Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it so hard to keep the prefs, FC?

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Only 3 accounts here, but the thought of having to re-do all of that some day.... sigh

Does not make it any easier returning to AO for sure
    pretty much this

Shadow Atlantians

= Tikra :: 220 Advy (Inf Hater) | Inevitable :: 220 Crat (Hunting stuffz) | Gotnobuffs :: 210 MP (TS Totem) | Atlantiana :: 200 Solja (Clueless Blondie) =
    = Unabletonuke :: 160 NT (Kitehill Victim) | Aliumeater :: 150 MA (S10 Citizen) | Canhazcalms :: 100 Froob Crat (Foremans Slave) | Canhazbaffs :: 163 Froob Agent (Buffbox) =

PVM all the way

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    No. Nothing other than "it's intentional" and that the hud items stuff was not intentional. Might just be something that is borked because the unlock XP numbers were different pr. server, so they will have to reset it back and forth for the new server.
    Did FC actually confirm somewhere that the HUD items reset was not intentional? I've only seen one post where they confirmed global research reset was intentional but no followup since then. Ofc i could have missed the relevant post about unintentional HUD item reset in the mish mash of FC official posts on the matter
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    Did FC actually confirm somewhere that the HUD items reset was not intentional? I've only seen one post where they confirmed global research reset was intentional but no followup since then. Ofc i could have missed the relevant post about unintentional HUD item reset in the mish mash of FC official posts on the matter
    In a chat. Dunno why noone would come out and say that it's either this or that or why. The only reason I can think of is that the numbers were different pr. server when LE launched and merging them not possible, requiring the reset.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I just took a screenshot on every character to ensure I get it all the way I have it now, won't take to long on each character that way

As for backpacks, that will be a bit more annoying, but it's not like you have to do it all at once, I'm sure fixing things up while you're lft or just chatting shouldn't be that much of a hassle. Open pack, check contents, name properly, repeat ^^
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

Prefs aren't being broken per se any more than any other patch when they mess with actual GUI features. It's just that all the container IDs are getting changed when they're copied to the new server.

Quote Originally Posted by byteflush View Post
    I still do not understand why "prefs" aren't stored somewhere server-side. Yeah, legacy code, sure...
    Legacy what? No other game does this either.

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    also by copying anything you might get loads of deprecated junk interfering and slowing down the game.

if devs wants to clean up old junk, they propably have a good reason. and by modifying game files & data, you may put your system at risk where it might not work optimally.
    That's not really how it works, but whatever. Great. You've warned us. We know what we're doing (even if you don't). Now go away.
    Last edited by MajorOutage; Feb 7th, 2013 at 01:35:07.
    Because Race Yalm

Quote Originally Posted by MajorOutage View Post
    No other game does this either.
    City of Heroes saved window sizes & positions, hotbar contents & layouts and chat configuration server-side.
    You only needed to do re-adjustments when you switched resolutions, because window sizes were absolute and things nicely placed in a 1920x1200 resolution wouldn't really fit into 800x600
    But you could completely re-install the game and find everything as you left it..

And there are other games that save at least some information about your GUI server side. Last time I played WoW, the abilities placed in the various hotbar slots were saved server-side.

Regarding an automatic conversion for the AO preferences ... yeah, I'd like one. I came back to AO four months ago and sorting everything out was unpleasant.

If the pre-merge information is conserved in the migration and each char and bag retains its old ID as additional information, it should be easy to detect when a char logs in for the first time (no "new" prefs exist) and then ask the user if the game should try to convert the old prefs if there are any.

That would be nice for the user^H^H^H^Hcustomer.
    No further significant work is expected to be done on this project going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Bendaar View Post
    City of Heroes saved window sizes & positions, hotbar contents & layouts and chat configuration server-side.
    Wasn't CoH canceled last year?

Not sure how to take an example, from a game which was terminated. {Edited by Haquihana - Innapropriate}
    Last edited by Haquihana; Feb 8th, 2013 at 17:42:06. Reason: Innapropriate
    Twitch Channel - Youtube Channel - Twitter - Facebook - Pinterest
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO Fansite Worldwide - Site Founder (Retired). | AOSpeak - Unofficial AO Teamspeak 3 Server - Founder (Retired). | AO Recipebook - In-Game Recipe/Tradeskill Bot - Founder (Retired).
    Founding member of the Council of Truth Clerical Staff.
    Keep in mind: My posts are my own personal views and thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Windguaerd View Post
    Wasn't CoH canceled last year?

Not sure how to take an example, from a game which was terminated. {Edited by Haquihana - Innapropriate}
    Somehow I doubt the fact that CoH saved prefs server-side was the reason it folded.
    Last edited by Haquihana; Feb 8th, 2013 at 17:42:41. Reason: Edit in quote to match OP.
    ZeePhonz :: 220/30/70 Adventurer
    ZeeMedic :: 220/30/70 Doctor
    ZeeDaKeep :: 220/30/70 Keeper
    Cratscan :: 220/30/70 Bureaucrat
    ZeeStabbie :: 220/30/65 Shade
    ZeeInstein :: 220/21/60 Engineer

President of A.R.S. (Athens Recovery Service)

Whenever I fill out an application, in the part that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR".

Pretty sure other games remembered server side settings too.
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12