Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Petition to remove the new mouse Cursors.

I am all down for new cursors but the current ones are just weird. Instead of using static icon next to mouse cursor you should make it animated. Main AO logo would make perfect mouse cursor for this purpose imo. It could flip over, split apart, change color etc. when it runs over items or players to give you a hint. It doesn't need to tell you exactly what it does. Not like those barely noticeble icons help much...

Quote Originally Posted by Eventsbyjill View Post
    Agreed, the first thing I asked when I logged in was "WTH is wrong with my cursor?". It is very annoying and it would be nice to have an option to go back to the old. That being said, I'm sure people that stick around will eventually get used to it.
    F10 - Mouse Cursor Context Hints

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

If you consider this new cursor a problem, your life must be easy.
    Procrastinate Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizaka View Post
    F10 - Mouse Cursor Context Hints
    That isnt the old cursor though - it only removes the extra stuff, which means you have only static gray cursor left, which looks the same no matter what's under it.

All in all, I fail to see how having the (new) cursor + some small extra images on its side is better than old cursor that changed (entirely) depending on background. If some people like the new one, thats fine - but as it appears great many do not, would really love FC to give us the old one back as an option - can't be that hard to do.

Quote Originally Posted by RemodCrat View Post
    Trade person looks like a Guy having sex with a blowup and two Pokeballs below him

/Would like old icons back
    They're not pokeballs, it's a novelty blowup sheep...

To be honest, I thought it was a strange pic of someone on some sort of bike, I couldn't figure out what it was meant to be..!
    A new light shines upon Rubi-Ka,A new channel is opened in the grid feed,
    A new Team dedicated to the distribution of knowledge is formed.
    >>> AO-Universe <<<
    For the People, By the People.

/signed
    Contra
    Urynt
    Malraux
    Fontane
    Critbull
    Cleanex
    Fontane2

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    It's SO ANNOYING! MAN it was the last straw!
    You know there are people who would prefer to not have an cursor icon that adds nothing to the game - and detracts fromit as it changes from location to location. There are also people who have visual/eye sight concerns and would like the ability to change to something more easily viewed.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

there's a new cursor?

Would really like the old one back. Ended up trading with some random guy @ OAG multiple times last night, as I couldnt see properly which toon I'm actually targeting. Same when entering grid - somehow the click target kept going to some person instead of grid statue, and again couldnt see properly who/what I was targeting. It's stupid to have the actual cursor over something and then having to watch next to it to see what clicking is about to do.

Masta: If the cursor really feels so tiny for you, you should understand how hard it is now to use for those of us that actually try to target stuff with it. Not only do you have to try and see where the actual cursor is, but also now look next to it to see what even more tinier funny arrows/things there are, trying to describe what you can do by clicking. Thanks for the bounding boxes reminder though - had totally forgot that and it should help a little, though wont help with the cursor itself.

Anyway, if the cursor is good as it is for you, fine. Posting that is fine. But i just can't see why you (and some others) regularly jump in threads like these to bash others for trying to ask small improvements. Going with the usual "OMG sky is falling, fix this naow" crap. In many cases it's the small things that make all the difference. Google "a thousand papercuts" for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Freor View Post
    Masta: If the cursor really feels so tiny for you, you should understand how hard it is now to use for those of us that actually try to target stuff with it. Not only do you have to try and see where the actual cursor is, but also now look next to it to see what even more tinier funny arrows/things there are, trying to describe what you can do by clicking. Thanks for the bounding boxes reminder though - had totally forgot that and it should help a little, though wont help with the cursor itself.

Anyway, if the cursor is good as it is for you, fine. Posting that is fine. But i just can't see why you (and some others) regularly jump in threads like these to bash others for trying to ask small improvements. Going with the usual "OMG sky is falling, fix this naow" crap. In many cases it's the small things that make all the difference. Google "a thousand papercuts" for example.
    Did I say I don't? I know perfectly well how it's hard to click stuff with a cursor you can hardly see. But then, my monitor is special, yours probably isn't, so it'll be a lot bigger. Why you'd need to look at those icons at all is beyond me anyway, since if you manage to find the cursor you can probably see what it's above.

I just want a bigger cursor. But it's not the end of the world that I don't have it.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I'd much prefer to have the old cursor back as well. It's not a huge deal but I think the main thing I miss is how the cursor itself used to change depending on what you held it over, like the cog wheel for grid, the crosshair target for selecting a player or npc, etc. Simply another case of fixing what wasn't broken.
    Mcbtj 220/30/70 Adv
    Mcbtk 220/30/70 Fixer
    Syntactician 220/23/70 Doc
    Clyptica 170/24/42 NT
    Fluffydeer 60/6/14 Enf
    SPIRIT

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Why you'd need to look at those icons at all is beyond me anyway, since if you manage to find the cursor you can probably see what it's above.
    Because (after i remove those damn bounding boxes tonite) it's a matter of 1 pixel whether you are trying to click ground or call the running omni between 100 leets. Matter of clicking the tiny quest item on the ground or the ground itself. Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by EmSeeBee View Post
    <snip> the main thing I miss is how the cursor itself used to change depending on what you held it over, like the cog wheel for grid, the crosshair target for selecting a player or npc, etc. Simply another case of fixing what wasn't broken.
    Exactly!

Well, previously you had a cursor where the whole thing changed and that would be more inaccurate than what you have now, where the actual pointing part of it remains the same

You don't need to look at an icon or a changed cursor to see that your cursor is now hovering over the desired target.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

The cursors are stored in the graphics file iirc? So I'd expect some options from the custom GUI builders soon...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

ndGUI has new cursors, but I guess I could just make my own. Excellent idea!
    The Red Brotherhood

Funcom employee

Aesthetics aside, the new cursors actually pack a lot more information, aimed especially at new users who were confused between right click and left click actions.

You should note the inner part of the cursor changes color. This part is aware of your target's alignment and/or pvp/tower flag.

The reason the cursor itself doesn't change based on the target action is because certain targets may have different left and right click actions.
    For example, hold ctrl or shift while hovering certain targets, you may end up receiving 2 additional icons.

As we did consider the 2 icon and mouse button indicated might be too much clutter for veteran users, we added settings to reduce the amount of information shown.

As for the aesthetics, I expect someone will reskin them for your particular taste.
    An unfortunate truth in anything we change is that some people will simply prefer the old.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    An unfortunate truth in anything we change is that some people will simply prefer the old.
    So, even knowing it, why not leave it as option? Does not need to be default option either, but I am having hard time thinking how much trouble 2 or 3 sets of cursors really are, since the old ones are made there already. Or did you rewrite half of the client just to add new cursors?
    Mireiawen Rose, 215/30/70 neut fixer, setup RK2
    Mireiwen Rose, 220/27/62 neut MA trader/tradeskiller, setup RK2
    Miraiwen Rose, 220/30/70 neut SMG soldier, setup RK2
    Miraeawen Rose, 220/27/70 neut MP, setup RK2
    Mireiaieawen Rose, 220/30/69 neut tank, RK2
    +bunch of others in Rose family...

President of Neutral Warriors | Neutnet mod | Mireiawen.net

Got superior pewpew or nerfbat? But it looks ugly, or you are just plain bored with everyone going around with same? Bump for Weapon Remodeling and get your unique looks!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Mireiawen View Post
    So, even knowing it, why not leave it as option? Does not need to be default option either, but I am having hard time thinking how much trouble 2 or 3 sets of cursors really are, since the old ones are made there already. Or did you rewrite half of the client just to add new cursors?
    It's impractical and too time consuming to maintain a client while dragging along legacy features.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

So it's possible to change the cursor by modding something? Could the more experienced modders make a mod that changes nothing else but the cursor to what it used to be? Pretty please?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast