Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The naming algorithm is terrible.

The naming algorithm is terrible.

Server Atlantean: "Lolicon" (11/0, Neuter Atrox Agent, Omni, Not in a guild)
    Server Rimor: "Lolicon" (220/17, Female Nano Meta-Physicist, Clan, Squad Commander of Never Knows Best)

On Testlive i lost my name to a level 11 that probably hasn't logged on in years. Whats the point of having 5 different categories when creation date out weighs them all?
    Last edited by Lolicon; Jan 20th, 2013 at 02:10:48.

That's hilarious.

But I really do think a 220 should take it over anything below 150 any day.

I also had a tl7 renamed over a tl2. I would bet that it's a froob or deactivated character who hasn't been accessed in over three years.

Maybe allow like, a few day reactivation at least to sort out names, for people that have names on deactivated accounts (I know one right now who would like that). Paying $15 just to delete a name would be sort of painful.
    Last edited by wonderland; Jan 19th, 2013 at 23:49:38.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

That sounds strange, yes. At least you always got the option to contact CS and let them manually change this after the Live merge.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Quote Originally Posted by Misat0 View Post
    That sounds strange, yes. At least you always got the option to contact CS and let them manually change this after the Live merge.
    I shouldn't need to, Theres no reason to weigh creation date so high when theres countless name holding froobs.

Server Atlantean: "Abinsur" (6/0, Male Opifex Fixer, Neutral, Not in a guild)
    Server Rimor: "Abinsur" (220/14, Neuter Atrox Shade, Clan, Squad Commander of Never Knows Best)

It's the same for some others in my org. They need to check played time, Or ignore level <15 toons if it's competing with a Tl7. Even if people level up to 15 to hold their names atleast it's active players and not people that left long ago.

BTW - its also happening with org names. I have had mine for several years now (RK2) and just logged my toons and now it has a bunch of numbers after the name.
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Quote Originally Posted by Lolicon View Post
    I shouldn't need to, Theres no reason to weigh creation date so high when theres countless name holding froobs.
    So you'd rather them spend their time going through every single name and double-check every single name to ensure a fair method is applied?

I think they have an efficient method. Go for 80%+ of names and sort through the remaining special cases as they come up.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarsolace View Post
    So you'd rather them spend their time going through every single name and double-check every single name to ensure a fair method is applied?

I think they have an efficient method. Go for 80%+ of names and sort through the remaining special cases as they come up.
    No that would be silly, I'd rather them take the time to rethink their algorithm and save both the Customer and GMs time after the merge.

All of my toons that lost their names lost to level 1-15 froobs, The exception is my Enforcer. I rolled the name on both servers and the 220 actually beat the level 6, But the level 6 was made just after the 220, So it's basically whoever made the toon first gets the name.
    Last edited by Lolicon; Jan 20th, 2013 at 04:49:54.

It seems name precedence goes to Atlanteen. I have the same toon name on both servers. One just hit 220/30 on RK-2 while the Atlanteen is a level 7 toon that I forgot I even had ( tried to delete the duplicate names of mine at least but missed one) and probably haven't even logged in since 2004 or 5. The Atlanteen toon got the name precedence. Put in a bug report to have this looked into to ensure the algorythm is working properly. Also lost a name to an Atlanteen toon that appears (based on helpbot !whois that was started afer my enforcer, is smaller, and hasn't logged in as recently as my RK2 toon. So really not sure how well the model is working at this time.
    Last edited by Deemure; Jan 20th, 2013 at 05:00:50.

Quote Originally Posted by Deemure View Post
    It seems name precedence goes to Atlanteen. I have the same toon name on both servers. One just hit 220/30 on RK-2 while the Atlanteen is a level 7 toon that I forgot I even had ( tried to delete the duplicate names of mine at least but missed one) and probably haven't even logged in since 2004 or 5. The Atlanteen toon got the name precedence. Put in a bug report to have this looked into to ensure the algorythm is working properly.
    Just a note - I also have the same names on both servers for several toons - it seems that whichever was created first gets the name. Level, time played, etc don't seem to have made a difference (for me).
    Utopia
    The continued search for an ideal community possessing a perfect socio-politico-legal system.

“ The first thing a child should learn is how to endure. It is what he will have most need to know. ” — Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I just posted a bug report as one of my toons from RK2 lost their name to a phantom. Her name is not in use on RK1 at all according to People of Rubika and she still lost her name.

I can't check the servers ... [Helpbot]: Unable to gather information on that user (This may be because the server was too slow to respond or is currently unavailable), but when I started the toon a few weeks ago there was no conflict that i could find.

Kinnik

Edit: I just checked one of my froob accounts and lost 5 out of 7 names, in all but one case the "winning" toon was a higher level, but I have no way now to check their creation dates with the name-history server unavailable.
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; Jan 20th, 2013 at 05:23:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolicon View Post
    No that would be silly, I'd rather them take the time to rethink their algorithm and save both the Customer and GMs time after the merge.

All of my toons that lost their names lost to level 1-15 froobs, The exception is my Enforcer. I rolled the name on both servers and the 220 actually beat the level 6, But the level 6 was made just after the 220, So it's basically whoever made the toon first gets the name.
    This.
    "Remember me? The one you got your technique from?"
    The worst possible response you could give when asked for proof of your statements.

My atlantean toons which holds the name for my toons of RK2 all got remade, though they aren't played in long long time...
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Atlantean: Pennypacker (Level 220 / Defender Rank 25) is a Clan Agent, Veteran of Instability

Rimor: Pennypacker (Level 10) is a Omni Nano-Technician »» More Information

The 220 got renamed :X

I would say any toon not over level 50 should get its name changed if there is another toon higher level with the same name. If there is a name discrepancy after that then I would say the winner goes to whatever account is active/activated first. So say that Name A is the name of a toon on rk1 and Name A is the name of a toon on rk2 and they are both inactive. The person who re-activates the account first should get it. If that wasn't the case then by default whoever has had the toon the longest should get it.

Wasn't there an instance a while back where FC freed up some names by renaming all the old/unplayed/frozen characters? What if FC did the same thing before the server merge, say, any paid account that hasn't been paid in over 2 years has all of its existing characters renamed. For froob, any character that hasn't logged in in over 2 years get renamed. In at least a fair amount of instances, this would likely help reduce the amount players losing an active 220 toon to some random level 6 nameholder.

In addition, if the renaming process did happen, have the names receive a -1 at the end if they're on RK1 or -2 if they're on RK2. This would help prevent 2 inactive characters with the same name from conflicting with each other. (Belligerence-1 and Belligerence-2)

If issues still exist then, priority should be given to the character on a paid account vs a froob account. If they're both froob/paid, THEN the creation date should be used. Not before.

I'm sure somebody will find a fault with this suggestion, but it seems like it would work fairly well to me at least.

(The suggestion isn't meant to stomp on froobs or anything, but paid players should be given priority over non-paying players.)

Edit: Also, if one person has both characters with the same name on the same account, they should be able to choose which character gets to keep the name, ignoring all the other suggestions above since it's their character.
    Quote Originally Posted by Collodion View Post
    I'll create a viral video to raise money to fight the evil hard water ring stains in toilet bowls. I'll raise millions to arm and equip thousands of Tidy Bowl Men. They will put up a good fight, but ultimately will lose the war. But at least I'll get a new car and a nice house with new toilet bowls out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Le-Quack View Post
    that helm helps so damn much for tl 4 and tl 5 twinks becose of the torturing.

Don't worry OP, I've petitioned your name for being inappropriate meaning you can freely chose a new one when the GM contacts you.
    This was what I was wearing. Tell me I asked for it

Quote Originally Posted by Marinegent View Post
    Soldier reflects just flat out need to be much stronger all the time (70%~ at level 220 at all times...)
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowgod View Post
    the day our pets last forever, like yours, is the day your reqs will be lowered.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    To be fair, you are lucky the mods are as forgiving as they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    your an idiot

Can we please get a FC confirmation that we all will get a "free" name change that does not require sending in a petition if our character "lost" their old name due to this algorithm?

Kinnik

( I thought it was algorithym ... guess I have been spelling it wrong.)

Ok, this is plain silly, once again funcom has asked us to determine whether something is working without bothering to tell us how it is supposed to work.

News flash, if you don't tell us how something works, or at least what outcomes should be how can we possibly determine if it is working or not. So I would recommend everyone that does not understand the outcome of the naming convention put in a bug report. If we can't tell whether it is working or not, the only option is to make them tell us in each circumstance whether it was or was not working properly.

It just came to my mind that the "real" naming algorithm might not have been used for the test merge so that no one would be able to guess how it works and then tries to gamble it before the Live merge.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Quote Originally Posted by Deemure View Post
    Ok, this is plain silly, once again funcom has asked us to determine whether something is working without bothering to tell us how it is supposed to work.
    this.
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast