Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Monthly Development Update: August 2012

new engine is a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Vhab View Post
    We're using Cheetah for the new engine, which is the graphical portion of the new dreamworld engine used by TSW and AoC.
    There is no new engine but the Cheetah engine, and Vhab is its prophet.
    You gained 96 PVP Solo Score.
    Angelyna: (03:55) Srompu forces your NCU to run Feet of Stone...
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he's a 220 crat and srompu is probably wearing tl5 symbs
    [Theater of Tragedy] Johnnykay: he deserved to die

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    You don't see people wandering around screaming "THIS BOOK IN THE FIRST PERSON WOULD BE SO MUCH BETTER IF THE MAIN CHARACTER WAS A QUASIGENDER HAMSTER ON FIRE".

Srompu casted Ruse of taren too much and lost the 'u'

PS: You and Gator stopped playing Angry Birds?

Lazy's mom is a myth.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Lazy's mom is a myth.
    That means his dad birthed him? Ouch.

That explains Lazys' unique odor.

We're using Cheetah for the new engine, which is the graphical portion of the new dreamworld engine used by TSW and AoC.
    Ogre3D is lacking very important features to make the port work performance wise.
    The old engine is called 'Randy'.

To be honest, that video you showed doesn't look very good.
    It's a tech demo of a certain terrain generation and rendering algorithm.
    Yea... the old engine doesn't make me so "Randy" anymore.

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by mishikato View Post
    Yea... the old engine doesn't make me so "Randy" anymore.
    The sound engine is called Sandy
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

The sound engine is called Sandy
    I think you're getting waaaayyyy too close to the code, Vhab. You're not trying some kind of "Weird Science" experiment are you?

Funcom employee

Quote Originally Posted by Phixalicious View Post
    I think you're getting waaaayyyy too close to the code, Vhab. You're not trying some kind of "Weird Science" experiment are you?
    I take no blame for naming these. They've been called that since release
    My posts are my own and do not reflect the views of my current nor former employers/clients

Remco "Vhab" van Oosterhout
    Former Anarchy Online Game Programmer

Live Chat Support | E-mail Support | Forum Rules | AODevs | Vha.Chat

I take no blame for naming these. They've been called that since release
    Oh that's just great! Now I can't help but imagine you all over there saying "Raaannndy" in a husky manner visa vi Southpark when you are talking about the old engine.

Quote Originally Posted by mishikato View Post
    Oh that's just great! Now I can't help but imagine you all over there saying "Raaannndy" in a husky manner visa vi Southpark when you are talking about the old engine.
    Raaaaaaaaandy

I ALMOST CRIED at your PvP story .....

what a fricking joke, no wonder the FC staff dont know anything about theyr own game.

You guys need to higher some players that play this game 20hrs a day in both areas of pvm and pvp. Oh and read forum less, to many ideas from players that have not played the game in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaguar View Post
    I ALMOST CRIED at your PvP story .....

what a fricking joke, no wonder the FC staff dont know anything about theyr own game.

You guys need to higher some players that play this game 20hrs a day in both areas of pvm and pvp. Oh and read forum less, to many ideas from players that have not played the game in years.
    Nice way to totally confirm that pvp players are not nice. Lindelu's pvp story was exactly how many people got into pvp. Some go there from day 1, some never go, some are attracted.

I would also like to know how you can take that one story as a representation of everyone on the development team? But oh well, I guess you'll just come back with something flamey about how noobs should stfu and stay out of pvp because they only feed the enemy team etc..

Have fun pvp'ing alone in your tiny, closed circle.
    Ebony Cindersylph Sunset - Gothic Enforcer
    Pain leads to ascension... let me be your guide.

Quote Originally Posted by Cindersylph View Post
    Nice way to totally confirm that pvp players are not nice. Lindelu's pvp story was exactly how many people got into pvp. Some go there from day 1, some never go, some are attracted.

I would also like to know how you can take that one story as a representation of everyone on the development team? But oh well, I guess you'll just come back with something flamey about how noobs should stfu and stay out of pvp because they only feed the enemy team etc..

Have fun pvp'ing alone in your tiny, closed circle.

A lot of hate for nothing. And you kinda misunderstood my point.
    PvP now, even more than at the launch of AO is realllly messed up. What i ask as a pvpers is for FC to understand that when they launch items/perks/ LOL PROCS ( c`mon what is this lotto ? will my proc or not .. ) , is that it impacts hard on the game, and you should test it properly.
    Want some clues, here.

FunCom when you thought docs should have 20k nano and 30k hp, with pistols and perks, and MP, in pvp, did you think what that means ? doubt it.
    Funcom, when you decided that all profs that use a pistol should have theyr perks check on 80% did you really understood what you did ?
    Funcom when you have left for years and years the champ nano perks to use twice the aao 1 player had, did you think what you did ?
    The errors caused by not knowing the PvP environment have been and are done by FC.

Meanwhile, lets see PvM..... oh damn i have a crat / enf / sol / doc = end of game.

Good job.

10y and loving the game, but i just wish you would get some players to tell you some things about your own game. This unexploited GOLD MINE you have created.

Oh and 1 more thing, when you guys added this NEW pvp points things, was this ment to be a lifetime achievement ?! Really we cant play 100 years guys only for you to decide later that ... hey lets change it ...... have YOU EVEN THOUGHT HOW MUCH IT TAKES TO HIT LVL 10 ?!?!?!?!?! TEAM SINGLE AND DUELS ???? when you do nothing to promote pvp ? ... anyway, we all know you guys don't care about pvp, or the game at all as a matter of fact.
    Last edited by Shaguar; Sep 14th, 2012 at 12:19:18. Reason: adding the PvP point system ....... omg im crieing IRL

I don't need any clues I've hated how they screwed it all up in both pvm and pvp, doesn't matter what it is, it's been screwed by a poor balance in player power levels. Every class needs huge nerfs to various parts of their nanos/weapons/perks. But sadly, people are probably going to whine to no end if things are reduced in power level and things they could previously solo now takes 3 players or whatever... noone wants to accept nerfs even if the unnerfed state is what's killing the game off :|

But then, your point wasn't any of what it is in the above post, which is more specific. Thanks for that.
    Ebony Cindersylph Sunset - Gothic Enforcer
    Pain leads to ascension... let me be your guide.

It has been a year since my last post on these forums, i just wanted to cry a little here and in RL.

my 2 cents.

The old pvp system/titles had its own issues. It wasn't perfect. It did, however, give the player a possession that no other game can compare to. When you lost your Neophyte or Experienced / +... You were livid. It really added to the identity of the game, a presence.

The new system seems totally designed by a pvm'er that hated pvp and attempted to bring pvm mechanics to pvp. Perhaps it was to entice pvm'ers to pvp, hard to infer. Its crap nonetheless.

I'd be in favor of removing the experience-points like grindem'up. I'd favor bringing the old title 'system' back and replacing the old title names with the names of the new ones that are unique for each profession. IE, when you get enough points to get the next title, you go up one, if you lose points, you go down one.

Maybe throw in an option to lock points/titles so if you are at '10' you can still pvp and have some fun w/o losing your title. They'd be 'title hugging' but still participating.

The pvp system on live today is like an atrox walking into a fertility clinic.

ps, the social kill count needs to go too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaguar View Post
    stuff
    I pretty much agree to everything said in this post. While I agree the pvp titles shouldn't be supereasy to obtain, nor should it take 30 thousand kills to achieve the last title.. That's just absurb.. :/ This title system is as badly abused as the other one, so I don't see much difference.

Legacy title system had this 'thrill' while pvping, you never knew the outcome or the result after one round in bs. And the feeling to finally get that Novice title orwhatever after killing Apprentices/Neophytes really pays off.. But when you lose it, you'll go ragemachine and furiously wants more and more pvp.

I like kill counts, it's nice. Gives you an insight of how much you have killed - But The titles sucks.

What I'm really looking forward to is when nano cost nerf is coming, and doctors actually have to struggle to keep themselves and their allies alive.

As for PvM; Hey guess what? I'm an MP! I haven't even tried DB3, done any sort of PvM encounters in ages (Collector being the exception) Reason? I do not contribute to anything other than my cyboring and some mediocre DD and a small amount of damage reduction. Anything else, the other professions covers up a lot better. Sure you can say 'Just form your own teams and you'll be fine' I say that to others as well, and I do that too. But! Is this really what it is suppose to be like in an MMORPG? Do I really have to have powerfull friends in large amount and always form my own teams - Simply because I chose not to pick any of the golden four professions?

I know I came offtopic a lot, I'm sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by lunarsolace View Post
    my 2 cents.

The old pvp system/titles had its own issues. It wasn't perfect. It did, however, give the player a possession that no other game can compare to. When you lost your Neophyte or Experienced / +... You were livid. It really added to the identity of the game, a presence.

The new system seems totally designed by a pvm'er that hated pvp and attempted to bring pvm mechanics to pvp. Perhaps it was to entice pvm'ers to pvp, hard to infer. Its crap nonetheless.

I'd be in favor of removing the experience-points like grindem'up. I'd favor bringing the old title 'system' back and replacing the old title names with the names of the new ones that are unique for each profession. IE, when you get enough points to get the next title, you go up one, if you lose points, you go down one.

Maybe throw in an option to lock points/titles so if you are at '10' you can still pvp and have some fun w/o losing your title. They'd be 'title hugging' but still participating.

The pvp system on live today is like an atrox walking into a fertility clinic.

ps, the social kill count needs to go too.
    Mjeh, the new pvp system without a logging of Kill/Death ratio and similar stats, does promote a different playstyle that is less self preservative and more towards getting kills and not really caring much about death.
    Most modern pvp games have similar systems in place, giving some sort of overall progression and egging players on without a risk of being marked as a nobody based on their rank alone. However, most have far more granularity, allowing for a constant carrot in some way or another. On the side, they also track more indepth statistics, like accuracy, kill/death, assists, and so on... AO could do with a bit more indepth stat tracking like that.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Amount healed, damage dealt, damage recieved, damage mitigated (absorbs and reflects), successful hits, misses, most damage within 5 seconds, within 15 seconds, within 60 seconds.

Something tracking that sort of data, and allowing for both a total and a per round of BS or tower fight tracker. Asside from people realizing that most everything they argue about what every other profession has been able to do being entirely wrong, it would be nice.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast