Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The naming algorithm is terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Sama View Post
    so how do a change the new temp name to a new name?
    /name nick Fcplsdosomethingright

Quote Originally Posted by Sama View Post
    so how do a change the new temp name to a new name?
    The old /name nick 'new name here' command has been changed to allow one-time only name change for those that lost their names to the merge.

There is no way to check if a name is available though ... other than testing the name by starting a froob toon and deleting the froob if the name works.

Kinnik

edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by korvaoo View Post
    /name nick Fcplsdosomethingright
    ... too many characters

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    The old /name nick 'new name here' command has been changed to allow one-time only name change for those that lost their names to the merge.

There is no way to check if a name is available though ... other than testing the name by starting a froob toon and deleting the froob if the name works.

Kinnik

edit:
    ... too many characters
    u can test it with name request, it tells u if its valid or available (most fun/good names are not)

At some point can you tell us what the naming algorithym is ... ???

And/or which names were intended to be kept and which ones lost? With examples ...

So we can tell if it is/was "working as intended".

Perhaps you would get fewer petitions if we knew what it was supposed to do ... of course we know you will wait until post-merge.

Kinnik
    Now we have an answer .....

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...39&postcount=1

Thanks Ilaliya

Kinnik
    So, 18.6 has been on the Live server for what 6 weeks now ... and there are still people who "won the toss" with the naming algorithm that have not logged into the game yet.

You can tell they have not logged in as the in-game name look-up says no such user exists, but you can not use or start a toon with that name because it is "reserved". Why should my toon have a name full of numbers if the other player hasn't logged their toon in since the merge?

I would suggest that if these toons with reserved names do not log in once the new character slots are available ... or give them two weeks after 18.6.2 to log in their toon ... then they should loose their "reservation" and the toon that "lost the toss" should be able to use the name, or anyone else for that matter.

If two weeks isn't long enough then pick a deadline after which all reserved names will have a -1 or -2 or -3 added to the end so that the name would then be available to active players.

Kinnik

So, 18.6 has been on the Live server for what 6 weeks now ... and there are still people who "won the toss" with the naming algorithm that have not logged into the game yet.

You can tell they have not logged in as the in-game name look-up says no such user exists, but you can not use or start a toon with that name because it is "reserved". Why should my toon have a name full of numbers if the other player hasn't logged their toon in since the merge?

I would suggest that if these toons with reserved names do not log in once the new character slots are available ... or give them two weeks after 18.6.2 to log in their toon ... then they should loose their "reservation" and the toon that "lost the toss" should be able to use the name, or anyone else for that matter.

If two weeks isn't long enough then pick a deadline after which all reserved names will have a -1 or -2 or -3 added to the end so that the name would then be available to active players.

Kinnik
    I have toons I'm waiting to logon until I get my max character slots. The combining of dimensions has left me toon heavy and slot poor.

I'm in the same situation as Kakes (regarding not activating some of my toons yet).

However, in my case the toons who "lost" their names lost them to myself so I am not too upset over that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakes View Post
    I have toons I'm waiting to logon until I get my max character slots. The combining of dimensions has left me toon heavy and slot poor.
    Indeed, many people are likely waiting until the character slots are increased ... that is why I suggested FC wait some amount of time after character slot patch hits Live server to make this change to open up reserved names if not logged in by that future date.

Kinnik

Freeing up reserved names of toons that have not logged in since Merge seems like a good idea. I don't know how difficult it would be to code though, it is probably not high on the priority list if it would take a lot of coding.

Wait some announced amount of time after 18.6.2 is on the Live server, ofc.

Sage

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567