Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Neutnet

We are firm because we need to be. We let one person "get away" with a mistake, we have to let everyone, And at that point, whats the point of even have mods? Everyone could just claim their post was a mistake and never have to read the rules or risk a ban. Generally the standard "first ban" time is 3 days. Sometimes we feel it necessary due to the post or past bans to raise that up to and including a permanent ban from neutnet.

And also, the reason neutnet mods seem to have an attitude is when we ban someone we usually take 10 minutes of flack from the person on "how stupid we are" or "how childish we are for banning someone over something so stupid" or the like. People need to understand we are just doing our job, in the way we are told to. Our attitudes with people stem from that constant abuse that puts us in a defensive point of view when people reply to our ban.

Genuine question: are mods allowed a degree of discretion? Eg. if a mod wanted to give a warning to first timers and only ban for a repeat offender, are they allowed to do that?
    :E

Previously no, but recently we were given a warn function. But you must also keep in mind we don't keep a history of bans ingame. We keep that database online so if we are busy, we may just ban you and not worry to check your history against our records. We are players too and sometimes don't have time to check those things.

Okay. Thanks for the answer.
    :E

I dont know. If you are in a position of authority, volunteer or otherwise, it IS your responsibility to do the work involved in checking to see if this person is a newby or repeat offender. If you have the ability to police the community, then dont be a power hungry bot nazi. I have been all for warnings for first time offenders because we all make simple mistakes.

But then again, this is also a game and those in that position of authority will just complain how "I cant be arsed to do all that work it takes away from my me time, I just go the quick ban route because its easy and I am lazy lololol".

Quote Originally Posted by MachSchau View Post
    I dont know. If you are in a position of authority, volunteer or otherwise, it IS your responsibility to do the work involved in checking to see if this person is a newby or repeat offender. If you have the ability to police the community, then dont be a power hungry bot nazi. I have been all for warnings for first time offenders because we all make simple mistakes.

But then again, this is also a game and those in that position of authority will just complain how "I cant be arsed to do all that work it takes away from my me time, I just go the quick ban route because its easy and I am lazy lololol".
    Exactly this, i have been banned on chars that im lvling where i post f. eks wtb in the wrong section and got banned the first time, so it IS very important to do the research, if u DONT have time to check send the person a tell explaining what he/she did wrong instead of just slapping the ban hammer, a few words go a long way.
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

Really, a 3 day ban from neutnet, is that really going to hurt you?
    Fixit69 Opi Fixer 220/30/70
    Biggmac Atrox Enf 220/30/70
    Olchfa Solitus Soldier 150/20/36
    Dicdoc Solitus Doctor 220/30/70
    Proud President of aTrox Caelestis
    Quote Originally Posted by Racatti View Post
    I have no probs admitting when I'm wrong, it just doesn't happen that often

It isn't the ban itself, it is the quick step to banning, the whole shoot first and ask questions later mentality. It irks people.

Think of it this way, in the real world when you get in trouble at your job for a minor offense there is usually a verbal warning, then a written warning (for the same repetitive behavior), suspension and/or firing (for the same repetitive behavior). How would someone feel if for their first minor offense they were suspended or fired? Probably not happy.

Not to mention, this is a mass messaging bot. Is it such a big deal to accidentally post in the wrong channel when it belongs in a different channel? Is that sort of error so grand that it breaks the game and causes mass amounts of chaos? Or maybe posting a message that the bot doesn't allow, like lft messages in the pvm channel?

And please dont use the excuse of, "Well it just puts more stress on the bot with useless messages that shouldn't be in said channel or not posted at all" the bot is in constant use and the extra time one has to wait to see their message is so minute its nothing to worry about. It is one thing to post vulgar and accusing messages or general spam messaging (IE people using the bot to send messages to one another instead of using /tell) and for those instances a ban is well deserved. However, for simple mistakes as mentioned a warning and perhaps a mass messaging telling people "dont do XYZ" is far more appropriate than banning people on the spot.

It is really the only way to treat people exactly the same way. Since there are multiple mods, it is very hard to figure out what should be a warning, who has been warned and so on. I don't think it's any better to warn guy and ban another for the same reason...which would be the consequence of using mods judgement. That is the main reason I've told mods to ban. Besides...how hard is it really to follow the rules? Out of all the messages going through, it's not that many that gets banned. All in all it gives less useless spam, which I think most people actually appreciate.
    ***Zacix***
    President
    of
    ***Underworld***
    Equipment

"It's widely believed that Jesus was Chuck Norris' stunt double for crucifixion due to the fact that it is impossible for nails to pierce Chuck Norris' skin."

Remove the mods names from bans?

WhyCantWe "Belp" BeFriends
    Hate "Belph" Shade
    "Belph0" Mk2
    Care "Calming" Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
    I think your cute <3

if u realise u make a mistake in posts on neutnet just contact admin of it and just say look i made a mistake they may not ban u or maybe ban u for shorter time as u went to them soon as u realised u did a post wrong or somthing ( just idea ^_^ )

So what you're saying is that instead of individual characters taking the time to read/follow the rules, you'd rather that the mods do all the work instead? Why should others suffer because one cant be bothered to follow rules? Neutnet is a free player-run service, no one owes it to the players to do extra work for them to see if its a first timer or perpetual rule breaker

If its a first time mistake, players will probably get banned for what,3 days? Hardly a game breaking limitation. Instead of thinking of the ban as the end result, think of the temp 3 day ban as a warning that you will get perma-banned if you keep breaking the rules.
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

The self-entitlement in this thread makes me sad.

I make bot. I set rules. You use bot, you follow rules.

So easy a caveman could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    So what you're saying is that instead of individual characters taking the time to read/follow the rules, you'd rather that the mods do all the work instead? Why should others suffer because one cant be bothered to follow rules? Neutnet is a free player-run service, no one owes it to the players to do extra work for them to see if its a first timer or perpetual rule breaker

If its a first time mistake, players will probably get banned for what,3 days? Hardly a game breaking limitation. Instead of thinking of the ban as the end result, think of the temp 3 day ban as a warning that you will get perma-banned if you keep breaking the rules.
    Thing is most of the mods (or atleast the mods that ran it while i was using it on rk2) were douches, entire quetzalcoatl was banned by a mod because of some beaf with his/hers org. And i heard from alot of other ppl who got banned either temp or perm for petty little things. And when u get constaly banned for petty things you get pretty sick and u stop using it, like me and lots and lots of other people did, again i dont know if this is still the case since i still dont use it. They should really get some better mods unless they already did, then this post is invalid <3
    Last edited by Burgly; Mar 21st, 2013 at 16:57:53.
    RK
    Roxburry 220/30/70 Cratz0r
    Roxbury 220/25/70 Shadez0r
    Bolrn 220/27/70 Mpz0r
    Arrow83 220/27/70 Solz0r

Quote Originally Posted by Elithas View Post
    The self-entitlement in this thread makes me sad.

I make bot. I set rules. You use bot, you follow rules.

So easy a caveman could do it.
    this. if you don't like the bot's rules, use the other bot.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgly View Post
    Thing is most of the mods (or atleast the mods that ran it while i was using it on rk2) were douches, entire quetzalcoatl was banned by a mod because of some beaf with his/hers org. And i heard from alot of other ppl who got banned either temp or perm for petty little things. And when u get constaly banned for petty things you get pretty sick and u stop using it, like me and lots and lots of other people did, again i dont know if this is still the case since i still dont use it. They should really get some better mods unless they already did, then this post is invalid <3
    I can vouch for mods abusing power. One mod really hated me and we got into an argument one day that started in tells. I then logged off then the next day I find that I am banned on that toon. After 3 days or so I get a message from another mod saying "I have unbanned you but I dont know why you were banned in the first place".

Quote Originally Posted by Burgly View Post
    I don't know the history or the facts of how entire quetzalcoatl org was banned, so I'm going to guess. Please enlighten/correct me if I'm wrong. As far as I know, there's no "Ban Org" function in neutnet(could be wrong though), so unless a mod went through entire org member list in auno and banned one by one, I don't even know how this could be done. That would seem pretty hardcore to do though. Or was the sequence of events that unfolded 1) someone from quetz broke one of the rules in NN, so got banned, then 2) others from quetz/friends started posting stuff in NN alluding to the fact that the mods were douches because of that ban and then 3) all those who posted got banned? That sequence is something that I've seen happen often enough, and if it happened like that, then I've got no issue with that as that kind of stuff shouldn't be resolved in NN spam anyway. If it didn't happen that way, and a mod was powertripping legitimately, then that should have been reported and looked into, send a PM to Zacix or something to that effect. I know Zacix to be quite a fair person, to the extent I doubt he would bend rules for friends/orgmates.

Also, when you say you know others who got temp or perma banned for "petty little things"...what are these petty little things? And who's determining them to be "petty"? If its against the rules, petty or not, they're against the rules. Just because someone decides a particular rule is petty doesn't mean they can just ignore the rules. I know of lots of people who have got banned for something and then threw a hissyfit because of it, when I ask what they did, almost 100% of the time, it was for breaking one of the rules and they thought the rule was petty so they didn't deserve to be banned. At that point, its not their call whether it's petty or not, they have either broken a rule or they've followed rules.
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

I can vouch for mods abusing power. One mod really hated me and we got into an argument one day that started in tells. I then logged off then the next day I find that I am banned on that toon. After 3 days or so I get a message from another mod saying "I have unbanned you but I dont know why you were banned in the first place".
    I got logs 5 years back...send me the name of persons involved, and I'll look into it. I've no interest in having mods abusing powers.

That being said, when these sort of accusations come up, it's more often that the people banned just simply don't agree with rules, interpret them differently and so on. In the end mods are working on behalf of me, and while most people tend to think of the mods being *******s, it's in fact me you should point fingers at. Don't shoot the messenger you know.

Edit. In general I find mods to be 100% fair in terms of moderating according to the rules. I know for sure they ban their own orgmembers if they need to. And there's no "ban org" function. I do actually strive to get things right and banning a whole org is by no way fair unless every single person in the org has broken a rule.
    Last edited by TheJackal; Mar 22nd, 2013 at 09:59:43.
    ***Zacix***
    President
    of
    ***Underworld***
    Equipment

"It's widely believed that Jesus was Chuck Norris' stunt double for crucifixion due to the fact that it is impossible for nails to pierce Chuck Norris' skin."

The guy who banned me left years ago. So no worries.

The irony presented in this thread from all sides is quite amusing.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast