Thread: Monthly Development Update – Dec 3rd 2012

/grumpy old voice on
    You know kids, back in my days there wasn't any deadline, updates just came out and we were all happy.
    /grumpy old voice off
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Can some one tell me why a server merge is rocket science in this case when it has happened to many other games before?

Quote Originally Posted by mishikato View Post
    Can some one tell me why a server merge is rocket science in this case when it has happened to many other games before?
    Check Vhab post ...should clear it for ya
    Cleric "Jpreston" Firstclass - Bureaucrat Squad Commander of Paradise

Lets say you have file.zip that you have to unzip but you don't have Winzip so you have to make your own to unpack it. I may be wrong but that's how i think of it.
    SOON™coming back...
    Neosh 220/20 Shade | Neokirurg 220/21 Doc crit setup | Neoc 216/18 Crat
    Shades are really invisible (from FC point of view)
    Patterns/symbs SALE ----- Refined imps SALE

Funcom employee

11 years of legacy data
    That's why.

It's not rocket science though. Since server merge went in for testing we're not actually spending all our time on developing it.
    It just takes time for QA to run through tests, report back issues, for us to fix them, make a new build for QA, etc.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

I am sure I do not understand all the complexities associated with unpacking the blob, etc. but there are several references to code interactions. From this, I can only conclude that the unpacking/packing character transfer process indeed includes changes to the functuional code. It there wasn't, there would be no need to comment on potential interactions. Since comments were made, it appears there are indeed functional code changes. As such, I will repeat a previous question as to whether any functional testing was done pertaining to these changes. It is fine that transfer scripts were tested, data bases verified, etc. But there is a scary silence on functional code changes/testing parameters. Perhaps I am being silly in the question, but over the years I have learned not to take much for granted when it comes to functional programs and database interactions.

OK, they're all doing a wonderous job and it's all going to go fantastically well. So why can't/won't anyone answer me when I ask about what happens after the merge if there are two orgs of the same name but unassociated with each other on each server? I've asked already in this thread and I've PM'd TPTB but to no avail.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyMox View Post
    OK, they're all doing a wonderous job and it's all going to go fantastically well. So why can't/won't anyone answer me when I ask about what happens after the merge if there are two orgs of the same name but unassociated with each other on each server? I've asked already in this thread and I've PM'd TPTB but to no avail.
    The script picks a winner based on a pre-defined set of criteria. We took a look when we started at the existing org names, and in all cases we found collisions it was "obvious" who deserved the name. So the script was designed to prevent someone with foreknowledge of the pending migration to deliberately make a same-named org on the other server in order to try and grief an existing org. But if you log in and feel you've been horribly wronged, you can contact customer service and make your case.
    Last edited by Ilaliya; Dec 19th, 2012 at 18:36:17.

Any chance for a free month?

Subbed early December for the server merge, though i don't mind much...just wondering.
    Devil Inside
    Demon Inside

I'd like it if the server merge could have a small error and replace all of my equipped items with Blackmane's Stat Buffer please.

Quote Originally Posted by Esssch View Post
    I'd like it if the server merge could have a small error and replace all of my equipped items with Blackmane's Stat Buffer please.
    I would be okay with all of my AI armor getting replaced with Digamma ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

Vhab & Ilaliya...

Any word on PvP changes or how we'll be getting back to a point where it correlates with the name of the game, Anarchy Online?

WTB Old Title System... please. That was seriously the most fun element of this game imo

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecheeze View Post
    Vhab & Ilaliya...

Any word on PvP changes or how we'll be getting back to a point where it correlates with the name of the game, Anarchy Online?

WTB Old Title System... please. That was seriously the most fun element of this game imo
    You mean the one where you get ranked with NPC difficulty titles like Rookie, Fresh, etc? Or does that still happen? I haven't pvped in a very very long time.

You mean the one where you get ranked with NPC difficulty titles like Rookie, Fresh, etc? Or does that still happen? I haven't pvped in a very very long time.
    If that isn't what happens, I think it should be. As a non PVPer, I think that's a great system.
    -Tanisthonus. 212MP. Unity of the Rose. Atlantean.

Those were legacy titles. Freshman, Rookie, Apprentice, Novice, Neophyte, Experienced, Expert, I forgot what came next.. (Champion/Master/Grandmaster??)

Now it's some weird profession based title system that I don't like because I have no idea what the title means.

Coming home!
    "Pwndedto"---------- 150 Enforcer
    "Pwnded"------------ 60 Martial-Artist
    "Pwnded2"----------- 60 Keeper Pre-AI (Retired)
    "Ipalm"-------------- 40 Agent
    "Hybrid069"----------- 25 Enforcer Setup
    ex-Circle of Notum

On the plus side with the server merge and everyone getting shoved into instanced cities...ground AI raids have essentially become the apartment boss.

Where's Alex11 so we can tell him the good news?

The new pvp tittle system is just awful!

If FC says they removed the previous system because it had its flaws well this system is pretty much built up on flaws and farm!

Please either make a new pvp system where u can win and lose titles or bring back the old legacy titles. This non sense farm must stop.
    PvP n' Stuff (more soon™)

Proud President of Mercenaries

Happy holidays and here's to next year then =)

Quote Originally Posted by Traderjill View Post
    Why keep giving the playerbase dates (end of the year = by 12/31/2012) if you don't know for a fact (with the exception of natural disasters and such) that it can happen? Furthermore, if we as players read their announcement and didn't think it reasonable then why doesn't the dev team have the same foresight that we have?
    There seems to be a problem with the internet itself.

(sorry, I had to )
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkripper View Post
    The new pvp tittle system is just awful!

If FC says they removed the previous system because it had its flaws well this system is pretty much built up on flaws and farm!

Please either make a new pvp system where u can win and lose titles or bring back the old legacy titles. This non sense farm must stop.
    And remove the deserter so we are able to save our newly farmed titles via /afk. And give points for each /afk down and titles too. I can see it: Grand-AFKler Belzarage... Awesome
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

Old pvp-system discouraged pvp, even tho the current one isn't very good.

I don't think adding xp-reward to BS helps pvp either.

The bor-mission and afk-mechanic is pointless now due to deserter-system and since reward comes from NPC. Might as well take it off. On a similar note; New bs fails and the changes was exaggerated.
    Disclaimer: My posts should not be read by anyone.

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast