Interesting discussion with GM Nirvelle about chatbot rules

According to GM Nirvelle:

http://i.imgur.com/v8xEOYT.jpg

and:

http://i.imgur.com/y8ZXbpY.jpg

So after hearing this I decided to ask the real question:

http://i.imgur.com/ti6v48p.jpg?1

Thoughts?

That's a terrible font. The message is more or less what is common knowledge regarding FC's stance on bots though, nothing new there.
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Quote Originally Posted by Gaveup View Post
    That's a terrible font.
    And what font would you recommend?

The message is more or less what is common knowledge regarding FC's stance on bots though, nothing new there.
    So then are there bots out there that post into public channels and don't get banned?

That's a terrible font. The message is more or less what is common knowledge regarding FC's stance on bots though, nothing new there.
    This.

Also, wrong forum - fourth wall is for ooc discussion of the storyline and events.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Quote Originally Posted by Agentcora View Post
    Also, wrong forum - fourth wall is for ooc discussion of the storyline and events.
    Ah. I apologize I spent 10 minutes trying to decide which forum to post this in. Guess I picked wrong :P Any chance of a move to appropriate forum?

Hehe no bother, you'll have to wait for a lurking forum mod to move it
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Ah yes The almighty forum moderator :P

What exactly is the concern here (or is this in relation to)? Raidbots, Mass-messaging bots or something else?

It's been well known that bots are held to the same standards, that's why Neutnet administration (when it was just RK2) was always so strict. If a bot spams something to hundreds of players that can be perceived as harassment then the bot and its owner can be banned. It doesn't matter if Joe Schmoe initiated the message to the bot, the bot itself is the one sending the message and thus the owner is the one held accountable for any communications.

Unfortunately, a lot of people don't realize that and treat mass-messaging (aka spam) bots as their own personal soap-box.

Now in regards to bots being attached to channels. Over the years I have seen bots attached to the faction-specific Org leader channel (Neutral and Omni) and then removed by Funcom request. I believe that if it is reported, they can fall under the category of spam (they were spamming when people log in/off, online list avail for leaders, etc). I would think that a bot that was a simple relay (i.e. relaying chat directly from an OT OOC in Bor to an OT OOC in Inferno) wouldn't fall under that category though I guess there's grounds to say its spam as well.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jul 30th, 2013 at 21:15:47.

Well actually the first though that comes to mind is to have an org bot send out its own recruiting messages. I don't mean on a timer or anything like that though. Simply having it so if I am online I can send the bot a command, say !recruit, and the bot will send one recruiting message into the appropriate channel and be done, until the next !recruit command is sent.

I see alot of people using local scripts to recruit people, which there is nothing wrong with doing, but by having the bot store the recruiting scripts, you could have every recruiter using the same script database.

EDIT:: I wouldn't want to host a bot that relays messages into the public channels, although it would be nice to have the ability to cross OOC channels.

there are certain bots that do fairly questionable things that are still alive =p

Quote Originally Posted by Youmad View Post
    there are certain bots that do fairly questionable things that are still alive =p
    I would suggest using petition for issues like this that trouble you.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by desrik View Post
    Well actually the first though that comes to mind is to have an org bot send out its own recruiting messages. I don't mean on a timer or anything like that though. Simply having it so if I am online I can send the bot a command, say !recruit, and the bot will send one recruiting message into the appropriate channel and be done, until the next !recruit command is sent.

I see alot of people using local scripts to recruit people, which there is nothing wrong with doing, but by having the bot store the recruiting scripts, you could have every recruiter using the same script database.

EDIT:: I wouldn't want to host a bot that relays messages into the public channels, although it would be nice to have the ability to cross OOC channels.
    Just my personal opinion:

1. if it's on timer - we prooly have unattended gameplay, which is TOS violation
    2. if clanner use bot to send message to OT OOC channel (or Omni to Clan OOC) - it's sploit since by game design we aren't supposed talk to chat channels of opposite fachion
    3. if someone using bot to spam chat channels of major cities while actually fighting some mob in middle of Inferno - it's sploit again, by game design chat channels split by zone and player have access to chat in 3 zones only (current and 2 he were before)
    4. if bot parse chat channel and send tells (advertizing some 3rd-party web site) to peoples when when see some keywords in their messages - it's again unattended gameplay and TOS violation

5. if bot send messages in tels only to ppls who manually subscribed it and only when someone manually sent that message to bot (like Neutnet does) - all is OK
    6. if someone using script to send message to channel(s) available from his current location - all is OK

I'm personally petitioned for cases 2, 3, 4 many times. Dunno if that helped to get rid of it, but said bots either no longer exists or don't use public chat channels/tell random peoples anymore.
    Last edited by candle645_; Jul 31st, 2013 at 15:49:20.
    Candle645 - Soldier, 220/30/70; Arieel - Keeper, 220/30/70; Candleadv - Adventurer, 220/30/70; Candlemech - Engineer, 220/30/70; Candlekicks - Martial Artist, 215/26/67; Candlegrids - Fixer, 126/15/max; Candledoc - 200 uber froob

Quote Originally Posted by candle645_ View Post
    if it's on timer - we prooly have unattended gameplay, which is TOS violation
    how about a timer that is only running if the bot detects an admin online? when the admin logs off the bot stops posting messages

Quote Originally Posted by desrik View Post
    how about a timer that is only running if the bot detects an admin online? when the admin logs off the bot stops posting messages
    Automated Game Play
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Let's face it, whatever the rules are... they only apply when FC feels like enforcing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Unkfix View Post
    Let's face it, whatever the rules are... they only apply when FC feels like enforcing them.
    Well from what I can tell FC doesn't mind the chatbots. It seems more like it's the community preventing people from being able to do certain things with the bot. Bot does something, someone else sees it and doesn't like it, they petition, bot gets banned. Unless the bot was seriously spamming the channels, I don't see FC issuing a ban without someone else petitioning them with a complaint about it.

What about leveling a toon named "Imarealplayer" to lvl +-15 and make a bot send recruiting script through that character (as a slave bot) so people have actually no clue if its a bot or not.

/solved
    ||| 220/30 MA - "Hellangel" |||
    ||| 220/30 Doc - "Leontynka" ||| 220/30 Crat - "Qanel"
    ||| 220/30 Fix - "Sure" ||| 220/30 Keeper - "Haqa"
    ||| 220/30 Enf - "Renai" ||| 172/24 Adv - "Partyzanka"
    ||| 220/30 Adv - "Dadey" ||| 150/20 MA - "Juda"
    ||| 220/30 Engi - "Hatatitla" ||| 110/12 ENF - "Peklo"
    ||| 220/30 NT - "Kituska" ||| 95/10 NT - "Piddltlipatz"
    ||| [Come Get Some] |||

"Interesting discussion" you say, and all you do is post 3 quotes?
    Luckystriker 220/70/30 Solitus Soldier
    Luckyscrat 220/70/30Atrox Crat
    Sliced
    220/6x/2x Atrox Shade

Member of New Order