Thread: Alternative to self-only buffs and level reqs

Lightbulb Alternative to self-only buffs and level reqs

The whole shift towards level reqs on buffs and items, and now more and more self-only buffs, is not the way to go IMHO. Since beta 4, AO has been almost 100% skill based. I suggest you, Funcom, follow that road.

Instead of level reqs and self-only buffs, make target skill reqs. This could mean a major job on the item database I know, but it would be fair and "logical" to the game and us, the players.

Most nanos have a "primary" dependent skill, some two. Why not make a target skill checking system? Simple algebra should do the trick. Or how about making it somehow dependent of the Tutoring skill?

(Also sent by e-mail to Funcom)

Comments are welcome.
    $
    ::. Anarchin, OT Fixer, Legion .::

Quote Originally Posted by Lynyah
    The difference is that you dont need a brain to camp things

What if they dont use that particular skill though?

My MA doesnt raise MM or MC, so would that make it so that I cant get RRFE or some buff that uses MM?

PS, I see where you're heading but the exact idea needs some refining
    Suupaslap Master 10th Dan--Rk2
    Smugglerguy Ickle baby fixer--Rk2

(ALMOST) Anyting is better than lvl reqs!
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Nice idea.

the fixer NCU buff is target reqs.

shouldn't be to hard to make it that with a few others. but in general... I dont see the point with level reqs for buffs? True, some of them might be useful, so not to twink lower levels, but then again... if a highlevel player takes the time to spend with a low level char, that counts a lot for the RP aspects, to help train your lower level guild members.

I know that this can also be done to twink others, so they owe in PvP.

But I still wish that FC removed some of the level reqs on items... Getting the Nanoskills high enough is hard as it is, and even if you by some freak reason get the skills to cast a level req nano before you are that level, it stops you from casting it
    General Thoram of the Twin Sun Syndicate

While I'm only mildly annoyed with the level reqs on items being slightly higher than I think they should be, I am *highly* annoyed at the growing number of self only buffs.

I enjoy the skill based aspect of the game and made an Atrox Engineer to be a bit different. I realize that at higher levels he will be *gimped* in certain areas due to skill caps in intelligence affecting his nano abilities. I understand that certain weapons should be wielded better by certain classes, but this is still viable by those skills being green to some and dark blue to others. I want my Engineer to be able to get a 2hb buff from an Enforcer in order to use a beam (actually I'd love to find a big frikkin 2hb crescent wrench ). Or maybe even some sort of 1he or 2he weapon. Since Slayerdroid Transference adds 300 to MA, wielding a pistol is kinda stupid in my opinion since either going MA or using some type of MA based weapon is obviously the better choice in that circumstance.

The point is, self only buffs and too many class/breed only weapons takes away from a skill based system where people can be different and moves towards cookie cutter characters. If this happens you may as well just take away choices and have pet classes required to be nano-breed pistol wielders, Agents/MAs/Fixers required to be Opifex with weapons in each of their specialties class specific, etc., etc.

In a nutshell, why fool around and be half-assed about it? I either have choices or I don't. Don't make any choice other than the cookie cutter image a waste of time and effort and just plain stupid to do. That's like slapping me in the face and asking me to like it.
    Slyykie - 200+ Shade
    Slyyk - 200+ Fixer

Members of Alphastrike
    ------------------------------------------------
    Sarcasm rules! Go prance around in the forest you silly pixie.