Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prefs Moved to App Data Folder

Any good reason given for this? it fill c: station and if u run with small ssd's it might needs new hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by korvaoo View Post
    Any good reason given for this? it fill c: station and if u run with small ssd's it might needs new hardware.
    Then just change the location of AppData

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Really hate that damn c:\users\xx stuff, games but even applications tend to put stuff all over the damn place, so backing things up is a nightmare.

It might be the correct way but since no one app seem to do the same i sure wonder.

I see age of conan and the secret world there to by the way, are they changed to or have they always done that?
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer

AoC & TSW have always placed data in your AppData folder, it was only AO that was built prior to Microsoft's centralizing of User data.

I personally have my My [Documents|Pictures|etc] folders as well as my AppData shipped off to other drives so I don't have to concern myself with running out of space on my minimized root partition.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"

Thanks Wakizaka guess i have to update my backup job to include the prefs folder on c:\ as well then

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    ""The prefs have been moved out of the install directory. And in to the app data folder of your operating system. "" copied from TL update notes

What does this mean exactly, other than a new spot for the pref folders?

Was this done to help Windows UAC to not miss-place files so we can install AO in our programs folders again instead of our documents folder?

Also, it was asked before, but if someone could confirm for us which parts of our old preference folders is it "safe" or "smart" to copy over? It sounds like we don't need to do a back-up of 18.5 preference folders as the 18.6 ones will be in a new spot.

I am hoping for maybe hotbars and our program-window-favorites ...

Kinnik
    Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    You could copy everything over without to much harm.

Without warranty for completeness what I think makes sense:

• Prefs.xml: Generic preferences and config (position, list columns, sorting) of generic windows (Nanos, Raid, Wear, Friends, etc.)
    • TextMacro.bin: Well, Macros
    • Char.cfg: For preferences not yet in Prefs.xml
    • Chat directory: Chat config. Just leave out the log files and InputHistory.xml files if you don't need them
    • Containers\ShortcutBar_*.xml files and Containers\SpecialActions.xml
    • DockAreas\PlanetMapViewConfig.xml (Planetmap window config) and DockAreas\RollupArea.xml (right rollup panel config, copy if you use it)
    • DockArea\DockArea*.xml: A little more tricky here, copy those where
      Code:
      <String name="docked_view_identities" value='&quot;friends_window&quot;' />
      contains friends_window and other names of generic windows if you wanted to save their positions (Have to copy over Prefs.xml, too!)

For the rest of Containers and DockArea refer my script post

If you really have to you could move the Funcom directory to another drive and create a symbolic link by opening the command prompt as administrator and then run something like this:

Code:
    mklink /d %LOCALAPPDATA%\Funcom D:\AltAppData\Local\Funcom
    I am using these instructions now on the new Live server and have a few comments ...

These first 3 steps work great!
    [*]Prefs.xml: Generic preferences and config (position, list columns, sorting) of generic windows (Nanos, Raid, Wear, Friends, etc.)[*]TextMacro.bin: Well, Macros[*]Char.cfg: For preferences not yet in Prefs.xml

I am skipping the Chat / Windows folders step ... it turns out our old guild channel is seen as "not available" ... so for me it is just as easy to configure a new "chat" window for org/friend chat.

The next step also works great, except you can also add "Containers\Bank" to maintain the physical "arrangement" of the bkpks in your bank, but not the names.
    [*]Containers\ShortcutBar_*.xml files and Containers\SpecialActions.xml
    ........ AND Containers\Bank.xml

The next step is useful & easy also:
    [*]DockAreas\PlanetMapViewConfig.xml (Planetmap window config) and DockAreas\RollupArea.xml (right rollup panel config, copy if you use it)

However, I stop with this step for my toons and technical ability.

Kinnik

I still have a pref-folder in C: Programfiles >>> Funcom >>> AO, it is not gone.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    I still have a pref-folder in C: Programfiles >>> Funcom >>> AO, it is not gone.
    When FC says preference folders are moved to a new location: App Data Folder ... they mean that is where your current/active/new preference folders are located.

They did not actually "move" your old preference folders, they are still where they were before, but AO does not use/reference the old ones anymore.

Kinnik

Unsure if it's been mentioned in the thread elsewhere, but another option rather than moving the entire AppData folder or making a symlink:

Create a a .bat file in the AO directory containing the following:

Code:
    set USERPROFILE=%CD%\fakeappdata
    Anarchy.exe
    This will cause the launcher to think the appdata folder is in the current directory (similar to how pre-merge was, but not exactly). The game will store all of its prefs in there. Could be useful for portable installations of AO as well.

I am using these instructions now on the new Live server and have a few comments ...

These first 3 steps work great!
    [*]Prefs.xml: Generic preferences and config (position, list columns, sorting) of generic windows (Nanos, Raid, Wear, Friends, etc.)[*]TextMacro.bin: Well, Macros[*]Char.cfg: For preferences not yet in Prefs.xml

I am skipping the Chat / Windows folders step ... it turns out our old guild channel is seen as "not available" ... so for me it is just as easy to configure a new "chat" window for org/friend chat.

The next step also works great, except you can also add "Containers\Bank" to maintain the physical "arrangement" of the bkpks in your bank, but not the names.
    [*]Containers\ShortcutBar_*.xml files and Containers\SpecialActions.xml
    ........ AND Containers\Bank.xml

The next step is useful & easy also:
    [*]DockAreas\PlanetMapViewConfig.xml (Planetmap window config) and DockAreas\RollupArea.xml (right rollup panel config, copy if you use it)

However, I stop with this step for my toons and technical ability.

Kinnik
    The "bank" step above ............................ was not the problem afterall. (edit)

AOIA starts getting confused and doubling up the bank tabs. Who knows it might work if the toon opens their bank beforehand. I don't know.

Kinnik

edit: AOIA starts creating Nesting Banks as soon as your merged toon opens their bank. It does not matter whether you are using 1.0.4 or 1.1.4 versions of AOIA. It does not matter whether or not you copied parts of your preference folders or not. We checked between guildies that had done both and all had same result.

So far it does not seem to double up on items ..............

We noticed this today
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; Mar 2nd, 2013 at 21:59:26. Reason: AOIA is messed up

When FC says preference folders are moved to a new location: App Data Folder ... they mean that is where your current/active/new preference folders are located.

They did not actually "move" your old preference folders, they are still where they were before, but AO does not use/reference the old ones anymore.

Kinnik
    Safe to delete the one in program-files then? I already have a backup-copy of prefs.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by leetlover View Post
    Safe to delete the one in program-files then? I already have a backup-copy of prefs.
    I don't know for sure, but it would make sense that your pref folders with the old character id #'s could be deleted.

Kinnik

Edit: Question ...

I noticed that the new folders in the App Data area have three numbered folders inside the Funcom\Anarchy online main folder ... for my install anyways.

Each of these three numbered folders have Preference folders ...

- One has a Test Server folder with preferences for character id's I recognize as my 18.6 TL toons.

- The other two numbered folders each have preferences for my Live 18.6 merged character id's.
    Which of these two folders is my actual install?

Kinnik
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; Mar 3rd, 2013 at 09:06:16.

I must say I really find it a shame, that this game still is not able to save prefs (and move them automaticly) in those kind of cases. Lost them all again.

Why did they not just make some kind of auto-pref-moving system that is able to move _and_ save the prefs *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Nimiria View Post
    I must say I really find it a shame, that this game still is not able to save prefs (and move them automaticly) in those kind of cases. Lost them all again.

Why did they not just make some kind of auto-pref-moving system that is able to move _and_ save the prefs *sigh*
    Your old pre-merger preferences are probably still in your install folder since the new ones are in different folder now ... if you wanted to try and copy them over.

Kinnik

Oh my god this is such a disaster. Why didn't they warn us about this? Is there really no easy way to figure out which character had which ID?

I would've happily made a note for which character was which ID so I can migrate them manually. My main account has 31 folders of preferences, and I so don't want to spend all that time figuring out which folder is which character.

Sigh... at least my main is easy to find because it's the only folder with 400mb of chat logs. If I didn't have my hotbars, I'd be completely lost. I play this game on muscle-memory by now and have long forgotten the names of the stuff I'm pressing.
    `((((
    `(. .)
    ((
    v )) Kimarzt
    .m m 220/30/70 Doctor :: First and Only Doctor to Equip Hatred of the Xans :: First Doctor with Sword of Dusk

Quote Originally Posted by Kimarzt View Post
    Oh my god this is such a disaster. Why didn't they warn us about this? Is there really no easy way to figure out which character had which ID?

I would've happily made a note for which character was which ID so I can migrate them manually. My main account has 31 folders of preferences, and I so don't want to spend all that time figuring out which folder is which character.

Sigh... at least my main is easy to find because it's the only folder with 400mb of chat logs. If I didn't have my hotbars, I'd be completely lost. I play this game on muscle-memory by now and have long forgotten the names of the stuff I'm pressing.
    Basically there are several ways to figure out old CharID (not as accurate or quick as having made list of them prior to merge but still better than nothing). Chat logs is of course one way but don't think I have seen this suggestion before:
    You could go to ..\Prefs\accountname\Charxxxxxxxxxx\Containers\ and open ShortcutBar_0.xml (or, if you have several shortcut bars, then ShortcutBar_X.xml where X is number). In this file you should see something like
    Code:
            <Array name="item_id">
                <Identity value="Identity(51081,1)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(51081,2)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(51081,4)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(104,70)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(115,51)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(115,52)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(115,54)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(53019,100200)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(53019,100198)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(53019,100252)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(53019,49745)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(101,1)" />
                <Identity value="Identity(104,78)" />
    If we take one of these as example, for example
    <Identity value="Identity(53019,49745)" />
    and then place latter number to auno or xyphos (as part of item id, in this case 49745), then we instantly know that this character has Brave Challenger to Titan in hotbar so character has to be enforcer. If you have only one enforcer on account then this is quite easy way to find it out (if your shortcut bars are well organized). If you have two or more enforcers (or other professions..) then all is not lost, nanos also gives hint of level of character. Level 220 enfo would probably have different Challenger on hotbar than level 50 enforcer.
    Mizufluffy (220/30/??) MA # Hopeasaukko (216/27/??) NT # Mustarotta (100/10/28) Crat
    Mustarotta's Foreman (Biomare) Service for Hire (unavailable)
    Some of my froobs on RK2: Neuzoire, Denzyr, Hinami, Hinachan, Zetblanc, Dalanope, Chenin, Reandway (I'm more active on characters with yellow name)

Quote Originally Posted by Kimarzt View Post
    So 3-4 months of warning wasn't sufficient ?

Your old pre-merger preferences are probably still in your install folder since the new ones are in different folder now ... if you wanted to try and copy them over.

Kinnik
    I did copy them but nothing happened.

And that is the (my) problem: In 2013 a game should be able to do this on its own. Not I as a user should have to read X guides how to find Y things like character IDs and so on and do it all myself.

In 2013 sure, but you forget AO is in 2001. "Uh but it's 2013" yea, but not in AO time. "I expect better" so play a better game.
    Last edited by Vhab; Mar 4th, 2013 at 16:05:24. Reason: removed moderated quoted post
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Nimiria View Post
    I did copy them but nothing happened.

And that is the (my) problem: In 2013 a game should be able to do this on its own. Not I as a user should have to read X guides how to find Y things like character IDs and so on and do it all myself.
    If you just did a straight copy of all prefs from original location to new location in appdata, then yes, nothing will happen. You need to match up old charIds with new charIds and copy the old prefs from the old charId to new charId
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast