Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Prefs Moved to App Data Folder

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Man... do none of you people use ANY other programs than AO? Quite amazing that this game has a collection of people who uses mainly Windows XP and earlier, as well as never play other games newer than AO as well as never using a single program of any kind newer than AO. Amazing.
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Not everyone has access or the money to pay for new hardware.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. Not everyone has access or the money to pay for new hardware.
    Of course I'm not. I'm perpetually amazed at what people manage to dig out and expect to be able to use to play games. Then whine about how it doesn't work, or that accepted software norms are somehow inconvenient to them and should be disregarded.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    This change is pretty laughable. The whole "appdata" folder thing annoys me (for all apps, not specifically AO)

Every app should just throw itself neatly into one folder. Thanks.
    Have to agree with that to some extent. Pisses me off that chrome installs itself to appdata (WTF!?) which is on my mechanical drive.

If i junctioned the chome installation to my C (SSD) drive would that affect performance (or rather i should say would i get the same performance as if it were initially installed to the ssd rather then by a junction). And are there any other tie-ins to chrome being installed in appdata thatd get messed up by a junction?

Man... do none of you people use ANY other programs than AO? Quite amazing that this game has a collection of people who uses mainly Windows XP and earlier, as well as never play other games newer than AO as well as never using a single program of any kind newer than AO. Amazing.
    I use a tonne of different programs on my Win 7 Ult PC... Games, Multimedia programs as well as professional/work related programs, and they pretty much all piss me off because they throw their stuff all over the place instead of just staying in a single location/folder that I choose... :-)

Performance related issues aside, I also prefer programs to keep ALL their settings in ini-files in that same directory, instead of some settings in a huge garbled registry, which is basically just a disaster waiting to happen and then other settings in <Install folder> and other files again in %appdata%\xxx and whatever other folders in hidden places they may or may not hide their stuff in these days.

*Wonders whether the performance of modern SSD's could offset some of the performance hit of using ini-files over the registry....*

Few things makes me appreciate a program as much as when I realize I can download it in a zip/rar file, extract it to a folder, then use it.... No fuss, mess, installation or anything... and then if I don't need it anymore I delete the folder and the shortcut I used to the program, and I know there's no more crap lying around in weird places on my PC, just waiting to make my PC sluggish and or trying to make it crash due to weird shared files in hidden places having been deleted unintentionally.

Whatever.... Just a grumpy old fart here
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

jesus christ app data needs to die in a fire. why can't all the relevant things to a program be stored... y'know... in the folder i installed the program in?

Files on a PC are like pens, keys and reading glasses: as soon as you take your eye off them they run off and hide leaving you sitting there muttering, "But I put it right here only a minute ago..."
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

emacs <3
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    emacs <3
    Relevant

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Thumbs up

ROFL.... Nice one
    Mekhdoc 220/27/70 Equip | Mekh 220/28/67 Equip | Shadesch 220/21/70 Equip
    Mekhkeeper 220/22/70 Equip | Roflmao 220/15/50 | Fixyaself 200/23/64 Equip

On the topic of Prefs, I've just noticed that when I moved my chars prefs folder over to the new testlive location, all the prefs ie bars positions windows etc.. were all preserved, but from a few patches back. Over the last few months I've added hotkey bars and repositioned them etc.. however all these settings were lost.

This was also repeatable when I moved my main AO folder. The only prefs that were preserved were from a good few patches back. Everything thing recent, such as things mentioned above as well as other things like volume settings etc, were lost.

Anybody got any ideas if AO does something new as of late with prefs?
    Equilibrium may refer to: The condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced, in a wide variety of contexts
    Infinity may refer to: The state or quality of being infinite. A number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number (symbol ∞).
    Vengeance may refer to: Vengeance (concept) or revenge, a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance

AO Item Assistant+ :: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoiaplus/::

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dream ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Not a rant, not a flame. Just another perspective."

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    On the topic of Prefs, I've just noticed that when I moved my chars prefs folder over to the new testlive location, all the prefs ie bars positions windows etc.. were all preserved, but from a few patches back. Over the last few months I've added hotkey bars and repositioned them etc.. however all these settings were lost.

This was also repeatable when I moved my main AO folder. The only prefs that were preserved were from a good few patches back. Everything thing recent, such as things mentioned above as well as other things like volume settings etc, were lost.

Anybody got any ideas if AO does something new as of late with prefs?
    See this thread for details. Short version: Prefs are probably stored in VirtualStore because of insufficient permissions to alter them in the AO folder directly. Nothing new, but exactly what the prefs change with 18.6 will solve.
    ::: My Tools & Stuff :::
    ::: Cratine Savagedheals Enfine Zoewrangle Demoder :: Solitron Demotionform :: IRC Demoder Savagedlight :::
    ::: AOItems :: Blog :: CIDB :: HelpBot :: ItemsBot :: PlanetMap Viewer :: Tower Wars :: Twitter :::

Ah cheers Demoder! .. I thought my AO was just saving its prefs as normal, but no they were being dumped into the AppData VirtualStore location instead. I guess I almost forgot I wasn't running on Windows 95 anymore there for a moment! ha
    Equilibrium may refer to: The condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced, in a wide variety of contexts
    Infinity may refer to: The state or quality of being infinite. A number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number (symbol ∞).
    Vengeance may refer to: Vengeance (concept) or revenge, a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance

AO Item Assistant+ :: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoiaplus/::

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dream ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Not a rant, not a flame. Just another perspective."

A question before I get properly stuck in post-merge. I run 2 seperate client installs with seperate configurations and settings for various reasons. How will AppData deal with that? Will it try and squash it all together, get confused and overwrite one set with another?

Ophiuchus : 220/30/80 HAHA etc
    Nahuatl
    :: 220/30/80 Melee 4lyfe
    Khurkh :: 220/30/80 healtankpew
    Transcendence
    Msanthropic
    : 210/26/60 nanostab
    Spidershiva :: 165/23/42 kite? eh?
    Silentmotion
    : 150/20/42 tankthink
    The Union

I don't seem to find any entry for Funcom in my Windows XP application data folder:
    C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Application Data

I sorted it by date, but nothing seems to appear.

I have AO installed on an external USB drive. The game launches, but no new prefs folder seems to be created in the above folder.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

AppData

Found the correct folder after a bit of searching in my Win XP installation.
    Did copy my old prefs folder in there ...and it had 0.0 impact on the char.

No hotbars.
    Inventory leets on the loose both in inv and in back.
    Backpacks a mess.

Any more specific advice for "none database pros" how to handle this and what exactly we can salvage and what not?

Update: I found it...

on XP the default APP data folder for AO was here:

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\Application Data\Funcom

substitute ("admin") with your username and "C:" with your install drive

However...I agree with the last poster that moving the prefs folder here verbatim had Zero (0) effect on the game.

Help!

Update...got it to work.

I didn't realize the character number had changed (a subfolder name under Prefs). So I copied the entire content of the old character prefs and pasted it into the new character number (you have to get the right character number).

I hope this helps those who are slow like me.

Can anyone tell me where keybindings are stored? I only want to save those and my hotbars (which I'm assuming are ShortcutBar_*.xml).

Also, what is SpecialActions.xml?

Thanks!

Nevermind found them, they are in the prefs.xml file itself

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast