Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why I have Undying love for AO

I wonder if Foxfine still plays the game.

I had the pleasure of being in org with Fox and her partner (Purp) until they disappeared about 3-4 weeks ago.

They both seemed to have a passionate love of the game but seemed like they were hitting brick walls regarding progression around level 100 or so. To be honest, the whole thing was quite disheartening to watch and neither wanted anyone to just 'throw money at them' as it was their desire to be independent players.

I think the result of being 'stuck' was they stopped playing though I can't be sure (could've re-rolled or something could've happend in real life that took them from the game without word). What I saw while I was in org with them, however, was the biggest example of how bad the game experience is for new people (not just pre level 25 but a true new player experience as they level up their toon).

With the passion that they both expressed over AO, I hope they find/found their way.

I was wondering the same thing, Jill. There was the flurry of posts and I saw her ingame, then it all just stops.

Like I said in their project's thread though, the population just isn't anywhere near the level needed for them to play without high level assistance.

It's not like we've been saying this for god knows how many years.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

If FC just could fix the Pocket+AoE type of gameplay, it only caters to veterans and if veterans want a new toon they will level it either way. With or without pocketing.
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

I just got someone into AO during my 4th (or 5th, can't remember) return to the game. Those various walls you hit between hecklering/pocket team level grinds made him quit. AO's biggest problem is that you almost have to love it to keep playing it. I have played just about every MMO that has come out since AO launched, and I always come back to AO. I love it, so I play and endure the little annoyances like my wife deals with all my minor annoyances. It's always been this way. But....

Reading this whole thread and seeing someone go from "man I love this game" to disappearing...it's a sobering view of AO, and MMOs in general.

AO is not for everyone, and those various spots in the leveling curve are a serious barrier that other games just don't have. Like TL5 and the dead zone of 30 or so levels where all do is grind and your character never gets better beyond closing on TL6. Stuff like that drives people away, even the very enthusiastic folks like the OP of this thread.

Shame too, because the game has so much cool and awesome in it. You just have to look really hard to find it or remember it's there sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12