Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 6 more years! 6 more years! The Anniversary Parody continues

So...never? The in-game year increases at the same rate as the real-life year, and has a 27k headstart.

Theoretically, If I had baby born in 2007, it would be now able to play AO with New engine. Or by the time it gets relelased, my grandchild could at least try it...

Great thread!
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

I'm a Bitter Vet.
    I'm an Older Vet, and had I had a child when it was announced he/she would have been old enough to play the game.

But neither me being bitter nor older has anything to do with the engine we're all still waiting for.

I'm still having fun ^^
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

Happy Anniversary! lol

To mark this special occassion, I quit the game again.

Only logging in a handful of times the last couple months, I guess I technically never really came back.
    Autohead 220/30/70 Solitus Soldier - Synergy Factor
    Auron 220/25 Keeper ::: Shadowslave 220/23 Shade ::: Radius 211/21 Nano-Technician
    Sunza 207/21 Martial Artist ::: Voss 182/15 Engineer ::: Shadowhead 150/16 Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunktion View Post
    Beautiful thread, maybe now the noobies can see why vets are so bitter
    newbies? what? where?

well that was wrong... I am not really bitter about the game. I'm bitter about the duck cloaca community. On seeing the "Simulations" what first popped up in my mind is that Troller pistol is not FCs fault it was the community - spearheaded by incompetent crats - who bitched on and on about it and FC just implemented it to shut them up more like a husband succumbing to the constant nagging of an annoying wife!
    Last edited by Aramsunat; Jul 1st, 2013 at 16:44:21.
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by Freqflyerdnt View Post
    I'm a Bitter Vet.
    I'm an Older Vet, and had I had a child when it was announced he/she would have been old enough to play the game.
    I'm somewhat bemused by those who would allow a six year old to play this game (or that a six year old would be that interested). I started playing this game with a newborn on my lap (something to do while baby nurses) and had another one 2.5 years later. Those girls are now 10 and 7. I wouldn't let either of them play it nor are they interested. They do like Minecraft, though. And that Starstable game Means runs.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I'm somewhat bemused by those who would allow a six year old to play this game (or that a six year old would be that interested). I started playing this game with a newborn on my lap (something to do while baby nurses) and had another one 2.5 years later. Those girls are now 10 and 7. I wouldn't let either of them play it nor are they interested. They do like Minecraft, though. And that Starstable game Means runs.
    Too much gore, sexuality, substance abuse and offensive language in AO eh?

(edit: Large Intestine Horror, troxes in tutus, burst of speed stims and a day on Quetz chat comes to mind. In that order)
    Last edited by Aramsunat; Jul 1st, 2013 at 20:11:18.

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by Aramsunat View Post
    Too much gore, sexuality, substance abuse and offensive language in AO eh?

edit: well I agree on the offensive language. try to troll OOC and you will see
    Honestly, its partly the community (its a bit grown up for a seven year old) and partly the twinking aspect. That really does make it a bit out of reach of most kids to actually play well. Its too much stuff to keep track of and a lot of math for a second grader or a fifth grader.

I play TSW fairly regularly with my older two kids, though. When the younger two started with the horses game, my oldest daughter rolled her eyes, made a face, and said she'll stick with shooting zombies because sparkles and ponies are ew.
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Honestly, its partly the community (its a bit grown up for a seven year old)
    I highly doubt that. Watch OOC for an hour and you will see

and partly the twinking aspect.
    Oh please. Roll a solitus doc, opi fixer, or opi/soli adv, grab a 220 OST, shoot all the way up to 220, right-click items bammm your kids can enjoy beating the crud outta RK mobs with an endgame toon.
    For 4 year olds I advise keeper or soldier. They do not even have to aim on the keyboard just smash it and eventually they will hit Q or fullauto

Devil Inside

I estimate the engine coming right about the time my kid start playing this game (he's 8 months old). Given he literally throws himself at my ipad when he sees it (not that he does lots of useful things on it), I'll estimate he'll start playing it around 4 years of age Awesome OP btw.
    ***Zacix***
    President
    of
    ***Underworld***
    Equipment

"It's widely believed that Jesus was Chuck Norris' stunt double for crucifixion due to the fact that it is impossible for nails to pierce Chuck Norris' skin."

Quote Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
    I estimate the engine coming right about the time my kid start playing this game (he's 8 months old). Given he literally throws himself at my ipad when he sees it (not that he does lots of useful things on it), I'll estimate he'll start playing it around 4 years of age Awesome OP btw.
    Buy this for your iPad, and he can start making games from an early age, and learn Lua at the same time

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

my Ex-step son was enthralled watching me play AO. Asking 500 questions a minute.
    And all he did was want to play(He was 8 at the time).

I let him play a couple of times sitting next to him. Running missions or something
    He loved it to bits, I eventually got him and his sister a WoW account, as it was a little easier for them to manage, and they never paid any attention to the chat or community.
    She loved getting clothes, he loved fishing and mining...
    Freqflyerdnt (Fix) - Codney (MP) - Fiddlybit (Crat) - Breaker117 (Enfo) - Spasticdent (NT) - Fiveof9 (Keeper) - Maleshai (Advy) - Tacitblue (Shade)

Squad Commander of Ab aeterno animus liberi

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy
    clearly, it's all because arbalest is clan-only. all the omnis pvpers went clan for arbalest and all the omni pvmers went clan for the 35% xp buff so now the ratio of clan to omni is 9:1 herp derp clan favouritism herp derp devs are clan.

Continuing along the line of "my kids will be old enough to play soon (TM)". One of my nephews watched me do some PvP several years back. He seemed to enjoy watching me play (he must have really enjoyed it, since the actual PvP was nothing to smile about). Last Christmas he asked me if I was playing any online games and I told him i was thinking about coming back to AO. He seemed surprised that it was still going and said he was going to check it out. When I saw him this weekend, he said he had tried it, laughed and moved on. I asked him if he even attempted to get in to the game and he said no, the sheer ugliness of it prevented him from it. I came from Matell's QB game, Atari 2600 and Zork, so I learned early on about immersion in the game over the shinies...oh well.

I'm somewhat bemused by those who would allow a six year old to play this game (or that a six year old would be that interested).
    I am surprised that either of my kids, my nephews, nieces and...yes, as of recently, a grandson...would like a lot of things I do. Amazing how much they idolize everything we do up until a certain age and want to be just like us.
    Liamboru 220 Engineer - Brianboru 220 Soldier - Padraigboru 150 Soldier - Tadghboru 60 Engineer - Cormacboru 15 Engineer
    ...and ofc, the army of buff hoes
    ------------------------------------
    PvPDood: Hey, come back and duel me again, I hardly ever get to fight a gimp like you! - Get a /tell like that and it sort of makes you want to evaluate what you thought was a twink!

Walker
    : Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy!
    Texas Ranger
    : I don't even know what that means, but I love it!

Lets not kid (huehue) ourselves here. Alot of the community started playing in their early teens, why would it be such a shock to have someone even younger play?
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Lets not kid (huehue) ourselves here. Alot of the community started playing in their early teens, why would it be such a shock to have someone even younger play?
    rubbish game etc

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    Buy this for your iPad, and he can start making games from an early age, and learn Lua at the same time
    Dont listen to Wakizaka, I bet his kid would understand Perl sooner than English

Devil Inside

Quote Originally Posted by Aramsunat View Post
    Dont listen to Wakizaka, I bet his kid would understand Perl sooner than English
    Not to break both your bubbles, but given I work as a software architect, specializing in .NET, he's probably gonna end up doing C#
    ***Zacix***
    President
    of
    ***Underworld***
    Equipment

"It's widely believed that Jesus was Chuck Norris' stunt double for crucifixion due to the fact that it is impossible for nails to pierce Chuck Norris' skin."

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Different choices of games available.

I started in my 30s anyway.

I honestly don't underestimate my kiddos. They're too busy surprising me with things they do, and I've even had my oldest play this one once or twice, but it didn't capture her imagination much. My son has asked to play it a few times but his father said no. He said yes to TSW because of the puzzles involved. *shrugs*
    Coordinator Anarrina

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

It would be a shock simply because this generation of youngins have seen such a surge in technology and games that the options, what they are use to, what they have been exposed to is so expansive that anything that requires them to pay attention and put some time and effort in to a game does not appease them. Also, I am sure graphics do play a role in their decision making because the 10+ year olds grew up with awesome graphics, whereas you and I have seen a lot of progression and have experienced the growth of graphics. I look back at Atari games and they were just bad graphically and for the most part just bad in general (Hi video game crash of the 1980s), but hey you had to use your imagination and had to use what you had to work with. Nowadays there is so much saturation that almost everything follows a model and to deviate means instant death, which is sad because there isn't much that is truly unique anymore.

Different choices of games available.

I started in my 30s anyway.

I honestly don't underestimate my kiddos. They're too busy surprising me with things they do, and I've even had my oldest play this one once or twice, but it didn't capture her imagination much. My son has asked to play it a few times but his father said no. He said yes to TSW because of the puzzles involved. *shrugs*
    Yet TSW has nudity? I'm not understanding this train of logic.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast