Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Global Research - Reset

Global Research - Reset

I see that on Test-Live the 18.6 patch/migration reset all Global Research to zero.

Does that mean we all have to re-do all that research after 18.6 goes to Live servers?

I hope it does not mean that while we all have to rename all our banks, reset all our skripts, hot-bars, etc., think of new names for our toons ... we also have to re-do all the global research?

Please say that you are going to re-set the Global Research to "ALL FINISHED" before you patch 18.6 to Live.

Kinnik

Things on Test are subject to changes. Lots that happen on Test never see the light of day on Live.

My guess is this will be one of those things.
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

I hope you are correct ...

However, when Vhab was asked if it was intended just on Test-Live or both TL and Live ... no one answered.

Kinnik

The concept of them resetting global research on live is mind boggling.

I recall taking a then finished 220 toon back to inferno when LE came out and farming those mind-numbing inferno missions to get my LE research. Excess was dumped to global so we could get those up. Having to take finished 220/30/70 toons back to inferno to do this again would be beyond cruel and a total disrespect of everyone's previously invested time.

I can't believe that anyone would think that this makes sense (resetting global) so I'm hoping it is a test only thing that won't carryover to the live environment. If the plan is to actually reset it...

LOL
    Last edited by Traderjill; Jan 20th, 2013 at 21:07:54.
    You can find me at:
    Battlenet @ Marilata#1680
    Steam @ http://steamcommunity.com/id/marilata

I would assume that if they were resetting global research, they had a plan to change it somehow.

How or why, I could not begin to guess.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

I went on test today just to ask about this. Two members of CoT confirmed that global research is intended to be reset on live as well, but added that it could be subject to change before that. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Sounds retarded to reset research just because they can, with that way of thinking i mind they could just have skipped the whole character transfer circus and have everyone restart from scratch, makes about the same sense
    Don't you just hate this kind of ppl
    http://redwing.hutman.net/%7Emreed/w...rouscranus.htm

Well I just tested a theory and global research being reset has dire effects on our characters. You see those great things called attunement devices that we all right clicked up to level 3 for our 200+ toon or even level 2 for mid level toons are no longer equip-able. Yep that is right. I am sure that is going to make casting some of those near impossible endgame nanos impossible for quite a few professions.

As an example from the Research Attunement Device - Nano Technology Level Three
    "Must have perk: Global Advantage - Nano Technology Knowledge 3"

So if you have one equipped then keep it that way.

I have to say FC this is another example of piss poor planning and having no clue how this will impact your players. I am sure I am not going to spend the VP to get new level 1 ones so I get the benefits as research is being completed.

As it stands right now a reset will even keep you from using the level 1 units till the first levels of research are completed. I am curious how many lower level twinks are going to be OE and not playable after this. How many of the tower twinks at lower levels needed that extra little bit for the armor or weapon they have on? How many hot swaps relied on those points? How many docs are going be reduced in power thanks to this?

Now lets address the next issue this causes as well. Bring up the mech menu and you will see that NO mechs are available. Hmm, will make Battle Station interesting as well as towers or the content where mechs are needed. So much for a couple of dreads while we build it back up.

I am really blown away by the scope and impact server merge will have. I am starting to think FC wants the old players to leave. In short this is a clear example of the total impact of a change not being fully evaluated. Unless FC wants us to not be able to do what we did pre-merge this is foolish attempt to get the players to do something thinking that we will all be ok with it and keep feeding money to them.

So FYI have all your twinking finished up before the merge because as it stands after the merge toons will be in unattainable gear setups for some time. Oh I can see the petitions now about impossible to achieve setups being unfair and people having their toons stripped because of it. Yes the CS nightmare will funny to watch.
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Duh?

You're going to have to work as a faction to use your research attunement devices and APTs.

Will most likely not take too long because of dailies.
    Last edited by wonderland; Jan 20th, 2013 at 23:09:33.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Jihnna View Post
    I went on test today just to ask about this. Two members of CoT confirmed that global research is intended to be reset on live as well, but added that it could be subject to change before that. So I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
    I would suggest then that everyone make sure you are wearing your favorite LE-hud before 18.6 patches to Live ... and lock it in place after we patch to 18.6.

On TL the LE Huds can not be upgraded, re-equiped or equiped. The benefits of the LE Hud are working on TL, you just can't re-equip one if you take it off. I confirmed this with a TL toon ... stats before and after I took my Hud off.

Kinnik

Clearly this update was intended to give you rk2 pvm carebears something to do

(/locks equipment tab)

WhyCantWe "Belp" BeFriends
    Hate "Belph" Shade
    "Belph0" Mk2
    Care "Calming" Bear
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashford View Post
    I think your cute <3

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    Absolutely none of that is new to global research being wiped.
    Actually considering how long global research has been complete I bet there are more than a few players that have come to AO for the first time since it was finished and have no clue that LE HUD's and mechs would be effected by this.

This is a pretty big deal. Maybe bigger than even the crappy prices for the new city plots. It is going to break twinks. In fact it breaks 2 of mine that are on test right now. I swapped huds to cast nanos then back to combat hud for weapon skills so I am not OE on the weapon. So much for those twinks for the foreseeable future.
    Lheann

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

Quote Originally Posted by wonderland View Post
    Duh?

You're going to have to work as a faction to use your research attunement devices and APTs.

Will most likely not take too long because of dailies.
    Brings up a couple questions -

1) how long did it take years ago with much higher population?
    2) how many 220/30/70s do dailies? I sure as hell don't on any of mine - and to force folks to do that now would be another example of creative stupidity. Everyone already complains about the time it takes for research 9/10s and now have to switch to global?

Now - if they plan to change how it works/updates/changes/effects/etc - then fine, but shouldn't we know that at this point?
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

This sounds great, for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
    Brings up a couple questions -
    1) how long did it take years ago with much higher population?
    2) how many 220/30/70s do dailies? I sure as hell don't on any of mine - and to force folks to do that now would be another example of creative stupidity. Everyone already complains about the time it takes for research 9/10s and now have to switch to global?
    1) If I remember right around 12 months for all factions to complete their research. And back then there were 50 to 100 people always on LFT for inf hards. I heard once that the global research levels are like in the billions of XP needed for each. With today's populace that could take well over a year.

2) None unless they are tanking prisoner for lower level alts.

Problem is that since LE research was complete we have had Xan added as well a good amount of content (ie db1 and 2) that has usable drops only because of the benefits of LE HUD's. Thanks to the HUD's people just squeezed into Alpha Symbs or even just regular ql300 symbs for the first time in all slots.

As I stated this means that existing 220/30/70's and lower level twinks will be in gear setups that will not be obtainable for some time. This leaves FC in a bad spot. Unequip gear that was equipped legally before merge to maintain balance or allow a second tier of players to exist that cannot by any non-exploiting means achieve the level of pre-merge setups. In both cases there are pissed off people.

Regardless FC will be petitioned on this the first time someone looses bad in PVP and screams exploited gear. By all means having a setup that will not be obtainable post merge is exploiting the fact that all toons will not be unequipped as part of the merge. So maybe FC needs to clarify how this will be handled. As a player it sure would make my life hell. As person that understands the CS and PR mess they face un-equipping as part of merge is probably a better solution. But both are slippery slopes in my view.

Now add that there is content that uses mechs and that said content will not be unavailable for some period of time. I find it very disturbing at best. Till this went on test server we had not heard anything about these plans till it just shows up and then we are seeing and hearing confirmation on test server and via post like Vhab's that this is intended and even slated to go live. Heck of a surprise present for sure.

Now couple this with towers not being place-able immediately and even possibly for a few weeks to let people sort out the merge and cities and we actually are at a spot where toons will be gimped hard.

Can of worms.
    Lheann

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

I like it, gives us something to do again. Wouldnt even mind an accidental character wipe on merge day. restart for all. )
    Big "T"
    President of Nocturnal Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Thwarn View Post
    I like it, gives us something to do again. Wouldnt even mind an accidental character wipe on merge day. restart for all. )
    Well, that would truly finalize all questions about the future of AO.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    The concept of them resetting global research on live is mind boggling.

I recall taking a then finished 220 toon back to inferno when LE came out and farming those mind-numbing inferno missions to get my LE research. Excess was dumped to global so we could get those up. Having to take finished 220/30/70 toons back to inferno to do this again would be beyond cruel and a total disrespect of everyone's previously invested time.

I can't believe that anyone would think that this makes sense (resetting global) so I'm hoping it is a test only thing that won't carryover to the live environment. If the plan is to actually reset it...

LOL
    Amen to this

Quote Originally Posted by Lheann View Post
    Problem is that since LE research was complete we have had Xan added as well a good amount of content (ie db1 and 2) that has usable drops only because of the benefits of LE HUD's. Thanks to the HUD's people just squeezed into Alpha Symbs or even just regular ql300 symbs for the first time in all slots.
    This doesn't go against anything else you're saying, but I'd just like to point out that Alphas and Intelligent Symbs require the same stats, so your note about QL300 symbs (which is true, lots of people profession/race combos couldn't equip them before) isn't really needed. Compare Intelligent Exterm Brain vs Alpha Exterm Brain. 2088 treatment, 1276 Int/Psy/Stam, it's the same for both.

I think I can cast everything with a couple extra swaps instead of LE nano hud.

Good thing too because I won't be grinding global research.

I can't wait for the RP justification behind this.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast