Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prefs Moved to App Data Folder

Prefs Moved to App Data Folder

""The prefs have been moved out of the install directory. And in to the app data folder of your operating system. "" copied from TL update notes

What does this mean exactly, other than a new spot for the pref folders?

Was this done to help Windows UAC to not miss-place files so we can install AO in our programs folders again instead of our documents folder?

Also, it was asked before, but if someone could confirm for us which parts of our old preference folders is it "safe" or "smart" to copy over? It sounds like we don't need to do a back-up of 18.5 preference folders as the 18.6 ones will be in a new spot.

I am hoping for maybe hotbars and our program-window-favorites ...

Kinnik

I don't like having my prefs or logfiles taht i use to parse for dd on c: (smal lssd there unfortunally) so i'de like to know if i can move if without doing stupid things like redirecting %appdata% and such.
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    ""The prefs have been moved out of the install directory. And in to the app data folder of your operating system. "" copied from TL update notes

What does this mean exactly, other than a new spot for the pref folders?

Was this done to help Windows UAC to not miss-place files so we can install AO in our programs folders again instead of our documents folder?

Also, it was asked before, but if someone could confirm for us which parts of our old preference folders is it "safe" or "smart" to copy over? It sounds like we don't need to do a back-up of 18.5 preference folders as the 18.6 ones will be in a new spot.

I am hoping for maybe hotbars and our program-window-favorites ...

Kinnik
    You could copy everything over without to much harm.

Without warranty for completeness what I think makes sense:

• Prefs.xml: Generic preferences and config (position, list columns, sorting) of generic windows (Nanos, Raid, Wear, Friends, etc.)
    • TextMacro.bin: Well, Macros
    • Char.cfg: For preferences not yet in Prefs.xml
    • Chat directory: Chat config. Just leave out the log files and InputHistory.xml files if you don't need them
    • Containers\ShortcutBar_*.xml files and Containers\SpecialActions.xml
    • DockAreas\PlanetMapViewConfig.xml (Planetmap window config) and DockAreas\RollupArea.xml (right rollup panel config, copy if you use it)
    • DockArea\DockArea*.xml: A little more tricky here, copy those where
      Code:
      <String name="docked_view_identities" value='&quot;friends_window&quot;' />
      contains friends_window and other names of generic windows if you wanted to save their positions (Have to copy over Prefs.xml, too!)

For the rest of Containers and DockArea refer my script post

Quote Originally Posted by nanoforcer View Post
    I don't like having my prefs or logfiles taht i use to parse for dd on c: (smal lssd there unfortunally) so i'de like to know if i can move if without doing stupid things like redirecting %appdata% and such.
    If you really have to you could move the Funcom directory to another drive and create a symbolic link by opening the command prompt as administrator and then run something like this:

Code:
    mklink /d %LOCALAPPDATA%\Funcom D:\AltAppData\Local\Funcom
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Hey great tip, thanks i'll try that!
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

this is just an annoying change. means i cant just copy my ao folder to a flash drive and play it on whatever computer i can find since i'd have to reset the prefs.
    Cause the players gonna play, play, play, play, play
    And the haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate
    Baby, I'm just gonna shake, shake, shake, shake, shake
    I shake it off, I shake it off

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsNotMyName View Post
    this is just an annoying change. means i cant just copy my ao folder to a flash drive and play it on whatever computer i can find since i'd have to reset the prefs.
    Sure you can, just backup the prefs to the flashdrive too and copy those over before playing. You could even make a batchscript that did this.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

This may sound silly, but where is the App Data Folder? I tried to find it for Test Live toons to practice with, but could not find the folder.

Kinnik

C:\Users\<account name>\AppData\Local\Funcom\Anarchy Online

you may need to enable hidden folders to find your AppData folder

Type %LOCALAPPDATA% in the Explorer address bar at the top and press enter, it will then change to that directory and show its path in the address bar.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness

[ The Foolish Testers ]

Funcom employee

The next build for TL has a convenient button in the Launcher's options to find the folder.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    The next build for TL has a convenient button in the Launcher's options to find the folder.
    Would it be possible to have old style location too for portable installations?
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Thanks Vhab

Thanks for the info Misat0 and Deadly ...

Kinnik

Can you add a convenient way to keep out old prefs (like copy by name / import buttons somewhere)
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

I suspect with windows it would be easy enough to make a batch file like you do with minecraft to run the game in app folder, i hope anyway

What else is moved to appdata?
    would be awesome if all GUI data overrides would go there, so game wouldnt have issues with updates with each patch.
    also scripts and screenshots folders should be there.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    would be awesome if all GUI data overrides would go there, so game wouldnt have issues with updates with each patch.
    That was moved around inside the game directory. Vhab posted this at some point here.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

Why this change?

I always loved that I had everything in a single folder I could move around if I wanted to... and backup as well.... :S
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

Custom GUIs also are moved there with 18.6. They're at "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Funcom\Anarchy Online\<random string>\Testserver\gui\<custom GUI name>".

Also the custom texture pack is now directly in the custom GUIs directory, so you only need to set the GUIname and the texture file is loaded automatically.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]

[ The Foolish Testers ]

Quote Originally Posted by Mekh View Post
    Why this change?

I always loved that I had everything in a single folder I could move around if I wanted to... and backup as well.... :S
    Because it's the proper way to handle files you have your program write to. What AO does now is one of the chief reasons for it to not run on modern systems and user issues in general.
    The Red Brotherhood

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    All of that goes there now.

Properly made GUIs already didn't impact patching.
    Unfortunately a bunch touch default files and cause things to break.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast