work as it uses a recent enough ctree dll.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Cheers Darkbane! I'll update AOIA+ this week to read the new high-order / low-order 64 bit pointers.
    Equilibrium may refer to: The condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced, in a wide variety of contexts
    Infinity may refer to: The state or quality of being infinite. A number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number (symbol ∞).
    Vengeance may refer to: Vengeance (concept) or revenge, a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance

AO Item Assistant+ :: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoiaplus/::

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dream ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Not a rant, not a flame. Just another perspective."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast