Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I have Undying love for AO

Why I have Undying love for AO

Good day!

I've spent a good chunk of time running around as a sl00b, so I wanted to post my "new player experience" (no relation to the system in da works).

I'm not usually an MMO kinda person in this vein. I've spent the majority of my life in other universes like DCUO, Champions, TSW, Entropia, Maple Story (wokka wokka), Get Amped!, Smite, and Lost Saga, among quite a few others. I usually like games with big, flashy lights and "fast" action.

Then I was bored with all of them, and sifted through MMOBomb.com's list of games. I saw this. Okay, it's Sci-fi.... I can dig it. I dl'd the game, logged in- Oh, black people (something SEVERELY lacking in most MMO's). Sweet!

That was enough to pull me in. What's keeping me is:
    1. First and foremost, the mission rollers. Love it. Absolutely GENIUS idea. Why don't more MMO's use this mess? Champions would benefit GREATLY from something like this. I know some people may not even do them, or may only use them for creds/items/xp- I just love doing them. They might always follow the same formulas, but I appreciate that they give you sliders to change it and a couple different ones to choose from. Love it- good senseless fun!

2. Keyboard+mouse. What?! I used to be a console gamers- up until a year ago when I got a good PC rig. Every game I have played, I've either been able to flat out use my 360 controller outright, or with Xpadder made it so. I even used Xpadder on this for a minute... but the way this game is, it's kinda overkill to use a controller. Click, sit back, relax. DOES NOT get any better than that- and usually I hate games like this. Here, though, it's so... so right.

3. The people. Normally, when in these games, Purple Haze and myself keep to ourselves. But we've actually talked to A BUNCH of people in this game. Deathstave (I will forever remember you- if that IS your name, lol!) hooked me up in the middle of nowhere with 10m cred when I first joined. Even Jutu hopped on to help me out with a clothing set last night- thank youuuu! I've never seen anything like that anywhere, except WoW (and I only played that game for a day- yawnfest. Oh, look, a little dwarf!)

4. The org we're apart of is sweet- Ao Recovery Project. Check it out! {http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=606324}. As stated above, usually Purple Haze and myself keep to ourselves, but we've been enjoying being in an Org- something we weren't expecting to do- especially so soon. Good fun being had by all- what's more to ask?

5 Da Dungeons. Grrrrreat idea! While some might abhor these type of instances, like the mission rollers, I absolutely love it. I hold onto my memories of the Subway like I do my first steps in the Mushroom Kingdom- and that's a BIG deal to me. You sit in one area for what feels like forever, then move a little further back as you get more powerful and more comfortable- and by then it's 4 in the morning, and you have no idea where the hell the time went. That's good gaming.

I just wanted to post this as I have been trying to figure out, for myself, what makes this game so sweet. And I guess it's the game, as a whole. I wish I was around earlier, but I wasn't lucky enough to know it existed (all those years+dollars spent on consoles makes me want to facepalm a baby).

That's what life has been like for me so far, on Rubi-Ka. It's been a crazy ride since I left Big Mama's "House on the Hill"... I ain't neva going back! I'd LOVE to hear some thoughts on what's kept Veterans playing over the years, as well as some new sl00bs (should any such exist) as to what brought them here! Be safe out there, ya'll- it's Anarchy!

Long and veiny of this post- this game is just so... so right.

-Fox Fine XoXo
    They play it safe, are quick to assassinate what they do not understand. They move in packs, ingesting more and more fear with every act of hate on one another. They feel most comfortable in groups; less guilt to swallow. They are us. This is what we have become- afraid to respect the individual. A single person or event or circumstance can move one to change, to love ourself- to evolve.
    -Ms E. Badu

I'm sure the devs love seeing posts like these.

Amidst all of the 'Give me this' and 'Take this away' and 'Let's change this aspect', it's nice to see someone take time out of their day to show love and appreciation for all the hard work FC has put into this game.

Glad to see people like you are still around
    If you need any assistance on your toons, please hit me up on Cheezystun.

All that being said, BRING BACK Legacy PvP System!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxFine View Post
    2. Keyboard+mouse. What?! I used to be a console gamers- up until a year ago when I got a good PC rig. Every game I have played, I've either been able to flat out use my 360 controller outright, or with Xpadder made it so. I even used Xpadder on this for a minute... but the way this game is, it's kinda overkill to use a controller. Click, sit back, relax. DOES NOT get any better than that- and usually I hate games like this. Here, though, it's so... so right.ike I do my first steps in the Mushroom Kingdom- and that's a BIG deal to me. You sit in one area for what feels like forever, then move a little further back as you get more powerful and more comfortable- and by then it's 4 in the morning, and you have no idea where the hell the time went. That's good gaming.
    PC Gamer Master Race
    Last edited by wonderland; Jun 28th, 2013 at 00:20:25.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

you lost me at "da".
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Honestly for me, its the grind. I love it, I can do the same conent over and over again, and still have 100 percent fun (unless its hollow island that can be removed) and the people aswell, you got the story tellers (dysfuntion) you got the random/ but awesome (Xira, srompu, pretty much everyone) you got the hardcores (armus/) always males me laugh, idk. I can try and say ima quit, buut I never will, til ao goes offline forever. Regardless of all the promises and ect, funcom has an amazing game in and out in their hands.

for me its AO community! There is no game like AO and the pplz in it! just reactivated last week with Fireks &Upkeepz! and no metter how many times we've said that we done with this game and we still keep coming back!
    Rimor
    Ticiclaw - Equip
    Usux - parked
    Coldtouch - curently leveling!
    Tichiclaw - offline
    Bondj - offline
    Atlantean
    Tigerslap - offline

I have an undying love of ao too but when my subscription ends I probably won't come back again until I see some significant changes in the game. What makes me want to quit playing after being a member since 2005 is...

1) Supple based combine being 1b per part
    2) The re-balance that never came
    3) No new content for the last 4 years except gauntlet (which isn't that great tbh since 80% of the community will never complete it/attempt it due to time limitations)
    4) Lootselling being the most viable option to get loot/cred
    5) Mass tower PvP being limited to 1 timezone
    6) Population.... is.... dying.... (because Funcom lied to their subscribers for too long/too many changes not happening in a timely manner)
    7) Still no fix for the dumb elysium grind (which ironically made me quit playing the first time)

This should be one of the busiest times of the year for AO (this and Halloween) but I have not seen much change in population count.
    Last edited by Emergenzee; Jun 27th, 2013 at 01:06:53.
    Emergenzee Level 220 'Trustworthy' Doctor
    Circle of Notum

Quote Originally Posted by Poko View Post
    Honestly for me, its the grind. I love it, I can do the same conent over and over again, and still have 100 percent fun (unless its hollow island that can be removed) and the people aswell, you got the story tellers (dysfuntion) you got the random/ but awesome (Xira, srompu, pretty much everyone) you got the hardcores (armus/) always males me laugh, idk. I can try and say ima quit, buut I never will, til ao goes offline forever. Regardless of all the promises and ect, funcom has an amazing game in and out in their hands.
    I do have some pretty awesome stories, and i havent even mentioned the one of me at the skatepark in my friends sisters mini-dress for a school project... so many more to tell
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunktion View Post
    I do have some pretty awesome stories, and i havent even mentioned the one of me at the skatepark in my friends sisters mini-dress for a school project... so many more to tell
    I have plenty of stories in ao.

Like that time back when city shops still existed my store ate about 400m in combine (now probably worth 1b) and I was told by a representative that I could never get back. (thanks FC)

Or how about that other time when the mail terminal ate two nippy john stilettos i was trying to C.O.D to some1 and they never paid for them so I lost another 300-400m because I never retrieved them from mail because I figured "oh its in the mailbox so its safe... right?"

My favorite story is the time some omni RK2 nerd stole a boc I won in a rollraid because the leader running the raid conveniently decided to just logoff after I told him I wanted to log my alt to loot it. (and to think I almost handed over two globe of clarity to another member of the same org to "infuse" them hah)
    Emergenzee Level 220 'Trustworthy' Doctor
    Circle of Notum

Tried a number of games over the years but nothing really comes as close to offering what I'm looking for in 1 game than AO. Until that changes I don't really have anywhere else to go.

That and the friends who still play who I don't get to see elsewhere.

Also, everything in the link in my signature.

I bitch and whine as much as the next bitterly cynical veteran on these forums, but out of a (perhaps misguided) desire to see AO fulfill the potential it has to be something unique in a market oversaturated with mediocre games. Would be the least it deserves after 12 years.

EDIT: ...Hmm. The name "Purple Haze" rings a bell, though I'm not sure where I've seen it before.
    Last edited by Ahndracorvid; Jun 27th, 2013 at 11:54:56.
    :E

Anarchy Online and it's community are really something special. Good to see that even in 2013, without the new engine or NPE AO can still make people fall in love with it!

When I return after months (maybe even years) of inactivity and I spend days catching up with people ingame. How they have been, what has happend, etc. You really feel like coming home. I don't think any other game will ever give me that same feeling.
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndracorvid View Post
    EDIT: ...Hmm. The name "Purple Haze" rings a bell, though I'm not sure where I've seen it before.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNtuyQkh7tE

It's weed.

Well, thank you for the many responses! I loved reading all of them (even RedWatr's half-attempt at being somewhat coherently clever). This game definitely has some honest fans.

Gotta say, I loved the Epic PC Gamer picture, too, posted by wonderland. Lol! Terrific!

I read a lot about the thing FC didn't come through with, and I took it to heart when I decided I would be subbing. Purp had to agree, too, which is not as easy as one may think. I can understand why people would be irked by the way FC handles their community- there's not really one clear voice (at least, I haven't seen/heard it), they drop snipets to things that aren't even halfway close to being available (or if they ever will see the light of society), and I can't tell you how bad it sucks to hear the stories about people losing things when a new shiney something was implemented without the THOUGHT and AWARENESS of your players pre-existing shiny somethings. That sucks...

But, I'm glad to see some people are able to stick around. Honestly, without you guys, I don't think I'd like this game... it's like a neighborhood- people know people. I've never had that in another MMO... nor did I really want it. But here, it's the polar opposite.

Also, yes, Purple Haze is a very popular strand of marijuana. However, it is VERY possible she may have seen us before- we've been in a lot of games together and a lot of people have said, "Didn't you two play so-and-so?". If it's not that, then it IS the former.

I definitely wouldn't mind hearing more- both good and bad (as long as we remain respectful to the other human beings around us). It's a real treat! Many thanks for the responses! Hope to see you guys in-game!

Peace&Light
    -Fox Fine XoXo
    Last edited by FoxFine; Jun 27th, 2013 at 21:53:27.
    They play it safe, are quick to assassinate what they do not understand. They move in packs, ingesting more and more fear with every act of hate on one another. They feel most comfortable in groups; less guilt to swallow. They are us. This is what we have become- afraid to respect the individual. A single person or event or circumstance can move one to change, to love ourself- to evolve.
    -Ms E. Badu

Good post FoxFine, glad to see someone takes the time to summ up their good positive impressions, instead of what mostly seem like tired bitter people not getting what they think theyre entitled to RIGHT NOW! while claiming theyre leaving the game, but still roam around the forum posting halfassed snotty comments. ^^

I like your positive view and i sincerely hope we will get even more people like you around. Because AO does have something truely unique to it, even tho things do take time to change if at all. While it does take a bit of time to get to learn the basic do's/dont's, it well worth it.

I think one of the main reasons why i keep on playing this game, and coming back to it if i decide to take a break. IS the fact that things do change very slowly, in a pace i very much like. Coming from WoW, SWToR, DDO and other such games i always hated the fact that you could be gone from it for a few months and all you worked on would be absolitely obsolete and useless.

+1 for AO!

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    It's weed.
    I'm aware, I was speaking in the context of seeing it as someone's name in a game somewhere before. Have some common sense, people.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Raelil View Post
    Good post FoxFine, glad to see someone takes the time to summ up their good positive impressions, instead of what mostly seem like tired bitter people not getting what they think theyre entitled to RIGHT NOW! while claiming theyre leaving the game, but still roam around the forum posting halfassed snotty comments. ^^

I like your positive view and i sincerely hope we will get even more people like you around. Because AO does have something truely unique to it, even tho things do take time to change if at all. While it does take a bit of time to get to learn the basic do's/dont's, it well worth it.
    Aww, but roaming on forums are so much fun ! You can look on all the new guys, and think, that was you 4 years ago! I was positive, I was eagerly waiting for something to happen, then you can look at the summary of what has actually happened http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=606416

Quote Originally Posted by Emergenzee View Post
    I have an undying love of ao too but when my subscription ends I probably won't come back again until I see some significant changes in the game. What makes me want to quit playing after being a member since 2005 is...

5) Mass tower PvP being limited to 1 timezone
    Do something about it, like clans had to when omnis held towers in hawaiian prime!

Quote Originally Posted by FoxFine View Post
    Also, yes, Purple Haze is a very popular strand of marijuana. However, it is VERY possible she may have seen us before- we've been in a lot of games together and a lot of people have said, "Didn't you two play so-and-so?". If it's not that, then it IS the former.
    "Strain" actually.

i didnt read whole message or let be honest; single word..all im gonna say; go visit your shrink..
    Imno "Ubermensch" Angel 220/30/70 MA
    Revengeof "Jiltedthief" thegankers 220/30/70 Agent with ultimate smacktalk skeelz Retired
    Obeywhat "Elmayra" says 220/24/70 Doc with 275k+ Alien kills
    [Tnet] Manicmouse: bring back the I WIN button, cos omni really need help
    Reading doesnt change who you are but what you will do
    IM GRAMMATICALLY AWESOME

Quote Originally Posted by BeyondHuman View Post
    i didnt read whole message or let be honest; single word..all im gonna say; go visit your shrink..
    Single word.. Go visit your english tutor
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast