Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update – Nov 5th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmax View Post
    Isn't dreamworld engine supporting cuda? multiple cores (threading) for other things is probably the best
    from what i've read, CUDA is used on TSW servers to do some calculations, not on clients :/
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

I was asked to pick about keeping a character or not when I logged in earlier. Was caught a bit off guard. I had thought it would be later on.
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Silvana View Post
    I was asked to pick about keeping a character or not when I logged in earlier. Was caught a bit off guard. I had thought it would be later on.
    No you weren't. You were asked if you wanted to spend a character slot on this character. This has been in since the last patch, and has nothing to do with what characters you are able to play now or in future as you don't have less than 8 character slots and cannot have more than 8 characters on a server.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I won't argue. I haven't had a ton of time in the game lately, so I'll believe you
    AO Universe - By Players, For Players! The #1 AO fansite worldwide - Site Manager || Follow us on Twitter and Facebook!

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Teknologist View Post
    From a database point of view there are a few easy ways to fix this:
    Considering you are already using the "full range of 32bit unsigned integers" you are going to run out of char ID's at some point in the future. It makes sense to consider changing the Char ID datatype from INT (max value 2,147,483,647 using 4 bytes) to BIGINT (max value 9,223,372,036,854,775,807 using 8 bytes).
    <snip>
    The database change would be the easy part. Of course we already considered this.
    The code part however would take many weeks if not months to find every single bit of code that (correctly) assumes the ID to be 32bit on the server, client, tools, external tools and more.
    Finally, we'd have to deal with legacy data from various sources that are not easily changed with a single query (think binary storage, storage that is not in a database, etc).
    It wouldn't just affect just character IDs, it would affect the entire ID system.
    With a project the size of AO, no change is ever an easy change.

But please do note, I didn't say all the issues related to the change of IDs are being ignored.
    I'll be trying to mitigate some of them.

I can say however we will not make an "old id" to "new id" mapping publicly available for bots to query.

Quote Originally Posted by Teknologist View Post
    Obviously without all of the database information I can only speculate on these things.
    As a DBA I would gladly help you guys through this migration and future updates. I'm sure I could come up with all kinds of data optimizations you guys haven't thought of.
    Thank you for the offer, but we have a resident Oracle DBA who can do all kinds of crazy optimization magic
    Last edited by Vhab; Nov 7th, 2012 at 13:46:25.
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

Quote Originally Posted by Cdogg421 View Post
    has someone made the rollback 2012 shirts yet?
    I actually Lol'd

+1
    One profession to RoO them all, one profession to proc stun them, one profession to calm them all and in the darkness Exp perk them!

Crataiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution - 3rd AI 30 'Crat on RK 1 Setup
    Calms 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution
    Medicaiken 220/30/70 General - Primal Evolution Setup
    Newen 220/30/70 President - The Galactic Milieu
    Mettagirl 220/20/** General - Primal Evolution
    Krataiken 150/18/40 General - Primal Evolution Setup

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    I wanted to know if it will run with the integrated board or we will really need an outside offboard graphic card ;o
    Depends entirely on which integrated graphics card you're refering to. Modern integrated GPUs, like in an AMD APU, or the latest intel CPUs, are fairly powerful and can actually play games. Old ones, not really.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    I can say however we will not make an "old id" to "new id" mapping publicly available for bots to query.
    Is there any more reasoning to it apart from lack of time/resources? As in, you intentionally want people be able to start from clean sheet (name change after merge and you are effectively new, untraceable person), etc?
    Adding old ID to your database (and my guess is that it will be there anyway, to address potential issues with the merge) and PoRK XML does not seem like a task that can take "weeks" of development effort...
    220 Shade | 220 NT | 220 Crat | 220 Fixer | 220 Agent | 165 Adv

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Depends entirely on which integrated graphics card you're refering to. Modern integrated GPUs, like in an AMD APU, or the latest intel CPUs, are fairly powerful and can actually play games. Old ones, not really.
    Well, since I bought my notebook this year I assume its a new version. But I'm worried cause it does not run TSW. And I'll not have a proper computer in my hands till sep/13 Nor have money to buy a proper computer (and ever if I had I wound not since I would need to get rid of it before sep/13)
    Lainbr - 220/30/70 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - E / Spirals - 220/30/70 Enforcer Solitus - E / Kokusho - 201/22/55 Fixer Nanomage - Equip Soon ;o
    Traderbr - 180/0/0 Trader Nanomage - / Kaoru - 60/0/0 Meta-Physicist Nanomage - totw semitwink
    Proud veteran of Spartans

To devs: You failed redesigning MPs as NTs with pets. I want my debuffer back.
    Dreamer: Basically - I wish THIS much effort was put in to ALL profs rebalance docs.

Kintaii: Genele is more hardcore than you, your guildmates, and anyone else you've ever played with
    Anarrina: Trust me, I'm not that scary in real life.

Just a brief comment, perhaps more of a suggestion. Please consider locking down all tower fields for two weekss after the migration. Then maybe even instituting a new controlled land sale like was done when notum wars first came out. I think this would allow orgs to get organized and the player/twinks moved over before the battle resumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Cdogg421 View Post
    has someone made the rollback 2012 shirts yet?
    The shirt printer has the roll back logo and text ready to print. I will have them for 19.99 each and will be available in my online store if a roll back occurs. Colors will be Black, White, Red, Xan like Blue, Tir City Brown and AI Alien like Green. Sizes will be S,M and L. If you want XL or XXL those will be 22.99 and come in the same colors. The shirts will be a Hanes Tag-less style tee shirt.

Front Of Shirt
    "Funcom NCU Forced to run Rollback!"

Back of Shirt
    "I survived the AO Server Roll Back"
    Logo will be between the lines
    "Month Day, 2012"
    Lheann
    President of When I Grow Up

Lhisa - MA - RK1
    MaxKillz - Enf - RK1
    Namaru - Enf - RK1

"If you find yourself loosing a fight, your tatics suck."

Quote Originally Posted by Deemure View Post
    Just a brief comment, perhaps more of a suggestion. Please consider locking down all tower fields for two weekss after the migration. Then maybe even instituting a new controlled land sale like was done when notum wars first came out. I think this would allow orgs to get organized and the player/twinks moved over before the battle resumes.
    Land sale? For credits?

Bidding starting for 300ql fields at 1B? ;D

Not a bad idea ;D
    Ekarona 220/30 Female Solitus Engineer, long term member of Northern Star and proper "poor" gimp.
    Ekaslave 220/low Female Solitus Trader, FLAT(TM) pricing TS, almost all can do!
    Ekaros almost there/almost there too Male Solitus Martial-Artist.
    Ekadv gimp/gimp Female Opifex Adventurer

I understand that with the server migration ...

- Org presidents will receive a voucher to buy a new I-City plot and a package of "all the buildings you could imagine" so they can rebuild their org's city.

- Org presidents will transfer/migrate to the new server with their org-name and rank ... other org members will migrate with their org-name, but no rank. There is probably something in place to deal with duplicate org-names.

- Org presidents will need to re-promote their org members as they migrate over ... including their chat-bots.

What will happen to Org banks?
    Do org leaders need to empty the org banks before the migration? I guess put the credits into alts or their GMI account?

Does it matter if the Org leader is a froob toon ... assuming the org does not have a player city to worry about, just credits in the bank?

What happens to pending mail deliveries?
    I have toons on newbie island waiting for the NPE that have pending mail deliveries for the Jet-pack, etc. that would otherwise wait for them until they come off the island.
    Others could have other kinds of mail deliveries pending at the time of the server migration, from GMI transactions, etc.

Kinnik

Quote Originally Posted by Deemure View Post
    What is this "controlled land sale ... when notum wars first came out" you are speaking of? I havent seen anything like that back then.

I dont think "controlling the situation" is necessary anyway. It was pretty fun and intense back then. Hoping its gonna be a similar experience again.
    ಠ_ಠ

Quote Originally Posted by lainbr View Post
    Well, since I bought my notebook this year I assume its a new version. But I'm worried cause it does not run TSW. And I'll not have a proper computer in my hands till sep/13 Nor have money to buy a proper computer (and ever if I had I wound not since I would need to get rid of it before sep/13)
    The new engine will be nowhere even close to TSW, so you're likely good to go.

one thing to keep in mind, is that TSW has small 5 man dungeons, and in pvp everyone looks absolutely identical. the visual elements are fairly detailed and fairly high in resolution afaik.

Then, contrast that to AO that has (in theory) much larger raids and massive fluster-clucks like Tara and tower battles, but overall lower resolution textures.

There is a windows hack out there that allows you to trick your operating system into thinking you have a graphics Card, and be able to run games like TSW and AOC, but I have no knowledge of how or where, and wouldn't recommend it personally.
    Have a listen to my latest musical abomination.

Fixers run while engi's Build
    Soldiers gun near crats coffee, spilled

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    from what i've read, CUDA is used on TSW servers to do some calculations, not on clients :/
    both i guess. Its Nvidia tech.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironmax View Post
    both i guess. Its Nvidia tech.
    ahh my bad, i mixed up cuda and physx :/
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Wait, what? I'll have to spend a bit moving packs out or the bank, renaming, then putting them back again? Wasting time looking in them and finding stuff I forgot I had? Blast!
    I'm a Froob Neutral Trade Skilling Nanomage Engineer- by definition I hide round corners and let the bot do the fighting.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    But please do note, I didn't say all the issues related to the change of IDs are being ignored.
    I'll be trying to mitigate some of them.

Can we expect the PoRK xml to made available for the new server when it goes live or will there be a delay?

Since we won't have a char ID mapping to verify characters with we will obviously need to rebuild all of that data from scratch.
    This is going to wreak havoc for all org bots and numerous other service bots like the AOSpeak bots or raid bots, which keep track of users and their alts and online status and various other data (points anyone?).

I am working on a plan to deal with this for AOSpeak. I wish we knew when this is going to happen. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas feel free to join the discussion here: http://forums.aospeak.com/index.php?topic=58.0
    DROP TABLE AO.Secret_Nerf_Table

AOSpeak Site
    Join AOSpeak, the Anarchy Online Teamspeak 3 server!
    Send /tell speak help for more information.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast