Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acct Deactivation

Acct Deactivation

You have really mucked up good, FC. Merging the servers has cost me a ton of expensive items as I had 8 characters on RK2, and now they are merged with one server. Only being able to activate 8 characters left me no choice but to activate my highest level toons and ignore my low levels from the other server.

Along with this, my bank toons now have unnamed backpacks again and my old preferences are completely lost, but I see there is a way to fix that, unfortunately I dont have the files or information needed to do it. This is something you, the company, should have taken care of to begin with. My apartments have been cleaned out and everything sent to mail, like inventory and bank toons arent enough crap to deal with.

You idiots should have thought this out a lot better than you did. Rushing to merge servers for cost sake or whatever the hell the reason is you did it, was no excuse. Paying customers with multiple accts didnt pay YOU for this crap, and its my belief you should pay us to straighten out YOUR mess. Ive enjoyed over 9 years of great fun here, but now its come to an end and so have the profits you have made off of me. Consider my money a profit for someone else because that is where it will be going. Idiots should never be allowed to muck with technology. They mess it up every damn time.
    ~*~Vamp~*~

Over your nine years of playing imo you should of expected this to happen.

FC also forced you to be angry as well as not read the months of warnings about things that would be happening with the server merge...which was delayed.

having 90 alts really hurts me. Being unable to activate all 14 on my main account hurts some more. As for backpacks? Prefs?

Face it you have to many alts. I activated 8 and so far its appaling, for same reasons you described.

Think of it as marrige, two servers brought toggether and moving to new flat. Everything is in wrong place. But your family now has twice the members with potential for more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michizure View Post
    This'll be fixed for the next patch

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    FC also forced you to be angry as well as not read the months of warnings about things that would be happening with the server merge...which was delayed.
    To be fair, a lot of people don't use the forums or are even aware it exists. All they see is the game launcher and then they zone into game to, you know, play. So in terms of announcements to general population who don't live in forums like we do, I can imagine all this would have come as a shock to them. The more technical and knowledgeable amongst us have backed up prefs, used AOIA to try and maintain bp names, etc because we have been following the forum threads, bitching at FC, etc. A lot of players would never even have known about it other than a message in game launcher a couple of days ago saying that servers were going down to be merged...
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Quote Originally Posted by vampdragos3 View Post
    You have really mucked up good, Rushing to merge servers, YOU HAVE ONLY BEEN ANNOUNCING MERGE FOR OVER 3 MONTHS AND EVEN HAD IT ON TESTSERVER FOR SEVERAL WEEKS TO SIGNAL IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN FOR REAL, Idiots should never be allowed to muck with technology. They mess it up every damn time.
    There I fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    To be fair, a lot of people don't use the forums or are even aware it exists. All they see is the game launcher and then they zone into game to, you know, play. So in terms of announcements to general population who don't live in forums like we do, I can imagine all this would have come as a shock to them. The more technical and knowledgeable amongst us have backed up prefs, used AOIA to try and maintain bp names, etc because we have been following the forum threads, bitching at FC, etc. A lot of players would never even have known about it other than a message in game launcher a couple of days ago saying that servers were going down to be merged...
    This is a valid point, but there are still the launcher announcements and news also. Or heavens sake has this person been in a vacuum for the last few weeks with not a single person talking about this?
    Last edited by Psikie; Feb 28th, 2013 at 02:49:05.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    This is a valid point, but there are still the launcher announcements and news also. Or heavens sake has this person been in a vacuum for the last few weeks with not a single person talking about this?
    That's kinda my point too. I don't recall much information being given out via game launcher or news other than "server merge MAY be happening soon"(and we all know what "soon" means in FC language so everyone took that with a grain of salt) in one of the news and as far as i can recall, nothing was ever mentioned there that people would lose prefs, bp names, etc if they didn't do some prep steps to make it easier to recover post merge. I myself only knew because i read pretty much every post in every thread for past few months, some of that info about prefs was buried several pages into a thread with very little to no confirmation from FC as to what will actually happen. They basically left it up to the playerbase to anticipate what they'd do and left us to our own devices.

Several times, there were calls from multiple people asking for a rooted FAQ about server merge and what would happen, what people needed to do to preserve stuff, etc and for this FAQ to be linked to launcher or game news, which would have made sense and given more exposure to what was about to happen. Did this happen? I think you can guess the answer

Their lack of communication had been poor, to say the least.
    Last edited by cybertron; Feb 28th, 2013 at 04:26:16.
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

FC should call individually each player, send regular mail, buy TV time on major NEWS channels to make every "I give a **** about this game, I am frozen" player hit 4 months ahead time to clear things out!

I was prepared as much as possible - lost nothing, gained plenty. I am sorry that you are pissed of, but face mirror and blame the person in it, not FC.
    I like PvP
    TL6: Tereshkova 200 eng / Patrollerz 200 sol / Tankietka 200 NM enf / Pielegniarka 200 Tank Doc / Oleska 200 SOLIKeep
    TL5: Miazga 150 sol / Piknababa 150 NM Enf 2he / Gigantika 150 NM Enf / Malutki 150 Enf Trox WIP
    TL4: Ladyrazor 112 fixer (retired) / Shha 100 NT / Cycolina lvl 100 NM Enforcer
    + Tons of other chars...
    I make weird TwInkz!
    Signature updated: 29/06/2016

I still find it very odd how many ppl get upset because of deleted prefs. I mean it's not something to be happy about but it's not end of the world.
    Last edited by Scottik; Feb 28th, 2013 at 11:02:44.

Quote Originally Posted by vampdragos3 View Post
    You have really mucked up good, FC. Merging the servers has cost me a ton of expensive items as I had 8 characters on RK2, and now they are merged with one server. Only being able to activate 8 characters left me no choice but to activate my highest level toons and ignore my low levels from the other server.
    Thats entirely your own fault. You could have moved those items to froob chars. What would happen with accounts and chars was no secret.

Along with this, my bank toons now have unnamed backpacks again and my old preferences are completely lost, but I see there is a way to fix that, unfortunately I dont have the files or information needed to do it. This is something you, the company, should have taken care of to begin with. My apartments have been cleaned out and everything sent to mail, like inventory and bank toons arent enough crap to deal with.
    After alot of bitching, I was able to salvage all preferences and the custom GUI on all of my chars without any preperations done beforehand. So can you.

You idiots should have thought this out a lot better than you did. Rushing to merge servers for cost sake or whatever the hell the reason is you did it, was no excuse. Paying customers with multiple accts didnt pay YOU for this crap, and its my belief you should pay us to straighten out YOUR mess. Ive enjoyed over 9 years of great fun here, but now its come to an end and so have the profits you have made off of me. Consider my money a profit for someone else because that is where it will be going. Idiots should never be allowed to muck with technology. They mess it up every damn time.
    Dont let the door hit you on your way out.
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    Yea. If you read the AO facebook page comments you also see people saying things like "they stopped posting development updates more than half a year ago" because they only look at the ao website, which for whatever reason is never updated..
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Yea. If you read the AO facebook page comments you also see people saying things like "they stopped posting development updates more than half a year ago" because they only look at the ao website, which for whatever reason is never updated..
    Which is perhaps an issue that the OP could rightfully take up with FC. As a paying customer his decision not to partake in reading forums should not have resulted in him being entirely uninformed of the mechanics and timing of the server merge.

Though I agree, surprise at anything fc does is a strange reaction from a vet

Perhaps Trion has spoiled me somewhat but I fail to see why FC utterly ignoring the massive disruption to people's setups in terms of UI, chat windows, backpacks and so on is somehow perfectly fine and normal, and how dare anyone ask for a modicum of customer consideration.

It wasn't a complete surprise, the merge having been talked about for a while and the potential issues having been exposed and discussed on the forums for a while. The 12 hours notice from 'Soon' to 'servers down' notwithstanding. It's just this assumption that FC shouldn't have to do anything at all whatsoever in the way of customer service and ease of use when it comes to losing prefs and so on. Not even a little run-once sort of applet that'd copy over the (non-garbage) prefs to the new folders, matching by ID. Or even as part of the patching process. Once again the assumption is that the community would sort it all out and if someone isn't all that adept at unpicking read/write permissions of their AppData folders or using multiple 3rd party tools and scripts from Pastebin, they somehow don't deserve to have anything.

All I'm saying is with this sort of attitude, new blood and old returning vets alike aren't going to find anything resembling a user-friendly experience (or a user-friendly community either). But whatever. We've been sucking it up for years, why change a habit of a decade?

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

idk why everyone's getting their knickers in a twist. took me all of 30 seconds to restore my prefs.

Simple.

Lazy isnt playing AO - AO is playing Lazy.
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

I thought I could use a little change and redone all prefs on all my active chars looking for optimization. It took 1:30m, 5 chars, all prefs done, all macros done, all keybinds, windows, chat configs, everything. Now I'm actually happy I did them manually again
    No biggie
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

Quote Originally Posted by Ophiuchus View Post
    Perhaps Trion has spoiled me somewhat but I fail to see why FC utterly ignoring the massive disruption to people's setups in terms of UI, chat windows, backpacks and so on is somehow perfectly fine and normal, and how dare anyone ask for a modicum of customer consideration.

It wasn't a complete surprise, the merge having been talked about for a while and the potential issues having been exposed and discussed on the forums for a while. The 12 hours notice from 'Soon' to 'servers down' notwithstanding. It's just this assumption that FC shouldn't have to do anything at all whatsoever in the way of customer service and ease of use when it comes to losing prefs and so on. Not even a little run-once sort of applet that'd copy over the (non-garbage) prefs to the new folders, matching by ID. Or even as part of the patching process. Once again the assumption is that the community would sort it all out and if someone isn't all that adept at unpicking read/write permissions of their AppData folders or using multiple 3rd party tools and scripts from Pastebin, they somehow don't deserve to have anything.

All I'm saying is with this sort of attitude, new blood and old returning vets alike aren't going to find anything resembling a user-friendly experience (or a user-friendly community either). But whatever. We've been sucking it up for years, why change a habit of a decade?
    Because we knew it couldn't be otherwise? Because AO is 12 years old and from before anyone did anything that had to do with usability and user experience? Because it wasn't really a big deal for 99% of people? Because new and returning from old times are not affected at all?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Can I have your stuff? I promise to take good care of them untill you return :P
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

You know 100% of your old prefs are still in the original pref location. Who cares about backpack names, it takes all of 10 minutes to name a bank toon's 50 backpacks and you probably need to reopen the backpacks for your AOIA anyways.

That and obviously if the OP is posting IN THE FORUMS he does not exactly have the excuse of "I could not check the forums to know for months ahead of time everything that was going to happen." For those that actually do not know about the forums, anyone who wants to know anything about what is happening will ask "is there any place I can find more information" or even better, when they see people talking about something like a server merge for months they can ask "how did you know about that, where did you hear it?"

People choose to be ignorant.

You people obviously do not have agents as your main. Restoring prefs for my agent is a nightmare with the massive amounts of carefully placed nanos and hotbars. Luckily I was able to find the old file and restore it but I am somewhat computer savvy. Some people are not. They don't want to have to learn either. At the least, FC should have had a way to track the prior character ID and detailed instructions on how to restore those settings, but they didn't, so people are rightfully pissed off, in my opinion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast