Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soloing

Soloing

I'm curious what benchmark do others use for pvm to know how well your toon is put together?

I usually use pen cata bosses or Inf dungeon bosses for my toons. I would say pen catas bosses are harder than even Inf easy mission bosses. I'm bringing this up because after the init fix, I have extremely tough time on pen cata bosses unless I use shield and dmg debuffs. Now granted the rebalance doc may not be set in stone, but without shield reflects/aad AND lower duration on debuffs I don't think it will even be possible in the future to solo those bosses unless the attack pet is a lot better than it currently is. (fingers crossed)

Anyone else have these or similar concearns? What can you do now that you don't think you will be able to do in future after rebalance?
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Survive 8 seconds in BS.

I usually try beating some of the inferno dynas, they vary in lvls and different ones give different chalanges. One that recently surpriced me was that i got absolutely murdered by Creepy Spider even in shield (mighta played it wrong too tho) but before if i remember it correctly i was able to kill it
    Metafly7 220/30/70 "E"

Advfly7 170/19/42 "E"

Proud member of ~Spirit~ Rubi-Ka Atlantean

Anarchy proves this quote wrong: "War would end if the dead could return." ~ Stanley Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    I'm curious what benchmark do others use for pvm to know how well your toon is put together?

I usually use pen cata bosses or Inf dungeon bosses for my toons. I would say pen catas bosses are harder than even Inf easy mission bosses. I'm bringing this up because after the init fix, I have extremely tough time on pen cata bosses unless I use shield and dmg debuffs. Now granted the rebalance doc may not be set in stone, but without shield reflects/aad AND lower duration on debuffs I don't think it will even be possible in the future to solo those bosses unless the attack pet is a lot better than it currently is. (fingers crossed)

Anyone else have these or similar concearns? What can you do now that you don't think you will be able to do in future after rebalance?
    :P I still can solo Pen Cata Bosses on Bow MP. But on rebalance they are going to kill our DD debuffs, that are a must to solo as MP. So... Our ability to solo PVM in future is kinda nebulous, we losing our main stuff to solo (DD debuffs, Shield from shield users) but we gonna get a better Healpet, and a massivelly HP'd Attackpet that will probably sustain aggro.
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Eel/smug

If I had to guess, I would think our soloing would improve post-rebalance, as the AOE mezz will help with adds, and our top heal-pet will have near doc-level healing on other pets. So we'll function like a one man team: Notum Scourge tanks and DDs, heal pet heals the tank, mezz pet mezzes, we debuff/DD. Too early now to know for sure though.

I would agree soloing would probably be better versus a mass of yellow- green mobs yes. But versus that one on one nasty...Like Xark or Razor. Which I have done with shield...A VERY VERY grueling effort. (Took 2 pets and perk roots though) I've even soloed the dead engineer/undead shades (can't remember name) for the inf ring quest.

On paper I just don't see this as even a possibility in the future. Thats what worries me. If I go from Inf dynas and pen cata bosses down to barely able to handle Ado dryad bosses I will be extremely disappointed.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Quote Originally Posted by Psikie View Post
    I would agree soloing would probably be better versus a mass of yellow- green mobs yes. But versus that one on one nasty...Like Xark or Razor. Which I have done with shield...A VERY VERY grueling effort. (Took 2 pets and perk roots though) I've even soloed the dead engineer/undead shades (can't remember name) for the inf ring quest.

On paper I just don't see this as even a possibility in the future. Thats what worries me. If I go from Inf dynas and pen cata bosses down to barely able to handle Ado dryad bosses I will be extremely disappointed.
    lol dont worry, i think youll still be able to solo those ado dryads :P
    Lilkueg 220/26/6x Opifex Shade
    Kuegen 211/11 Atrox Enforcer
    And Many More!

I've tanked successfully about half a dozen mitaar's before it became excruciatingly lackluster with drops. Not worth the time / effort considering better options out there. However, i was rather proud of myself the first time I did it. Only cost me about 80 castings of pets and countless failures.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnykay View Post
    Survive 8 seconds in BS.
    LOL!!!

/thread win

But seriously, solo LoTV. Then when you do, realize you spent all that time PvM'ing for nothing other than now you can say you solo'ed the LoTV.

LOL, I'm a MP.

I'm with SSCH on this one: Solo Eel or Smug and you're doing decently PvM Soloing wise. Pack a lunch, don't forget to let people know where you are since it's going to take forever and a blasted day to put them down...but yeah.

Alrighty, I've been trying to get back in the swing of things, and have been practicing with solo PvM. So far I've succeeded with Eel, Medusa Philanderer, Afreet Ellis, Nyame's Drudge, Limnos, Cyrus and Crete while failing with hilarious speed against Anansi's Right Hand. Eel was a bit tricky, but the others were not too bad. All with newbshield of course.

Has anyone else done testing on what we can solo after the mob initiative bug fix?

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    Alrighty, I've been trying to get back in the swing of things, and have been practicing with solo PvM. So far I've succeeded with Eel, Medusa Philanderer, Afreet Ellis, Nyame's Drudge, Limnos, Cyrus and Crete while failing with hilarious speed against Anansi's Right Hand. Eel was a bit tricky, but the others were not too bad. All with newbshield of course.

Has anyone else done testing on what we can solo after the mob initiative bug fix?
    Init bug fix doesnt really affect much our solo skills, since we never had init debuffs to begin with
    Btw, how many seconds u stand against Anansi Hands? 1, 2? Once I managed 5 seconds. No joke <.<
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink

Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with

Well, the initiative bug fix does still impact us in that big monsters hitting faster hurts us as much as anyone else . Just tried Razor, that didn't go particularly well once Rhiwen went down. I'm not sure how long I lasted against Anansi's Right Hand, but it was not long.

As to the other topic of discussion here, our solo capability with the nano-doc as opposed to our current tool set, I think we'll be ok.

From a solo perspective, the big things we're losing are SoZ, 100% uptime damage debuffs and NSD (which works on a lot of soloable but difficult mobs). Sacrificial Shielding might be an issue also, but I've never found it that useful for PvM, though I know it was Neverest's primary tool in soloing LoTV.

We're gaining better nukes (not useful solo except for speed), better attack pet (particularly if it's got lots of health and can keep agg this will be useful), DtP nano (this should replace most of the reflects we're losing, 20% DtP to 30% reflect on SoZ), a better evade nano (250 duck/dodge/evade against 60), a pet proc that debuffs what the pet hits by 200 AAD and 150 AAO, a tougher, AOE mezz pet, and better healing (a bit more than 4x healing on players, 8x healing on pets when using creation weapons and with soothing spirits 10 perked).

Assuming that a current SoZ 220 MP goes to Red shield/1hb creation and runs the debuff proc, the proc and better evade nano almost exactly cancel out the loss in AAD from current SoZ to nano doc SoZ. 20% DtP is worse than 30% reflect, and the 1/3 uptime damage debuffs stop slightly less incoming damage than our current DD debuffs. However, we'll have 4 times the healing, and we'll be taking significantly less than 4 times the damage. This character would also have markedly better DPS than a current SoZ MP, due to better nukes, some dps from the creation 1hb, and better pet.

Looks to me like it should be better for solo PvM - and possibly quite a bit better if Notum Scourge can tank.
    Last edited by JustinSane4; Nov 26th, 2012 at 05:00:26. Reason: corrected an editing error

Nice analysis. I just wasn't quite sure what you meant by:

Quote Originally Posted by JustinSane4 View Post
    We're gaining better nukes (not useful solo except for speed),
    X
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremTech View Post
    X
    I think he meant that more damage doesnt really help us to solo stuff. Its not like we died because the mob did not died (unless in neverest lotv case, where DD would be awesome)

I guess that's how I would have read it... but it really is still the case, that if you're able to solo something, then you have to kill it before it kills you. Indeed he mentions the extra DPS later as being of benefit.

I just wondered if there were some other more substantive reason to say that the nukes weren't useful.

X
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

Pre-reroll I got Kaehler, Jr. down about 2/3 before I had to log, which was hilarious because while I could have killed him, I had rk4 come up and so I was trying to get clean away from him, Eel I wound up doing with Ssch a looong while ago (pretty sure he could have handled it, it was more a matter of cutting the time down immensely.), but post-reroll I never really got around to testing out my toon after getting to 220.

On the way though I was surprised to find myself killing 210 inferno mobs at 170ish solo as part of the Inferno questline, but that wasn't easy by any stretch of the imagination. I'm reasonably sure I could handle most things in Inferno this time around but I'd have to go down there some day and see.

Some of these posts make me want to resub, but I know the same things that drove me away before would drive me away in record time. Namely, no one playing, being an MP, terrible leveling experience for alts, and not having anything to do.

Quote Originally Posted by XtremTech View Post

X
    The extra DPS doesn't allow us to kill any difficult mob we couldn't otherwise kill. On anything that's a challenge to solo, you wear it down after your health ends up in a stable range where your defenses are equal to the opposing DPS. Better nukes will take stuff down faster, but not alter what can be taken down. So it's very helpful in team PvM, and very convenient in solo PvM, but doesn't really change what we can beat. If we weren't getting an AOE mezz pet, it would matter for alphaing down adds in case of a bad pull or re-spawn, but the mezz pet should be able to take care of those.

So basically, what Lainbr said .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast