Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The naming algorithm is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Now with today's patch to Test Live it seems like the First Name Algorithym was re-used rather than making the last few fixes to the 2nd version.

For my toons anyways, I am back to loosing the names I lost on the first pass ...

Mine is to the point that one of my lost RK2 names was to a non-existant toon on RK1 ... to test it I rolled a toon on RK1 today with the name I lost with today's patch to TL.

Bug report submitted/resubmitted ...

Any one else with similar results?

Kinnik
    Exact same results. Kept all names except 1 that lost it to a non-existant toon on RK1.
    Jihnna 220/30/80 Shade
    Underworld

Quote Originally Posted by Deemure View Post
    Yes, but it increasingly seems that the algorythm isn't getting fixed, or at least not in a manner that stays fixed.
    well.. its only 1200 FC points (10e) to rename a single toon. 20e if you need to rename placeholder first
    you can guess how hard this "issue" is looked at.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Retain your name with priority rights only $49.99!!! Coming Soon !!!

I had low lvl toons (9 to 11) on RK2 (yes, I got bored one day!) with the same names as their 220 counterparts on RK1.

First run the 'new' low level toons kept their names and my 'old' 220's lost theirs.

Second run it seemed to work, my older 220's kept their names and my low lvl toons lost theirs.
    Equilibrium may refer to: The condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced, in a wide variety of contexts
    Infinity may refer to: The state or quality of being infinite. A number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number (symbol ∞).
    Vengeance may refer to: Vengeance (concept) or revenge, a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance

AO Item Assistant+ :: https://sourceforge.net/projects/aoiaplus/::

~~~~~~~~~~~~ Dream ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "Not a rant, not a flame. Just another perspective."

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    I had low lvl toons (9 to 11) on RK2 (yes, I got bored one day!) with the same names as their 220 counterparts on RK1.

First run the 'new' low level toons kept their names and my 'old' 220's lost theirs.

Second run it seemed to work, my older 220's kept their names and my low lvl toons lost theirs.
    What happened with your toons for this latest Third run, Dream? Did your 220's keep their names?

Kinnik

its obviously not working right yet ..
    You have already reached the maximum number of allowed accounts
    You are not allowed to create any new accounts

Heya Kinnik,
    Yeah everything seems to have worked out ok with this latest merge run. My high level toons names survived over my lowbies.
    Equilibrium may refer to: The condition of a system in which all competing influences are balanced, in a wide variety of contexts
    Infinity may refer to: The state or quality of being infinite. A number greater than any assignable quantity or countable number (symbol ∞).
    Vengeance may refer to: Vengeance (concept) or revenge, a harmful action against a person or group in response to a grievance

Has any thought been given to changing the names on smaller inactive toons to "name - something/old" ... ? Even if there is no current name conflict?

Many of us will be trying to think of new names post-merge and it would be nice if more names were available to choose from.

Kinnik

I actually checked all my accounts on test, I ended up losing names I have had since 2006 before the name wipes to...no one. Made me laugh, don't really care but it is funny and I would like to keep a few names I may use after this eventual merge.

Ironbear since 2006
    Spambot...somehow lost that random name from forever ago lol
    Gilgamesh
    Enlighten
    Subterfuge
    Disciple
    Eleet
    Manifester, maybe not sure on that one but I have had that name since 2005 or 2006 but have rerolled that character, which brings me to an issue.

If you had a character back in say, 2003 and you had that name for years, however you decided to reroll that character in 2010 or so. Someone on a different server uses that name in 2008 and levels that character. Would the player who has had the name since 2003 but rerolled lose the name to someone who rolled a character with that name in 2008? Not sure if there is an easy way to deal with this situation, since many old names were lost and rolled by other players, so it seems no different than rerolling the character.
    Last edited by Gatester; Feb 13th, 2013 at 18:13:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I actually checked all my accounts on test, I ended up losing names I have had since 2006 before the name wipes to...no one. Made me laugh, don't really care but it is funny and I would like to keep a few names I may use after this eventual merge.

Ironbear since 2006
    Spambot...somehow lost that random name from forever ago lol
    Gilgamesh
    Enlighten
    Subterfuge
    Disciple
    Eleet
    Manifester, maybe not sure on that one but I have had that name since 2005 or 2006 but have rerolled that character, which brings me to an issue.

If you had a character back in say, 2003 and you had that name for years, however you decided to reroll that character in 2010 or so. Someone on a different server uses that name in 2008 and levels that character. Would the player who has had the name since 2003 but rerolled lose the name to someone who rolled a character with that name in 2008? Not sure if there is an easy way to deal with this situation, since many old names were lost and rolled by other players, so it seems no different than rerolling the character.
    Perhaps re-rolling a toon could be verified if the delete time and re-born time are close together and/or the new toon is also in the guild the deleted toon was in ...

I have the same issue with a couple of my lost toon names ... I posted them to a bug report since naming history does seem to keep this information ... helpbot can find it anyways.

Kinnik

So in short you're asking FC to save your name when you deleted a toon with that name then re-rolled it? May I point out that FC will only have data on the creation date of the latest toon with a given name rolled, and they will use this information for the naming algorithm. Therefore, if you've rolled a toon name 10 years ago, then re-rolled that toon a year ago, you will lose the name to a RK2 toon that was rolled with that name older than 1 year, which is also probably greater than level 15 or something (I think this is how the algorithm roughly works).

Helpbot doesn't use any FC database to track char history, mostly bots tend to use Auno for this information, with Auno taking a snapshop of the current player database on a regular basis (may be daily) to record said info. FC doesn't actually do this.

Well, if that is the case then I expect Funcom would have told all of us that have asked about this issue since the merge was announced .... they have not so far ... not that that necessarily means you are wrong.

I had assumed FC has data on the date/time a name is deleted and can compare that to the date/time it is re-born ... when the time between these two is less than 5 minutes it is fairly safe to say the same person deleted and re-rolled their toon.

Perhaps this is more than the algorithym is able to do ... if so I would advise FC to expect a lot of petitions once the merge actually happens. Unless they come out with a response in advance of how these situations will be treated.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Dream View Post
    So in short you're asking FC to save your name when you deleted a toon with that name then re-rolled it?
    I am not asking FC to do anything, I was just curious as to whether you could lose your name for that reason.

I am not asking FC to do anything
    Sorry, I was referring to Kin! .. Also I believe they have inferred that, but stipulating character creation date in the algorithm, rather than originally re-rolled character creation date on a specific account. As much as I agree with you, and that if you had a name on an account from way back and simply re-rolled, then it would have been nice to have kept that name.
    On the other hand, re-rolling usually is to re-make a char in one shape or another, whether it be IPs, breed, gender etc ... all of which I'm sure FC would rather have you dip your hand in your pocket to pay for in-game alterations of this manor, and I consider re-rolling as a game mechanism not to be profitable for FC, and as such why should they support it by keeping names. .. that's just a notion from a business perspective.

I was just curious as to whether you could lose your name for that reason.
    Well from all the various posts of people who this has happened to, as well as the comments above, I'd be inclined to say .. yes.

I think this might be one of those rarer conditions where you would contact CS after the merge and ask to get your name back.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Id like to know if the standard will be to do a petition to change your name from Ab12345678 to something normal???
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Does this mean you are "happy" with the naming algorithym ...

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=603425

No mention of any changes to algorithym in latest patch notes above.

I guess I will be petitioning for name corrections ... as I am still loosing toon names to smaller toons as well as situations where there is no other toon with the name.

Kinnik

Dude your name is goddamn creepy anyway, maybe you should just roll with it, damn.
    <Lazy> who knew ao f*rum denizens were such homophobes?

Lordstage Free to do anything
    Byracka iddqd
    Battlespork Eats what he kills
    Bloodforbaal Utter bastard
    Pinealgland Too weird to live, and too rare to die
    Dagenham Radioactive courier
    Fascinated Elderly nature enthusiast

For clarification, when was the last "dry run" of merging on TestLive? I'm losing count of how many merges have been done.
    :E

Quote Originally Posted by -Stage- View Post
    Dude your name is goddamn creepy anyway, maybe you should just roll with it, damn.
    Yea.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast