Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Petition to remove the new mouse Cursors.

The explanation for new cursor was "To flatten the learning curve" The game is not hard to learn to play and the new cursor will not make it easier. Bring back our old, familiar cursor please! Or atleast make it optional to be able to use old cursor!

/Signed
    Just another dude playing female toons!

Not hard? granted i started long ago when things were much different, but man i jacked up my first toon something horrible.

There does not need to be a petition. Remove it period. It's ugly and messy. if you like though the center part of the mouse has colors to it. Keep that but remove this other crap that is like naked dude humping something and pokemon balls.

Quote Originally Posted by Kane-Hart View Post
    There does not need to be a petition. Remove it period. It's ugly and messy. if you like though the center part of the mouse has colors to it. Keep that but remove this other crap that is like naked dude humping something and pokemon balls.
    I think there is a setting option where you can tone all the stuff down

Quote Originally Posted by Shalex View Post
    I think there is a setting option where you can tone all the stuff down
    As has been said, you are then left with a small, gray cursor that is almost impossible to find on the screen. The cursor itself is fine for style, just needs to be scalable and change the color to something easier to distinguish from the background.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

After a couple of days with the new cursors, I no longer notice them.

At first, I was wondering what those strange pictures next to the cursors were supposed to mean, and I still don't "get" most of them.
    So, regarding the iconography they are failures of titanic proportions, but at the same time they are subtle enough so my mind can fade them out.
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

I can't tell what any of the icons are supposed to be either. And I'm bad with colors so I can't really tell what the changing colors inside the cursor are supposed to signify. I'd just really prefer it if they reverted back to the old cursor, as I found it far more user-friendly. Ironic I guess, considering their intention for the new one was to increase user-friendliness. I don't think it had the intended effect at all.
    Mcbtj 220/30/70 Adv
    Mcbtk 220/30/70 Fixer
    Syntactician 220/23/70 Doc
    Clyptica 170/24/42 NT
    Fluffydeer 60/6/14 Enf
    SPIRIT

I'm not sure these were thought out very well. The additional art that hangs off the side of the Item Hover cursor will always block the name in the hover text of a backpack in the bank, if not the entire name if it is short.

http://i.imgur.com/mTE4WyE.png?1?9472

Not everyone likes sorting banks by list mode.

Quick question for custom GUI users. What happens during patches? Do the authors/users recompile their GUIs after every patch, or just let them be? Like this patch now, how do I know if recompiling needed? Log in and see if I crash?

Also bump for old cursor option. I got the old one back by making custom GUI but this is kinda ridiculous work just to maintain normal user experience.

I'am one of those who like old ones more... Well, But I think I'll live if old new ones are here to stay. Even so would be good to have option to change between new and old.

I'm surprised this was not fixed in the last patch. Most of us seem to want it gone yet they don't seem to care much. Then again how often do they post... Seems like everyone who works for Funcom who is out of a job are the only ones who actually are loyal and spend time with this community in communication.

"Detailed" "Simple" and "None" on mouse context clues. I didn't investigate every one, but "Simple" appears to be the old cursors. "Detailed" the new ones, and "None" is nothing but the pointer at all times.

Which seems to leave this issue resolved, so I'll leave the thread open a bit longer to make sure people have put down the pitchforks.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    "Detailed" "Simple" and "None" on mouse context clues. I didn't investigate every one, but "Simple" appears to be the old cursors. "Detailed" the new ones, and "None" is nothing but the pointer at all times.

Which seems to leave this issue resolved, so I'll leave the thread open a bit longer to make sure people have put down the pitchforks.
    Not ingame atm, but if I remember right: Detailed and simple mean extra stuff on right side of cursor. None means cursor wont change image when hovering over something, only change is tiny area in the center of it changing color slightly - something you are 100% sure to not see in raids or any crowded area. Which is kinda what people have been saying in this thread for a good 5 pages now

So no, what you say does not fix anything (unless latest patch changed things - havent had time to test). There is no way to get old behaviour back without resorting to making custom GUI like I did. Please don't close the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Freor View Post
    Not ingame atm, but if I remember right: Detailed and simple mean extra stuff on right side of cursor. None means cursor wont change image when hovering over something, only change is tiny area in the center of it changing color slightly - something you are 100% sure to not see in raids or any crowded area. Which is kinda what people have been saying in this thread for a good 5 pages now

So no, what you say does not fix anything (unless latest patch changed things - havent had time to test). There is no way to get old behaviour back without resorting to making custom GUI like I did. Please don't close the thread.
    The Simple only adds the old "use" action, and not the rest of everything, was my point. I don't know if all three options existed in this particular forum before this particular patch, because I didn't take the time to go through all of them just then. I would suspect that the Simple variety is as close to the old ones as is going to happen, given vhab's previous comments about the subject.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    Aesthetics aside, the new cursors actually pack a lot more information, aimed especially at new users who were confused between right click and left click actions.

You should note the inner part of the cursor changes color. This part is aware of your target's alignment and/or pvp/tower flag.

The reason the cursor itself doesn't change based on the target action is because certain targets may have different left and right click actions.
    For example, hold ctrl or shift while hovering certain targets, you may end up receiving 2 additional icons.

As we did consider the 2 icon and mouse button indicated might be too much clutter for veteran users, we added settings to reduce the amount of information shown.

As for the aesthetics, I expect someone will reskin them for your particular taste.
    An unfortunate truth in anything we change is that some people will simply prefer the old.
    I really like the idea behind it but what exactly stops you from making the cursor: 1) bigger (scalable) 2) with different color and changing those icons to something more visible? It doesn't seems like too much trouble as it would require changing few letters in the code.
    Kotty • Drush • Guzzler • Farminator

I do like how the new cursor will be red in center when a mob is dead but you are UN able to loot for a few seconds. It turns green (or is it blue?) when you can click and loot.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    The Simple only adds the old "use" action, and not the rest of everything, was my point. I don't know if all three options existed in this particular forum before this particular patch, because I didn't take the time to go through all of them just then. I would suspect that the Simple variety is as close to the old ones as is going to happen, given vhab's previous comments about the subject.
    The 3 levels of selectability are there - but removing all animation leaves just a small, gray cursor that is quite hard to find in many instances of this game. I am really not a big fan of "Wheres Waldo" while playing a game.

We need at least two more things available from within the game - 1)scalability and 2)color change. I know that several folks have worked out changes within the GUI or within the other skins, but this really should be a funtion of the game and not third-party changes.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Funcom employee

We will not implement scaling at least. The GUI works with 1 to 1 mapping of pixels in the image to the screen. Scaling will look horrible.
    Nor was the old cursor bigger than this.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    We will not implement scaling at least. The GUI works with 1 to 1 mapping of pixels in the image to the screen. Scaling will look horrible.
    Nor was the old cursor bigger than this.
    Would you be willing to reconsider the old cursor states at least? Pretty please? And also, any chance to alter the behaviour a little bit: Make the mouseover-matching of different cursor states base on the center of their images, not top left corner. This way arrow could switch to crosshair without "going off" etc, while it would have no effect on changes between similar shapes.

@Anarrina: While I dont want to discuss moderation for obvious reasons () this is a change directly related to 18.6 and has (mostly) stayed on topic. There was a similar one about the planned wiping of HUD3 devices and player feedback actually made the devs change their plans. Please don't lock feedback/"whine" threads like this even if initial dev response is a "no".

Funcom employee

Changing the offsets will break the current cursor behavior.
    The color changes are not the same states as the old cursors had.
    Thus replacing those with the old cursors does not lead to the same behavior.

I'm personally quite satisfied with the new behavior and the main concern seems to be regarding the aesthetics.
    The old behavior actually was inconsistent and in several cases just wrong.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast