Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pathfinders saga

2nd Pathfinders Detachment

***************confidential******************

Nadab, as requested, a reconoiter of the 4 Holes Mining Facility was completed. If you need further information, or wish to discuss further services, do not hesitate to contact me.

(Stop in and see me about your new duties. Pass the word to your "Affiliates", that if they like the Pathfinders services, we are available.)

Overview and history:
    The 4 Holes mining facility was originally erected by Omni-Mining soon after colonization of RK. The easy access to a particularly notum-rich vein is possible thru an ancient Meteor strike, somewhere in the dark past. Mining is concentrated in this crater.
    Approx 1.5 yrs ago, during a Clan uprising, control was lost to the Clans. To date OTAF has not made significant efforts to retake the site.

Physical aspects:
    The mining site is a self-contained community, allowing workers and security staff to live on-site. Housing, shops and a multi-story building, presumably the HQ, are located in the SE corner of the crater.
    There are 3 entrances to the mines themselves.
    790x1745 is on the SW, but appears to be currently unused.
    There are 2 entrances on the North side of the crater, 830x1866, and 908x1882. With the second being used as a primary source. The first will be discussed later in the report.

Site access:
    There are 2 main roads into the facility, from the West and South. Both are elevated, ramping down into the facility, and are exposed to most of the facility. In other words, very defendable, and NOT recommended for use.

Defensive capabilities onsite:
    The Defending forces currently used consist of approx 18-20 guards, led by a "Foreman"(908x1713). Guards are scattered around the site, but generally are posted at or near the Smelter (967x1810), and approaches leading to the smelting operation. Several civilian technicians are also in the area, but wouldnt effect a raid force. Also seen onsite is an "Unionist Agitater", which appears to be the Clan version of a "Political Officer"(9839x1768). There were no Weapons Turrets or Mechs seen operating in the area.

Strategic Targets:
    The primary Target of the mining operation would be the Smelting operation. This is the sole reason of the facility. In order to successfully attack the smelter, it will be necessary to eliminate the defending forces. Priority targets of this goal would be the Foreman and the Agitater. With the these two out of the way, the defending troops will be leaderless and disheartened.

There is an unknown type machinery, (836x1868), on the North side of the crater. I made a hands-on scout of this machine, never having seen its like before. This piece of equipment IS A HOLOGRAM. It does NOT exsist, and is potentially a trap for attacking forces. The mine entrance is also fake. I was not able to discern any reason for this to be here.

The smelting operation itself is quite simple. A conveyer belt brings materials from the mine entrance, to a compactor. From there another conveyer drops the materials into the smelter itself. Collector tubes take the material to a refining process and from there to an underground facility to be put in containers.

Recommendations:
    Primary Target - Smelting Process
    Option #1- Long term disabling
    Charges placed at the compacter/smelter/refining process machinery will disable the site for upwards of 3-4 months. I base this on the fact that the Clans do not have ready access to replacement machinery, forcing them to order from off-world. Two charges placed on each piece should be sufficient.
    Option #2 - Short term disabling
    Charges placed on the conveyer belts/collector tubes would stop production without destroying assets that may one day be needed by Omni-Mining. Also recommended is placing a charge at the base of the tower holding the Buckets coming from the mine itself.

Secondary Targets:
    Target #1: The Clans have set up a Storage Facility at 988x1864, in the NE corner. This is not readily visible, and is guarded by a single sentry and surrounded by a chain-link fence. Finished Product is stored here, pending transport. One charge should be sufficient to start a chain-reaction.
    Target #2: The unused mine entrance at the SW of the facility should be considered for a strike. While unused, the annoyance factor of its destruction makes it a worthwhile secondary target.
    Target #3: The presence of the hologram is noteworthy. Time constraints permitting, the investigation of this could prove worthy.

Raid Venue/Approach:
    The Roadways are definatly NOT recommended for use in the attack. Suggested approach would be either a fast repel from the crater edge or airborne assault from the south. With the Foreman as initiall target.

Force recommendations:
    One Heavy DD team would be the minimum recommended force used to strike this facility. Two teams would allow better force balance, and 3 or 4 teams would allow multiple targets struck simutanously. While the average sentry posted here is not very well trained/expirienced, they are well known for their toughness and persistance.

Submitted by:
    Chief Warrant Officer Gunfytr
    2nd Pathfinders Det.

*Pathfinders: When u absolutely HAVE to have something blown up overnight!*
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

"Wait for it..."

Gunfytr lays quietly above the craters rim, watching the Foreman makes his rounds. Near him, already roped in, were Melphina and Fificaliber. All were loaded down with thermo-charges. They peer towards the far side of the crater.

"There they go," Fifi said with satisfaction, "right on time". Mel comments quietly, "Damn, guys, get some!"

They watch as tiny figures begin a combat-repel down the side of the crater, bristling with weapons. In a moment, sounds of combat drift up to them.

Still staring through his scope, Gun murmurs, "Ok. Thats the Foreman.....Guard force is commiting.....the Agitater sees them....." He looks up at his small team, "Thats us, lets do this. Quiet-quiet."

All 3 begin sliding down ropes, into the crater, head first. They were making ingress into the crater near the storage facility. Just before reaching the ground, Gun realizes that the guard on duty here had not joined the combat, as expected. Amazingly, he had maintained his post, but was staring off into the distance, trying to see the combat taking place a few hundred meters away. Stopping his descent, he motioned to Fifi, murmuring "Hushpuppy", on his comms. She nods, and unlimbers her hawk MK5. Screwing a suppressor on the muzzle, she lowers herself until she was a few meters from the oblivious guard. Aiming, she empties the weapon into the unsuspecting Unionist, smashing him into the ground. Finishing the descent, all three arm thier weapons, Fifi putting away the MK5, and using her more effective Shark. They slink into the shadows as the sounds of combat roll around the crater.

Melphina lobs 2 of the thermo charges into the storage facility. She smirks, "No forced entry into the storage area. The fools wont even check it before these blow."

Carefully scaling the short plateau, all three keep an eye out for any of the technicians that have been seen working the site. But, thankfully, all seem to have found better places to be, than in the middle of a firefight. Reaching the top, Gun sticks a small periscope over the edge, but all is clear. The troops stationed here had been recalled to aid in the defense. Vaulting over the edge, the Pathfinders hurry to the chosen locations, placing the thermo-charges in the agreed-upon spots. Gunfytr can hear Melphina grumbling as she sets her charges.

"We could clean this whole rock off, Boss, wats up with that?"

"We have already covered that. This is a punative raid...we dont need to tick off Omni-Mining by blowing up several million creds in equipment. Just enough to slow the Clans down for a month or two."

Finally, they are finished. Gun keys his comm.

< Nadab, we are green, I say again, we are green >
    < Copy that Gunnie! Just about done here. >

Gun peeks over the edge of the smelter, watching the OTAF force clean up the last of the defending force. He spys a familier figure, lying broken on the craters floor.

< Is that who I think it is? >
    < Yup, PBF made a very brief appearance >
    < *laughter* Im clear, we are out of here >
    < See you at the rally >

*gridding*

Gunfytr pops out the Grid terminal next to the facility. Several dozen Unionist reinforcements mill around in various part of the mine area. They stare in shock at his appearence. Gun bows with a flourish, and holds up an object to show them. The closest can see it is a remote detonator, and as they begin to scream warnings, Gun pushes the button. As the sounds of destruction peal from the smelter and storage area, Gun cups a hand to his ear, eyes closed in satisfaction. He then offers the shattered Defenders a parting wave, and re-enters the grid.

Gunfytr lay on his back, staring into the beautiful, suns lit sky. He watches pieces of stone swirl randomly above him. He knows the sound of the wind up here is frightful, but a strange ringing in his ears prevents him from hearing it. As he muddles that thought in his mind, he notices hes moving, being drug along the ground. As his sluggish mind works on that fact, he sees a crack in the visor of his helmet. He groggily wonders what could have cracked the "unbreakable" material. Gradually, sounds begin to filter in.

< Pull back!! >
    < B Team! You're gonna get cut off! Watch it! >
    < These are Un-Redeemed! WTF?? >
    < Hang onto the Chief, we gotta get to high ground! >
    < Move move move! >

Slowly coming out of his daze, Gun struggles to sit up. The side of his head throbs. Max kneels in front of him.

< Boss, you still with us? >
    < Im functioning. Whats our status? >
    < Still a fighting withdrawal, you remember what happened to you? >
    < No, my heads sure hurts though. >
    < You tried to make contact with that Un-Redeemed Berserker, and he tried to take your head home with him. >

With Max's help, Gun is able to stand. Shaking off the cobwebs, hes sees his Teams in a desparate struggle. He watches as Narnon goes nose to nose with a tall, pink Redeemed, trading sword strikes too fast for the eye to follow. He watches as B Team, backing slowly, pours firepower into an advancing hoard of Redeemed and Un-Redeemed creatures. All around his teammates were fighting for thier lives. All is madness around him. Gun reloads his Shark, and adds his firepower to the effort.

< A Lead to Chief >
    < Go ahead Beer >
    < Theres nothing behind us. We're boxed in. >
    < Copy. Consolidate here. >

Suddenly, the crazed creatures break contact, and back away. The Teams use this momentary respite to gather in a small box canyon.

< Regroup! Check ammo and do what repairs you can. They'll be back any time >
    < Chief, these guys are supposed to be friends, WTH? >
    < I have no freakin idea, keep it together. >

Suddenly, the Teams feel a thumping through the ground. It almost feels like footsteps, but whatever was big enough to do THAT.....
    A huge creature comes into view, surrounded by lesser Redeemed and Un-Redeemed. It looked a little like a Notum Scourge, but much much bigger. It stops as it catches sight of the trapped troops. It eyes them a moment, and, spreading its multiple arms, roars.
    Gun hears awed murmurs behind him.

< Oh my god >
    < Thats a Zodiac. >
    < I thought they were a myth? >
    < We are sooo toast. >

Gun slowly turns. He looks at his people. They all stare back at him. The teams were trapped, and they knew it. He looks at his Team Leaders, asking a question with a raised eyebrow. They all give him grim nods. He glances at Drcamyle, the latest addition to the teams, and gives her a wink. She replies with a shaky grin. He sees Siosion, hovering protectively around her. Gun lifts his head, and addresses his troops.

< When all is lost, theres always.....style. >
    < Thirty seconds >

Erikose saunters to the front of the pack, and roars back at the zodiac. The Teams follow suit, and the Canyon rings with warcrys. Team members load thier weapons, pumping themselves up. Gun moves to the entrance of the canyon.

< Pathfinders! On me! >
    < GO!!! >

The howling mob breaks out of the canyon, charging the Zodiac and his minions. The Zod sees them coming, and opens his arms welcoming, howling with a noise like thunder.

Pandemonium? Got that right, baby!!
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr sits at his desk, a frown etched onto his face. He stares unblinking out the window of his office. Suddenly, he leans forward and hits a button on his desk.

< Yeah Boss? >
    < Send Law in here, please. >
    < Um...Lawdog, Boss? >
    < Just do it. >
    < Yessir! >

Shaking his head, he sighs. Lawdog80 was his most senior, most expirienced Scout/Adventurer. Despite all his skills and value, he could be a little...difficult to manage. The only way to handle him was to keep him busy. A bored Advy was truly a dangerous thing. Well, the problem facing the Team now "should" keep him occupied for a bit.

He glanced up at a knock at his door, and Lawdog stepped into the office. Tall, lanky, with shoulder length black hair, he was not what you would call a Military poster child. The Chief motioned for him to sit.

'Whats up, Boss?'
    'Law, you heard about Narnon and Silver gettin smacked around up in Milky Way, right?'
    'I heard 'bout that. Whats the story?'
    'I had them checking reports of Dust brigade troops in the area there. Well, it was confirmed. And we still have NO idea what they are up to.'
    'And you want me to do a little 'sneak and peek'?'
    "Correct. I dont want to show too much attention there. But I want to know what they are doing. We have been getting rumors, and they concern me.'
    Law nods, 'Rumor has it that they may have found a way into the "Outlands".
    'Right, those caves in Milky way are reported to be pretty deep. And we have no idea where they come out. If they have a tunnel goin to outside the Barrier.....'
    "Can do, Boss.'
    'Make it so.'

Gun watches him as Law leaves the office.

'And get a haircut!'

Gun gets no answer, not that he expected one. He sighs again, glancing around his desk. He had a visitor coming soon. Possibly a prospective client, but quite possibly something else...
    Because we said so.

*buzz*

< Your appointment is here, Chief >

Gunfytr glances around his desk, making sure it held no important paperwork.

< Send them in >

Gun stands, and smiling, meets a small solitus female at the door to his office. He motions her to a seat on the sofa facing his desk. Sitting on the edge of his desk, he studies her. Small, long dark hair, what used to be known as 'Terran Oriental'. Bright grey eyes stare back, studying him.

'So, Ms "Smith", what can the Pathfinders do for you?'

'Actually, Chief Warrant, I'm not here to contract your services.'

Gun slowly walks behind his desk, and sits, never taking his eyes off of her.

'I had a feeling that might be the case. So..?'

'My name is Aerya. I represent Omni-Reform.'

Gun has a sudden sinking sensation, and involuntarily glances at the weapons rack mounted on the wall of his office.

Aerya follows his glance, and allows herself a small smile.

'No, Chief, this is not an attempt on your life. This is....something else.'

Gun relaxes, allowing the building battle fury to fade from his eyes.

'OK, then what is it?'

'I have been asked...asked, mind you, not ordered.....to meet with you and propose...not an alliance, but a seccession of hostilities. The feud between our organisations is counter productive. Neither of us could afford the bad PR coming from a full blown war, and the constant sniping back and forth is distracting both groups from what they SHOULD be doing. I am not a regular Reform employee, but sometimes I'm asked to represent Omni-Reform interests. This meeting discharges a debt I had acquired some time ago.'

Gun leans forward, resting his arms on the desk.

' Alright, I agree with that assessment. The Authority you carry is enough to assure this? Not that I dont 'trust' Reform, but you understand...'

'I admit that there was a fair amount of resistance to this idea. There were those in my Organisation that feel the Pathfinders are an annoying bug that needs to be squashed. but they have been...convinced, that this is not beneficial to the greater good of Omni...at this time.'

'OK. Ill make sure there are no official, or un-official moves against Reform interests, originating from my people.'

Aerya smiles at Gun.

"Very good. We were not sure that you would be amiable to this. But you are a 'Business' manager, as well as a warrior. I have also been authorized to share Intelligence with you. That is, back and forth, of course.'

Simutaniously, they ask, "What do you know about Milky Way?"

They both smile, and Gun laughs, "This is gonna be interesting..."
    Because we said so.

<Hey Boss?>
    <Yes?>
    <Got that update on Var.>
    <OK, thank you.>

Gun punchs the info up on his comp, grins.

He glances at the Team Leaders scattered around his office. In the past months, the size of his detachment has almost doubled, with 6 Operational Teams plus support troops.

'Anyone have anything else?' At the headshakes he recieved, he nods, 'OK, you have your orders.'

Beersoldier hangs behind, catching his eye. Beer had been promoted to Master Sargent, and was acting as Gun's XO. He nodded at the comp, 'Anything I need to know about?'

Gun shakes his head, 'Not this time, Sarge. This one is ALL me.'

Beer silently closes the door and sits across from Gun. "How long we known each other, Boss?'

Gun laughs, 'Longer than I want to admit to.'

'And how many times have we covered each others butt?'

'Ok, ok', Gun holds his hands up in surrender, 'But you're not gonna like this. This is so "Black" you're gonna need a flashlight to find your..... Anyway, you ever heard of a planet named Var?'

Beer frowns, thinking. 'Sure, its out by...' He stops, his eyes growing wide.

'Ah ha, the light dawns.'

'Just what are you thinking about?'

'Well,' Gun shrugs, 'You KNEW him, right? You heard what happened to him?'

'Yeah, and I still think is was a bad deal. Bolt was a good guy.'

'Well, I'm "keeping an eye" on the situation there. I'm gonna try to get a message to him, discussing...."options". I think a few of our older teams taking a vacation off planet would be approved.'

'Wow. Just wow. This is one of your wilder plans. What do you think the Home Office will think? You know you're lucky to still be in Command here. The way the Detachment has grown calls for at least a Captain in charge.'

'Yeah, well, dont tell anyone, but I got a message that they wanted to 'brevet' me to Captain. I told them I wasnt ready to retire. I think they will leave me here. As long as we remain effective. Since you demanded to be involved in this, you can make yourself useful and start working on a 2 team roster for an short "vacation".

Shaking his head, Beer walks out.

Gun leans back in his chair, once more reading the News headlines from Var. He laughs outloud, 'You can take the boy out of Anarchy, but you cant take the Anarchy out of the boy.'
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr stared in horror at the message on his comp.

'Oh, gods. This is gonna gank our Faction Status.'

He hits his intercom button, 'Whos got the React Teams tonight?'

<Umm...Gemmylou and Congbursted, Boss.>

<Get them in here, now.>

Switching channels, Gun pings Erikose, 'I needs you Erik, my office, ASAP.' He send Beersoldier the same message.

In moments, the 3 TLs and Beer are seated in Guns office. 'Ok, I want all 3 teams up, there may be a 'Hostile Takeover' attempt on RUR tonight. We've been expecting this, and it looks like it might happen....sorta.'

Erik stares, 'Sorta? Who is it gonna be?'

'Well, my information says that RUR may be taken over by....RUR.'

'Huh?', Wot?', 'Wait a sec, Boss'. Gun holds his hands up, 'Yeah, I know....It looks like the Board of Directors may move against the Yuttos.' He looks at the suddenly pale faces across from him. 'I dont WANT to get involved, but we may HAVE to. This is gonna fall under our duties to FC...And, yes, its under the "Stabilization of Trade" Section. This is a lose/lose situation for us. We can only hope they can work out an agreement. Its something over the ingrediants in their energy drinks. All I know is that we may have to go against Ergo and his "people", such as they are...and I really dont want that. But we WILL do what we have to, to uphold our contract. I want your teams suited and ready to go if anything pops. We will be waiting on a "go" signal from Omni-Pol. They have people monitoring this much closer. We will have the other Teams on a 10 min standby if needed, but this looks like its gonna be a long night for all of us. And yes, I will be coming with your teams, Beer will handle the follow-on force.

Gun stands up, 'Lets do this people. This may just be a sleepless night, but I want to be prepared. Make it happen'
    Because we said so.

The suns breaking over the horizon made Gun squint as he paced the parapits atop the wall surrounding the Pathfinder compound. Facing the warmth, he stretches, feeling tension knotted muscles relax. Still no word from OT. Not even WHICH side they would be supporting. Well. At least they made it through the night. Any "takeovers" that may happen during the daylight hours, would probably occur in the Boardroom, not on the streets.

Nodding at the Sentry posted on the wall, Gun strides down the steps into the sally port. As he does, he glances around the walls, checking to see all the sentry posts were manned. With a base of this size, it was no longer feasible to maintain their own support/security. The Home Office had arrangements with several off-world contractors who specialized in this kind of thing. Everything from food to laundry to local security was supplied by contractors that had spent years working for and with the Pathfinders main force units.

As he walks towards the Chow hall, he keys his comm mic.

< Chief to all teams, stand down, I say again, stand down. All Teams released to Team Leader discretion. Its not gonna happen today guys, get some chow and rest, tonight may be another long one. >

Gun can almost feel the wave of relief drift across the compound. He shook his head. DAMN Omni! RUR may be having internal issues, but the real reason for OTs interest was a potential power struggle with the Guardians. If OT allows Ergo to gain a foothold in a local business, it could launch a whole new set of problems for OT. There was enough competition without Ergo nosing his way in. THEN there was the big choice, support the Directors of RUR and overthrow the Yuttos. Thus alienating the Guardian Faction, but gaining Neutral support. OR support the Yuttos, and suck up to Ergo and his croneys and take a chance on Neutral riots in Borealis. And push the Citizenry even further from Omni.

Gun shuddered. This is WAY above his pay grade.
    Because we said so.

Gun leaned back in his chair and rubbed his eyes. Sighing, he looked again at the potential contract on the screen. Perfect, just the thing hes was looking for. No "wetwork", but difficult enough to be a decent test. Infiltrate a certain office in Tir, and retrieve a data disc stored there. Nodding, he sent the file and all info to an Email that he had been given. Now, just have to wait and see how well this new unit does. Gun grinned as he thought of the meeting today. A unit calling themselves "Red Dawn", had approached him with an offer to sub-contract work. Nothing unusual about this...except this was a Clan unit. And on top of that, an all female unit, which as rather rare. Coincidently, Gun had a thing for Opi chicks, (and red heads), and had decided to give them a chance. If they worked out, this would be a valuable asset to the Pathfinders. They looked pretty professional, for the most part. Altho the Shade did give him the willies.

Gunfytr stood up and stretched. Done, and done. There was a week time limit on completion of this mission, but he doubted they would need that long. The creds wouldnt be the best, but he was giving them the whole amount, not withholding any handling fees this time. They know the money will get better with the difficulty of the mission. Having an allied Clan unit, if kept as secret as Gun planned, could be a important surprise to a foe at some future date. Yes, Gun planned on keeping THIS one very close.

Turning off his comp and closing the door to his office, Gun strolls outside. He gazes at the Moons visible on the horizon. The Pathfinders were aquiring quite a retinue here. OTAF Reservists, Clan covert units, not to mention the contacts spread out across all three factions on RK.

And none of them have the faintest clue.
    Because we said so.

'Well', Lawdog muttered to himself, 'This is another fine mess.'

At the sound of clanging footsteps, he casually leans around the crate he was using for cover, and blows away another 'bot coming at him. Renewed weapons fire spatters on the crate and walls around him. Reloading, he glances up at the 'bots flying above him, trying to get a shot at him. Rising to his knees, he allows his eyes to de-focus. Blasting with both pistols, he quickly guns down all 5 drones. Giggling, he sinks back behind the crate as infuriated voices shout at him about his parentage. He keys his comm.

< Lawdog to Pathfinder Base. Any ETA on backup? These guys are getting excited. >
    < Cong here, Law. Bull and I will have our Teams there in about 5 mins. Any idea who those guys are? >
    < No idea. I stumbled over some kind of base here. And they are NOT happy with me at all. >

Law pops up, and blasting away with both pistols, moves forward to a new vantage point, dropping 2 of the force opposing him. These people weren't trained troops, he could tell that much. He had been investigating the caverns in the deep south of Southern Fouls Hills, when he found the entrance to an unmarked facility. And its gone downhill from there.

Peeking his head around a corner, he sees a heavy weapons turret catch sight of him, and begin rotating in his direction. Uh oh, time to move. He dives back to his original spot, sliding through a hail of tracer fire. Reaching over the top of the crate, he blindly empties his Jobe pistol in a roar. Reloading, he shakes his head, what the hell is this place?

The sounds of growls and metal claws on the floor catch his attention. Two mech-dogs come flying over the top of the crate and dive for his throat. Throwing up an arm, Law allows one to grab his forearm in its maw, while shoving his Jobe into the mouth of the other. Pieces of unidentified mech-dog splash around the area as he dumps the whole magazine into the dogs head. The second mech-dog grinds on his armored forearm, coming close to piercing it. Law frantically bashes the dog with his empty pistol.

Suddenly, the mech-dog is picked up off of Law, and is broken over a heavily armored knee. Law stares up at Cong, and is only then aware of the amount of fire power pushing back the opposing forces. Cong pulls him to his feet, grinning at him through his visor.

< Glad you guys could make the party! Oh, they have Turrets set up, too >
    < I think we can handle that.>

Law watches as Bull leans around the corner with a rocket launcher over his shoulder. With a hissing roar, the turret is no longer an issue. Law happily falls in with the Troops as they begin to cleanse the facility.

*later*

Lawdog stands with Beersoldier in a courtyard in Borealis. The facility had an unregistered teleportor linked directly to Bore. They watch as the last of the prisoners are loaded into Omni-Pol transports. While cleaning out the facility, it was discovered that it was a smuggling operation. Complete with repair shops, living quarters, and most interesting, a laboratory. Run by a subject by the name of Ash Anderson, this was a major operation. Accident or not, this was a major coup for the Unit. The intelligence gathered here will keep Omni-Pol busy for months.

An insistant voice grabs their attention. Robin Ragg, the scientist who was heading up the research here, was being led out. ' I must be allowed to continue my research!! The crystals are almost ready.....' His voice fades as he is stuffed inside the transport.

Beer turns his attention back to Law.
    'Good job...kinda'
    'Yeah, well. It turned out well, we'll call it a win, huh, Boss?'
    'What have you got there? Picking up souvenirs?'

Law follows his glance to a bag on Laws hip. It was lumpy and angry chirps can be heard coming from it. Law shakes his head in disgust.
    'They had leets in there. I'm gonna take them out in the forest and turn them loose.'

Beer laughs, 'Ok, but get back to the compound as quick as you can, Guns gonna want to debrief you.' He casually looks around, 'Anything on that "other" thing you been workin on?'
    'Nothing yet...you know how many caves are on this planet?'
    'No, but I expect it to be in your final report. Go take care of your friends.'
    'Gotcha Sarge. Back soon.'
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr revved the engine of his bike, speeding his way back to the compound. His mind churned on several subjects. He wasn't really surprised that the client had stiffed them on the bill. The Red Dawn team had done a fantastic job, getting the items in question, and the client had decided that the items value wasn't as much as the fact that they had been stolen at all. Well. This can be handled, too.

Gun frowned. He had paid the Red Dawn Team out of the unit coffers. There would be no profit on THIS venture. However, the client will understand the possible consequences of dealing in bad faith with the Pathfinders. Yes, the mission had been technically illegal, and not supported by the ICC, but that didn't give the client a "free ride". Yes, having some key personell turn up missing for a week or so should show the errors of their ways. He had given the followup job to Red Dawn. They would be paid handsomely for their part, again, out of the unit funds. Killing two birds with one stone, this will get the point across to the client, and will further test the resolve of the new team.

The final good news of the day had been when he had overheard a conversation on Ch42. Some suspected BlackNet members were going to be at The Cup in Athens. Gun just "happened" to stop by and introduce himself. Ciy was there, but was careful not to let on that they knew each other. The BN members denied any knowledge of BlackNet, of course, but Gun was able to plant the suggestion that he was willing to meet with them. A rather formidable Black Ops unit, themselves, a working relationship with the Pathfinders would benefit both.

Adding another major unit to the list of Pathfinder Allies will be a huge coup. Gun grins. Lets see....whats next? Ah, yes....I wonder if the Mayor of Newland is available for lunch this weekend.

Gun laughs out loud.

Smoke and Mirrors.
    Because we said so.

"Where is he, dammit...."

Gun slides deeper into the shadows. He looks around warily. Tir is NOT the place he would normally pick for a late night jaunt, but the info he received said that this would be the best place to find his target. And it was of the utmost urgency that the target be found. Gun shifted the package held under his arm, grimacing. This matter needed to be finished, one way or the other.

Sticking a small scope around the corner of the ally, Gun scans the street. Nothing yet. Breathing deep, Gun settles in for a wait. Minutes pass by, as thoughts race thru his head. This was not a "sanctioned" Op. This was a personal matter, that only Gunfytr could conclude. And it WOULD be concluded.

Gun hears footsteps approaching. This one is cagey, gotta be quick. Using the scope, he sees its his target. As the target crosses the mouth of the ally, Gun lunges out and wraps an arm around the figure. He spins the figure into the ally, and pins him against the wall.

"OI!! What the H--. GUN??"

Gun smiles evilly. "Hello Steely, funny bumping into you here."

"Whats all this, then mate? What are you doing??"

"We have some unfinished business "Mate", Gun replies, "Thought you could just leave me in Hell, and get away with it?"

"Just what are you getting at? If you think-"

Gun interrupts, "You left somthing with me....and I dont wont to be stuck with it any longer."

Understanding dawns in Steelyglints eyes, and he slowly grows pale.
    "You dont mean..."

"AH, but I DO mean. This has haunted me long enough. Time to give you what was yours all along."

With that, Gunfytr tears open the package he had been carrying the whole time.....

*BEEP*
    Because we said so.

Beersoldier walks passed Gunfytrs office, and sticks his head in. Seeing the Chief on the comms, he moves to leave. Spying him, Gun motions him to wait, and Beer listens to the conversation.

"Yes sir, I understand. Well, thats how it was explained to me. OK, Sir, we will look into it, goodbye"

Shaking his head, Gun disconnects the comm. "Sit down Sarge, you're gonna love this one."

"Whats up, Boss?", asks Beer, finding a spot on the sofa.

"Ok, follow me on this. I was contacted by RUR management. Evidently, OT is having problems with the Surveillence system. RUR is convinced that Bazzit is behind it, and want us to prove it."

"Wait", Beer interrupts, "RUR is gonna pay us to check on OTs system?"

"No," Gun grins, "They just WANT us to ...AND prove that Bazzit is behind it."

"Im not getting this..IS there a problem?"

"It seems there is. I just spoke to InternOps. There has been some kind of interference lately, from an unknown origin. I'm just kind of su****ious of RUR pointing us in Bazzits direction. I-Ops wasnt even going to look into it until I called and explained RURs concern."

"So, what do you want done?", asked Beer with a frown.

"Put a couple of our hackers on it, see what they can find. Check out Bazzit, just to be sure, but take a look at any new stuff RUR has out, also. They were just a bit too eager to divert attention else where. Advise them that RUR may be looking into this on their own...they may have some idea of "helping" us, so tell the guys to be gentle. Oh, and I'm gonna have my "wild card" workin this also, from the outside, but dont mention it to our people."

Beer nodded, "How is she working out?"

"Quite well. She has a little baggage to clean up, yet, but that "vacation" should have helped. I'm goin to be using one of our "slush" funds to finance her on this. I wanna keep her off the books as much as I can. Theres even rumors of a bounty on her."

"Bounty, huh?", Beer asks, his eyes beginning to gleam, "How much?"

Gun laughs, leaning back in his chair, "You stay off my new toy, Sarge. Shes good, she may give you a run for your money. I want her on this Op with us. A different perspective may help."

"Got it. I'll get our guys started on it now." Beer gets up to leave.

"Oh, by the way, RUR insisted we give this Op a "code name".

Beer grins, "Really? And that would be...?"

"Operation Clueless, and oh my god does it fit," Gun laughs.
    Because we said so.

Gun entered a comm address from memory.

"Good day, may I speak to Eeod, please? Yes, I'll wait."

"Yes, sir, this is Chief Warrant Gunfytr, we spoke earlier today?.......About the trouble with OTs surveillence system? Um.....you wished my Unit to look into it? Yes, the Pathfinders. No, my name is NOT Mr. Clueless.....you may call me Chief if you like. No sir, not Chief Clueless, just Chief. Yes, sir, thats correct. I have gotten confirmation from the Board, that they do wish us to look into the matter. I felt I should call you to let you know. No, sir, we aren't goin to arrest Bazzit now, we have just begun the investigation. I appreciate the fact you think hes behind it, but we do need to gather proof before we arrest him.....yes, sir, Im sure thats how it works. I'm sorry, what was that? Leetbots? I really......sir......sir......really, sir, theres no need......Eeod, I have a wonderful idea! Why dont you control the Fleabots from.....what? Oh, I'm sorry, LEETbots. Why dont you retain control of the LEETbot from there? Im sure your expertise will add the the Operation. Operation Secret? But I thought....well, ok. Yes sir, Ill be in touch. Goodbye."

Gunfytr: wtb antacids...pst
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr sat in his office, gazing out the window, his booted feet resting on his desk. He was pondering the reports he had gotten on the OT Surveillence system. Nothing was adding up.

Suddenly, attack alarms blare out across the compound. Gun goes over backwards with a crash and a grunt. In a flash hes up and moving, grabbing the Xan rifle from the weapons rack as he goes past.

As he sprints for the Command Center, he listens as Teams calmly report to their defensive positions. Entering the Com Center, he finds Beer bending over a Techs shoulder, studying the scope.

"What have we got Sarge?", Gun asks.

Without answering, Beer keys his comms. "Incoming! Unknown ordinance inbound in 30 seconds!"

He glances up at Gun, "Boss, its coming in from ORBIT!"

"WHAT??", Gun hisses. "Who in the Hell is gonna hit us from orbit??" He thinks rapidly, "Can we tell where it came from?"

Beer shakes his head, "Theres nothing THERE...it just dropped from nowhere." He glances back to the scope, and opens his comm again, "Hunker down, troops...Here it comes!!"

HISSSSSSS......THUD!!

*later*

The Pathfinders gather around a large crater in the middle on the compound. The object had done no damage, other than a large hole.

Gun stands off to the side, speaking to several Team leaders.

"Ok, anyone have any ideas?" Gun stares at the hole, "If this was a nuke, we could have lost our butts. Maybe this was a warning?"

"Hey Boss!" Silver runs up to the group, and holds his gloved hand out for inspection. The assembled Pathfinder Leadership stares at what appears to be a Leets tail....with gears hanging out of it.

Gun takes his helmet off, and peers at the object. "Thats a....thats a........leet..bot." Slowly, his face turns pink, then red...the veins in his neck begin to stand out. Unobtrusively, the Personnel around him begin to quietly back away. He closes his eyes, and fights for control.

Taking a shuddering breath, he turns to Beer. "Get RUR on the Comm. And then I want 4 Teams geared up. The Yuhtos will be the LEAST of their worries when I get done with them", He says hoarsely.

He looks around and snarls, "Do it now!!"
    Because we said so.

Beer gingerly sticks his head around the door frame of Guns office. He spies Gun sitting at his desk, reading some sort of manual. Glancing up, Gun sees him and waves him in.

"How you doin, Boss?" Beer asks.

"Better," Gun sighs, "Almost good".

"Good? I dont like the sound of that."

Gun tosses the book across the desk so Beer can read the cover. "Leet Training for Dummies? Whats all that about?"

Gun smiles, "Im having 50K copies delivered to RUR, using one of their own pay accounts. They wont get the connection, but it makes me feel better."

Beer laughs, "Yeah, they wont get it, but I like it. I guess it IS better than burning down RUR HQ like you wanted to at first."

Gun frowns, "I still think that was a better idea, but Ill defer to you guys on that one. OH, I havent even mentioned the 10K cases of toilet paper they are gonna get. That kinda expresses my opinion of the whole 'robo-leet' idea." Gun looks up and stares intently at Beer, "Maybe just a few out buildings? A small warehouse? I really like the view of flames against the glow of the moons."

Beer breaks into laughter, "No, Boss. It would be BAD, and draw unwanted attention to us. You are comin up with great ways to get them back...you'll find more."
    Because we said so.

Gun notices an icon on the top of his screen. Clicking it, he sees its a report from his "Wild Card". Hmm...ok. Listening to the report, he stares quizically at the comp, and replays the message. After a third replay, he sits back in his chair. Well, now. This could be a problem. He stares off into space. What to do about THIS little complication?

Sitting back up, he quickly transfers a sum of creds to a certain account, adding a hefty bonus. This information was difficult to obtain, she earned it.

Once more he contemplates the info. Weapon research of this type, coming from that location was a major surprise. This particular weapons tech was old, and no one has worked it in years. If they have made advances in this.....

Gun walks to the doorway of his office. The trooper manning the front desk looks up alertly. "Yeah, Chief?"

"Have Lawdog stop by my office, please."

"Right away, Sir."
    Because we said so.

Lawdog creeps along the ridge line. There only appeared to be two sentries, but always better to be safe. He finally reaches a vantage point where he can see both, but they were not able to see each other. The sentries committed a cardinal sin...they followed a set pattern. Walk for 5 minutes around the bunker, then stand in place for 5. This is gonna be easy. Glancing at his chrono, he saw he had 3 minutes left before they settled down. His mind drifts back to the meeting with Gunfytr.

He had been tasked with infiltrating a Cyborg compound. The Unit had intelligence that they were working on some type of weapon that could strip reflect shielding. Law grinned. Stuff like that made even an old Soldier like the Boss nervous. Many years ago, most of the Wep Dev teams in the Theater of Operation had worked on similar stuff, but had finally shelved it. Lawdog didnt normally do infiltration, but he could hum the tune. He was an expirienced enough operator, that there wasnt much he couldnt do.

Back to business. His gaze sharpened as the sentries took up their stationary positions. Slowly, he brought up his new pistol, and stared down the optics. Lining up on the Cyborgs helmet, he let out half a breath and squeezed the trigger. Smoothly, he repeated the process on the second sentry. He scanned the clearing. Both were down, no alarms sounding. He gazed fondly at the black pistol, and gently slid it back into a shoulder holster. Fine piece of equipment.

Pulling out his Jobe and Twitch pistols, he advanced on the entrance. Once he was inside, noise wouldnt matter, but if the alarm sounded before he was inside, the automated defenses would burn him to a cinder before he could advance.

He ghosted up to the panel set alongside the door. He punched in commands, and was asked for a password. He glanced at the headless bodies lying near him and sighed. Password, huh? I GOT your password. Humming, he pulls out plastique and begins applying it to the door. Well, so much for "quiet".

*Some time later*

"Hey Boss!"

Gunfytr looks up as Law strolls into his office, lugging two bulky looking, red and steel Assault Rifles.

"I have your confirmation. She was right on the money."
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr tore a path through the Medusa's surrounding him, his mind a blur of rage. Several of his well laid plans had fallen to pieces over the passed few days, and he needed to vent a little frustration. Picking up a few creds in Medusa bounties would do nicely.

He looks around, and spots a fresh wave of tenticle waving creatures approaching. He answers their songlike wails with a roar. As he empties his assault rifle, he reaches for a new magazine. A medusa, sneaking from behind, wraps its tenticles around his rifle, stopping him. His free arm flashes out and grabs the creature by the neck. He holds it in front of his visor, studying it as it chokes and struggles to escape. Not finding the answers he seeks in its face, he headbutts it repeatedly, and allows it to fall at his feet. Reloading, he continues to blast the creatures down.

As he fights, his mind is continually working the latest crisis' to befall him. His biggest problem almost caused a schism between the Pathfinders and Omni-Pol. His "Wildcard" had decided to give up the Clan cause and accept employment in OT. But, Nooooooo!, Omni-Pol had this "thing" about accepting known and wanted "terrorists". From the business side, this was annoying, but personally, this was devastating. Well, Gun had ways of working around this. Noone was goin to keep Ciy out of his life.

And to make things just a little more "out there", OT wants him to investigate sightings of Philip Ross. Seems there have been several sightings, with multiple witnesses. Gun mentally shakes his head. He had seen the REAL report about what had happened, and he seriously doubts that could be remotely possible.

Gunfytr grabs a Medusa and picking it up, breaks it across his knee. Looking around, he sees that it was the last in the area. Panting, he walks to a rocky outcrop and sits. Mentally counting the bodies around him, he adds up the bounty. His ponders the amount of frustration still inside. This just wasnt doing it. Maybe he could go to the Happy Rebel and pick a fight. Cheered by the thought, he pulls out an axe and begins taking coup for the bounties.
    Because we said so.

"OK! Hit'em now! Roll'em up!"

Gunfytr leads Two of his teams around the flank of the Clan line. The main Omni Zerg had already fixed the Clan blob in place, and the Pathfinders were going to be the finishing touch.

Many, many towers had already fallen to the Clan Raiders, but they had not reached the Control Tower. The din from the battle was incredible, blades and bullets cutting the air and armor. Screams, yells and shouts of command blare through the normally quiet valley.

The Pathfinder force reaches the lines and the melee ensues. Gun blocks a swing from a staff, and blasts down the Opi wielding it. Reloading, he kicks aside the now clueless pet and moves on. Finding himself in a momentary island of quiet, he looks around. He spys a Clan leader, frantically attempting to rally his people. Pulling his scoped Plasma Rifle off his back, he zooms in and puts a round through his helmet. For a moment, he thinks he recognizes the fallen Clanner and feels a moment of remorse. Quickly he pushes the thought aside, reminding himself that death is not permanent on RK.

Gunfytr checks his heads-up display....got to time this right....
    'Now! Beer, bring them now!'

He smiles in satisfaction as 3 more Pathfinder teams appear from over the valleys edge. He had picked the time to commit his reserves. It was all over now except for the screaming.

Suddenly a huge shadow looms over Gun. He looks up as a Clan Atrox charges him. Too dumb to know the battle was over, and run for it, this big oaf wanted to take Guns head home with him. Swiftly bringing his assault rifle around, Gun blasts the 'Trox. The enforcer takes the damage and keeps coming. Swinging a huge rafter beam like an ancient baseball bat, he takes a step closer to Gun. Gun frantically parries the beam, but loses his weapon. Whipping out an old Custom Reet Pistol, Gun blasts the Enfo in the face. The huge 'Trox just laughs and picks Gun up by his shoulders, preparing to break him to pieces.

Gun struggles to free himself, kicking the Enfo in the chest. Then he notices the Enfo not moving. Gun looks down at him to see the behemouth staring past Gun, into the sky, with a confused look. Finally noticing a rumbling sound, Gun cranes his head around to see a building sized laser beam hit the ground near the CT. Struggling even harder now, to get away from the frozen 'Trox, he watches as the wave of fire rolls towards him, eating everything in its path.

'Oh shi...'
    Because we said so.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast