Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pathfinders saga

Gun gazes between his feet. The floor below is visible 25ft below him, thru a clear dance floor. He shakes his head, now hes seen it all. Lifting his gaze, he stares at the Nuet Fixer who had challenged him to a duel. No longer a drunken mess, the Fixer was preparing his weapons for the upcoming fight.

"They get kicks out of 'baiting' Faction members into duels. Something about them swearing not to initiate combat. Seems to me they found a suitable workaround." Kisa informs him.
    Guns looks at Kisa, "Do tell..."
    "Ok, this guys an evade class fixer. You're gonna have touble hittin him. He's gonna root you and run around, you wont be able to keep up with him." Kisa says unhappily.
    Gun grins, "I got a trick or two he may have not seen. I'll be alright."

The bartender walks up to them. "You ready?"' he asks. Gun nods. He walks out to the center to where the Fixer stands, smiling smugly. They face off.

The crowd chants "4...3...2...1...GO!!"

Determined to make this quick, Gun lets go a full salvo from his shark, emptying the magazine. He watches in disbelief as the Fixer takes a short step to the side, and evades the entire wave of bullets. As Gun slides a fresh clip into his rifle, he feels a tingle, and finds his feet rooted to the floor. The Fixer fires back, a cloud of rounds that batter him mercilessly. He watches as the Fixer runs around the room, evading most of his shots, brutally denting his armor, and without taking much damage in return.
    Gun thinks quickly. Ok, gotta lose this root and hinder his mobility. Hmmm.....got it, but the timing is gonna be tough.
    The two combatants continue pounding at each other, Gun takin the majority of the damage. With his heavier armor, he can afford to...but not forever. The fixer, taking enough damage to marginally slow him, darts closer, taunting Gun. He begins to /disco dance in time with the music still playing in the dance room. Gun spits a mouthful of bloody saliva into his helmet, perfect. He pops a rare anti-root stim hes been saving since his trip to the Inner Sanctum. It disolved the root and he charged the Fixer, smashing him with the butt of his rifle, bowling him onto the ground. He pounces on top of the downed Fixer, stopping him from getting back up. Slamming the muzzle of his shark into the Fixers helmet viser, he can see two wide, shocked eyes watching him. "Evade this, bitch!!" He shouts, emptying his weapon.
    Wearily he climbs to his feet, aware that someone had turned the music off. Blearily, he looks around at the silent crowd. "Wet cleanup on aisle 10!" He gurgles.
    Kisa is suddenly by his side, pulling him towards the exit. "Lets go, Hero", She urges, "Time to leave." Gun allows her to guide him to a nearby grid terminal. "So, what are we gonna do for a second date, huh?" She jibes. Gun just shakes his head.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

BEEP

"So, let me get this straight," Gunfytr says mildly to the two former sentries, standing at a tight brace in front of him. They are not fooled by his mild tone, and both wish for a quick trip to reclaim to get them out of this. " You're on patrol, and hear a su****ious noise. You dont call it in, nor do you call for back-up." "Chief," One of them interrupts, "we wanted to make sure it wasnt an animal or something."

BEEP

"Did it sound anything like that?", Gun asks. "Yessir," They both reply, miserably. "Have you ever heard an 'animal' make a noise like that?", Gun asks in a reasonable voice. "Nosir," They reply. "And then, after NOT calling this in, you investigate on your own. And find an intruder in MY perimeter." Gun casually strolls around the two. "Who knocks YOU down with his PURSE, and takes YOUR gun away."

BEEP

In a movement almost too fast to follow, Gun pivots on one heel and punts the Backpack out the front of the tent, into the darkness.

BEEEEeeeeeeee-----thud

"You're sure it was the Clan Captain?" "Yes, Chief. I'm pretty sure. Scarred up face, he had mud covering his mohawk, but I could still see pink." He smiled nervously, " It kinda stands out." He stopped smiling when he saw the expression on Guns face, swallowing hard and coming again to attention. "Sorry, Sir. He told us to give you his regards and then capped himself. Presumably to avoid capture."
    "Well, he was sure safe from capture from you two morons." Gun stares at them, "I think you two are going to be able to help me with something. OT wants to blow the shuttle in place, to avoid anyone trying to salvage it. I believe that BURYING it would be smarter. So, why dont you go out and start diging the hole? RIGHT FRACKING NOW!"
    Both troopers practically run over themselves trying to get out of their leaders tent. "And put that blasted backpack in something sound proof and leave it here."

Gun sits at his makeshift desk and laughs weakly. He didnt blame Steely a bit. Gun would have tried the same thing. He hears one of his troops set a package outside his tent.

*beep*

"Oh, no", He thinks to himself, "I'm not gettin stuck with THAT albatros." He quickly grabs his helmet, and opens a comm-link. "Kisa! Heya babe. I need a favor...."
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr sits at his desk, catching up on paperwork. 'Leave for a few days, and the whole world piles up on you,' He mumbles as he works.

*ping*

Gun looks up at his desk comm, and punches it live. The OT Majors face fills the screen. 'Good day, Sir. What can I do for you?'

'Ahhh, yes. Chief Warrant, I need you to come over to my offices immediately, for a...um...de-briefing on the shuttle crash.'

Gun stares the Majors image. He is pale and sweating, continually glancing off camera, as if looking for instructions from someone unseen by Gun. Nonchallantly, Gun shrugs, 'No problem, Sir. On my way. Should I bring some of my people who were there?'

'No no no, you have to come alone,' he says quickly. 'You must come here NOW...thats an order' The Major disconects.

'Well, now...This is interesting', Gun muses. He reaches up and opens a comm link.

< Team leaders. My office. ASAP >

It might be time to get creative.....
    Because we said so.

Gun walks into the Majors office. The Major is obviously relieved to see him, and quickly waves him into a seat.

'You wished to see me, Sir?'

'Yes yes, I have been hearing disturbing rumors about you and your Unit, Chief. About the fact that you have been asking questions about the shuttle. I dont want--'

'Ill take it from here...'

Gun spins in his seat to see an Omni-Reforn Colonel walk out of an ajoining room. Through the open door he can see that the room is full of OT Shock Troops, visors down, holding thier primed weapons at the ready.

Gun slowly stands up, and comes to attention. As he does, he uses the movement to mask him keying his throat mic.

< Jackpot >

A shrill blast of static tears through his ear bud reciever, causing him to pull it out with an uttered curse. He looks at the Colonel looming over him.

The Colonel laughs,' Ah, yes. I took the liberty of jamming all frequencies in the area while we have our 'chat'. For however long it may take'

The blood drains from Guns face as he considers the implications of this.

The Colonel points at the chair Gun had sat in. 'Sit down, Chief Warrant, lets see if we can resolve this...or not.'
    Because we said so.

The Colonel sits behind the desk, studying Gunfytr. He had sent the Major scurrying out of the office. Now they were alone. But only if you didn't count the dozen heavily armed troops in the next room.....

'So, Colonel, what can the Pathfinders do for Omni-Reform?'

'The Colonel gives Gun a pattenly false smile, and replies, 'More like what can you NOT do for us. I have heard too many rumors that you and your unit have been sticking your collective noses where they dont belong. I am here to decide if a simple smack with a rolled up newspaper is sufficient, or maybe if 'harsher' methods may be needed.'

'Sir, I wont pretend to misunderstand what this is about. All the information we have recieved has been passed along to Omni-Pol. I understand we have added quite a bit to thier investigation.' Gun clears his throat, 'Im to understand that Omni Reform is taking over the investigation?'

'Your unit was not contracted as a Law Enforcement unit. You were not contracted to conduct Criminal Investigations. You mercenaries are here so regular Omni Troops can be free to prosecute this war against the enemies of Omni. You do 'odd jobs', you act as 'guards' for the tower fields. You WILL understand your PLACE here...or do you NEED to be educated?'

'I understand the requirments of our contract, and have followed them to the letter,' Gun replies evenly. 'Do you have complaints about our performance?'

'No, actually, your unit has been quite impressive. Thats the only reason you have an opportunity to correct your mistake.' He stands up and gazes out the window. 'This isnt one of the core worlds, there are no courts here....no appeals.' He turns and sneers at Gun. 'This whole planet is Omni. We OWN this ball of dirt. WE make the rules here. 'I' make the rules here. The investigation is closed. I have determined that the Clans shot down the shuttle.' He stares at Gun, 'Anything you would like to add to that?'

Gun stares the death of every member of his Unit in the eye, 'No sir.'

The Colonel gives another false smile, 'Good, glad to see you understand your position in this matter.' He sits back down. 'You know,' he says in an offhand manner, 'The reclaim process is not completely 'failsafe'. There have been a few 'unfortunate' occasions where an employees information was deleted, and that person fail to reclaim. I would certainly hate to see that happen to a random member of your unit. Or maybe ALL of them.'

'I understand', Gun stares at the Colonel, memorizing evey bit of his face. 'I can assure you, there will be no more incidents from me or my unit.'

"Wonderful! There, now, Chief, isnt communication a beautiful thing?'

'Couldnt agree more, Sir. May I be dismissed?' Gun replies woodenly.

'Go, get out,' The Colonels face turns ugly for a moment, 'If you fracken SNEEZE, Ill be there.'

Without another word, Gun turns and walks into the hallway.
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr casually strolls out of Omni-1 HQ. He ducks around a corner and keys his mic.

< Jackpot! Jackpot! >
    < Boss! You ok? >
    < Unit status? >
    < We're fine. When you didnt check in, we went hot. Had the turrets up, the whole thing. >
    < No trouble? >
    < No, but it looked close. We had what looked like a reinforced company park over the ridge from us. With about 15 mechs. They just sat there, though, never came within visual range. >
    < Ok, everything stays locked down. I'm on my way. Warm up the white radio, I need to talk to HQ in a bad way. >
    < This mean we are getting out of here? >
    < Oh, no, I got a MUCH better idea. The Commandant is gonna LOVE this. >

Breaking the connection, Gun runs a special encryption program before pinging the next comm.

< Hello? >
    < Hey babe...no names, ok? >
    < Bejesus, what are you into now? >
    < I think the unit has been targeted. >
    < What? Personally? By who?? >
    < Bad people....Black trenchcoat people >
    < Oh my God >
    < It aint over yet..I got an idea >
    < Where are you? >
    < Dont worry about me. I need you to lay low for a while. There isnt a trail to you, but anything that can be used against me... >
    < Ok >
    < If you get that feeling, get to Steely. Ill contact you when I can >
    < Be careful, dammit >
    < cya babe <3 >
    < bye >

Disconnecting the comm, Gun walks over to the ICC wompa, and steps through. He gazes at the front door of ICC HQ. 'So, Mr Omni Reform "I make the rules" Colonel,' Gun thinks to himself, 'We will just SEE about THAT, wont we?"

And walks throught the doors of ICC HQ.....
    Because we said so.

Early morning in Omni HQ. Busy little Omni employees hurrying to work. A large supply hover truck drives slowly up to the entrance of the HQ building.

'Hey Major!'

Startled, the OT major stops and turns to see Gunfytr swing down from the passenger side of the hovercraft. 'What....what are you doing here? Whats going on?'

Gun grins back at him, 'I just wanted to advise you of our status change.'

'What?? I dont....'

'What is the meaning of this?!'

Gun turns to see the Omni-Reform Colonel bearing down on him, trailing a squad of henchmen. 'I warned you! This is going to cost you dearly...'

In a flash, Gun is in the Colonels face, nose to nose. Simultaniously, two Pathfinder Teams spill from the back of the craft, forming interlocking fields of fire on the squad with the Colonel. The squad takes one look at the Pathfinders faces, and made sure to keep their hands away from their weapons.

The Colonels face turns red in fury. 'Just what do you think you're doing?'

Gun shows his teeth, in what could not be called a smile, 'Just returning some OT property, files, minor knick knacks. Since we dont work for you anymore.'

The Colonel scoffs, 'HA, We hold your contract. We own your souls.'

Gun leans closer, 'Ping me', he hissed viciously.

Confused, the Colonel pings the IFF module on Guns armor. And stares aghast at the reading......ICC Peacekeeper.

'Say hello to the new 'trouble shooter' unit for ICC. Our contract was bought-out by ICC last night.' Gun leans back and smiles sweetly at the slowly paling Colonel. "You DO know what that means, right? Violations against ICC personel could mean OT losing the lease for Rubi-Ka. And I've already taken the initiative to have our reclaim info transfered to ICC computers. My people are untouchable. YOU on the other hand.....are less so. I'd keep that in mind if I were you.'

The Colonel abruptly turns and stalks off, stopping when he realized that his squad wasnt following him. He turns to find them frozen, like a leet faced by a snake.

Suddenly Max stomps towards them, shouting 'BOO!' As one, the squad jumps and turning, flees up the steps to the entrance. The Colonel stares in impotent rage. Laughing, Gun turns his back on him and walks back to the hovercraft.

Slapping Beer on the back, he says, 'We are SURELY gonna have fun here...'

(( IFF = Identify Friend/Foe))
    Because we said so.

*Screeeeech!*
    The heart stopping sound of teeth on his visor sets Gunfytr into a desparate frenzy. His assault rifle empty, and no time to reload, he reverses it and begins pounding the alien into the tarmac. He stops only when he realizes that he is impacting concrete, and no longer the bugs head. Quickly reloading, he spins in place, looking for a new target. Seeing only the battered remains of his Teams and a few local defenders, he relaxes a moment.

< Sound off!! All teams, report status! >
    < A Team...1 down >
    < B Team....3 down >
    < D Team...I'm alone here.. >

Frowning, Gun keys his mic.

< C Team, report. C Team? >

With a growled curse, Gun unloads his magazine at the Alien ship, its teleport beam still shining on the ground in the distance. He watches as his tracers bounce off the armored space craft, and a thought begins to ferment in his mind.

One of the local defenders comes forward, gushing thanks for the help in saving the city from occupation. With a curt nod, Gun brushes past him, and calls out to his teams.

'Mount up! I wanna see just how much damage we can do to the bugs before they get us!'

A chorus of blood thirsty war cries boom out into the countryside as the Pathfinder remnants sprint wildly for the teleport beam.

"Its dinnertime!! We got bug guts, bug guts and...oh, yeah, bug guts on the menu!! The Line forms behind me!'

One by one, the teams disappear into the beam.
    Because we said so.

Inside the Alien Mothership, Gun quickly restructures the remaining personel into 2 Teams. They had gotten lucky, the crafts Mothership had still been in teleport range. The first defenders that had ventured into the teleport beams during the initial raids had ended up at reclaim, with no memory of entering the beams. Much later it was determined that the assault craft were not transports, but merely a vehicle to deliver a portal connecting the Mothership to the area under attack. The portal worked both ways, and a daring (or foolhardy) force could teleport TO the Mothership.

< OK, we dont have much time to get to the Command room...keep it fast but stealthy >

One thing that was learned, a force inside the Mothership had a limited amount of time before the ship left orbit. Often, finding the Command room and killing the pilot bug was the only way of buying themselves time.

Creeping down a wide hallway, Gun peeks around a corner. Seeing a sentry bug, he motions to Max to come up to him. With hand siganls he counts down. Both Soldiers whip around the corner, and the bug does his best collander impression, before collapsing to the deck.

Motioning for the Team to follow, Gun moves deeper into the ship.
    Because we said so.

Gun leans back in his chair. "Chit Chat magazine. I'm sure they have offices somewhere. Find it, scout it, report back."

The two agents stare steadily back at Gun. "Question, Sir?", Moss asks. Gunfytr nods. "Is this business or personal?"

Gun grins wryly, "Personal...for the moment. Dismissed. Keep me informed."

Beer waits till both leave the office before saying, "Boss, you already whooped this PBF guy once...what gives with the interest?"

"That was more R and R than a mission.", Gun laughs, "I wasnt going to attack him at all, but he tried a gank. This guy is getting to be an annoyance....even Steelyglint is offering suggestions on how to 'deal' with him. Oh, that reminds me....get a team on breaking up that slab of concrete and dig up that Backpack. That was a good idea, by the way...haven't heard a beep in days. Guess 6 inches of concrete DID do the job."

"Ok," Beer replies, "I'll get with the other TLs and see who's on their **** lists."

"You know," muses Gun, "Not to blow my own horn, but this whole ICC contract was a stroke of genius. Especially about the clause that allows us to take side contracts. Bounties, short missions...it really opens up a plethora of opportunities."

"Anything look interesting?, Beer grins, "Or at least fun?"

"I've got a few....I'm gonna call a staff meeting in a day or so, look over some of these. What I need from you, that new guy we picked up....Fjager? He seems pretty handy with the comp stuff. I want you to get him into some ICC classes. Primarily Reclaim tech. Everything up to and including hacking and altering Reclaim information....we know it CAN be done, I want some of MY people to be able to do it." He looks grimly at Beer. "I'm having flash backs to the 'old days'. Someone is a threat to the Team? Or just pissin you off? Plasma bolt behind the ear usually settled it. We will have to see."

Beer laughs quietly,"I think its a problem with your upbringing."

"Maybe. But I think that there are some individuals on RK that would make the world a better place if they weren't on RK. AND, maybe we can make a few credz while doin it. Ok, go do your thing..I got a few calls to return."

Spinning in his chair, Gun activates his computer and punches in a number from memory....

"Rubi-Ka Universal Robots, how may I help you?"
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr casually takes aim at the target. Burst, Full Auto, and the target hangs in shreds. Smoothly, he discards the empty magazine, and slides in another.

'Hey Boss!'

Running feet and a shout catch his attention. He looks up, to see Fjager slide to a stop in frint of him.

'Whats up?'
    'You got a call at the TOC. Its on a landline, we didnt want to put it on the air...'

Gun looks at him, 'Who is it?'
    'Its Tarkhan Zora!! The CEO??'

Gun stares at him, 'Is he waitin on the line?'
    'No sir, but he left a number....what do you think he wants?'
    Gun laughs hollowly, 'I know exactly what he wants. And its gonna cost him. Maybe more than hes willing to pay.' He looks back to Fjager, 'Ok, back to what you were doing.'

For a moment Gun watches him trot off, deep in thought. Well, well, well. The CEO, himself, huh? He slowly starts the walk back to the compound. Shouldnt keep the man waiting. He knows that this is only the opening conversation of negotiations. It is truely gonna cost Omni to get the Pathfinders back on thier payroll. With some conditions that Gun isnt sure they will agree to. The Pathfinders were about to be upgraded from a pawn to a rook. Slowly but surely, things were coming together. This may just work, after all.
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr watches the shuttle lift off, carrying the negotiations team back into orbit. This had been the first time he had needed help in negotiating a contract, but if HQ's response could be taken into account, they were not holding it against him. Four 'crats and a Major from Legal Division had come to RK. Gun had sat in on the talks, but had let them handle it. As good as Gun was in leading troops and breaking things, these people were good at wringing concessions from a prospective employer.

Thru the Major, the Commandant had sent his regards. HQ was quite happy with the Units performance here. This recent development was more than they had hoped for. The Plan was in full effect...

Watching the shuttle dwindle into the distance, Gun smiles slowly. Time to brief the teams on their new job.....
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr looks over the assembled Teams. All were aware that negotiations were concluded today.

'OK, listen up. Once again, we are contracted to OT. BUT...this time its a bit different. The fact that ICC wanted us as 'troubleshooters' raised a few Omni eyebrows. They decided that it might be in the best interest of OT to use us as THIER 'troubleshooters'. So....tripled the contract price, choice of equipment, KOS bounties, among other concessions. We answer to the CEO, via one Liasion, an OTAF Colonel. We have complete autonomy. My lateral rank for OT is Colonel, the Team leaders rate as Majors. This will stop any crap from OTAF or the Reform chaindogs.
    Our job will be to do whatever the CEO wants or needs to be done. Anything ELSE we wish to take on is up to us, as long as we take care of the CEO's problems. Outside contracts, bounties.....anything short term can and will be looked at. Because we arent members of OTAF, we are still eligable for cash bounties on KOS targets....I like this idea. This also means we will be doing some Internal Investigations in Omni Depts. Black marketing, Information brokering, plain old 'spying', anything we find, we 'take care' of. ICC is aware of our status, and whole heartedly supports it. They seem to like the idea of an outside Unit Policing OT.
    I mentioned autonomy, well, I mean COMPLETE autonomy. We have Clan, Nuetral, AND Omni contacts, and will continue to cultivate all of them. I was very clear about this. I think OT is more concerned about the internal problems they are having. Of course, we DO still have a non-disclosure clause, so don't be giving out OT secrets to ur Neut girlfriends.'

'Or your CLAN girlfriend..' Gun hears a whisper from the crowd, followed by giggles.

'Or your CLAN girlfriend', Gun grins.

'I'm posting the contract if anyone wants to read the fine print. I need the Team Leaders in my office in 5.'
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr walked into his office to find all three TLs intently going over the new contract. Closing the door behind him, he walks behind his desk and flips on a confounder. THIS discussion needs to be secure.

'What do you guys think?'

Beer looked up, 'How in all thats Holy did you get them to agree to this?"

'How do you think? We had help.' Gun leans back in his chair. 'Plus I gave them our whole investigative report on the shuttle crash. Reform took it away from Omni-Pol and completely white-washed it. I made us some brand new enemies there. Not that I'm worried'

Erik shook his head, 'Impressed them, huh? Wasn't that hard, Omni-Pol was making good progress.'

Max laughed, 'Yeah, until those Reform idiots decided to make it a 'turf war'.

'Whats Intern-Ops gonna say about this? This IS thier turf. How we gonna handle that?' Beer frowns, 'We dont want to alienate them too much.'

'Im gonna meet with thier leadership tomorrow. I want to work out somthing agreeable with them. They have resources I want access to. Fortunately, our relationship with Omni-pol is still good. They appreciate the fact that we validated thier whole investigation on the shuttle. OTAF really doesn't care what we do...at least not until they notice us pulling in a certain supply sergeant, anyway.' Gun grins, 'That might cause concerns in some of the outlying facilities.'

'Chief, when are we gonna tell the Teams why we are REALLY here on RK?', Erik asks, 'I dont like keeping them in the dark'.

Gun leans back, deep in thought. 'Not yet. No, not quite yet.....'
    Because we said so.

Justin Barrow strolled non-chalantly through the streets of Omni Trade. He reflected on just how well his life was going since he met his "friend" that night in the Rhompa Bar. After all, with Omni as an example, how could he resist making a few 'off the book' creds for himself. His position as a mid-level exec in Omni-Personel made it very easy to make sure that certain jobs went to certain people. Once a week, he would take a walk on his lunch break, and find a list of people and positions under a trash can. That night 1 million creds would be deposited in his secret account, out of Fair Trade in Borealis. It was a sweet deal, but sometimes he wondered who these people really were...Clans, Dust brigade, or just relatives of his 'contact'. Oh, well, it didnt really matter, as long as the creds kept rolling in. He stopped at the usual trash can, and glanced around casually. No one in sight, perfect. He stooped and looked under the can. He frowned, not finding anything.

'Hello Citizen.'

Barrow started and looked up. He stared at a fully armored soldier, holding a menacing assualt rifle causually in the crook of his arm. His mouth dropped open, but no words came out.

'Lose somthing?'

'Who are you?", stammers Barrow.

'I've been known by many names....but you may call me God.'

The Soldier smoothly unlatches a stun prod from his belt, and casually reaches out and hits Barrow in the chest. With a squeal like a rollerrat getting stepped on, he collapses.

Gunfytr keys his Comm, < Target down, GO.>
    < Team A, check >
    <Team B, copy >
    < Team C , enroute to your location >

Gun looks down at the twitching Barrow. He gauges him, his possible resistance to the oncoming 'interview'. Yeah, he'll talk.

Gun glances around as C Team ghosts up to his position and quickly secures their prize. At the same time, he knows that Teams A and B are making dynamic entries into the suspects residence and office. He grins wryly. THAT will cause a stir, but there was no other way. Oh, and not to forget the 'secret' account. That will add quite nicely to the Teams coffers.

Erik looks across to Gun, "Ready, Boss."

Gun nods and C Team vanishes as quickly as they appeared, leaving Gun alone. He sighes. They will wring the suspect out like a wash rag, before turning him over to Intern-Ops. He casually looks around..the noise of the busy trading center undisturbed by the incident. He grins slowly, and whispers quietly, 'Next?'
    Because we said so.

"Typhus" returned to his machine after lunch break, the chaotic noise of the huge assembly area muffled by his headphones. This job wasnt bad, he thought, lots easier than things hes done before. He settled into the grind, loading primers into automatic rifle ammunition. The only break in the monotony, when he purposefully skipped a bullet every 100 or so, causing that round to be a dud. He worked quietly for some time, before realizing that the hair on his neck was standing up. Spinning, he peered around him. Nothing to be seen but other workers in the cavernous room. Shaking his head, he went back to work. He could still feel eyes on him, but couldn't tell from where. Suddenly he hears a "PFFFFFFTTT", and looks up in shock, to see half a dozen Pathfinders above him, hanging upside down from lines. Two of the Pathfinders were armed with Glueguns, spraying his legs and feet. Once he was secured to the floor, all the troops detatched from the lines, dropping easily to the floor near him.

'Hello sweatheart! Today is JUST not ur day!'

"Typhus" frantically fumbles in his mouth with his tongue, and there is a crunch as he bites down. He slumps to the glue covered floor, convulsing as the poison takes effect.

'Dammit!!', curses Beer. 'Strip him, quick!'

The members of his squad quickly strip off the clothing not covered in glue, searching the pockets and on the body for any signs of tattoos or other identifying marks. One by one they shake thier heads. Beer fumes as he watches the body de-rezz.

< A Team to Chief >
    < Go >
    < Target located and secured, but he did a poison pill. >
    < ....... >
    < Ok, it was a matter of time >
    < Issue stuns prods...this is gonna make it tougher. >
    < Continue mission >
    < A Team clear on all, continuing. >

((BTW, this wasn't an Aztechnology Munitions corp. facility ))
    Because we said so.

"OK, lets recap the Op"
    Gunfytr glances between his Team Leaders. They sit in one of the Units conference rooms, surrounded by reports and files.
    "Well, after picking up Barrow, we got 9 names and positions from him. Of these 9, we were able to make contact with 6, 5 of those suicided to avoid capture.' Beersoldier shifts thru a file. ' The one we took alive had some sort of hypno conditioning. Even if he WANTED to talk, and yes, he really wanted to talk, he couldnt. These people were Pros. We got lucky on the one we did take alive.'
    'The other 3 disapeared?'
    Beer nodded, 'Correct. Sounds like word got out.'
    Maxammo spoke up, 'The one we had was turned over to Intern-Ops. They officially think we walk on water, now. They had NO idea this ring was in operation.'
    Gun nods, 'Ok, next.'
    Erikose says, 'After the Op was considered 'finished', Barrow was turned over to Intern-Ops, also. We got everything we could from him. All his assets became ours, and OT will prolly just deport him back to where he came from....credless.'

Gun leans back in the chair, deep in thought.

"And we still are no closer to finding out who was the 'mover' behind this....', Gun muses. 'It could be mainline Clan, but it doesnt "feel" like one of thiers, and I'm willing to rule out Neutral extremists on this. That just leaves our old friends....'
    Beer nods agreement, 'Yup, I'm thinking the same.'
    'But why after all this time would the Dust Brigade go active?', wonders Erik.
    'No idea, but we need to find out. There have been reports of increased DB activity in Perp Wastes', Gun stands up. "I think its time we went back there and took a look. Get your teams up. Time for a little 'Old School' Ops.'
    Because we said so.

Gunfytr glances over his shoulder as he sprinted thru the sand. With a CLANG, a slug hits him in the back, knocking him into a roll down the dune.

"OOOOOOWWWW.....crap, that stings...."

Saved by his armor, but shaken, none the less, he scrambles back up, and continues his flight. He studies his HUD, and see a fourth dot join the chase. Dropping into a gulley, he races madly down its length. Shaking his head, he mumbles to himself, 'IS there such a thing as TOO good at being bait?' Stopping at a narrow spot in the gulley, he turns. 'Lets see if I can slow them up a bit.' He crouches, taking what cover is available, intently watching the top of the rise. An armored helmet and torso crests the hill, and Gun empties his assault rifle in one long burst, throwing the figure back out of sight. As he reloads, the figure reappears, with a line of dents in his armor. At the same time, 3 more appear. Simultaniously, all four turn and lock on him. 'Oh, my. Time to go!'

Gun runs frantically. Bullets and lasers kicking up sand around his feet. He gets over another dune, momentarily losing line of sight to his pursuers. His chest heaving, he rests for a second, watching his radar. Quickly checking his map, he sees hes only a few hundred meters from his goal. With a groan, he sets off, feeling like a fox before the hounds.

At last, the small valley is in site. Stumbling, his dented armor smoking, he makes it to the far end of the valley and turns. This is good a spot as any to make a stand. He carefully checks his radar, but there is no sign of friendly troops in the area. He readies his weapon as the DB troops enter the valley.

The DB troops stop as they catch site of Gun, turned to confront them. Thier once pristine armor, now dented and scorched, was sand covered from the chase. They study thier prey, sure of the kill now, but this prey still had teeth. They cautously walk down the valley, but a check of thier own radar shows nothing. Emboldened, they break into a trot...preparing the final charge.

Gun watches his opponents begin the charge...and takes a step back. He drops into a pre-dug hole, dropping out of site. At the same moment, 4 full Pathfinder Teams rip aside the camo covering them and begin to pour fire into the trapped DB troopers. Gun pops back up and adds to the carnage being dumped upon the hapless enemy. Thirty seconds of Hell, and its over. Team members rush out of their cover to strip the downed troops of arms, armor and any items of intelligence value.

Wearily, Gun sits in the sand. MJ and Graydoc both make a beeline for thier leader and begin to address his wounds. Gunfytr keys his commlink.

< Good job >
    Because we said so.

'Ok, the scout prelim should be available in a few days. I'll contact you then.'

Breaking the link, Gun looks up as Beersoldier walks into his office.

'I think we will do well on this Op.'

'Which one?', Beer smirks, 'We have about 4 running'

Motioning for Beer to have a seat, Gun replies, 'This is a new one. You remember that OTAF Reservist? Nadab? He approached me with a potential contract. He and some OTAF 'affiliates' are looking to do a punative raid at the mining facility at 4 Holes.'

'Really?', Beer leans back in the chair, 'What does he want from us?' Beer suddenly sits up, concerned, 'The teams are too busy right now to stage another major Op like that....'

Gun waves him back down, 'Relax, Sarge. Hes looking for a scouting job. Threat analysis, asset locations, patrol patterns, that kind of thing.'

'Hmm...I remember that guy. Retired active duty, reservist now, right? He was a member of the RST?' Beer laughs, 'I heard they have him passing out supplies to recruits. What a waste of talent.'

'I agree,' Gunfytr nodded, 'So much so that I offered him a position with the Pathfinders. As a 'consultant', so he could retain his position in the OTAF.'

'That will work,' Beer says thoughtfully, 'His knowledge of the local politics will be invaluable.'

'Exactly. Plus, hes made veiled comments about his position in the Quartermasters Corp, and assisting us with 'procurement' of items. I have my eye on a few of those new tank armors. If Eels wont cough them up, Ill find a different way.'

'Very nice. So, tell me about the Operation hes come up with. Is this a private venture? Whos funding it?'

Gun grins, 'HE is. But, in light of his new status with us, I'm thinking of doin this one 'on the cuff'. As a matter of fact, I think I'm gonna do the scout myself. Its been awhile since I've done any 'sneek and peek.'

'It'll be good for you,' Beer agreed. 'I'll make sure the react team is awake. When you gonna do this?'

Gun glances at the chrono on his desk. 'No time like tonight. I need to do some more background, but we have the old plans from before the Clans took control of it.'

'Ok, Boss. I think Max's crew has duty tonight. I'll let him know wats up.'

'Ill send them coords before I go. Mind the shop for me.'

((Nadab used with permission))
    Because we said so.

'.....Just a fly on the wall....'

Gunfytr dangles 50 meters from the rocky floor of the crater. Slowly, carefully, he lowered himself towards the ground. His black and grey shrouded form blending almost perfectly with the shadows cast by the warm night. Resting a moment, he watches as Unionist patrols warily watched the 2 conventional roads leading to the mining facility. He laughed quietly to himself. Well meaning rookies. Who in their tactically correct mind would assault from the 2 most obvious directions? Both roads were wide open, with line of sight across the whole complex. Meaning that both access points, while easy to manuever, were death traps.

Reaching the ground, Gun unhooks from the line, and ghosts deeper into the shadows. He had mental notes on things he wanted to check out. Like this unknown machinery near his landing point. It was unguarded, and was not identifiable as processing machinery. Gun wanted to know what it was....he hated mysteries.

Creeping closer, he can see that near the top of the device, was a new opening into the mine. He became conscious of a humming noise, growing louder as he approached. He gazed up at the entrance, 10 meters above him. No senties patrolling this area intrigued him. He bounds upward, aiming for a ledge half-way up the chunk of rock the device sat on. He prepares to land, and is horrified when his feet, and then his whole body, passes thru the rock, as if it wasnt there. With a crunch, he lands on the ground, and straightens up to gaze around him. Well, well, well. Theres no sentries here, because there isnt anything to guard. The whole aparatus was a very clever hologram. More mysteries.

Gunfytr patiently works his way to an observations point he had pick earlier from maps of the area. Pulling out some low-tech binoculars, he begins studying the area. The 4 Holes mining facility had originally been built by OT. But, during a Clan uprising a couple years ago, had been captured by the Clans. It didnt look like much had been changed. A large 4-5 story building for offices, a few stores and worker and guard housing lay in a corner of the crater. He panned his binos around, counting visible guards. Looked like between 18 and 20 guards per shift. Most on the approach to the smelting process, with 4-5 more around the smelter itself. Gun watched chunks of notum coming out of the mine, and travel up a conveyer belt, before dropping into a furnace. Thats the heart of the whole facility. Take out the smelting process, and it all shuts down. Gun can see several technicians move around the facility. They wouldnt effect a military operation.

Moving to the south, Gun takes up another position. 'Where is he?', he muses quietly. There he is. A huge Atrox, walking around the housing area. That was the biggest threat to an assaulting unit. The Foreman ran the security forces assigned the protect the facility. He was a bigg'un, too. Taking him out would be a serious blow. Marking down the coordinates, Gun moves on. Something in an alcove past the smelter catches his eye. Looking closer, its all he can do not to laugh out loud. The Unionists had set up a storage center. Boxes and boxes of material. Guarded by 1 sentry and a chain link fence. Which meant not guarded at all. 'Booooom', He whispers to himself.
    Because we said so.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast