Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The naming algorithm is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Khlin View Post
    Confirming this.

My 150 trader (RK1) lost the name to a 220 soldier (RK2) even while the 220 dude doesn't seem to have been logged since early 2011.
    how do you figure one has not logged in for years?
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Solaar View Post
    Yeah and that would fail the reality check.

There's a couple of criteria by which this would have to be done.

Character creation date (older weighs higher)
    Character last activity (more recent weighs higher)
    Character total playtime (longer weighs higher)
    Character is on Premium Account (ie. paid weighs higher)

Probably even more criteria could be applied. A simple first-come-first-served will not do the trick here.
    These are more-or-less the criteria we used. I just think there is something wrong in the script. We're looking into it.

Instead of character creation date, the last name change would make more sense to me. So name creation should outweigh char creation if this information is available to the naming algorithm.

Imagine someone created a char with an inappropriate name on one server, but didn't actually play that toon for a while so no one noticed. In the meantime one creates a char with Name XYZ on the other server. Some time later the first player begins playing his char, get its name petitioned and changes it to name XYZ. I think in that chase player 2 should get preference even as he created his char later.

On the other hand that scenario might be so rare and special it could be handled manually by CS if one feels it happened.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Only criterion should be time played.
    Dragocz RK1

Quote Originally Posted by Dragocze View Post
    No. A brand new level 10 froob that stays logged in 24/7 for a week should not receive my name when I paid for full expanions for 7 years and am 220/30/70.

Also, perma-banned accounts should lose their names regardless of any criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragocze View Post
    There are still issues with this too though. Say someone used to play a character for years and stops playing, then someone else made a character on the other server with the name but plays for half the time instead. The inactive account's names would end up with priority, and that player may never actually play again either.

The combination of all the algorithms is the best way to avoid issues.

"First come, first serve" works totally for me.
    If a toon was created, no matter for what usage, it should keep the name.
    There's been several wipes of inactive pre lvl 5 toons to free up names.
    Why I think so? Simple example: you make a toon years ago, then for some reason make another and level that up first. So the first made toon gets some dust, you want to level it up later. Now someone makes a char with the same name on another server, powerlevels it up and suddenly you find yourself losing that name you maybe even put some thought into. Sound fair? Not to me.

If toons are on accounts that are frozen for a certain time, I can see it might make sense to look into that. But when it comes to active accounts, I say first one to pick a name wins.
    I don't see why a paid account should overrule a froob account. Maybe the froob is even more active than the paid one?
    Thaylia - Martial Artist
    Spellseeker - Nanotechnician
    Kahja - Doctor

"Authenticity is achieved by saying what you´re doing, and doing what you´re saying." - Johannes Rau
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~
    Socializer 80%, Explorer 53%, Achiever 53%, Killer 13%

Well. If this was part of FC's nefarious plan to get players who have never tried test to log on to the test server in a panic to see if all their names are gone, then well played FC, well played.

Luckily all mine survived intact , with one notable exception I'd like to share with y'all <3

RIP Scottpilgrim of RK1!!! The BEST lvl 2 enf who never left the SL nub platform EVER. Alas we hardly knew ye...

Now sadly renamed to Scottpilgrim867-5309

Innervoid 220 / 30 / 70 MA (sadly no longer teh main man cos MA haz no lub)
    Thedarknight 220 / 30 / 70 ADV (name reset FTW)
    Shrektehogre 220/ 30 / 70 KEEP (Prolly the Main, maybe)
    Enemywithin 220 / 30 / 70 AGENT (RAWR)
    Lastsamurai 220 / 30 / 70 SOL (6th 220 FTW!)
    Innerpeace 220 / 30 / 70 CRAT (First Calmer)
    Stargazer 220 / 30 / 70 MA DOC
    Abyssgazer 220 MP (8hr CM lubbin/all around MP gamp)
    Misterscott 220 ENGY / Deaconfroste 220 SHADE / Vforvendetta 220 ENF / Haljordan 220 Fix

Funcom employee

So yeah, time to calm down a bit and put down the pitchforks.

The algorithm currently on testlive doesn't work as it's intended to.
    We're going to fix it. The next run should have better results.

That's why we have a test server, to test these things on a larger scale.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post

Thanks, Will you start with a fresh copy of RK1 & RK2 with the next TL patch as a means to test the fix? Or, just run all the toons thru the new algorithym?

Kinnik

Wait.

You mean we have to go through this process ... AGAIN?

Nooooooooooooooooooo
    Innervoid 220 / 30 / 70 MA (sadly no longer teh main man cos MA haz no lub)
    Thedarknight 220 / 30 / 70 ADV (name reset FTW)
    Shrektehogre 220/ 30 / 70 KEEP (Prolly the Main, maybe)
    Enemywithin 220 / 30 / 70 AGENT (RAWR)
    Lastsamurai 220 / 30 / 70 SOL (6th 220 FTW!)
    Innerpeace 220 / 30 / 70 CRAT (First Calmer)
    Stargazer 220 / 30 / 70 MA DOC
    Abyssgazer 220 MP (8hr CM lubbin/all around MP gamp)
    Misterscott 220 ENGY / Deaconfroste 220 SHADE / Vforvendetta 220 ENF / Haljordan 220 Fix

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Thanks, Will you start with a fresh copy of RK1 & RK2 with the next TL patch as a means to test the fix? Or, just run all the toons thru the new algorithym?

Kinnik
    Talking with the DB guy, probably best to just to reapply the migration to the copy of Live again because there is no way to test the scripts on characters that have already had the name chosen. So "start over" in the sense we'll reapply the Live copy, and run through the migration again.

Thanks Ilaliya. It is quite nice to know that it is not working. Please understand, if we don't know what or how something is supposed to work it is quite difficult for us to definitively say whether or not it is working.

Nonetheless, I know I appreciate your looking into this and acknowledging there is a problem.

Thanks

Thanks for the information Ilaliya ... it sounds like you can re-use the copy you already made vs. taking a new copy of Live.

Kinnik

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Thanks for the information Ilaliya ... it sounds like you can re-use the copy you already made vs. taking a new copy of Live.

Kinnik
    Yeah, we're going to re-use the copy we made. There were a couple of issues with the naming scripts where they weren't working as intended. So we'll fix those, and run them again

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post

My worry is that if we didn't bring out the pitchforks and kicked up an almighty fuss, then you would have just assumed everything was hunky-dory and whacked it into Live at least we now know you actually look at feedback from these threads!

Having said that, I'm glad that something was found to be not working with the "algorithm" and hopefully next run makes more people happy. The criteria that you mentioned sounds ok enough to me.
    Last edited by cybertron; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 06:35:37.
    RK2 - Pimpmyride 220 Engi!

I have Gunnandahalf (a level 2 nt) instead of my Brother's created-on-release-day Gunnandahalf the first 200, first 220 NT ever

Really not sure what criteria could have possibly been applied to have that occur..
    Don't be lonely anymore.

Look at your post, now back at mine. Now back to your post, now back at mine. Sadly, yours isn't mine, but if you stopped trolling and started posting legitimate comments it could look like mine. Look down, back up, where are you? You're scrolling through posts, reading the posts your posts could look like. Back at mine, it's a reply saying something you want to hear. Look again, my reply is now diamonds. Anything is possible when you think before you post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah View Post
    I have Gunnandahalf (a level 2 nt) instead of my Brother's created-on-release-day Gunnandahalf the first 200, first 220 NT ever

Really not sure what criteria could have possibly been applied to have that occur..
    Kinstaah awesomeness criteria?
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by cybertron View Post
    My worry is that if we didn't bring out the pitchforks and kicked up an almighty fuss, then you would have just assumed everything was hunky-dory and whacked it into Live at least we now know you actually look at feedback from these threads!

Having said that, I'm glad that something was found to be not working with the "algorithm" and hopefully next run makes more people happy. The criteria that you mentioned sounds ok enough to me.
    Yeah... that's not how it works
    We're perfectly able to read bug reports without a riot.

Personally, after a certain threshold of inflammatory-ness of a thread, I think twice before posting in it.
    Last edited by Vhab; Jan 22nd, 2013 at 14:38:31.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

but where's teh fun in that?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast