Thread: Idea: An AO Timeline Community Project

Idea: An AO Timeline Community Project

[Disclaimer]: This is only a suggestion, nothing more, northing less.

Hello!

I will get right to the point. There are excellent visual timeline creation and collaboration tools online that displays any sort of timelines beautifully with navigation tools that can zoom in and out of 1000s or 10,000s of years within milliseconds with images, screenshots and attachments of any type of multimedia (e.g. pdf documents, embed youtube vids etc). These tools allow anyone to correct, or contribute to the timeline project if they so wish.

Now you may have these thoughts:

1. The timeline is already on the official webpage and in the appropriate forum?
    2. How on earth would all this work?
    3. Why do this at all?

I wrote several paragraphs here and deleted them, so straight to the point. I will link the tools below but I want to make a few bullet points before I do:

• It would be nice for the whole AO community or those interested in the time-line to have access to the complete time-line with an opportunity to discuss, question or add visual such as screenshots and in-game videos linked from youtube and embeded in the time-line.
    • The time-line should be comprehensive and include everything from Prophet Without Honour to in-game dialogues etc.
    • Everyone can enter, edit and help out with the timeline. Or post questions and other material.
    • It would be done because in the end it is a fun way to tie together all the AO lore and have it in a very quick and viewable format that is graphically represented and can link to all sorts of multimedia, recorded by players or taken from official sources.
    • It allows to put notes and comments too, and some a post-it note with questions about the lore that people can answer.

So what do these timeline tools look like? Here are a few examples:

There are many more tools that could be evaluated.

Gargle

*sniffs the air*
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    *sniffs the air*
    Come on Trousers, give it a yay or nay.

Either way I gave it a shot. I may just do it for fun myself one day when I have a bit more time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    *sniffs the air*
    So the sniff meant that it smells like crap Trousers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gargle View Post
    So the sniff meant that it smells like crap Trousers?
    We're discussing it on IRC now, have some patience lol - feel free to drop in #AO-Events
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    We're discussing it on IRC now, have some patience lol - feel free to drop in #AO-Events
    No worries Cora. Please keep in mind that it would be advisable for a Funcom or ARK to start the main account for a timeline, to be able to keep the main account with the game if the project would take off.

I can do an example tomorrow with one tool just to give an idea if you guys think it's worth doing, if not no worries.

Whilst it would be one of those things that would be cool, i'm afraid i'm to busy with other projects to help with this at this moment in time.

Whilst not wanting to shoot your idea down, i also see little benefit. We already have a timeline here and timeline discussion is this very forum.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    Whilst it would be one of those things that would be cool, i'm afraid i'm to busy with other projects to help with this at this moment in time.

Whilst not wanting to shoot your idea down, i also see little benefit. We already have a timeline here and timeline discussion is this very forum.
    No worries. I've been reading and browsing all the threads in Fourth Wall and I've found at least 3 other threads that wanted to implement a similar idea with basically 0 response so it was a pretty futile idea to begin with. The time line you linked doesn't include 1949 and onwards I'm afraid. And it's simply just a poor excuse for a webpage as far as navigation goes. I hope one day when they have enough resources the rebuild the webpage with a visual time line. I know this may sound harsh but I've found the whole timeline/storyline rather dull since after the release of Shadowlands, almost like it's been greatly neglected. AO has so much potential, so many promises and so little delivered.

Thanks for the reply Cora.