Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Plea to Vets: Don't discourage new players

A Plea to Vets: Don't discourage new players

Last week I came back to game after a 9 month break and joined an org called AO Recovery. This org's goal is to encourage players (new and old) to form teams and level/quest/etc together rather than use the kiting/ost method. The org itself doesn't condemn anyone's way of playing but is providing a safe haven for those that agree with the 'old school' method of leveling.

That being said, I was in a leveling team today in elysium and things were going great. We were mainly killing mobs around the Sunken House/P7 area. Everything was fine when all of a sudden an OST enforcer decided to intentionally train us with hecks. Giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.. let's say the first time was an accident. If so, the 2nd time he came through, just moments later, certainly was not. And those in the team that were not killed by his attempt were then trained by the NT that was with him. The end result was that the group got discouraged and ended up breaking up. A couple of us put in harassment petitions, but obviously those aren't responded to instantly.

After the 2nd training we could've just tried to find a diff spot. Unfortunately there was someone pulling hecks for an OST team in the other directions and the whole experience really discouraged the people in the group.

I'm not listing org names or anything like that because the point of this post isn't to name and shame anyone. I'm posting this as a reminder to everyone that there is more than 1 way to play the game and its possible for us to all play our own way without destroying the play experience of others (especially in this case).

Secondly, and more important, if we as players want the population of the game to grow, we need to be more welcoming to new players and not do things like train them and discourage their progress. Maybe you want to OST your alts, that's fine.. but don't begrudge someone new the opportunity to experience a traditional team via mean-spirited behavior.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

While it would be nice if Ely was less of a... erm, I want to use a word that describes a hell hole of drama flying in all directions that brings out the absolute worst from the playerbase, but I have already been told to curse less on these forums so hopefully you'll just have to get the idea... the likelihood of that actually happening is really not that high.

Here's the alternative that I have learned to use over the years: whenever the mess that is Ely gets too much, go somewhere else. The devs have even boosted RK XP in some areas (hopefully more will follow). Do some RK missions. Spend some time in IS for a bit. Learn to kite (non-NT kiting) PW borgs. Catch up on useful RK quests that might have been missed due to time spent leveling in SL (especially by newer players who may not know about them), ie. the Bronto crowd, Bazzit's, etc.

New players more than anyone are going to be more open to the idea of alternatives because they haven't lost that wide-eyed fascination for the game world yet, so they actually have a reason to explore it whereas veterans probably don't. Bonus points if going back to RK results in you mingling with froobs.
    Last edited by Ahndracorvid; Jul 4th, 2013 at 10:19:43.
    :E

Ahndra, definitely agree and I actually joined a froob RK mish group after this happened. It was funny as a one time thing but I doubt its something I'll want to rinse and repeat. Something about the enclosed area was getting to me (I'm not a fan of SL mission areas either).

The point of my post wasn't that I didn't know of alternate places to go but to remind people that their actions impact the experience of new players and to stop being so 'mean' to those that are in less fortunate positions than themselves. That type of behavior is really no way to help rebuild the player base.
    You can find me at:

I get that, it's just that trying to coax people in Ely into being less mean-spirited is like trying to fling a leet into orbit using nothing but your arm. :/

While I agree 100% with Traderjill there is an easy solution:

Whenever I want to kill some Hecklers in ELysium I go to nort/east part of Elysium (east -southeast from Divide) there is plenty of Heckers there and no good spot for leechers to sit AFK.

I have never met there any ost/kit team.
    Awikun 220/70/30 Ranged adv - my Main that I hardly ever log
    Awisha 220/70/30 Shade - Can solo 95% of all bosses
    Cratawi 200/70/30 Crat - S7/DR Solo farmer
    Awiken 220/70/30 Eng - Pvm Eng
    Nukiwa 200/70/30 NT - almost forgotten (awaiting retwink)
    Awidoc 200/70/30 Doc - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awix 200/70/30 Fix - 200 fun pvp twink
    Awienf 220/70/30 Enf - tanked every single boss (and still lives)
    Soldawi 220/70/30 Sol - Pvm Sold
    Awima 150/xx/xx Ma - best S10 MA farmer
    Doctorawi 220/70/30 - Pvm Doc
    Awienfo 200/70/30 - Atrox with Pande red belt and 2xQL300 hammers
    Macierewicz 220/70/30 - Pvm Crat
    Zlakobieta 220/70/30 - max complit +top tradeskiller

Flag up, sneak behind the Enfo, gnak. If he doesn't get the hint, you at least get solo score.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Sadly, anyone who is ok with this behavior will not be moved by a plea.
    Ghosts of Rimor
    Gorastopr 220 MA Doctor :: No pew pew. Thwack thwack.
    Goratinkr TL5 OT Hurler Factotum Engineer :: Bringin' the thunder since 2008.
    Scrubup 100 Bow Doctor :: Will she ever get out of perk reset? Stay tuned!
    Ghosts of Atlantean
    Unda TL7 MA Engineer :: Crying for more crit.
    Measles LVL1 Pistol Doctor :: It takes 2 stims to self the Expertises.

Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    i might be a troll

Quote Originally Posted by Gorathon View Post
    Sadly, anyone who is ok with this behavior will not be moved by a plea.
    True, but maybe org leaders can put out a friendly reminder to their org. It only takes a single thought put into action to start a movement.
    You can find me at:

Try the hecks on the eastern brink in scheol, much less retards over there, and if you and pretty good place for ppl to learn how to play their profs since it's somewhat decent place to pull stuff and/or mezz.
    I do think the right solution is to avoid ppl that behave badly, in the run run you'll remember those and the problem solves itself, oh karma, my sweet karma
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Yeah, again, aware of the other spots.. but I really think the type of behavior I saw yesterday is just a symptom of a bigger problem and that was the point of my post...

If we want more people to play with and a decent community it would benefit everyone to be mindful of how we treat newer players (or those with less resources). This isn't just an Elysium issue. it has been happening in every area that isn't instanced and even OOC.

Not trying to make a mountain out of molehill but after being back for less than a week I felt some people needed a reminder. I'm not sure if the server merge changed the culture that I was used to seeing (always heard that RK2 was more 'carebear' compared to RK1) but the really effed up attitudes I'm seeing are a big turnoff to new and returning people.
    You can find me at:

This is more of a game mechanics issue than a player oriented one. Ely is a great place for 90-130ish, just from killing hecks. But after those levels there aren't any places that compare when you have a OST/NT in terms of xp per hour. The problem is also that hecks dont run from the ost. What also needs to change is how people progress through SL also. In order to do that the game needs to change, and people dont like change.

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    (always heard that RK2 was more 'carebear' compared to RK1)
    Lol, that's just a myth perpetuated by RK1ers who can't get over the fact that RK2 were better at making low level twinks than them. Things were equally bad in Ely on both dimensions as far as I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndracorvid View Post
    Lol, that's just a myth perpetuated by RK1ers who can't get over the fact that RK2 were better at making low level twinks than them. Things were equally bad in Ely on both dimensions as far as I could tell.
    if you repeat something loud enough and often enough it becomes true.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    if you repeat something loud enough and often enough it becomes true.
    Adam and Jamie would be proud !

I agree, you should have ganked that enfo to oblivion
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

So many tears
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

however.. as there is no RK1 and RK2 anymore.. who cares who the carebears were or weren't. WE ALL together now.
    Dr. Alexsey Tereskov, Major, Medical Services
    Omni-Tek Armed Forces, Urban Division

OT-AF Urban Division

Quote Originally Posted by Warwind View Post
    however.. as there is no RK1 and RK2 anymore.. who cares who the carebears were or weren't. WE ALL together now.
    You damn RK2er! ;P
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Theres missconceptions over RK2 from RK1s point of view and in the same fashion theres missconceptions over RK1 from RK2s point of view, suuuure the lowbie twinks were so much better, its bull and everyone knows it deep down just doesnt wanna realise it because hey my epeen is so big.

This thread has lost its point though, yeh people should be more helpfull to new players, they are like kids (hell they are probably kids) they are the future.... bladibla but sorta true.

I do try to every now and then help someone out and once ive helped and i have to go, i give them a little credit boost so they get just that little step further. There is actually not much wrong with giving some credits (1-15 mil) but teaching them how to fish is equally important. But if teaching takes to long they loose interrest aswell.
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Last week I came back to game after a 9 month break and joined an org called AO Recovery. This org's goal is to encourage players (new and old) to form teams and level/quest/etc together rather than use the kiting/ost method. The org itself doesn't condemn anyone's way of playing but is providing a safe haven for those that agree with the 'old school' method of leveling.

That being said, I was in a leveling team today in elysium and things were going great. We were mainly killing mobs around the Sunken House/P7 area. Everything was fine when all of a sudden an OST enforcer decided to intentionally train us with hecks. Giving anyone the benefit of the doubt.. let's say the first time was an accident. If so, the 2nd time he came through, just moments later, certainly was not. And those in the team that were not killed by his attempt were then trained by the NT that was with him. The end result was that the group got discouraged and ended up breaking up. A couple of us put in harassment petitions, but obviously those aren't responded to instantly.

After the 2nd training we could've just tried to find a diff spot. Unfortunately there was someone pulling hecks for an OST team in the other directions and the whole experience really discouraged the people in the group.

I'm not listing org names or anything like that because the point of this post isn't to name and shame anyone. I'm posting this as a reminder to everyone that there is more than 1 way to play the game and its possible for us to all play our own way without destroying the play experience of others (especially in this case).

Secondly, and more important, if we as players want the population of the game to grow, we need to be more welcoming to new players and not do things like train them and discourage their progress. Maybe you want to OST your alts, that's fine.. but don't begrudge someone new the opportunity to experience a traditional team via mean-spirited behavior.

Just my 2 cents, for what its worth.
    Lvling the old school way or not, it dosnt only happen around SH.
    I was in a kitehill team a few days ago where a kid decided it would be so much fun to train us and harras us.

Old school lvling or not, people like that, that pay for the game but spent their time ruining the enjoyment of other paying customers, needs to get punished severely. This this case we was atleast 3 people or so petitioning him, and judging by the reply of the GMs it was taken very serious. And i can only hope he will get a permban, as judging by his name, it was definately not the first time hes been acting like a clown, and seeing if not stopped it wont be the last.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast