Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old to new Prefs

Well not sure why this change was needed but it sure made a mess of things, my agent that is my first char with 10 full hotbars will be a fun project to try to get back in working order.

And i see i got mails from funcom about apartment contents but trying to open them seem to do a kill -9 on the game that dies less graceful
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer

The change was needed due to reseting the Char IDs to start from 1 again to support a clean merge (as chars from RK1, RK2, & RK3 could have shared the same Char ID as it's server independant).

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy View Post
    aye Oh man, I really don't want to spend the next 2 days setting up 4 accounts worth of prefs...
    You're one of the lucky ones.
    I have 11 accts.
    The mind is like a parachute.
    It works best when it's open.

When they first said that the merger was getting close (months ago), I made a spreadsheet list of all 50+ of my toons with their character IDs so I could copy over my prefs post merge.

I logged in today, ready to go through the task of getting toons activated, making note of their new char ID and getting prefs folders moved. Step 2 of the process was going to be renaming all of my bags. I love AO..I really do but I just can't be bothered to do that on 50+ toons. The mere thought of having to go through all of that (renaming all of my bags again for AOIA/organization purposes) was enough to make me log off and turn WoW back on.

And we still don't know how many char slots we're getting so.. how does one know which characters to even activate on their accounts or how to go about organizing things? I guess my desire to play was trumped by the hours/days it is going to take me to get my accounts fixed.

GJ Funcom.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

I like that you need these chars right now, instantly, all 50 of them. And that you're going to be spending time doing it for all of them, at one time, instantly. Instead of just waiting for whenever you want to play that char. Man what a luxury problem.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    I like that you need these chars right now, instantly, all 50 of them. And that you're going to be spending time doing it for all of them, at one time, instantly. Instead of just waiting for whenever you want to play that char. Man what a luxury problem.
    I know I should be able to by now, but I can't always tell when you're joking or not so I'll just respond seriously. If it was a joke then just chalk it up to me missing it this time.

After playing AO since early 2004 I have a crapton of items all over the place. I've never needed to worry if my item X was on one toon or the other because I always (even pre-AOIA and pre-backpack naming) had some sort of convention to how I organized things. Before we could name our backpacks I had a system where, on my 2 froob accounts, I made toons to hold specific items and then used backpack types to differentiate on contents. Once backpack naming came out, I threw that system away because well.. I could name the packs. And then when I discovered AOIA the whole bank toon need was obsolete (except that I had so much stuff that it couldn't fit on just my 3 paid accounts reasonably).

That being said, no, I don't need all 50 toons right this minute. But my personality is such that I like to be organized and the aggravation of not being able to easily find the things I want (as I always could) would actually contribute to a negative gameplay experience. While I understand that it might not bother you (or some others) it would bother the heck out of me. So, as mentioned in another thread, I am just going to come back when I have the days to get my stuff in order.. more than likely that'll coincide with whenever funcom comes out with something new and shiny like the engine or new player experience to at least give me some added motivation to go through that organization nightmare.

And though this is being repetitive I want to restate, I get that it might not bother you at all... but it does bother me and figured I'd post just so they'd know that at least 1 person wasn't impressed with their performance with this merge.
    Events by Jill is a premier event planning organization. We organize events such as scavenger hunts, educational seminars, tours, raids and social gatherings.

"If it's an Event by Jill.. you know it's done right!"

Quote Originally Posted by adeptall View Post
    Yeah and all my chat logs seem to be ancient, i dont seem to have any logs from anything recent that i know ive played on.
    Forget the chatlogs, use the auno nano lists to get your old char ID.

As for the new char ID, just use shift+F9
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post

What exactly do you mean by that?

Thanks to everyone for their advice. It made it easy to transfer over my customized prefs. Now on to renaming the BPs

Also interested to know...
    Varsbot
    Variable004

@Jill
    I know this won't fix all your problems and get things back to how they were, but consider just naming all backpacks numbers (or something else) and use AOIA to find what you're looking for. I'm sure you use AOIA anyway, so this way you get back in to the action with as limited fuzz as possible. At least that's what I'm planning on doing. My only real concern was the hotbars and chat windows, and it worked perfectly just copying the old content into the new pref folders.
    Why play melee when crat pets can do your job?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyldebeast View Post
    Simple, why the melee hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    ...Melee people/pets are needed...

Quote Originally Posted by Snakebite View Post

Bump for using Auno nano ID for those that don't have chat logging turned on! Even if you have 2 toons of the same prof and level/setup, it will at least help you narrow it down.
    Pieman - 220/30/68 - Pistol Cratteh
    Notumlord - 220/30/67 - Nuke em good!
    Stilet - 220/19/60 - MP Buff Stick

Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Shift-f9 tells you your charID also, easy way to get your new one.
    If FC had told us this like...maybe...more than 24 hours before the merge happened, NO ONE WOULD HAVE A ****ING PROBLEM.

Funcom is inept. Seriously. You guys are hoooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrriblyy irresponsible.

If FC had just informed everyone that you can EASILY get current charID's and write them down to match them from old prefs folder to new one, no one would have any confusion or reason to be confused after reading the post that told them to do that. Seriously. You HAVE to be kidding me.

Quote Originally Posted by Borsky View Post
    If FC had told us this like...maybe...more than 24 hours before the merge happened, NO ONE WOULD HAVE A ****ING PROBLEM.

Funcom is inept. Seriously. You guys are hoooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrriblyy irresponsible.

If FC had just informed everyone that you can EASILY get current charID's and write them down to match them from old prefs folder to new one, no one would have any confusion or reason to be confused after reading the post that told them to do that. Seriously. You HAVE to be kidding me.

This.

Quote Originally Posted by borsky View Post
    if fc had told us this like...maybe...more than 24 hours before the merge happened, no one would have a ****ing problem.

If fc had just informed everyone that you can easily get current charid's and write them down to match them from old prefs folder to new one, no one would have any confusion or reason to be confused after reading the post that told them to do that. Seriously. You have to be kidding me.

...+1
    Based God.

o.k so a partial alternative to all of this what i basically did was to bring up my old folder containing my account names in one window and the new version in another window. I went into an account on both and then just began at the top and started transferring prefs over and logging the toon on to see if I got it right lol.

The first two times the interface looked all jacked up and then I hit it on the third try on this first round of transfers.

This is annoying I must admit and you might want to !notify off on your org bot (if it's working yet) as you'll spam up the place with logon messages. But it seems to be working in the end. You start with a 1 in 8 chance of getting it correct first time haha, but at least the odds get better as you go!

Of course I also ended up copying over the entire contents of the Chars old is folder (Browser folder, Chat folder, iconpositions.bin and so on).

Anyway, for me it was still faster than redoing my interfaces as I'm quite anal about having things just so

I have to admit, ~3.5-4 hours resting the chat, bags and hot bars on 36 toons wasn't fun, but it wasn't awful either. I do chat windows/gui first and then set my hot bars as I fly to and from the tower daily.

What does piss me off is that now the GMI only eats^H^H^H^H lets me deposit my money and I can't make any withdraws or search.

Funcom once again lives up to its reputation as the most inept game company to date. There is the right way and the easy way, funcom will always takes the easy way at the players expense. Ao has an enormous item database. The game has players with ten plus years of items and abilities collected. Funcom erases all this with a server merge. They just don't care as long as its easier for them. Pathetic Amateurs.

Yes, the worst company ever. Next they'll tell us they're going to be nerfing things too. Nerfing! How dare they even consider nerfing what we worked so hard for all these years!
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Eventsbyjill View Post
    When they first said that the merger was getting close (months ago), I made a spreadsheet list of all 50+ of my toons with their character IDs so I could copy over my prefs post merge.

I logged in today, ready to go through the task of getting toons activated, making note of their new char ID and getting prefs folders moved. Step 2 of the process was going to be renaming all of my bags. I love AO..I really do but I just can't be bothered to do that on 50+ toons. The mere thought of having to go through all of that (renaming all of my bags again for AOIA/organization purposes) was enough to make me log off and turn WoW back on.

And we still don't know how many char slots we're getting so.. how does one know which characters to even activate on their accounts or how to go about organizing things? I guess my desire to play was trumped by the hours/days it is going to take me to get my accounts fixed.

GJ Funcom.
    I agree my self to almost every thing above - i wont play Wow , but there is so many games i play besides AO.
    I have played AO since beta 3 , with 4 paye'd account (since the release) and 4 froob account and all of em was filled with chars (both server 1 and 2) ...... i did write down the old ID so i could transer some part but when i have to re-do all my packpacks to and some other stuff - i did just lost my interst in AO , i can always hope im getting it back. ..... But u never know ....

I could understand the Char ID - but not the back pack name or the prefs hotbars and other stuff....

Way to go FC as usual
    Quee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast