Thread: Some add damage theory crafting

Some add damage theory crafting

So I've been giving this a lot of thought lately, mainly because I'm playing AO again.

I've been playing all the profs I have access to, in different scenarios, doing different things, PVP, towers, dueling, AI raids, buff farming (DB2 particularly), a bit of collector, lowby leveling, tiigs, nasc hecks.

Thats it, for activities in the last few weeks.

But, I've been tossing ideas around in my head, and grappling with the effect, hypothesizing, and trying to max/min certain setups and wondering just how well things would fair under X,Y, Z type scenarios. Then I go home and after the kids are in bed and the wife is parked playing some game where she grows a garden, I fire up AO and see if I can test my theories and assumptions.

So, I've been playing 220 MA, 220 engi, 220 soldier, 220 advy, 220 crat, 170 keeper, 1-50 advy the last little while, and here's a few kinda interesting tidbits of knowledge I've pulled out of game lately.

1. high AR profs that gain a lot of damage from perks and procs are faring very well after Add Damage Patch (ADP)

2. evade profs that can avoid perk damage and proc damage are faring very well after ADP

3. profs with more damage perks, more procs, and more opportunities to LAND hits are doing very well

4. profs with naturally high AR, and naturally balanced AR and add damage are doing very well

5. profs that have good natural add damage, and have several options as to application are doing very well (nukes, low check perks, lots of specials, 100% to hit specials)

6. Profs that have low evades are faring worse than ADP (ie. rely on blockers, HP, healing)

7. Profs that are necessarily reliant on large damage specials, but relatively low AR are faring much worse than before ADP

Basically, this sums up my observations so far. A lot of these observations have occurred in skirmishes with players, roughly 5 or 6 vs a similar number of opponents.

So, I've been used to playing on an engineer in war (I play primarily engi or crat or both, with one on follow). But I had also brought my MA to war a few times because I was bored. Remarkably, some of the best fights I had was when I was on my MA and not my engi. Engies I've found, since the ADP are just getting raped.

And I don't mean that in the way where you get rooted and then you see incoming damage and then you're toast... I mean, if you get targeted by one person, they will just launch all their perks, chew through your coon, kill through your reflects and bio R and you will be roasted in a matter of seconds vs any reasonably offensive prof (enforcer, keeper, MA, soldier, fixer (ouch), shade obviously, NT obviously, advy). Remarkably, for most of the profs listed, specials weren't even an issue in the least. Sure, blockers go down more quickly now than they ever did previously, but, thats not even the issue. The issue is that your health just drops like a rock. The perk damage flying around is crazy. Engies are, unfortunately basically never able to avoid perk damage so, with the perk damage what it is now, engies really took the short end of the stick.

NT's, doctors, soldiers to some extent, all facing the same problem. Soldiers, however, still have a buttload of defence that works precisely well against perk damage so they are certainly not having a problem... docs are almost useless in PVP if they are known to the opposition, unless there is another doc who is dedicated to cross healing.

Kiting however, is still a very reliable way of removing the opportunity to take damage.

Evade profs, and, particularly evade profs with naturally high AR, and specifically high AR, high natural add damage, lots of perks/pecials, really came out ahead with ADP

* fixers gained hugely on this,

* MA's did as well, but have far fewer perk actions, far fewer specials, and have to balance AR vs defence in order to survive, whereas fixers have extra natural 1k AAD at 220 which means the rest of the setup can be dedicated to AR and add damage with no consequence),

* enforcers, obviously gaining a lot with lots of naturally available AR and add damage, and a large number of perks with low checks keeps enforcers as potentially the biggest gainers (but, interestingly, the gain isn't as signficant as enforcer killpower in the alpha has never been in question - for example, if enforcers had gained on sustainable damage, it would have been a significantly larger gain). And...

* keepers - remarkably have gained significantly. with the 2nd or third highest naturally occuring and maintainable AR, keepers have become undoubtably stronger in PVM and PVP. Normals, paired with the stacked add damage on procs and perks has greatly increased keepers alphas AND thier sustained damage - adding to that, their natural affinity for evasion (especially with OSB's+crat auras) keepers not only have very good ability to not suffer extra perk damage, but can mitigate damage that is taken with reflects and moderate healing capability. I see keepers as possibly the most significant gainers on the ADP for the following reasons:

1. highest (or close to it) naturally occuring AR
    2. highest number of perk actions per minute (I counted 16 in another thread) in a DPS setup, 14 in a non DPS setup, not to mention SnD getting 4 hits with add damage affected
    3. high naturally occuring add damage setup
    4. moderately high evades with obvious support mechanisms for balanced defence if required
    5. prof has access to proc damage sanctifier line offering 19% proc chance on http://auno.org/ao/db.php?id=222983 which can provide potentially another ~6-8 hits per minute affected by add dmg
    6. Benefits greatly from other profs auras (for example, keeper gains on both aspects of improved heroic measures, wheras, engineers conversly really only benefit from the 133 AAO portion)

So, based on all of this, I'm thinking of reactivating a friends account with a fully outfitted 220 keeper.

Despite being at a (sustained) retarded disadvantage in PVP due to kiting, remarkably the overall survivability vs offensive capability is good enough that it looks like it's worth playing again.

MA's as well gained a bit due to having the highest naturally occuring capability for add damage, but have very few perks, and MA attacks just aren't effective enough to merit real threat, swaps are and always have been buggy which on the move, resulting in lack of functionality, therefore my considerations of MA's involve a duel shen setup (which I've successfully used for PVP over the last 3 years or so despite peoples claims that it doesn't work), But MA's gains pale in comparison to fixers who gained far more just because of the non-requirement to balance offense and defence, and obviously because they have way more ranged specials. To add to this, MA's as well lost out hugely with lack of proc damage (most recent patch) which had previously added up to ~20 extra hits per minute that were all add damage affected (bringing natural dps capability above keepers and nearly that of shades in terms of net benefit) however, since that patch, MA's have gained less than almost every other prof (but because of naturally second/third highest naturally occuring evades, are coming out ahead in terms of relative survivability).

So, overall strongest prof right now in PVP: fixers, crats, advies (do NOT underestimate mother wolf! plus adding great team heals they are actually better than doctors by a significant margin imo)

Engies I think are actually not even on the "strong prof list" anymore due to prominence of perk damage over special damage and therefore are on the receiving end ALL the time of perks, and their special blockers are nearly useless compared to crats + advies+keepers bringing big evades to the table.

Prof on the move? keepers, without a doubt... keep an eye out, they may soon be much more dominant at TL7 mass PVP than they have been in many years.
    Last edited by McKnuckleSamwich; Aug 1st, 2012 at 05:33:20.

Interesting somehow...
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Dumonde
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Rank1
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Maxwell
    ..:: 220|30|70|e|::.. Zidane
    ..:: 220|28|66|e|::.. Isaak
    ..:: 215|20|56|e|::.. Rumb0
    ..:: 215|15|29|e|::.. Tiesto-1
    ..:: 212|17|46|e|::.. Pulsedriver
    ..:: 210|08|09|e|::.. Unseen

.. :: Punk :: ..

expect a slow shift. people are so brainwashed by current game mechanics that it's unlikely they will understand the current capability by profs with good access to perks and procs.

plus, keepers have been so downtrodden for so long it'll take a miracle for anyone to roll one for anythign other than buff totem...

But trust me after seeing doc+engi drop like rocks in PVP, and seeing the availability of loads of add dmg in so many items and buffs and auras, you'd bettr believe the smart people will catch on quickly.

fast execution perks stacking with reasonable proc chance and lots of add damage will destroy many doctors, NT's and engies before the next patch hits.

Quote Originally Posted by McKnuckleSamwich View Post
    xxxxxxxxxxxx.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXxx 2 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

xxxxxxxx.

xxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

xxxxxxxx 220 x 220 x 220 x 220 x, 220x 170 x 1 50 xxxxxxxxxxxxx.

1. xxxxxxxxxxx
    2. xxxxxxxxxxxx
    3. xxxxx

4.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    5.xxxxxxxxxxx100xxxxxxxxxx
    6. xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    7. xxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 5 x 6 xxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*xxxxxxx

* xxxxxxxxxxx 1k xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 220 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

* xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*xxxxx2xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1. xxxxxxxxxxxx
    2. xxxxxxxxxxxxx16xxxxxxxxxxx 14 xxxxxx 4xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    3. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    4.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    5. xxxxxxxxx 19 xxxxxxxxxxxxx ~6-8 xxxxxxxxxxx
    6. xxxxxxxxxxxxx 133 xx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 220 xxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 20 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxxxxx
    xxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 7 xxxxx
    pretty decent reasoning.. but threre is something i'd like to see more.. not sure what it is..
    You hit Tarasque with nanobots for 18280 points of melee damage.
    First shade with Blades of Boltar
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    pretty decent reasoning.. but threre is something i'd like to see more.. not sure what it is..
    More numbers perhaps?
    Mizufluffy (220/30/??) MA # Hopeasaukko (216/27/??) NT # Mustarotta (100/10/28) Crat
    Mustarotta's Foreman (Biomare) Service for Hire (unavailable)
    Some of my froobs on RK2: Neuzoire, Denzyr, Hinami, Hinachan, Zetblanc, Dalanope, Chenin, Reandway (I'm more active on characters with yellow name)

Yeah, for a theorycrafting thread it's pretty light on the actual theorycrafting.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

hyposthesizing perhaps?

hyposthesizecrafting? dunno if thats a word.

The problem with theorycrafting with AO is that theres so much give and take once you get into endgame. Theres no "this is the max AR for X prof" type thing, because, simply the consequence of maxing AR is usually just too detrimental to defence (with exception to soldier).

Therefore, the traditional sort of theorycrafting doesn't really apply - only philosophizing really.

Fantastic post! Well written and thought out. Don't let others get you down, I liked it!

My two cents:

On my 160 agent, ADP fixers are a lot stronger against me. Agents are perkable and are also easier to kill than docs (both less healing and HP). It used be be a rare thing dying to a fixer alpha, but it happens much more frequently now. Also I don't have too many dmg perks, and the ones I do have are veeery slowwwwww, so I have not noticed any offensive gain, especially against fixers who I can't perk anyway. Overall, I think TL5 agents are a bit weaker than they used to be. However, there is one area where I feel strongly improved -- kiting ely hecks! ADP, I can kite hecks like a champ!

On my 206 keeper, I feel like I out perform what I 'should' be doing. My alpha is much better than I anticipated. In mass pvp I can land perks on many people, and it does quite a bit of damage, so that is consistant with your theory about having many fast executing perks as well as being able to land them. And this is not particularly twinked either (never been to pande, no CC, no level 10 research, no HEoT, etc) Of course, I still die immediately to any 220, but I am still really happy with keeper performance given the level/gear.

One common complaint against keepers is the lack of dmg, but I have actually ranked pretty highly in damage dumpers. I do think this is because a lot of dmg comes from perks, and ADP perks are better.

This last part I'm not sure about. On my 160 agent, against NTs I *think* there is a noticible difference. I've been hit with triples for 8-9K, with HP around 10K. Not entirely sure if this is due to ADP, or me just noticing it more due to insta-dying with basically full HP. Again, this is vs 200 NTs, who I think have more +dmg gear than +nano dmg% gear.

Edit: Also, I'm not sure about engi being *that* bad ADP. I suspect if engi's got nerfed that bad someone would be able to get the 2B bounty for dueling that RK1 engi.
    Last edited by horrible; Aug 6th, 2012 at 17:37:24.
    I am Horrible

hyposthesizing perhaps?

hyposthesizecrafting? dunno if thats a word.

The problem with theorycrafting with AO is that theres so much give and take once you get into endgame. Theres no "this is the max AR for X prof" type thing, because, simply the consequence of maxing AR is usually just too detrimental to defence (with exception to soldier).

Therefore, the traditional sort of theorycrafting doesn't really apply - only philosophizing really.
    Not really. Theorycrafting is about studying the numbers and coming up with conclusions based on what is essentially a scientific process. For example, a very simple and commonly-known piece of theorycraft is that dual-wielders get 50% more out of +damage for autoattacks compared to single-wielders. Theorycrafting is very applicable to AO, it's just not common for a number reasons, some of which include the opacity of certain mechanics, low player base, and lack of difficult endgame PVM or a highly competitive PVP scene.
    I am wiser than any god or scientist, for I have squared the circle and cubed Earth's sphere, thus I have created 4 simultaneous separate 24 hour days within a 4-corner (as in a 4-corner classroom) rotation of Earth. See for yourself the absolute proof.

Quote Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
    Not really. Theorycrafting is about studying the numbers and coming up with conclusions based on what is essentially a scientific process. For example, a very simple and commonly-known piece of theorycraft is that dual-wielders get 50% more out of +damage for autoattacks compared to single-wielders. Theorycrafting is very applicable to AO, it's just not common for a number reasons, some of which include the opacity of certain mechanics, low player base, and lack of difficult endgame PVM or a highly competitive PVP scene.
    It's not that difficult to figure out most aspects of AO, given the availability of information. Essentially, you press shift, Left click, and checks to a perk/attack/item are visible.

It doesn't get more transparent than that.

Where things get interesting, is when you've got big bulk changes that can impact several people at once, all operating in concert. You can't put numbers on team dynamics, or, how well 6 people can communicate with or without verbal coms, but what you can do is hypothesize about the net effect.

And thats what it comes down to. You look at prof distribution (Clan side, RK2) and you see at war 3-4 engies, and a spattering of other people. And, I'm saying, as one of those engies, we're going to be better served using a different and more mixed prof breakdown.

Thumbs up

It's not that difficult to figure out most aspects of AO, given the availability of information. Essentially, you press shift, Left click, and checks to a perk/attack/item are visible.

It doesn't get more transparent than that.
    I'm talking about the math side of it. Nobody knows precisely how aggdef affects attack and defense ratings, for example. It would require a huge amount of testing to pin that down.
    Where things get interesting, is when you've got big bulk changes that can impact several people at once, all operating in concert. You can't put numbers on team dynamics, or, how well 6 people can communicate with or without verbal coms, but what you can do is hypothesize about the net effect.
    Theorycraft isn't about things that are (near-)impossible to quantify, like player skill or group dynamics, it's just about analyzing data. i.e., "how much damage could I potentially do with X gear and Y build", or "which item will give more DPS in a given situation".

how much damage could I potentially do with X gear and Y build"
    most polular answer would be "you do enough with that gear/build/rotation, if not, add more AAO and AAD and solo stuff"
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Shades are faring well, with their moderate damage, 25% procs going from about 750 up to 2000

keepers too.

I played a fully kitted 220 keeper and MR alpha'd an advy and another keeper through coon in a few duels the other night.

the procs are doing great damage... perks, are awesome.

So, total outcome of theory crafting is "some professions gained more damage than others".
    And you have no idea how much damage, for example, MA actually gained.
    (i picked your main character because i guess you know its capabilities best)

quite in-depth analyzing indeed.
    Last edited by Otansaanpas; Aug 27th, 2012 at 07:58:14.
    ---
    How much is enough?
    Member of Halinallet!

Quote Originally Posted by Otansaanpas View Post
    So, total outcome of theory crafting is "some professions gained more damage than others".
    And you have no idea how much damage, for example, MA actually gained.
    (i picked your main character because i guess you know its capabilities best)

quite in-depth analyzing indeed.
    For MA's, with 1k add dmg

They gained over 1 minute, roughly:

1k dmg on crave *60/65
    1k dmg on bore *60/120
    1k dmg on feast *60/65
    1k dmg on bot confinement *60/120
    1k dmg on dragonfire *60/60
    1k dmg on tremor hand *60/65
    1k dmg on chi conductor *60/65
    1k dmg on flesh quiver *60/60
    obliterate is used once in a blue moon so can't count that.
    1k dmg on UWOS *60/45
    1k dmg on ape fist of khalum*60/19
    1k dmg on sai fung *60/120

= 10683 dmg/minute gained on perks

now, because disharmony is borked, they lost 300dmg*50%*(~50 hits/minute)= 7500 dmg

For a net increase of 3184 dmg/minute

Not exactly stellar.

I didn't talk about MA's in particular, because they are so screwed atm (with bad latency) that they aren't worth talking about.

MA's went down the list of good. Keepers, enforcers, shades moved up.

For example, a very simple and commonly-known piece of theorycraft is that dual-wielders get 50% more out of +damage for autoattacks compared to single-wielders.
    Horribly off-topic really but you don't accept PM's so it really is your fault anyways

I am kinda interested in how you arrived at 50%, it looks kinda dodgy as 30 vs. 40 attacks per min would make for a 33% increase. Typo?
    Last edited by Notcrattey; Today at 05:51:45. Reason: Didn't actually edit it, was a mistake!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrauma View Post
    Horribly off-topic really but you don't accept PM's so it really is your fault anyways

I am kinda interested in how you arrived at 50%, it looks kinda dodgy as 30 vs. 40 attacks per min would make for a 33% increase. Typo?
    Yeah, I was thinking 20/30 attacks per minute instead of 30/40. I'm not sure why.

For MA's, with 1k add dmg

They gained over 1 minute, roughly:

1k dmg on crave *60/65
    1k dmg on bore *60/120
    1k dmg on feast *60/65
    1k dmg on bot confinement *60/120
    1k dmg on dragonfire *60/60
    1k dmg on tremor hand *60/65
    1k dmg on chi conductor *60/65
    1k dmg on flesh quiver *60/60
    obliterate is used once in a blue moon so can't count that.
    1k dmg on UWOS *60/45
    1k dmg on ape fist of khalum*60/19
    1k dmg on sai fung *60/120

= 10683 dmg/minute gained on perks

now, because disharmony is borked, they lost 300dmg*50%*(~50 hits/minute)= 7500 dmg

For a net increase of 3184 dmg/minute

Not exactly stellar.
    MA's lost more damage if you consider %nanodamage affected the proc hit. My PVE build was hitting for around 352 on the proc. Most others would be a bit lower but the damage is still higher.

For my MA it would be closer to ~9800 damage lost but even less gained because I had less damage perks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogtrauma View Post

If you include specials it is even lower.
    Last edited by Gatester; Aug 27th, 2012 at 15:52:34.