Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Imba low leveling creds

Quote Originally Posted by sultryvoltron View Post
    I do believe the largest playerbase of all games is League of Legends. At the very least, over 300,000 people watched the season 2 playoffs yesterday just in English on streaming websites. There was also a stream for all other major languages, but I didn't look at how many those had watching. I don't think WoW has ever come close to anything like that, even in its hayday.

Also, WoW just put out a massive expansion. Before that, they were in a major slump according to some sources.
    Major slump was when they dropped from 11 million players to 9 million pre-MoP.

LoL isn't a subscription-based MMO, it's a free-to-play MOBA. Let's try to keep comparing apples to apples here.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    Major slump was when they dropped from 11 million players to 9 million pre-MoP.

LoL isn't a subscription-based MMO, it's a free-to-play MOBA. Let's try to keep comparing apples to apples here.
    I asked you if it was one of the largest GAMES currently.

If it has a larger playerbase, and it is a game, then it is a fair comparison. The point remains, the current gaming generation is not interested in grindy MMOs, and since FC is banking alot of this game's success around the New Player Experience and Graphics Engine drawing, and keeping, new players into this game, then they had damn sure better figure out how to keep people playing this MMO.

If players struggle to afford money for basic equipment through self-acquirable means, they will leave. Period. If they have to download third party applications and sit afk while they wait for a mission for an item that may or may not sell, or if they have to resort to begging, they will quit this game in a heartbeat.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

I asked you if it was one of the largest GAMES currently.

If it has a larger playerbase, and it is a game, then it is a fair comparison. The point remains, the current gaming generation is not interested in grindy MMOs, and since FC is banking alot of this game's success around the New Player Experience and Graphics Engine drawing, and keeping, new players into this game, then they had damn sure better figure out how to keep people playing this MMO.

If players struggle to afford money for basic equipment through self-acquirable means, they will leave. Period. If they have to download third party applications and sit afk while they wait for a mission for an item that may or may not sell, or if they have to resort to begging, they will quit this game in a heartbeat.
    if we're talking about GAMES then i'd hazard a guess and say chess is the most popular.

if we're talking about GAMES then i'd hazard a guess and say chess is the most popular.
    Pedantic ****.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Xirayne: I couldn't care less about who is clueless or what the exact definition "real" pvp is in ao, I want "fun" pvp!

Wow is unplayable without addons. Default map is ****. Default bars are ****. First thing you do is download cartographer, bartender and healbot if you play a healer. Custom cast bar and frames too as the defaults blow goats... also, Low-level play is frustrating slow and annoying if you don't have a levelling guide open on another monitor. So both of those arguements are invalid as both issues are present in the highest populated mmo ever made...

This is not to mention the fact that the best levelling gear is literally locked to having a sugardaddy main to run instances for points to buy boa crap...
    WoW is very much playable without addons. Default map is useful and readable. Default bars are easy to understand.
    Healers do not need to download any healing addons before max lvl, since all the content below is piss-easy.
    Low level playing is entirely guided, you are questing all the time and everytime you reach too high of a level there's a quest pointing you to the next questing hub. Also there's the dungeon-finder thing, that always drops you into a group with lvlappropriate content and decent xp.

Also, WoW tosses gear at you all the freaking time - during the normal leveling process you will always have decent gear, without having to do ANYTHING for it - it goes so far that you don't have to spent any ingame currency before max lvl on anything for your char (and even then, if you aren't raiding or pvping, there's no need at all to do so).

tl;dr: WoW is functional, easy to understand and holds your hand all the way till max lvl - you don't need to have any higher brain functions to get there or actually do any googling.

Pedantic ****.
    you know ... he just did the same thing you did.

edit: @topic - I like the idea of providing new players with some basic nodrop gear. But even more so I think the game giving them pointers on where to get better stuff would be useful.
    Shhhsss. Careful. Behind all the colours, there are ears, ears who listen.

give NPC banker who let hunt for u when u doesent pay ur monthly bill from the credit they give u.
    Make a head money (bountyhunters) to pvp players.
    each side they play , the guards start attacking him too.
    . much more open ideas
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. [attributed to Albert Einstein]

Quote Originally Posted by Nanostratege View Post
    WoW is very much playable without addons. Default map is useful and readable. Default bars are easy to understand.
    Healers do not need to download any healing addons before max lvl, since all the content below is piss-easy.
    Low level playing is entirely guided, you are questing all the time and everytime you reach too high of a level there's a quest pointing you to the next questing hub. Also there's the dungeon-finder thing, that always drops you into a group with lvlappropriate content and decent xp.

Also, WoW tosses gear at you all the freaking time - during the normal leveling process you will always have decent gear, without having to do ANYTHING for it - it goes so far that you don't have to spent any ingame currency before max lvl on anything for your char (and even then, if you aren't raiding or pvping, there's no need at all to do so).

tl;dr: WoW is functional, easy to understand and holds your hand all the way till max lvl - you don't need to have any higher brain functions to get there or actually do any googling.
    idk when i was levelling i always felt i was undergeared and underlevelled for what the quests were asking me to do and then i'd disscover i accidentally went to the next area and had to backtrack... i always got lost and had to check up on what to do and where to go on thotbot and ****.

the whole quest system is so convoluted and arbitrary and i hated to doing them.

and yea ht he defualt ui is good enough if you dont know better. once you get used to your addons it's hard going back. but it's the same thing with ao. it's playable without clicksaver and without AOIA and without custom maps, but these addons make your playing more enjoyable.
    Last edited by Lazy; Oct 5th, 2012 at 19:03:19.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanostratege View Post
    you know ... he just did the same thing you did.
    When you make a statement like:
    with something like 9 million subscribers, one would THINK WoW is the most populated games currently...
    Prepare to be corrected.

Also, I would guess that more people play Go than play Chess, considering population values. Either way, it is irrelevant in a discussion about online games on a forum for an online game. Lazy is, as always, just trolling.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Prepare to be corrected.

If it has a larger playerbase, and it is a game, then it is a fair comparison.

then prepare to include anything that can be called a game.

For froobs starting out in this game, it is literally impossible to make enough credits to afford basic gear, such as low level implants or weapons better than newbie island weapons, by being self-sufficent.
    It's impossible to make credits to afford basic gear or be self sufficient? That's funny because if that was true, there would be no froobs playing the game. In addition, the stuff that froobs need to play AO now is the same stuff that was needed to play AO pre-SL. People played AO pre-SL so logically, froobs can play AO now. Gotta hate when reality doesn't match your version.
    Last edited by Obtena; Oct 6th, 2012 at 02:50:19.
    Awwww muffin, need a tissue?

Quote Originally Posted by Obtena View Post
    It's impossible to make credits to afford basic gear or be self sufficient? That's funny because if that was true, there would be no froobs playing the game. In addition, the stuff that froobs need to play AO now is the same stuff that was needed before SL was released. People played AO pre-SL so logically, froobs can play AO now. Gotta hate when reality doesn't match your version.
    Between the two of us, I'm the only one who has tried to level a froob toon from scratch, and tried to earn credits without using third party websites and tools, unless I was told about them in game. I discovered that shop food that is found on newbie island is more valuable than shop food found in the subways or low level missions. You have not done that sort of testing, and therefore are not qualified to comment on the current state of the low level experience. I can back my statements up with numbers. You back your statements up with anecdotal evidence.

On top of that, clicksaver is broken. The method that I personally used to make credits when I started this game requires a player-made fix to a broken third party tool.

Also, as I already mentioned, I would have quit had I not been given 250k credits when I was new. As I also found on my froob character, the only way I was able to afford basic gear was from the charity of other players. It was not through my own efforts.

Saying that "it hasn't always been a problem for some players" is a very weak argument, because it doesn't refute the point that it has always been bad, and that it definitely needs to be adjusted.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

Between the two of us, I'm the only one ...
    Ah, it's cute when you making bad assumptions. I don't see how your experience excludes anyone from commenting on this, including myself. I personally know a number of froobs that have done extremely well, including all the people that played AO pre-SL without clicksaver. I would say that while this experience isn't personal, it is relevant to the discussion.

Saying that "it hasn't always been a problem for some players" is a very weak argument, because it doesn't refute the point that it has always been bad, and that it definitely needs to be adjusted.
    No one says that. It's 'bad' is subjective. I know very successful froobs while you claim it's impossible to actually be one. Saying it's impossible to play AO as a froob is complete nonsense. Clicksaver didn't always exist for the first people playing AO either yet ... they still managed to play and ALOT of them ... alot more than play now in fact. Froobs can too .. they play the same game they did WITH clicksaver or not. Go figure.
    Last edited by Obtena; Oct 6th, 2012 at 04:07:38.

Ah, it's cute when you making bad assumptions. I don't see how your experience excludes anyone from commenting on this, including myself. I personally know a number of froobs that have done extremely well, including all the people that played AO pre-SL without clicksaver. I would say that while this experience isn't personal, it is relevant to the discussion.

No one says that. It's 'bad' is subjective. I know very successful froobs while you claim it's impossible to actually be one. Saying it's impossible to play AO as a froob is complete nonsense. Clicksaver didn't always exist for the first people playing AO either yet ... they still managed to play and ALOT of them ... alot more than play now in fact. Froobs can too .. they play the same game they did WITH clicksaver or not. Go figure.
    You're putting words in my mouth, as always.

You might notice, the discussion is not about froobs. It's about low level players. I'll give you some time to reread every post in the thread, now that you know what the topic is.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

It's impossible to make credits to afford basic gear or be self sufficient? That's funny because if that was true, there would be no froobs playing the game. In addition, the stuff that froobs need to play AO now is the same stuff that was needed to play AO pre-SL. People played AO pre-SL so logically, froobs can play AO now. Gotta hate when reality doesn't match your version.
    how ****ed up is your brain, back then people did mostly missions, dynas and dungeons. most of the stuff they needed was dropping from their enemies. back then it still was TEAM-based. with healers and tank and stuff..

you cant say todays froobs and sloobs are totally fine money-wise because 10 years ago it was perfectly fine as well. heck even the currency got inflated by factor x1000.

god please throw down brains.
    Last edited by slythea; Oct 6th, 2012 at 13:03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by slythea View Post
    ... even the currency got inflated by factor x1000.
    You're confused ... currency doesn't inflate, the cost of the items people are interested in does. Fortunately for them, the kind of stuff they want to buy is super cheap because it's 'froob junk'. They are playing the same game that was released 10 years ago and those items are plentiful and almost irrelevant to any paid player. You hit the nail on the head ... if people want to be successful in this game, they should do what they were doing 10 years ago. That's a people problem, not a game one.
    Last edited by Obtena; Oct 6th, 2012 at 14:41:13.

You might notice, the discussion is not about froobs. It's about low level players. I'll give you some time to reread every post in the thread, now that you know what the topic is.
    Doesn't really matter. In fact, it's still the same argument. The fact that people have been playing this game starting from absolutely nothing at every stage of it's existence shows it's not impossible to be self-sufficient, regardless of froob, sloob, or fully paid. If it was impossible, this game wouldn't exist because it wouldn't be playable. I think the only thing you are demonstrating here is your narrow experience based on players that think everything has to be purchased. The rich people with everything in this game are the farmers, not the buyers. Think about that.
    Last edited by Obtena; Oct 6th, 2012 at 14:33:05.

Between the two of us, I'm the only one who has tried to level a froob toon from scratch, and tried to earn credits without using third party websites and tools, unless I was told about them in game. I discovered that shop food that is found on newbie island is more valuable than shop food found in the subways or low level missions. You have not done that sort of testing, and therefore are not qualified to comment on the current state of the low level experience. I can back my statements up with numbers. You back your statements up with anecdotal evidence.

On top of that, clicksaver is broken. The method that I personally used to make credits when I started this game requires a player-made fix to a broken third party tool.

Also, as I already mentioned, I would have quit had I not been given 250k credits when I was new. As I also found on my froob character, the only way I was able to afford basic gear was from the charity of other players. It was not through my own efforts.

i dont understand where the idea comes from that you need to be told how to do something by the game for it to "count". does no one but me play MMO's with guides open on a 2nd monitor? i feel like i'm the only one that researches the class i wanna play and reads forum guides before diving in...

there's at least 50 guides on how to make money as a lowbie on these forums. it takes about 5 minutes of reading to figure out how to make more money than you know what to do with in about 2 hours after quickly scanning the forums. hell if you're too lazy to do that you can always ask OOC channels "amg guise how i maek da credz?!" and be swiftly told by at least 5 people a link to a forum guide, a link t o auno and at least 5 different methods of reliably and quickly making a small fortune.

seriously guy. exactly how much hand-holding are you expecting?

anyway, herp derp i tried to do what you did and started a new toon without support from my main toon and without using my previous knowledge of the game to see how hard it really was.. since i'm not mentally handicapped and don't have a paralyzing fear of success, the first thing i did after i got off noob island is asked in OOC how to make money and was swiftly told about clicksaver, ao-universe, these forums, auno, xyphos, recipebot, helpbot, offered an inviute into a lowbie-friendly org, handed a lowbie starter kit with a medsuit in it, ground out level 15 in the subway, rolled a set of concrete cushions and sold them, bought a set of implants and went off to farm a Liquid Storage Vat, a weird looking bomb and do the basic armor quest which i sold for 30 million credits and had more money than i knew what to do with. the end.
    Last edited by Lazy; Oct 6th, 2012 at 15:04:58.

Doesn't really matter. In fact, it's still the same argument. The fact that people have been playing this game starting from absolutely nothing at every stage of it's existence shows it's not impossible to be self-sufficient, regardless of froob, sloob, or fully paid. If it was impossible, this game wouldn't exist because it wouldn't be playable. I think the only thing you are demonstrating here is your narrow experience based on players that think everything has to be purchased. The rich people with everything in this game are the farmers, not the buyers. Think about that.
    How are you going to farm a set of ql 30 implants and clusters? Oh, that's right, you still don't know what this thread is about.
    i dont understand where the idea comes from that you need to be told how to do something by the game for it to "count". does no one but me play MMO's with guides open on a 2nd monitor? i feel like i'm the only one that researches the class i wanna play and reads forum guides before diving in...

there's at least 50 guides on how to make money as a lowbie on these forums. it takes about 5 minutes of reading to figure out how to make more money than you know what to do with in about 2 hours after quickly scanning the forums. hell if you're too lazy to do that you can always ask OOC channels "amg guise how i maek da credz?!" and be swiftly told by at least 5 people a link to a forum guide, a link t o auno and at least 5 different methods of reliably and quickly making a small fortune.

seriously guy. exactly how much hand-holding are you expecting?

anyway, herp derp i tried to do what you did and started a new toon without support from my main toon and without using my previous knowledge of the game to see how hard it really was.. since i'm not mentally handicapped and don't have a paralyzing fear of success, the first thing i did after i got off noob island is asked in OOC how to make money and was swiftly told about clicksaver, ao-universe, these forums, auno, xyphos, recipebot, helpbot, offered an inviute into a lowbie-friendly org, handed a lowbie starter kit with a medsuit in it, ground out level 15 in the subway, rolled a set of concrete cushions and sold them, bought a set of implants and went off to farm a Liquid Storage Vat, a weird looking bomb and do the basic armor quest which i sold for 30 million credits and had more money than i knew what to do with. the end.
    You're responding to people like this is a suggestion that veterans would benefit from. Why does it have to require so much effort to be able to afford basic equipment? FC already acknowledges that this game has very very low new player retention. New players don't stick around this game very long, and for it to survive that HAS to change.

A more truthful story about a casual player who was new to this game is a friend who started at the same time. While I was making money afk using clicksaver, he was playing the game. He deleted his toon around level 45, still wearing newbie island weapons and garbage implants that he found in the subway.
    Last edited by sultryvoltron; Oct 6th, 2012 at 16:22:10.
    The Fine Arts:
    Mime | Surgery | Zen
    The Traitor

A more truthful story about a casual player who was new to this game is a friend who started at the same time. While I was making money afk using clicksaver, he was playing the game. He deleted his toon around level 45, still wearing newbie island weapons and garbage implants that he found in the subway.
    sucks for your friend. he should have asked in OOC.

sucks for your friend. he should have asked in OOC.
    Aw, dude, it's Captain Hindsight.

Captain Hindsight the hero of the modren age. Once a reporter for the National News, Jack Brolin always had a knack for hindsight. ["Perhaps they should have called the police sooner"] Wanting to become the best-known reporter in the country, Jack tried an experiment to boost his hindsight levels. But then a freakish accident occured when a retroactive spider got into the equipment. The reporter's hinsight was blasted to superhuman levels! For months he was able to use his new powers for good, fighting for peace, and the American way. With his three trusty companions, Shoulda, Coulda, and Woulda. But now, the Handsight that has saved so many threatens to consume Jack's very soul. It's Captaiiin Hindsight!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast