Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Global Research - Reset

Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    Folks, how about everyone stops getting their pants in a twist about this for now?
    They've reset Global Research on the first TestLive iteration. So what. Perhaps it interfered with proper tests on their migration scripts? I'm no dev, i lack the insight, but at this point it's pretty useless to start speculating and hyperventilating about something that just so happened a few days ago on the first public merge run...

Seriously, people, log on to TestLive, check your char integrity (that is Items in bank and inv), report bugs you find, play with Auto a bit, and stop complaining for now. Until we have a solid confirmation that they will reset Global Research on Live with 18.6 it's pointless to waste time on the topic.
    I have logged on to testlive and everything seemed fine minus the global research. What should we do ? Not let them know where we stand and what we would like to see? My god the forums would be dead if we weren't speculating.

Booohoooooo, i felt the need to post in a thread i obviously don't care about.

Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    Folks, how about everyone stops getting their pants in a twist about this for now?
    They've reset Global Research on the first TestLive iteration. So what. Perhaps it interfered with proper tests on their migration scripts? I'm no dev, i lack the insight, but at this point it's pretty useless to start speculating and hyperventilating about something that just so happened a few days ago on the first public merge run...

Seriously, people, log on to TestLive, check your char integrity (that is Items in bank and inv), report bugs you find, play with Auto a bit, and stop complaining for now. Until we have a solid confirmation that they will reset Global Research on Live with 18.6 it's pointless to waste time on the topic.
    Yes, well that's the thing. Funcom, historically, has not properly communicated changes that have affected players. In this case, someone did flatout report the global research as a bug and Vhab stated "intended". Granted that could mean "intended for test" or "intended for Live". Vhab being a player, however, should have understood the concern and I'd imagine that if it were a testlive thing only should have stated such.

I'd rather see people expressing concern.. 20-30 pages of it in fact, prematurely than have it turn out that global research is truly to be reset on Live and no one said a thing about it because they assumed it was just a test thing. Resetting global research is a HUGE deal that affects every player whether they are PvM or PvP focused. This is something that deserves an immediate response from an AO Dev imo.. especially if the change was only meant for Test (and not for Live).
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I think it will be stupid from FC... so maybe global researches aren't needed anymore to wear attuned research devices

Just a thought....

They placed the process on TESTLIVE and then expect us to do some testing and such. Why wouldn't we tell them what we find (especially if it was never mentioned)?

But curious - I would think they would be reading the posts about what we are finding and give us a short summary of things. I have to believe they expected several threads and posts about TESTLIVE - so where are some answers?
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    But curious - I would think they would be reading the posts about what we are finding and give us a short summary of things. I have to believe they expected several threads and posts about TESTLIVE - so where are some answers?
    Think of it this way. This merge is so close to being ready that it was announced as a possibility of being released in November yet we still, to this day, never get a FAQ on what was to happen.

Something this big deserves a FAQ sticky with questions and answers from official people (i.e. Funcom Devs) all in one place (versus random vague answers scattered across several different threads) yet there really isn't one. The closest thing you get is the testlive patch notes but even those leave more questions than answers.

There's a community manager and I'm not exactly sure what that duty entails but I'd suggest they read some of the threads, compile a list of questions and sit next to a dev and get some answers. Then they can just make a thread, sticky and lock it and post the frequently asked questions with answers. That can't take longer than 30min or an hour.. heck.. give me a phone number to someone in AO's dev team and I'll do it myself. But this lack of communication and slow/no/vague response thing got old a long time ago. If we didn't care, we wouldn't bother to even post. Sometimes it feels like you have to really babysit them just to find a justification for giving them money to continue to play the game.
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 00:54:43.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

There have been a number of comments here on this thread about Global research being reset to zero with no advance warning ...

Plus many more comments on this thread http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=603424 as well ...

Plus speculation as to whether or not Vhab's comment that the reset was indeed intended was meant just for TL or for Live as well.

It would be very nice to hear from FC what the intention is for when 18.6 goes to the new Live server. There seems to be plenty of player feedback available to help them decide and/or rethink their decision.

Kinnik

They placed the process on TESTLIVE and then expect us to do some testing and such.
    please answer me this one simple question.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 02:14:22.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    please answer me this one simple question.
    hmmm was responding then edited...so whats the question?
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

hmmm was responding then edited...so whats the question?
    exactly. How are we sopposed to test things if we dont know how they are supposed to work?

adding some details like "whats supposed to be happening" can make the testing bit more productive.
    i dont see test server as a test server... its more like guess server.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 03:00:45.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

As sucky as global research being set to zero is, there are a couple of pertinent points worthwhile remembering.

There is not just one big pool of global research that your xp/sk grinding contributes towards and when it is filled everything is unlocked, they are broken down in to a number of sub groups. To say it is going to take atleast a year for the most crucial items to be completed is just shenanigans. Perhaps there is an opportunity to streamline these somewhat (1 stage instead of 3, remove a couple of zeroes off the required amount of xp/sk per research line?), perhaps not, that is something that could be looked at - but if they are that crucial to every man and his dog they will be getting contributed towards from the get go. Perhaps we could get some actual numbers of the xp/sk required for the research lines as opposed to the guesstimates we had from years ago? The playerbase could then be engaged as to an appropriate time sink (if it should be reset at all) to get lines completed.

Every forementioned man and his dog complains (justly) about research caps wasting sk for those who are 220 but have not finished all the research that they want to complete...if global research is reset then there is once again going to be less wastage of sk with keenly set % bars. A small silver lining, but a silver lining none the less.

It was a pita doing the research first time round, but it did rally the troops and gave each side a goal to achieve. The number of wasted rewards from daily mishs will also help negate the reduced playerbase we experience now. Will it effect me? Yes on each toon that I log in, is it a game breaker, no. Might actually manage to get a team on my trader & mp now?!

The most important thing though is to get some actual clarification from FC as to what their expectations & objectives with regards to global research (and further for the other big headline effects that the merge will bring about) is. This breadcrumb trail of vague one liners isn't good enough for something that as previously mentioned was close to being rolled out 2 months ago. Open honest communication is the way forward with game altering aspects... atleast give us a justifiable reason to go and grab the pitch forks and get all wound up...

Personally I do just feel like it's an added grind for the sake of adding a grind, like floors 1,3 and 5 in DB3 - what purpose does it really serve at the end of the day? If global research was constantly being reduced and needed to be constantly topped up to maintain it's max level then atleast there would be a precedent in the form of a game mechanic to get your head round the wipe....we've had it too good for too long now though. Atleast all the pvp officianados won't have to deal with APT's when they are duking it out on merge month on their soon to be broken toons!!!

Perhaps you have missed part of my comment on what this means. Players will be in setups that will not be attainable for quite some time thanks to the need for one or 2 of the HUDS at level 3 specifically. Because they will have an advantage that can not be achieved unless post-merge toons exploit into the similar setups. This is a CS nightmare. There will be petitions about it, there will reports of exploited gear. In fact preparing for the merge by being in the best setup possible that requires the hud's to achieve will effectively exploiting the loop hole that toons will not be forced to unequip as part of the merge.

If I was the FC CS department I would be at the AO teams desk with pitch forks going what the heck do you think we like doing with our time. If I was the exploit team, some AO folks desk would be tin foiled, tarred and feathered just for even making this situation possible. It shows that no clear thinking of the larger impacts to even FC was considered in what can only be called "a stupid move".

Had we all logged on to test and been naked toons then the CS nightmare for exploited setups would be removed. Pissed off the players would be but at least they would have minimized the impacts to FC staff. That is why it is clear this is not thought out completely and should have been commented on early today at the latest.

And since they are calling this a migration having a script strip our toons to nothing would be a good idea as it would give them an effective way to remove exploited setups. And it is something that the player would hate, the players would also approve of removing of exploited setups.

Right now they are just making stupid amounts of work for people that really have better things to do than clean up the dev teams mess.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

For those who are saying, lets wait till it hits Live before QQing as we don't know what they intend to do with Live, this has just happened on Test, etc.. I think that this is optimistic, to the point of putting blinders on.*

There's been quite a few issues that people have noticed in Test before and have managed to communicate to FC that it wasn't proper, it didn't work well, etc... and have taken quite a few pages of "feedback" from testers/players before FC have replied back with something akin to "oh yes, we get that this is a problem, we won't do this on Live".* If we as testers don't react to proposed changes, they may very well have the mindset "well, the playerbase seem fine with it, no one's complaining, whack it in", which is great isn't it??

Or stuff that got ninja-patched into Live, like the refiner becoming nodrop..that took quite a few pages of heated "feedback" before they finally admitted it wasn't a good idea and fixed it in Live.* If some of you are happy to put your heads in the ground and hope that all is well once it hits Live, go for it, but there's a few of us who are being vocal about this, simply to let FC know that this could be a game-breaking decison they are making and likely to have a lot of negative consequences.* If they're going to break this game with such a poorly thought out decision, I sure as hell am not going to let it go quietly.

As far as not knowing what's going to happen in Live, we've been trying to get an indication from FC ever since this was discovered.* If it was as simple as just saying "its not going to hit Live", just say it already.* As per this post from Jihnna(http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...49&postcount=6), who confirmed from the CoT(Council of Tester's on Test), it was intended to hit Live just like that.* Now, I don't know who these CoT people are, but it does seem they have more info than the general playerbase, so with lack of any further information, I'm going to go with their version until FC says otherwise.
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

If it's really intended to go Live, as could be understood from Vhab's comment, it's a horrible decision. Many players have setup their toons to depend on the hud3 devices. And for a good reason - we were told these are permanent once the original research was done. Are you really going to screw peoples toons for months due to this? It's really not a good way to welcome people back when some old player returns after merge and finds out he can't even buff his toon

WTS LR: QL 300 VTS, 75 Billion.

But I personally can find something good in this reset, since some players will loose some nasty AR / def, lesser buffs, not able to perk NR, and that stuff.

Might change pvp a bit
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

If its so good to reset the work you have already done,delet your Toon and roll it again.
    I hate Inf Missis with all my Heart ,i have done then to lvl and to get the research done ,they should somebody be forced to do the same Crap again .......
    Thats next ,set all Toons back to lvl 1 so we all can enjoy lvling up to 220 again ?
    If a new research is implemend and the old stays Fine thats something that whould make Sense but if they realy reset the already done Research i whouldnt do that again.
    Last edited by Hawksmore1; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 10:38:28.

I dont know about anyone else but as far as i can think, server merge=new server=no xp/sk in global research to reset in the first place. Maybe this reset on test is to mimic what is going to happen on live anyway. Will it be an inconvenience? Yes. Will it take a huge amount of time to complete? Unlikely. It didn't the first time round, so why would it this time given the introduction/expansion of daily missions, and people still use their 220 to drag around lowbies in inf missions. Lowbies can contribute too since you cant gain from a full mission reward until ~205ish anyway.

Can anyone confirm on TL whether or not they've changed the Tradeskill HUD3 devices, as they were introduced without the need for Global Research to be done.

220s "Wakizaka", "Sneakygank", "Wakimango", "Wakisolja", "Tardersauce", "Bushwaki", "Midgetgank", "Bugfixxx", "Ramsbottom", "Paskadoc"
    200s Chrisd, Malema, Delbaeth
    TL5s Youfail, Bugfixx, Riothamus, Johndee

Proud President of Haven | TL5 PvP

Why should this Time Global research be effectet ? As DNW was shut down and we had to Migrate to RK1 and 2 there was no change or effect to Mechs or Hud they should it different this time ?
    "Research Attunement Device - Tradeskill Level Three
    NODROP UNIQUE
    Quality level: SPECIAL
    Requirements:
    Wield:
    On Self:
    Level from 200 "

Inside info: They are resetting the Global Research, but they will add new ones that we can have fun grinding! - the one we got now will just simply dissapear and so will the requirements that they need! :---)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast