Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My road from 0 to 1000000000

props on the project

And if you need a hand popping PB's let me know I've got a small stable of S10 toons (doc+keeper+soldier+MA)

Interesting experiment but you should have used a different profession than an MA. MA can get by without the need for weapons, but most every other profession can not.

Hence being the cheapest.

That was the prof I chose after coming back to game in 2007 for that very reason.

My first prof was an engineer failed miserably by level 27
    My second prof was an enforcer failed miserably by level 103 I think (still using a support beam of intolerance)

Main reason for choosing MA on restart?

DIDN'T NEED TO UPGRADE WEAPONS.

I think it's fair to say that that is a very good reason to choose MA as your first toon.

Quote Originally Posted by Armus View Post
    I did, my orgmates can verify it. This was only fun for me because I did it solo. If I had cheated even a little bit it would've instantly become pointless.
    And now it's a hell of a lot easier for you. I saw your soldier on follow earlier in s10! Thanks for the MoP though, I know my trader is a slow killer I was probably ruining your circuit, but you were too nice to kill the mobs I was tanking (unlike the other 7 MAs I saw from entrance to mid, they'd let me tank until they were ready to steal my mobs, then I couldn't OD them)

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    And now it's a hell of a lot easier for you. I saw your soldier on follow earlier in s10! Thanks for the MoP though, I know my trader is a slow killer I was probably ruining your circuit, but you were too nice to kill the mobs I was tanking (unlike the other 7 MAs I saw from entrance to mid, they'd let me tank until they were ready to steal my mobs, then I couldn't OD them)
    Yes, now that the "spell" is broken I can go all out.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Interesting experiment but you should have used a different profession than an MA. MA can get by without the need for weapons, but most every other profession can not.
    As McK already stated, I chose MA because you get a free weaponupgrade each level.
    No huge bumps as with other classes, but you can feel the difference for each level. So.. I find MA appealing for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    EDIT: on topic, however, ao early game needs to be severely reworked. the whole 1-100 experience needs a LOT of work.
    I don't think it needs that much work. Until level 100 there are multiple dungeons one can play in and that generally tends to be pretty fun. A bit more guidance and easier access to decent loot would be good though.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    If FC lowered the XP gain rate by 50 times, you'd get people actually playing the lower levels and even getting good at them (ie. well equipped etc.)
    Do you truely believe that people would stick around if they would have only 1/50th the levelspeed and that that would somehow make OST and such go away?
    Shhhsss. Careful. Behind all the colours, there are ears, ears who listen.

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    Pet profs (engi and mp at least) work very well too, at least for missions/dynas. No clue of S10. You just need couple alts for buffs unless you want to beg mochams every hour. That's how I started, and it still worked few years ago on my rk2 visit. Hiding behind door out of LoS while healing your droid is sort of fun

- - -

Having some sort of "at your level you can go level here and here and make money there and there" rough guide somehow easily (read: in-game) accessible for newbies would really help.

Or one time quests that take alot of time but reward with a nice amount of credits. Long time because then people wont do them just to make cash, but good cash so that a new player can do them to be rewarded for it and to start off with.
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

In the sequel to this thread I want to hear about Pat's road to Wrestlemania!

Quote Originally Posted by Solox View Post
    Since Pat is still alive, he must be Hulk Hogan instead of Andre the Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Solox View Post

You just dream of him "wrestling" with you
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Old maintainer and hoster of Helpbot, Xyphos, AO Minecraft Server, AO Devs
    Old dictator on Atlantean

Just a couple of observations.

The chances of a real noob "conveniently" choosing an MA as their first toon is low.

You very non-noobishly started farming creds as much as possible from the start. Most noobs care only for the leveling because they expect to get leveling gear as they progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanostratege View Post
    I don't think it needs that much work. Until level 100 there are multiple dungeons one can play in and that generally tends to be pretty fun. A bit more guidance and easier access to decent loot would be good though.

Do you truely believe that people would stick around if they would have only 1/50th the levelspeed and that that would somehow make OST and such go away?
    Most dungeons in AO need to be reworked. They need to be level locked and drop good loot for all professions.

And I am sure AO would have a much higher playerbase if leveling was slower but gear was made available through interesting gameplay.

Getting credits in AO has never been a problem! I'd racked up my first 100million by the time my first toon, my MP, was level 60.

Trouble nowadays seems to be that people aren't willing to put the time & effort into it & expect it right there & then.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    Trouble nowadays seems to be that people aren't willing to put the time & effort into it & expect it right there & then.
    For some this is true. I do see a lot of newcomers expecting the same kind of "instant gratification" that has become the norm in other MMOs.

But for some others, it's just because the game isn't populated with enough vets at lower levels for the newbs to get a chance to learn from them about how to become self-sufficient when it comes to credits. I see this as a problem.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndracorvid View Post
    For some this is true. I do see a lot of newcomers expecting the same kind of "instant gratification" that has become the norm in other MMOs.

But for some others, it's just because the game isn't populated with enough vets at lower levels for the newbs to get a chance to learn from them about how to become self-sufficient when it comes to credits. I see this as a problem.
    ...And yet *all* the information I used at the time is still available on the forums...People are just lazy now & prefer to whine instead it would seem.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Aiken View Post
    ...And yet *all* the information I used at the time is still available on the forums...People are just lazy now & prefer to whine instead it would seem.
    I'm sorry but I don't see much whining from newcomers on these forums. Most of them are too busy trying to figure it out from within the game, or are froob and therefore can't whine here anyway.

When was the last time you were in a lowbie leveling zone? I've met newcomers who didn't know these forums existed, let alone sites like Auno and AO-Universe. I myself was told about AO-Universe by a teammate in ToTW. I remember looking for info on this game when I started and, without being helped, the only really useful leads I stumbled across were the .PDF copy of the manual on the official site and the AODevs Wiki.

It's not like people don't make an attempt to do their homework, but sometimes for all your searching you are simply looking in the wrong place. A more experienced player can easily correct you... if only there were more of them to interact with while leveling, like there used to be. And no, "lol u can have a spot in this kite team when u pay 2 mil per lvl" doesn't count.

No1 seems to even be arguing what you are stating Ahndra, this thread just shows its possible, with the acknowlidgement that this information needs to get to the new players in one form or another. Others have even alreay mentioned it might come in the form of an ingame NPC advice or of some sorts

Froobs/New players indeed rarely whine on the forums, thats actually exactly the problem. If they would theyd possibly get helped faster than ingame. But exactly because they cant acces it easy they quit, before they can get the hang of this game. The distance between vet/new player is possibly the reason why they want instant gratification because they can already see what is possible. Whereas when we did this game first sure there was a select few with loot that was rarely seen. I remember when Burden was a rare sight, that made me eager to get it at some point but if everyone has it, then it seems like its easy to get which is not exactly the case.
    What im trying to say is being a new player now is different from being new to the game a few years ago.

Nevertheless however the only thing this thread seems to have meant was that it is possible to get good money, get it fast and it shows that with the right ingredients this game isnt half as hard as it might seem. The point also being made that new players would need to acces this kind of knowledge in one way or another
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Metafly7 View Post
    No1 seems to even be arguing what you are stating Ahndra, this thread just shows its possible, with the acknowlidgement that this information needs to get to the new players in one form or another.
    Yep. And if you look earlier in the thread you'll see I've already made an on-topic response.

My subsequent posts are a direct result of what Aiken said, and only in response to him/her. It was a minor point, but one I felt strongly enough about to want to correct.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast