Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible Explanations for Breed Changing?

Possible Explanations for Breed Changing?

Honestly, I have no idea; so I was wondering if you wonderful people could work some roleplay magic into rationalizing on how this could be.

*Stares holes into pants*
    Dagger 220/30/70 Shade // Attempted 219/24/?? Enforcer // Canidae 180/0/0 Adventurer // World 185/26/32 Meta-Physicist// Cramp 150/20/35 Engineer
    Ya wanna fix something - give RK mobs better xp, make RK matter again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mamman View Post
    Give shades love or we will stop buffing people!!

I just reckon Omni-Med is pretty creative these days, for a price..

I mean, there's already a ton of small privately owned labs that bolt on new heads without much trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Notcrattey View Post
    Honestly, I have no idea; so I was wondering if you wonderful people could work some roleplay magic into rationalizing on how this could be.

*Stares holes into pants*
    nanotechnology.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AWizardDidIt

I’m flattered that you value my opinion on the matter.

My Short Answer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCkOmcIl79s

My Not so Short Answer:

From looking at the item it appears to be a Right-Click, Done deal item. I don’t believe this conforms to lore in terms of the actual execution of the breed change. It was probably done because they either:

a) Didn’t want to put the players though a process which would explain it.
    b) Dev didn’t care to think of an explanation to implement.
    In either case, I think we can explain it on our own to interject it into the world.

The way I would explain it would be this.

The Breed Change Tokens are a Service you are purchasing from Omni-Med and/or Omni-Com and are used to modify your Insurance Policy. The thing that all Breeds have in common is that they are all Human (See: Breeds). The Atrox, Opifex and Nano are all modified Solitus but come from the same baseline DNA.

Perhaps it was found that whatever gene sequence was used to alter the breed is inconsequential to the Insurance System.

Or, more likely, they found a way to trick the soul. The insurance system is simply an adapted Pattern Database (See: Insurance). Perhaps with time and research they found a way to decode the Insurance Records and re-sequence the breed. Since the majority of the pattern is intact the soul would still be able to match after the alternation.

This Trial and Error could be used to help explain some of the Failed Breed mobs.

The Item is instant use, my explanation would require death to occur before a chance can be seen.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    The Item is instant use, my explanation would require death to occur before a chance can be seen.
    rightclicking the item /terminates you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    rightclicking the item /terminates you.
    Oh, Good. I didn't see something that indicated that on AUNO. All the better then ;D

Oh, Good. I didn't see something that indicated that on AUNO. All the better then ;D
    well, it doesnt ACTUALLY /terminate you. it sends you to the character creation screen. but let's pretend it does.

Wizards did it!

In all seriousness there's no official word on this yet, so feel free to speculate, maybe I can see about getting something made official from the results of the speculation.

Kintaiis' seat is still warm and Lore breaking stuff is already being put in lol.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Kintaii held the reigns when he put OTAF armor IG that clans could wear. *eyeroll*

Kintaii held the reigns when he put OTAF armor IG that clans could wear. *eyeroll*
    Why did you remind everyone...

ICC armor on omni
    Sentinel armor on neutrals
    OTAF armor on clan

it is just a little social thing and it probably annoyed me more than any change in AO. Yes, more than anything.

As for the breed change, if it was not for the increase or decrease in intelligence due to changing breeds, everything else could be attributed to simple cosmetic changes. Intelligence can be a physical change as well, modifieing the structure and quality of the individual's brain, but I do not think that would sit well with many people.

An alternative is that the breed change utilizes "old" data for people who have been saved into the insurance terminals. First off, I am simply going to consider anyone created from an insurance terminal after death as no different than a clone with the former individuals soul inside it. Therefore, the body itself should be irrelevent if the soul itself is adjusted to attach to another cloned form. All implants and equipment must be removed, so it is safe to say that you are not actually changing your old, existing body but in-fact moving to a new one entirely. That body you are moving into could be an old body for a person whose soul itself is gone, or the former owner simply could not be reclaimed. Not sure how this would be exactly.

I do wonder how a game with these insurance terminals can have any deaths other than natural causes due to old age or a malfunction of the insurance system though. I see RP reports of "X character was killed today" and I wonder, could he not afford insurance? Surely everyone on rubi-ka would insure regularly to avoid death. Anyone wanna explain that one in a short version for me? ;p
    Last edited by Gatester; Oct 4th, 2012 at 03:26:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatester View Post
    I do wonder how a game with these insurance terminals can have any deaths other than natural causes due to old age or a malfunction of the insurance system though. I see RP reports of "X character was killed today" and I wonder, could he not afford insurance? Surely everyone on rubi-ka would insure regularly to avoid death. Anyone wanna explain that one in a short version for me? ;p
    Regular insurance stops at old age, 70 iirc, as the resurrection gets unreliable at old age. There have been characters that had insurance later than that, but those were exceptions to the rule (possibly due to a good amount of money, or high positions within omni-tek).

As for people dying before old age, advanced hackers can delete or corrupt the data used to resurrect people. There also is a small chance, I believe 1/100, where the resurrection process just fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Leileena View Post
    Regular insurance stops at old age, 70 iirc, as the resurrection gets unreliable at old age. There have been characters that had insurance later than that, but those were exceptions to the rule (possibly due to a good amount of money, or high positions within omni-tek).

As for people dying before old age, advanced hackers can delete or corrupt the data used to resurrect people. There also is a small chance, I believe 1/100, where the resurrection process just fails.
    So hackers are responsible for NPC's being permanently killed, which would make fixers incredibly dangerous in a role-playing perspective. They should have an ability which increases rez sickness length to 2 hours

1/100 is not a small chance though given a population of 1000's of characters and who knows how many NPC colonists and bandits/crooks/outlaws dieing all the time. Would have to be somewhere around 1/100000 chance.

Hackers can disable the person's insurance records.
    Omni-Med or Omni-Com can elect to delete someone's records, even though they will deny it.
    You can be shot with a Permakill weapon, but they are incredibly expensive and rare.
    Or, like how Trousers died, you die off of Rubi-Ka where insurance does not exist.

Ah yes, I was about to say I missed the ability of Omni-Tek to terminate someone's insurance. Permakill weapons are of such rare and powerful nature that you'll likely never see them used.
    There's also NPC's like Phillip Ross, who didn't trust the insurance system and therefor never insured (and faced the consequences).
    The 1% error rate may seem like a pretty big one considering how many people die on a daily basis, but I do believe that was the actual value I read (but can't currently source, so feel free to doubt that :P). Player experiences of course are not subject to this error rate, so that makes it a bit hard to believe, but a lot of NPC's voice genuine fear of death, and this would very well explain that.

How is this:

After a radical breakthrough in insurance experimentation at the not-so-secret Omni-med base in Wailing Wastes, scientists discovered that the soul/psyche/life force of a being was malleable. This meant that through Notum-laced DNA implantation into another breed, the soul/psyche/life force was able to find the new body on death, even though it was not a direct clone of the original body and fit snugly into its new host.

Shortly after, Omni-tek capitalised upon this new insurance technology and made it a commercially viable product for soldiers of the Clans, Omni-tek and Neutral factions allowing members of all three to choose a breed that suited the situations they found themselves facing in day to day combat.
    Last edited by Raggy; Oct 4th, 2012 at 17:15:08.
    Pricecuts - 220 Trader
    Feel free to contact me via PM or in-game.

Raggy - 220 Bureaucrat || Raggeh - 220 Fixer | Back as 'Raggys' - Shade for the time being. | Nuclei - 217 Nanotechnician || Nanobiology - 214 Doctor

Tip #743: As noted in Tip #244, tea bags have an infinite variety of uses. However, there's always one jerk who will want to give you crap over drinking tea. Particularly if in a new town, use this as an opportunity to assert yourself. Any drunken idiot can win a bar fight. It takes a real man to win a bar fight while enjoying a cup of Earl Grey.

Chris Tucker is a major clan character and was a solitus before coming to Rubi Ka. He got reconstructed as Atrox upon arrival so he can be him own bodyguard.

I guess that what happen to colonists when you select your breed and profession. Even if we did not really bought it.

The most simple would be what Raggy said. You could only change breed on arrival on RK, before your first reclaim. Now it's possible because SCIENCE! made it possible.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Chris Tucker can't even believe what Boltgun just said.

considering the reclaim process is essentially "soul" transfer to a clone I guess they found some way to manipulate genetic markers in cloned bodies allowing for the "soul" to transfer to a different breed of clone reliably, throw in advanced genetics allowing them to create clones of people as different breeds keeping there genetic sequence as close to original as possible and breed change happens!

Plus a wheelbarrow full of steroids and a teeny tiny guillotine for soli guys that want to be trox

Chris Tucker can't even believe what Boltgun just said.
    I said weirder, anyway it is in the classic manual.
    Server first !!! Neutral Solitus Male Soldier named Boltgun to wear a short with pink spots on RK1 !!!
    N E U T R A L I Z E R S

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast