Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Memorial

The Memorial

This is a long ARK tradition, that I have decided (and been given permission to) share with you at this time. It seemed appropriate. We keep a thread for our Memorial, the bells tolling mournfully as ARKs come and ARKs go. Right now you're invited to share in this tradition. I hope to some extent that you will toll the bell in remembrance of the people who worked for you - the many, many ARKs, GMs, and Developers who have come and gone, but whose names you might remember that I have not listed here. You are also invited to toll the bell for those people who shaped your life on Rubi-Ka, your faction leaders, friends, adversaries. But this is intended as a respectful Memorial, and not anything but - keep it in that tone, please.

Originally written by ARK Fiacra. I've made a couple of changes.

-----------------------------------------------------
    I had just sat down in my usual spot. End of the bench, next to that beautiful old tree and the ever-burning campfire. I breathed in the wonderful combination of woodsmoke and forest and settled in to get a few petitions done. As usual, my activity was nowhere near where I wanted it to be.

*BONG*

I nearly jumped off the bench. In all my time here I'd never heard a bell ring.

*BONG*

It sounded like it was behind me, but that way was the lake. I got up to take a look.

*BONG*

Next to the water there's a sort of a deck. Someone had mounted an old ship's bell on the pole there. A group of people was gathered around it. They were taking turns ringing the bell.

*BONG*

I could hear them say something before they rang the bell, but from where I was, I couldn't make out the words. They looked very solemn. Some were crying.

*BONG*

I walked closer. Another person had walked over to the bell. He spoke.

"Gridcrash" *BONG*

I understood all at once. These people had come to remember friends now gone.

"Aythem" *BONG*

Some of the names I knew. Some I didn't. The whole history of ARK unfolded before me as they read the names and tolled the bell.

"Tchu" *BONG*

Now and then someone would recall an anecdote or a quote from the person. Others would laugh softly and maybe brush away a tear.

"Dreamsong" *BONG*

We stood for a long time, listening to the names, remembering friends and gen-mates no longer present. Wishing we could spend just a little longer with them.

"Devdas *BONG*

I felt the need to add my voice. I walked up to the bell hesitantly and grasped the cord.

"Haquihana" *BONG*

The last name was read at sunset. The peal of the bell echoed off the calm waters as the day ended. We stood in silence awhile longer, remembering, saying goodbye. Then, in small groups or singly, the gathered dispersed into the darkness.

"Just goes to show you can't replace the ones that go. Each to their own they brought something individual to this place. You can't fill shoes of people gone, nor can you find someone to replace them. But with what's brought, some is left behind. *Every* ARK leaves footsteps behind from where they came from, to where they went. We follow in those footsteps even if we do not want to, and they are still here; even if they appear not to be." ~Lornavash

"Parting is all we know of heaven and all we need to know of hell." ~Emily Dickinson, "Parting"

Years later....

The sound was deafening as the engines spooled up. The pilot nodded to the ground crewman who gave the "Clear" sign and hurried off the pad. The shuttle lifted into a hover.

Over the comm I heard the pilot: "2217 departing ICC for Morning Star with three pax."

"Roger 2217, you are clear. Contact Morning Star control. Good day."

"2217 switching."

The shuttle lifted, then rotated right. Accelerating, it moved off to the east.

Have I mentioned how much I hate goodbyes?

"Ops Control, they're on their way. I'm heading back to the GMPF."

"Thanks."

I closed my eyes and thought about the spot I wanted to be at. I felt the familiar tingle as the nanobots went to work.

I opened them again and found myself standing in front of the old ship's bell. The cold wind made a sound like Rubi-Ka herself was mourning.

I really hate goodbyes.

Metaing

*BONG*

Means

*BONG*

Eponyx

*BONG*

Frostrune

*BONG*

Shadowgod

*BONG*

Downshift

*BONG*

Kintaii

*BONG*

Lindelu

*BONG*

“So many, all at once”, I whispered. The wind only seemed to cry louder.

It seemed as though the very foundations of Rubi-Ka were slipping out from under us. People we had come to depend on. People we had come to love. People who had made Rubi-Ka what it is today. Gone.

How can we make it without them?

My shoulders sagged and I swayed a little. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder supporting me.

A voice behind me asked “Are you alright?”

Turning around, I saw an Opifex female I didn't recognize wearing an Assistant Advisor's uniform.

“Sorry, I didn't mean to startle you. I just finished my first sponsor session and my Advisor said it was ok to wander around.”

“It's alright”, I smiled. “How is your training going?”

“There's a lot to remember”, she shrugged. “Why is that bell here?”

I explained about the bell, and why I was here. I remembered my earlier question: How can we make it without them?

The answer was standing in front of me.
    Last edited by Anarrina; Dec 8th, 2012 at 08:24:22.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

Thanks for sharing that Anarrina.
    Gaveup 220/30/80 Smg

Very nice, Ana ... definitely puts many things into perspective. We, as players here, have known the people you speak of as names on a screen , faces in pictures... but you and the other employees know them as people. You see them as friends with real lives, real problems, and real family.... I think that more in the community should read this and take it to heart.

Thank you Ana. It seems like a nice thing you all do there. And thank you for allowing us to share and participate in it as well.
    -----------------------------------------

My hand slowly caressing the recently erected bell before me, on loan from ARK. For how long, we can only guess. My mind is consumed in thought about all those that it has rung for...all those lost, and how nice it was for ARK to share it, even if only temporarily.

I Hesitate for a moment, feeling like I'm intruding on a long standing, ancient and sacred tradition that I am not worthy of.

Looking off into the distance at the people gathered, Clan, Omni and Neutral alike, fluttering in and out of an usually large sea of "Green Names", and all here to pay their respects at the "wake", I sigh remorsefully as I watch as some of them begin to depart.

Tears clouding my eyes, I whisper, "I am not worthy to ring the bell. They were the Great Ones. They gave us life here, and hope and a future. How can I ring the bell when I am just an inhabitant here on Rubi-Ka and of no real importance"?

Setting the handle aside, I look up slowly across the crowd. Searching for some sign of hope, a prayer...anything.

As I wipe away the tears I see something.

I blink.

No, not some *thing*...some "one" in the distance.

I jump once and then twice trying to get a better view and realize it is Kintaii flying in all his GM glory over those who came to say their good-byes today to both him and Lindelu.

I jump again and wave, smiling at him, as he waves back. Suddenly I feel my inventory pack become just slightly heavier and looking, I realize he has blessed me with a token of his appreciation.

Lowering my head in gratitude, I wonder if I deserve such a gesture.

I whisper to him across the crowd knowing he will not truly hear me with so many wanting his attention, "Kintaii, please don't go. We will miss you so... I will miss you. Can you not find a way to stay"?

Perhaps it is just my mind playing tricks on me in my sorrow, but , over the distant breeze created from a departing guest's Yalm, I feel and hear a faint reply.

"Ah, Cariadast, I will never truly be gone from here".

"I am in the wind, the trees, the roots of this very world and wherever you go, I will be there. All of us who came before and have departed this world are. You will forever take a part of us with you, no matter where in it you travel".

"Now go! Go forward and watch for me on the wind...Keep an open mind and heart and do not be surprised to see me in others, as you will see me in yourself. For as long as you are here on Rubi-Ka, I will never truly be far from this place".

And with that, he was gone. Slowly dematerializing above the crowd of onlookers and well wishers, the mournful and the heart broken, the smile never leaving his face as he says his final good-bye.

Nodding to him only once as the last of him fades away, my hand reaches for the bell. My fingers taking hold, feeling Kintaii and Lindelu all around me now I ring the bell as I call their names as loudly as I can ...

"For Kintaii" *Bong*

"For Lindelu" *Bong*

...and listen as it too fades away. Ringing for our creators, our leaders and all of our friends who came before and then departed. Missed but never forgotten. Always here. Always a part of...wherever we go in this world.
    Last edited by Cariadast; Sep 21st, 2012 at 12:36:17. Reason: spelling

Thanks to all ARK who sacrificed (and still do) their time to make Rubi-Ka a better place to be.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

Damn you, Ana.
    Just when I can finally say I no longer miss AO, you have to pull a stunt like this. God, I miss playing. I miss writing my stories, I miss all my friends, I miss RP'ing. I even miss getting team ganked in BS. I hope FC gets its act together, cause it would be a sin to waste this game.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfytr View Post
    Damn you, Ana.
    Just when I can finally say I no longer miss AO, you have to pull a stunt like this. God, I miss playing. I miss writing my stories, I miss all my friends, I miss RP'ing. I even miss getting team ganked in BS. I hope FC gets its act together, cause it would be a sin to waste this game.
    So, come back! I wondered where you went! I always look for you at 4 holes when Im there... Im always expected to get ganked and then have a nice chat with the nice ...ganker :P

After the upgrade...maybe.
    Gunfytr 220/30/70 Soldier Lawdog80 220/30/70 Advy
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintaii View Post
    Because we said so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarrina View Post
    I am unamused. I strongly suggest you don't unamuse me further
    Quote Originally Posted by Means View Post
    This nano blocks CH. This is intended.

thats a lot of bong breaks for one storyy
    Shuzzy bureacrat

For the second time, you can score through my name

... uh-oh...
    Last edited by Venachar; Oct 3rd, 2012 at 20:31:12. Reason: Third time back, but I therefore only left twice. Venafail.
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

The Memorial

"Frostrune" *BONG*
    Last edited by Bekrowe; Nov 21st, 2012 at 06:51:18.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

"Pentaflake" *BONG*
    RK1 - Malaxia - NM Bureaucrat (220/30/70) - Master of soloing
    RK1 - Telbruk - Solitus Soldier (220/30/59) - Mostly harmless
    RK1 - Telbewbs - Solitus Doctor (220/30/65) - Raiding assistant
    RK1 - Telbot - Atrox Adventurer (59/4) - Lovechild raid bot
    RK1 - Sumonia - NM Meta-Physicist (83/6) - Mochies totem
    RK1 - Coustaille - NM Engineer (52/0) - Totw Twink
    Test - Mala - Solitus Agent (220/30/70) - Council of Testers

President of Cosmic Forklift Inc. & General of Primal Evolution & Live Liaison of Council of Testers

Everything you need for your crat is here
    Testlive fun : MMOATP and more! Join us!

Kayaleigh, despite all the personality clashes we had, who taught me from the start over 4 years ago now. Enjoy your retirement.

Frostrune, who made me possibly the quickest Operations Guardian in history, for having that faith in me and giving me a sound introduction in Operations, that I might move forward with confidence in this odd world we ARK's inhabit, even if my road eventually led away from Ops.
    Guardian Venachar
    Public Forums Moderator - Deputy Team Lead | Professionals Liaison
    Forums Team | Community Relations Department | Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Dapharmaist *BONG*

Dizzz *BONG*

RIP

Sucks to lose important people in the community..

but with thay said The roleplay chat log is reallllllllyyyyy unnecessary. I cringe whenever I read bad dialogue. Maybe a more formal display of names and what their role in the community was would be a better format..
    Leave "Marinegent" AScar - 220/23/65 Atrox Agent
    Wakeup "Marinesold" Screaming - 220/30/70 Nanomage Soldier
    "Moonmarin" - 220/30/80 Solitus Martial Artist
    "Marinekeep" - 215/18/4x Atrox Keeper
    Quote Originally Posted by CuisinartBlade View Post
    to be fair, 2.8k ar is enough to perk anyone except fixers, mas, advs, shades, nt's that blinded you, shield mps, bow mps that landed dazzle, def docs, crats, or marinesold

so all in all it's a fairly viable setup

The original post is traditional ARK stuff, so I'll leave it. The subsequent RP stuff isn't part of the tradition.
    Coordinator Anarrina
    Public Forums Moderation Team Lead
    Community Relations Department

Advisors of Rubi-Ka

Forum Social Guidelines // Social Events with ARK // Rubi-Ka Marriage Registry // ARK Tours // Join ARK!

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one. -- GRRM

The footing on the shoulders of Giants is very secure indeed. So secure in fact its often taken for granted.

*BONG*

As I ring the bell I realize I do not recognize most of the names on the list. As it's tone resonates in my ears I look around and find that I like what I see very very much.

I bow my head and thank the Giants for their work.

Cherelle stands, looking at a bell mounted on an A frame, the rope weakly swaying in the breeze. She approaches the bell, raising her hand slowly to grab the rope. She draws a long breath and closes her eyes, her eyelids forming a screen behind which appear the faces of those gone from Rubi-Ka, but not from her memory.

"Tussa" *BONG*

"Absyn" *BONG*

"Ragunn" *BONG*

"Ridgerunner" *BONG*

"Leannan" *BONG*

"Kiteran" *BONG*

"Sessai" *BONG*

"Juxiao" *BONG*

"Varija" *BONG*

"Kyriakos" *BONG*

"Badpacket" *BONG*

"Hto" *BONG*

"Astera" *BONG*

"Dookumi" *BONG*

The petite Opifex opens her eyes and turns her amber gaze up at the bell, her blurred vision making it dance strangely. For a moment, it almost looked like the bell waved back. She quirks her head a little.

"Huh... Well look at that..."

A weak smile appears on her lips.

That was very touching...

Here are a few that I remember who are not with us anymore:

"Krahn" *BONG*

"Middlewolf" *BONG*

"Zoil" *BONG*

"Trainame" *BONG*

"Gollar" *BONG*

"Vayden" *BONG*

"Merren" *BONG*

"Maxximo" *BONG*

"Xzaveer" *BONG*

"Asque" *BONG*

"Oles" *BONG*

I left out some of the ones that have already been mentioned by others even though their leaving saddens me.
    Last edited by Teknologist; Sep 19th, 2013 at 06:23:52.
    DROP TABLE AO.Secret_Nerf_Table

AOSpeak Site
    Join AOSpeak, the Anarchy Online Teamspeak 3 server!
    Send /tell speak help for more information.

I hope ARK doesn't mind me intruding on their memorial.

Byste sat at his gridspace terminal, casually browsing the mundane. It was rather cold this time of year on RK4. It'd been some time since he last visited RK5, and his special comlink for operations practically lay forgotten.

It took him by surprise when the device sprang to life with an alert. He checked the message slowly. It was from an old comrade of his, Gekko.

"Shaytal is dead."

Everyone dies all the time on Rubi-Ka, it's something you get used to. But permadeath for someone so young just isn't right. His stomach clenched, remembering. Shaytal had been there to help Byste find his bearings on Rubi-Ka. He helped him install his implants, learn his way around Old Athens, pick out his very first 3-slot belt tailored to his computer literacy. Now no one would have Shaytal to be there at their side. Damnit Shaytal, you never even earned your Master Creator title, did you? Byste knew what he had to do, and departed immediately.

Approaching the old ship's bell, Byste muttered, "This one's for you Shay. You touched a lot of people's lives. Some people didn't understand you, but no one will forget you." He heaved at the cord with all his strength.

*BONG*

EDIT: There is a wake planned for Shaytal at the Notum Tree in Avalon (/waypoint 2462.3, 1331.7, 505) on Saturday the 11th at 3pm EST. Everyone is welcome to honor his memory there. He passed away in his bed on Monday the 6th. The exact cause of death won't be known for a few weeks.
    Last edited by Byste; Jan 9th, 2014 at 04:41:49.
    Clan for life

Great orgs:
    -Defenders of Rubi Ka (PvM)
    -Devil Inside (PvP)
    -Equilibrium

Quote Originally Posted by jijie2 View Post
    have no make stone to for sword we make sword box for sword to put sword in for sword ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast