Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: curious about duel ethics

curious about duel ethics

I dueled a 220 ranged adv earlier today in Bor. he asked for the duel, and I was taking all duels at the time, I'm super rusty right now, and not concerned for losses as long as it's a good, fair fight) I dueled him with my 220 adv, I was unmorphed, no xan buffs, no towers, and I'm melee. nothing was mentioned about any time limit, or need to hurry...so we start the duel, the first 4 or 5 minutes were fun, typical adv duel, saw no reason to worry...within a few minutes of that, the guy starts asking for a draw...now personally, i start duels to finish them, unless they go a retarded amount of time, other than that, if you want to stop dueling, there is the /duel stop (end?) option. my response was "you either fight or end the duel", instead of this, he starts running around the buildings, I'm following, i ccl if he kites, I didn't think anything much of it...then he root grafts me (i didn't cast my resist buffs since, well...it was an adv duel) I was rooted, used FM to break it, then he rooted me again, only this time I realized what he did, he rooted me just outside the duel range, and my FM's were in recharge, I'm sure you get what happened next, I lost the duel since i couldn't get back inside the zone in time.

his excuse was that he had to go to work. *I should mention that he stood around for about 15 minutes after, chatting with people.

my question is, is this something that's acceptable now? does it happen often? because if this is some new thing people do, it will change my approach to how I do things.

thanks for your time.
    Last edited by RedWatr; May 14th, 2013 at 18:54:19.
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Giit 200/30 NM NT(THE most dangerous, and bitchy thing I ever created)
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    Eightup 158/21 Opi Fix (perfect, maxed twink, definitive "FUN")
    Xerrrox 17X Opi Fix (GA4 fr00b...buff prostitute...reason to log in)
    Enjey 60/6 NM Eng (high maintenance OP'ness)
    Nanimated New NM Agent (no patience for it...sigh)
    Somethiing 200 Atrox Sold (potential x1k...not nearly enough "give a f*ck")
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

I got challenged by a trader on my 150 doc 2 weeks ago, i accepted challenge, only to have the trader hide and not do anything, then when I refused to draw, threaten to petition me and whatnot... I just kept pressing the 'search' button, after 20 times, he appeared and I killed him
    Its annoying that a function like 'draw' exists.
    If you wanna try stuff out on eachother, there's arena or flags, if you wanna duel, you finish it, or you end it and get the loss yourself... its retarded

i miss back when you had to get a flag to duel and people would gank the winner
    Emergenzee Level 220 'Trustworthy' Doctor
    Circle of Notum

I use /duel draw for a couple things.
    1) If one of us hopelessly screwed up, like forgetting to put a gun on.
    2) If my opponent is hopelessly outclassed.
    3) If we're just trying something out. It's much more convenient than arenas or flags, in several ways.

sounds like he won by outsmarting you, and played by the rules given by funcom

nice to see there are some fun pvp mechanics left ingame, most are taken out

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    sounds like he won by outsmarting you, and played by the rules given by funcom

nice to see there are some fun pvp mechanics left ingame, most are taken out
    Running someone out of the dueling zone, then rooting them to win a duel.

"Fun"?????????????

To someone who PvPs with the fun being in killing the other player, how, in any way, is that fun?

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    my question is, is this something that's acceptable now? does it happen often? because if this is some new thing people do, it will change my approach to how I do things..
    No, that's as lame as pathetic as poop. While it would have been courteous for you to /duel draw, he did get into a duel when he, apparently had to leave for work in under that time? I mean, if I had to leave in under 10m I wouldn't be running around trying to duel. But that's just me. I most likely wouldn't get into a duel if I even thought a duel could possibly conflict with responsibilities.
    Last edited by wonderland; May 15th, 2013 at 02:03:37.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

You obviously should have went tree morph to avoid the roots.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    You obviously should have went tree morph to avoid the roots.
    lol, I knew I messed up somewhere!
    T O O N Z:
    Renamed (jeycihn) 220/30(so sexy, so Borealis...I miss it the most...still melee <3 thnx for all your help Scum!
    Sixunder 158/21 NM Tra (158+SMG=Atomic bomb? Feather pillow? meh, depends on what mood she's in oO)
    P A R A D I S E ~&~ P A R A S I T E ~&~ B R O K E N ~&~ CCI ~&~ NOTHING PERSONAL

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    Running someone out of the dueling zone, then rooting them to win a duel.

"Fun"?????????????

To someone who PvPs with the fun being in killing the other player, how, in any way, is that fun?

No, that's as lame as pathetic as poop. While it would have been courteous for you to /duel draw, he did get into a duel when he, apparently had to leave for work in under that time? I mean, if I had to leave in under 10m I wouldn't be running around trying to duel. But that's just me. I most likely wouldn't get into a duel if I even thought a duel could possibly conflict with responsibilities.

I agree with all this, and yeah, I probably should have let the /draw happen, but to me, it just weakens the integrity of the duel system to draw for any other reason than the obvious, as Srompu mentioned there are legit reasons to have the draw mechanic.

good to know this isn't a new accepted "tactic" tho lol. seems to be a misuse of the system imo....however I would have given him 2 points for creativity if he hadn't started calling me names.

there's also a possibility I'm being a bit too anal (lol) about the whole thing, since it was my first day back in any game for most of the year. you kindof forget how MMO people are, when you only play irl daily ^^
    Last edited by RedWatr; May 15th, 2013 at 05:03:02.
    T O O N Z:

Meh, these kinds of people have always existed. Same kind who only ask for duels with opponents who they think they stand a good chance of beating, and decline duels from opponents they think will beat them. Duel ratios are such a bullsh!t way of judging competence because these kinds of people will simply skew their own.

Thankfully the players who are good are generally known for being so regardless of ratios. I can't remember who it was that said this, but elsewhere on the forums someone said something like, "The people looking for an ego/epeen boost only fight easy opponents for duel wins. Real PvPers are willing to fight difficult opponents in order to get better." I think that's quite true to be honest.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndracorvid View Post
    Meh, these kinds of people have always existed. Same kind who only ask for duels with opponents who they think they stand a good chance of beating, and decline duels from opponents they think will beat them. Duel ratios are such a bullsh!t way of judging competence because these kinds of people will simply skew their own.

Thankfully the players who are good are generally known for being so regardless of ratios. I can't remember who it was that said this, but elsewhere on the forums someone said something like, "The people looking for an ego/epeen boost only fight easy opponents for duel wins. Real PvPers are willing to fight difficult opponents in order to get better." I think that's quite true to be honest.
    Pretty much all of this.

When my Doc was 150 and just started farming his VP in BS, I'd get about 3 duel requests everytime the round ended, surprisingly from L200 people with 4k+ Solo kills.

Yeah, that'd be a real balanced fight.

As for your OP Giit, there has always been some form of unwritten rules of conduct when it comes to duels. Rooting is one of them, even if your prof requires it, you just don't use them.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahndracorvid View Post
    I watched the other day as a 150 challenged a ~120 to a duel (clearly a leveling toon), and the 120 said "cool, let me log a 150" to which the 150 replied "ok, let me log my 170 then", to which the 120 said noty, to which I replied "brb midget". No duels took place though

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Trolling at its best. dohohoh.

U mad cuz u bad lol.
    Fixer - Solja Lite
    Adv - Forgotten lubchild
    Trader - Nerfed Professional

you seem quite annoyed by the sudden twist m8

Duel losses needs to be hidden or removed, problem will solve itself if there's nothing to hug on to.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanillashake View Post
    Duel losses needs to be hidden or removed, problem will solve itself if there's nothing to hug on to.
    Yeah that worked with the old titles too right?
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Just hide all pvp score away from other players and add new command that would dump your pvp score into the chat if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Yeah that worked with the old titles too right?
    If by that you mean they removed the possibility of losing titles and made it a gradual gain, then yes, it did. Drastically. The current system is far less of an influence to not PvP at all at the fear of dying. Did you play legacy title era? Duel ratio hugging is the exact same; yet nobody really cares about dying in a battlestation or random PvP in Borealis (other than res sickness and rebuffing). Put two and two together.

Source: Borealis and battlestations.
    Last edited by Vanillashake; May 16th, 2013 at 01:30:41.

If by that you mean they removed the possibility of losing titles and made it a gradual gain, then yes, it did. Drastically. The current system is far less of an influence to not PvP at all at the fear of dying. Did you play legacy title era? Duel ratio hugging is the exact same; yet nobody really cares about dying in a battlestation or random PvP in Borealis (other than res sickness and rebuffing). Put two and two together.

Source: Borealis and battlestations.
    (You like this post.)
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast