Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: All things in good time! A thought list.

All things in good time! A thought list.

To any new people, my main's name is Bubbacrush. I am a roleplayer in the AO community for many years now, and have been playing off and on since beta. I used to be one of the many organizers of RP on rk2, before the server merge. Many people, roleplayers or not - may be at least familiar with me from before that merge took place. I am bringing this thread up because a couple of us have been talking, and I thought this would be a good time to get some community thoughts/feelings together on a few subjects.

In the past, we have had RP meetings before. Some of them went decent, but most of them did not. We had 4 hour sessions of Q&A for a RP meeting and it seemed that sometimes it was hard to get all our thoughts and notions together in a decently paced way that was easy on the whole. On rk1, there were meetings under the name 'The Greencloaks' and that idea is being tossed around again.

So, I've decided its probably a good thing we can come up with a list of things before hand so we don't bog down sessions of Q&A for any of the upcoming RP meetings, especially any of us who could conceivably may not be present for the big RP meeting which final dates have not been released to us. The idea thus far in its evolution is that there is going to be a large RP meeting with us as players and with the ARK events crew. Another angle is entirely up to the RP community which may or may not have ARK eventers present. Both of these plans are a good start to establishing some closeness and awareness to the efforts of both sides of this coin.

So, if you guys/gals have any thing you want to get out before-hand with questions or answers that we can come together on, I think this is what is to be encouraged. As far as what ARK events can answer, I'll let them chime in as they see fit. What I'm hoping is that we can comb through the dialogue between us first and sort of manage things before it turns into a dragging session that some might not particular enjoy sitting through before having their own word in.

To get the ball rolling, I'm going to lay down a couple of things that I have been considering behind the screen.

1. My first priority to the role-playing community is awareness. To that end, I intend to answer most questions that are made available. If any reader here has a concern as to joining the roleplay community but isn't sure how to proceed, this is the perfect opportunity to step up and ask questions. I have no intention of calling anyone noobish or naive. The goal is to have fun. In order for me to have fun, its important to keep others up to date and/or informed. This community is a great place to start that ball rolling. If I am not available, there are some good people on this panel that would easily be willing to fill those shoes. I also encourage people of different perspectives sharing opposing views too, as long as its handled with some positivity. Awareness is absolutely key to keep people inside the ring.

2. If you wish to talk to ARK events, there are several ways this can be done. What I do personally is to put the ones I am familiar with on my friends list. When they log into the server, sometimes I may have a question for them or get feedback. This can work for you too. However, I do suggest to keep things brief for them. If there are multiple ARK eventers online at once, they may be up to something.. which means you may get the chance to be a part of the storyline. I also have a version of mIRC installed called Pidgin. Its a chat client that connects me to the #AO Events channel. The means of installing and getting that set up are found here in the All-in-one thread.

3. Clan side main roleplayers are sort of in the minority, and I barely count towards that end. When meetings and events proceed again at the pace we started with this month I fully intend to continue awareness into Clan-based RP, with the hope of getting people together with meet and greets. This is important because the current demographic seems to favour Omni-tek at this point in time, and I think its important to sort of even out the scales a bit. I have taken into consideration that many neutrals and OT roleplayers have clan alts, and there is nothing wrong with that. However, for big events where there is always going to be people that would be more willing to be involved on their mains, then their clan alts. Having more clan mains in addition to the alts we are accruing would be an extremely helpful boon. In between big sessions, is where the bulk of us tend to gather in small groups for simple social exercise. There is a short list of spots to sometimes check if there are more than a few of us online together. In addition to these hotspots, keeping people on the know of where RP can potentially happen is also a valid help. For instance, if you are interested in getting a small simple social RP together, you can simply announce your intent in the RKRPOOC or RKRP chat bots.

4. The bots I mentioned previously are very valid tools to getting started in RP. There is even a system in place for entirely Omni based RP, which has helped them organize their collective selves quite nicely. I'll let their operators speak for themselves on that front. For the OOC (out of character bot) you only need type /tell rkrpooc !join, and it will add you to the group. The same is true for the IC (in character bot) /tell rkrp !join, as well. If you have questions, then asking in the ooc bot is probably the wisest. Were a small but helpful community, so I doubt you'll have any trouble getting answers if you press hard enough.

5. With some help, I've started a RP community site that is going to be hacker-centric. In a cyberpunk world, information and anonymity is king to the professional 'edgerunner' as it were. The site is already done, thanks to the efforts of Agrestus. It will have some fine tuning as I intend to have spots here and there for fun things like learning the hacker lexicon and hacker dos and donts, and the like. The goal of this site is a RP-centric homage to the group known as 'Anonymous' which has taken quite a controversial role in modern internet politics since their conception. Anyone familiar with some of the stranger sides of the internet may familiar with them or groups like them. Disclaimer is that it is in fact role play, and has no real world ties nor connection to that particular group. It is merely a thematic stage in which to engage role players in that sort of style. The groups' aim is to be a power based upon individuals, but those that can keep their identities a secret to the rest of the world. Factional lines will be crossed and murky. That is the beauty of this group is that openly pays very little loyalty to faction unless you as a player deem it to be important to make the distinction. It is not meant to be a site dedicated to grid crimes against opposing factions, though sometimes the group may collectively decide to engage in crime for a greater purpose they deem is necessary. More information on this group will be available during its unveiling. It is also not entirely just based upon Fixers, but anyone that considers themselves to have a respectable sense of computer literacy, and digital espionage.

6. I personally will be doing reports under my assumed reporter identity to bring a certain something to the roleplay community that is not entirely based upon warring between opposing factions. I believe that the conflict is integral to the game, and that has had its own stage for quite a while. I won't undermine that. But, I'd like to bring something to the table that isn't just all that, but dedicated to things that will bring a sense of immersion to the game that may not have been there before. This falls under my initiative of Science, Art, and Culture. If you feel that you'd like to be a part of that initiative, I full endorse any attempt to do so.

7. As some of you may be aware of, the RP professional program is already underway and we have representatives already available for you to 'interrogate'. You should take full advantage of that. The current list of them can be found at the very beginning of the All-in-One thread. One cannot stress enough how important some of that information may be.

8. I am opening Steadfast up for any clan based roleplayer or alt who believes it might be a good fit for them. I am currently on the fence as to whether or not I can get behind it 100% as a PVX (player versus everything) because its not really entirely necessary to go all the way with it, yet. I put stress on the 'yet' part. I'd likely invest every ounce of my game time to get it going that way if there was enough interest. However, in its current state it will remain just an RP guild/organization for now. The status of that may change in the future.

9. If you are curious about the storyline and how the world of Anarchy Online evolved from the days of the fictional history it was brought up on, there are people who are far deeper into the lore than I. These folks can easily give information and are likely eager to share their findings. These players may present themselves in this thread if they choose to, but I will leave it up to them to out themselves publicly.

10. Events are not just ARK run! Players do have a measurable amount of storylines they intend to share with other players. Over the course of time, even I have had story arcs that weren't dependant on ARK Events to see through them. It is however, largely a matter to take up with the individuals running them. Also, feel free to test the waters by creating your own! I'm positive there is someone here in the community who may have an interest in getting involved with other people's stories.

11. Which brings me to a final bullet point, and that's involvement. Involvement is important because unless people are actually involved and engaged in these things, then really all were doing is theorizing and talking about what's possible or plausible in the world of Rubi-ka. The great thing about role play and playing the role is that you, as a player, can choose your level of involvement. You can play on the sidelines and spectate, or you can jump full on into the barrel and hope everything explodes all around you. If what you are doing is entertaining to us, you'll find many of us will return the favour and continue the immersion to entertain you as well. Its a two way door, and has never been otherwise. Therefore - INVOLVEMENT! Its highly encouraged to get to know your fellow roleplayers, IC and OOC. Discuss ideas and networking is how we all plan these things out. Don't be shy!

The floor is now open to discuss things, or ask questions. I highly anticipate and am excited for the future of this storyline and this game, because currently the ARK Events team are numbering higher now then I have ever heard of before. Its gotten a huge jolt and is coming alive like Frankenstein's monster! The sooner we can all get things onto the table and managed, the quicker we can get to creating and maintaining the community in a fun way.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Really? almost 48 hours later no one had anything they wanted to ask, or comment on for the upcoming meetings?
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I think before we hold the ARK-Player meeting it'd be beneficial for us all to have a player version first to discuss everything we want to speak about. I know this essentially what you're asking for here, i just think it'll be easier to do it all together. Plus, i'm not sure the others frequently check the forums.
    Officer "Agentcora" Geers - Permakilled </3
    Administrator "Navarl" - OT-OC Administator
    Sheriff Dalten "Basley" Rooster - Omni-Pol
    Fylakas "Aggelos" - Shadowlands Resident
    Janice "Gowski"- IRRK Reporter

Also i just rather went for the ingame chatbot to ask questions.
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Well, all good points but you are mostly preaching to the choir here. Few ppl come to AO to RP, most have to be shown it in-game to see if they have any real interest.

Given the time zone spread it is obviously hard to get the bulk of the RPers together at one time. Once Rainys has set a date/time for the ARK/Player meeting, we'll be in a better position to see what we can do prior to that in terms of organizing and coming up with a list of topics to cover.
    Dagget
    President,
    Venice Academy

Going to say this needs a TLDR.
    I've read it all twice now and after each reading forgotten what it was supposed to be about.

But my overall suggestion is all RP related boards this one included need to be swept clean of old posts. Anything relevant needs to be collected into a single thread, with a contents post at the top and stickied at the top of every RP related board. This needs to be done by someone who ark can edit the details within at a later date. No good getting a dev or such to do it if ARK cannot alter anything at a later date when it becomes invalid.

Eg, The "Roleplayers All in One Thread"

A brief introduction.

contents - post links to further posts in the same thread

Content posts (one post for each section, and in no real order).

A brief history.

detail the legacy clans, Omni-Tek Departments, the other Rubi-Kan groups (eg, Newland City Council, Dust Brigade) and other groups who have an interest in Rubi-Ka (eg ICC, Sol Banking).

List of all ARK controlled RP characters. (LTC's and STC's)

List of all ongoing plots with small blurbs.

A brief history.

Some stuff about the technology. Reclaim tech, the grid, whompahs, the known properties of notum, nano machines and nano programs.

Some hints as to where to find RP, possible links to RP guides and/or Mary Sue.

List of organisations which Roleplay.

Information about the CoT, BoD, NLCC meetings when they come back.

The RP representatives info.
    Last edited by Effrit; Aug 4th, 2013 at 21:35:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Effrit View Post
    Snip
    This sounds awfully familiar

What I think is the most important thing first is to get more and more roleplayers in the community. We've had a long talk in the IRC yesterday about that and while I didn't keep the logs, I think I could post some ideas.

Meetings as mentioned in the OP is a good way to get new people in the current storylines and/or even the whole backstory of AO. I think the main problem with the greencloaks was the weekly schedule and the fact that the players got answers to their pressing questions while no new players appeared with more questions. I don't think meeting once a week with the ARKs is a good idea mainly for the above reasons. Plus giving them more free time to organize things can not be a bad idea. There should be meetings between players however. IC/OOC doesn't really matter.

Lessons? While I'm against the idea of lessons for several reasons I cannot deny that when we held lessons in DA with PBF and Mirrura several orgmates started Rolplaying that up to that point were looking the rolplayers as something Alien. Lessons could be about roleplay rules (metagame, powergame etc) or how a fight is resolved IC or history lessons or how to speak lessons... You catch the drift.

GridStream Productions. Before anyone start yelling let me explain. These people play music and throw parties. And they do a pretty damn good job at that while getting new players on their events almost every time. If a good core of the RP community was there IC and talk/emote/etc IC it would be a good way to advertise the community to new players. I did it yesterday and while I got noone into RP eventually people liked that alot. And speaking from personal experience that's how I got into AO RP. I was walking in Borealis when I saw Tarryk playing music and a couple dozens people dancing, approached, and I had Gimpeline/PBF an ARK and (name's escaping me now. Someone from the CoT clerical staff) talk to me IC.

Closed Roleplays. Don't know how much this is happening compared to 3 years ago but if it does we need to stop it. If we roleplay something and we see some stranger comming through the whompah and starring at us we need to welcome him to play with us. Or even force him into action. In most cases he has something to do but there's a really good chance to stay for a while if what he's doing is not too pressing. Grabbing a random traveler through the whompahs as a hostage to give you the edge in escaping an OTAF persuit for example will make the random stranger think :WTH is going on here? Let's play along for a while. I can do the BS or the twinking a little later.

And last but not least. We need to be active. I can't stress that enough. I know even we need to do other things than RP the whole damn time we're logged in but doing everything else while stalking the bots to see if an ARK or someone we like RPing with logs in to organise stuff, ain't gonna take us anywhere. People need to know us. People need to see us around having fun and also making them have fun us well in our own special way. People need to know for example that if I go at the newland dish I bet my ass I'll find this weird clan opifex girl drinking beers at the stone bench. Hell she'll even offer me one.
    Sometimes I want to scream
    So long that life escapes.
    Then I'd shut my eyes.
    I'd be the angel of disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by Azazelkeep View Post
    Grabbing a random traveler through the whompahs as a hostage to give you the edge in escaping an OTAF persuit for example will make the random stranger think :WTH is going on here? Let's play along for a while. I can do the BS or the twinking a little later.
    I bet you my forum hat that if you grabbed a random player who was running somewhere to do something, i.e twinking/running to a mission etc they'd more likely either A) ignore you or B) start trolling you.

I think it's much better to let people approach you than attempting to force them into it.
    Last edited by Agentcora; Aug 11th, 2013 at 15:29:57.

I don't want your hat! I'm a Clanner fighting for freedom. Police has nothing to do with me.

But yeah. You maybe right. Forcing is bad. In any way it is applied.
    Sometimes I want to scream
    So long that life escapes.
    Then I'd shut my eyes.
    I'd be the angel of disgrace

There could be many more active roleplayers in AO. You see a lot of random unknown players with RP tags on that probably would like to get more involved in RP.

I think one problem is the elitist mentality of certain individuals in the RP community.

An elitist roleplayer will refuse to roleplay with certain groups because they have labeled them, which fits in nicely with their elitist outlook. This prevents them from growing as a roleplayer and helping raise the level of RP all over, because they are only exposing themselves to certain individuals (no doubt other elitists).

An elitist roleplayer like to be the center of attention all the time. They will stack other players around them as if they are mere contributors to their scene instead of trying to achieve a group dynamic where everyone is having a fun, active purpose.

Over the years I have seen so many people trying to get more involved with RP on RK1, only to get labelled and ignored by one of these elitists when they did something that did not live up to his standard. As a consequence they stopped roleplaying and this has effectively kept the RP community small.

Another way to get labeled is of course to voice criticism against the elitists. :P
    Shadyn Lario
    General - Omni-Pol

Over the years I've seen plenty of people with their own ideas of roleplay and what their preferences are. I wouldn't make the mistake of judging a preference of roleplay as elitism, as you are effectively pretty much calling someone out for something that you yourself are openly displaying.

Remember, everyone prefers their own brand. Habits and preferences are what they are. You shouldn't mistake that for anything else.
    And as a purely self defensive reaction, I'm going to hip a few people to a few things that I take into stride when creating a character. I go for immersion. My characters have jobs, preferences, goals, aspirations, human traits, highs, lows, people they care about, and people they would rather avoid. If somehow someone I have met IC does not fit into that schema either through their own actions or lack of actions, then that is a choice I made. If that is considered Elitism, then consider me a proud Elitist. I think through 'most' of what my character does, and when I'm not talking - I am internalizing. If you want to critique it in such a way to remove that process of self-determination and self-identification, then I posit that you are not going to have a very good time with ANY roleplayers of ANY caliber.
    Last edited by Towerblock; Aug 13th, 2013 at 06:17:52.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

I certainy do not want to remove any process of self-determination and self-identification. That’s not what I meant. Quite the opposite actually. Since you write that you got a “self defensive reaction”, let me assure you I was not criticizing you or most of the roleplayers.

I just wrote, very generally about how I have perceived the RP climate on RK1 during the years. People being put on blacklists by player x for not roleplaying according to certain RP standards. New players might not be as knowledgeable about Rubi Ka lore and might make RP mistakes. Instead of ignoring them, another approach might be to OOCly try and correct them in a friendly way.

Another aspect that I think makes other players reluctant to roleplay more frequently is powergaming.

Powergaming is for example when roleplayer A forces roleplayer B to do an action which could reasonably be avoided by the character being acted upon. Roleplayer A then gets upset and puts B on a blacklist for not roleplaying according to A’s terms. That’s also something I’ve seen happen and which has caused players to lose interest in RP.

Anyway, I am certainly not a perfect roleplayer. I have made many mistakes. But this was a discussion on how to broaden the community, wasn’t it? If an elitist only want the community to consist of other elitists, roleplaying on very specific terms, then my guess is that the community will remain very small.
    Shadyn Lario
    General - Omni-Pol

Quote Originally Posted by Shadyn View Post
    I just wrote, very generally about how I have perceived the RP climate on RK1 during the years. People being put on blacklists by player x for not roleplaying according to certain RP standards.
    That's pretty harsh. We only exiled two particularly bad RPers to RK1 that I know of, and that was because they were acting like A-holes and abusing the community members.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Relating to Azaze's GSP idea, it would be a good idea to incorporate them to some extent with the RP community. While they do play music for a variety of AO players that shouldn't be enough to dismiss them out of hand. Having a player run radio station can be a nice tool to have when it comes to certain things. Using them for ads or just sort of random RP snipits is a cool way to include other people in the story (ie having DB do an add on them that simulates hacking the stream to broadcast propaganda).

There are a bunch of cool ways they can be incorporated into RP itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    That's pretty harsh. We only exiled two particularly bad RPers to RK1 that I know of, and that was because they were acting like A-holes and abusing the community members.
    Not really big on airing out dirty laundry, but...

RK1 got to be extremely toxic 3-4 years ago. Most RP orgs refused to RP outside their own orgmates, and if ARK Events were involved in a storyline it got to be cutthroat-competitive. People were more concerned about getting their name in the IRRK, and 'winning' RP then just having fun.

Blacklists were common, and sweeping often including the entire org the targeted person was apart of. Hell I was blacklisted right off the bat the moment I joined Assembly just for being friends with Tussa.

Some black lists were justified, such as an individual constantly godmodding, or refusing to communicate about stories to the rest of their org. Others would engage in sexual harassment, and **** RP and justify their actions by saying 'It's ok it's just RP, and if you don't play along you're a bad RPer'.

It cannot be stressed enough, RP is all about communication and cooperation. When that stops it stops being fun and people stop RPing.

Hopefully RK5 will learn from RK1's mistakes.
    Point Blank

Well, before this has the chance to deteriorate let’s leave what happened in the past, in the past. This isn’t RK1 or 2 now and I’d like to think we’re all sensible and can move past what ever happened years ago. If people still have issues with other people, then I suggest speaking to them OOCly and reaching an agreement.

Let’s keep the focus on how to improve current RP and not change it to squabbling about what people may or may not have done in the past.

On topic: Incorporating GSP in some events is a great idea, and something i look on doing for a recurring event, if i can make the nessecary arrangements, and GSP agree to it of course.

Ok so catching up on forums...

GSP did actually get involved in several events both player and ARK flavored. I kind of recall (Tarryk?) being help hostage and forced to broadcast a play by play of the attack on the party in Hope.Getting involved with them again is a damn good idea.

Killing off closed RP is a good move too. That just strangles involvement to a minimum. There is a time and a place, but the vast majority of RP needs to be open in order for the community to grow. It might be a good idea to have more open in character meetings, like say a Clan Rper could meet with and make connections with other clan and neutral RPers. And same for the OT/Neutral as well.

Bubba, couple of other things you talked about I'm interested in I'll try to contact you privately so this thread doesn't get muddied up with half baked ideas on my end.

As for lessons... Unless there is a gigantic boom in the RP population I don't see the need for it. There plenty of us to work with New faces as they show up on a case-by-case basis. So long as we're friendly and supportive it'll be gravy. Folks need to realize that we do in fact play nice OOC, and they will respond in kind most of the time.
    Point Blank

Wow Bubba, some post. Admire your commitment. Wish you the best of luck with point 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotts View Post
    RK1 got to be extremely toxic 3-4 years ago. Most RP orgs refused to RP outside their own orgmates, and if ARK Events were involved in a storyline it got to be cutthroat-competitive. People were more concerned about getting their name in the IRRK, and 'winning' RP then just having fun.

Blacklists were common, and sweeping often including the entire org the targeted person was apart of.
    Reluctantly bumping this discussion because some people just won’t give up. They seem addicted to OOC drama and doesn't care that it's destroying the RP community.

Want to blacklist player X? Word. Don't like player X? Right on. Getting your whole org on board? Yeah, go ahead and flex those pixel muscles.

If you aren't getting along with someone, then jet off to someone else. Develop your plot and RP with with people you enjoy to be around. Ignore the rest, because really, they are too involved for their own good anyways.

That’s all fine. There’s one important line that shouldn't be crossed though. That is to invent allegations. To lie OOCly about other players just because you can. Accusing players to have done X OOCly. And of course conveniently forgetting to take a screenshot to prove it.

Unfortunately things like this are going on, and the people spreading absurd lies need to be reminded about Funcom’s rules of conduct which says:
    ”You may not harass, cyber bully or threaten other players in any form while participating in any Funcom game or communication channel.”
    Curious to know the end game for an OOC drama queen anwyay? To have the accused player quit, his/her org disbanded? Would that be a victory? I guess you might achieve that but hopefully this might serve as a warning so that you stop doing it to future players.

As someone wrote, this has happened again and again on RK1 and too many roleplayers have quit unnecessary.

There's a point where you just need to not give f***. This place is make believe. It's a place for developing fictional stories, not one-upping each other OOC and IC.
    Shadyn Lario
    General - Omni-Pol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast